Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Books & Fiction Writing (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What book u reading at the moment? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19622)

Vodstok 06-08-2005 04:25 AM

Dean Koontz had a spate of good books like Watchers, Phantoms, Midnight anbd Lightning, but he misses way more often than he hits. It's like he writes novels for every single idea he has, and just hopes some of them dont suck.

AUSTIN316426808 06-12-2005 07:35 PM

Vampires

the best one is from Bram Stoker, go figure.

urgeok 06-13-2005 01:22 AM

i'm reading that Dale Brown book (or is it Dan ?)

Angels and Demons - the prequel to the Davinci Code...

the guy everyone is raving about and reading on the subways ..

i'm not liking it ... very simplistic ... tries to dazzle with 'true facts'
actual prose is pedestrian... and falls into every cliche thriller trap possible.

(beautiful daughter of a scientist for the hero to fall in love with ...)

yeah, thats never been done before.

Why do they always insist on a rediculous love story when one isnt warrented ?

AUSTIN316426808 06-18-2005 03:54 AM

I'm reading some shit called House of Bones, not liking it so far

MisterSadistro 06-23-2005 12:33 AM

Does not finishing a book because it had a stupid and unbelievable conclusion count ? Then the last book I almost finished reading was Dean Koontz's 'House of Thunder' this morning. Everything was cool until (SPOILER!) we find out that the heroine's nightmares are all because she's actually being brainwashed by Soviets who captured her a year before. What a crappy way to finish off what was a really good book up until then. Worst of all is I have another Koontz book on my desk I was going to read afterwards. I'm tempted to read the ending first just to make sure it doesn't end up as lame as this one.
CK

urgeok 06-23-2005 02:24 AM

finished the Dan Brown book ...Angels and Demons ...

full of history facts to mask the fact that he cant write ..

started and finished Kevin Smith's book - Silent Bob Speaks in 2 days ... (very few words per page) but a really fun read .. i recomend it..

AUSTIN316426808 06-23-2005 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AUSTIN316426808
I'm reading some shit called House of Bones, not liking it so far

I finished this utter piece of shit....

anybody have any recommendations?

The_Return 06-30-2005 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MisterSadistro
Does not finishing a book because it had a stupid and unbelievable conclusion count ? Then the last book I almost finished reading was Dean Koontz's 'House of Thunder' this morning. Everything was cool until (SPOILER!) we find out that the heroine's nightmares are all because she's actually being brainwashed by Soviets who captured her a year before. What a crappy way to finish off what was a really good book up until then. Worst of all is I have another Koontz book on my desk I was going to read afterwards. I'm tempted to read the ending first just to make sure it doesn't end up as lame as this one.
CK

I find that's a commun problem woth Koontz. His books are usually pretty good, but he never knows how to end them IE- Cold Fire. Great book, until he starts explaining the wierd shit.

Anyway...I just finished Phantoms by Koontz. I definatly liked it:)

azathoth777 07-01-2005 05:44 AM

Meat Is Murder with is about cannibals in real live and in movies. It's really interesting.

Kreech 07-02-2005 10:35 AM

Narcissus in Chains by Laurell K. Hamilton. It was actualy pretty good, but the ending was mediocre. I reccomend all books in this series. Especialy Burnt Offerings.