Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   80's Horror Recommendations Needed (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68655)

deaddread 06-05-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1032977)
Based on you liking the Demons, you might films from the same or similar Italian directors: The Beyond (1981), Zombi2, Phenomena, Cemetery Man.

But you also liked Evil Dead 2, Fright Night and Near Dark, so I just think you have a good taste in many types of horror, so I'll just give some 80's horror I think you'd like as well:

Scanners (1981)
The Thing (1982)
The Fly (1986)
Re-Animator (1985)
Videodrome (1983)
Poltergeist (1982)
The Howling (1981)
Day of the Dead (1985)
Christine (1983)
The Funhouse (1981)
Aliens (1987)
The Howling (1981)
The Shining (1980)
Poltergeist (1982)

Watched update:

The Thing (1982) Really enjoyed the atmosphere and special effects makeup
The Fly (1986) Really well written and well rounded movie
Re-Animator (1985) I had a lot of fun with this one
Videodrome (1983) A very unique experience, I really liked this one as well
The Funhouse (1981) Also enjoyed this one
Aliens (1987) Fun, action packed
The Shining (1980) Good slow burn

Thanks again for all of the recommendations. Now that I have a shudder subscription I can watch them before I buy them which helps me save some money. Although I went to Texas Frightmare and bought a bunch of random Arrow video releases that I had never heard of.

Sculpt 06-06-2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deaddread (Post 1038500)
Watched update:

The Thing (1982) Really enjoyed the atmosphere and special effects makeup
The Fly (1986) Really well written and well rounded movie
Re-Animator (1985) I had a lot of fun with this one
Videodrome (1983) A very unique experience, I really liked this one as well
The Funhouse (1981) Also enjoyed this one
Aliens (1987) Fun, action packed
The Shining (1980) Good slow burn

Thanks again for all of the recommendations. Now that I have a shudder subscription I can watch them before I buy them which helps me save some money. Although I went to Texas Frightmare and bought a bunch of random Arrow video releases that I had never heard of.

Cool! glad you liked those. Love to see peeps enjoy these classics for the first time, especially The Thing, Fly and Aliens, definitely modern classics.

Videodrome is an odd one, isn't it? The symbolism is right on the surface as far as media experience recreating people, but I'm not quite sure what the ending was trying to say.

deaddread 06-08-2019 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1038503)
Videodrome is an odd one, isn't it? The symbolism is right on the surface as far as media experience recreating people, but I'm not quite sure what the ending was trying to say.

Videodrome was an experience for sure. It really did say a lot about being influenced by the media with it's use of very literal body horror. I'm not quite sure what it meant either, I believe I read somewhere that there are 5 different endings.

Horrorloverman 06-22-2019 11:30 AM

1980s Horror

Alone in the dark (great actors)
An american werewolve in london (The best in its type)
Cats eye
Children of the corn
The hand

Zombie Fanatic 08-08-2019 04:37 PM

George Romero's Day of the Dead

MichaelMyers 08-09-2019 03:42 AM

Chopping Mall

deaddread 02-28-2020 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horrorloverman (Post 1038627)
Alone in the dark (great actors)
An american werewolve in london (The best in its type)
Cats eye
Children of the corn
The hand

I haven't heard of the first one but I'll look it up.

I've heard of An American Werewolf in London but never seen it I'll add it to the list.

Cats eye looks familiar.

Loved Children of the Corn.

I'll have to look up the Hand.

deaddread 02-28-2020 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Fanatic (Post 1039104)
George Romero's Day of the Dead

That is on the list - I recently finished Night and Dawn. I really liked Night but I only liked the beginning of Dawn.

deaddread 02-28-2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjooiska (Post 1041277)
The Return of the Living Dead?

I've just recently seen this one - it was really fun! It was super creative with the pratical effects.

classic_horror_fan 04-03-2020 06:56 AM

There are so many great horror films from the 1980s, it can be hard knowing where to begin! A lot of them have already been mentioned on this threat at one point or another! Some of the lesser mentioned ones that come to mind are The Dead Zone, Christine, C.H.U.D., The Children(1980), Curse Of The Cannibal Confederates, Umberto Lenzi's Eaten Alive, Ghoulies series, Munchies, Nightbreed, Near Dark, The Burning, Humongous, The Initiation, The Babysitter(William Shatner), April Fool's Day, Dead Pit, Crash and Burn, Full Moon's Oblivion, Scanners, Trancers, The Willies, Dead Time Stories, Terrorgram, Spookies, Wolfen, Nightmare(1981), The Boogey Man, Home Sweet Home, Blood Diner, Night Of The Creeps, Terror Vision, Surf Nazis Must Die, Zombie Island Massacre, The Newlydeads, Shadow Zone, Critters, The Kiss, Alligator, Dark Night Of The Scarecrow, Prince Of Darkness, The Serpent And The Rainbow, Cellar Dwellar, to name a few! ::EEK!::