Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Horror.com General Forum (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Curse of Michael Myers (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68268)

GummySharkGuy 11-12-2017 03:37 PM

The Curse of Michael Myers

So the whole curse of thorn thing was really divisive when it was explained in The Curse of Michael Myers, but after thinking about it I feel like as a 'motive' for Michael its pretty damn cool. I like the idea of Michael being a victim himself, a sacrifice as the vessel for this evil that demands the blood of his family to be placated. I feel like it makes Michael much more interesting than just the embodiment of pure evil. Don't get me wrong, Halloween is a masterpiece, but it's more of a demonstration of John Carpenter's mastery of the craft than it is an interesting story.

Michael is less of a character and more of a tool to carry the theme of "Evil never dies," and while that does have it's strength in that film, I personally feel that he becomes vastly more intriguing in Halloween II when Loomis finds the word "Samhain" written in blood in the classroom, and that ultimately pays off in The Curse of Michael Myers (albeit, ungracefully). I feel as though this characteristic gives Michael the longevity to be a viable character to carry multiple movies, not just the first.

What do you all think? Do you think that explanation for Michael would have been easier to swallow had it been executed better? Or do you think that it should have never gone past Halloween?

MichaelMyers 11-13-2017 01:53 PM

Obviously this is a topic that interests me. I rather like that Carpenter's Halloween simply made Myers into an unthinking killing machine, the embodiment of pure evil, no rationale given. Freddy and Jason both have complex backstories but Myers is horrifying in its simplicity.

fudgetusk 11-14-2017 05:56 AM

I thought the SAMHAIN bit was in the first film. In the TV version of the movie.

I don't like the Thorn thing. I like the idea that he disappears at the end of the first movie. Like a fairy blinking out of existence.

MichaelMyers 11-14-2017 08:35 AM

What do you all hope to see out of this.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOk7YkxWkAAioY6.jpg:large

GummySharkGuy 11-14-2017 09:57 AM

I haven't seen the TV version in a long time, so maybe its in both? It's for sure in Halloween II though.

And I totally agree that the motiveless Michael works perfectly in the first movie, but I don't think that you can do much more with him without some kind of gimmick, like bringing Jaime Lee Curtis back in H20, or doing the whole live internet show in Resurrection, or remaking it. I feel like the curse of thorn and the connections to Samhain add depth to the character and make him more interesting.

Personally, I think its cool that the curse of thorn turns Michael into a tragic character, which fits thematically with a lot of the imagery throughout the movies, like his crying blood when he was shot in the face in Halloween II, or his moment of humanity when he takes off his mask in front of Jaime in Halloween 5. It just could have been executed better, I think.

I'm hoping Halloween Returns ends up being a better version of H20, as much as I love the movie, its pretty average as movies go, and isn't as enjoyable unless you've seen Halloweens I and II. I hope it doesn't fall into the pitfalls of modern horror (jump scares, obnoxious music, sensory overload climaxes), but with John Carpenter involved I have high hopes for it.

fudgetusk 11-16-2017 06:32 AM

I couldn't imagine where to take the character. He doesn't do anything but kill. If only he'd take up a hobby or get a job...HOHO.
maybe Myers vs zombies? He could be a kind of good guy. Maybe we could see into his past lives and see that he was always like this.

Sculpt 11-18-2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GummySharkGuy (Post 1028580)
So the whole curse of thorn thing was really divisive when it was explained in The Curse of Michael Myers, but after thinking about it I feel like as a 'motive' for Michael its pretty damn cool. I like the idea of Michael being a victim himself, a sacrifice as the vessel for this evil that demands the blood of his family to be placated. I feel like it makes Michael much more interesting than just the embodiment of pure evil. Don't get me wrong, Halloween is a masterpiece, but it's more of a demonstration of John Carpenter's mastery of the craft than it is an interesting story.

Michael is less of a character and more of a tool to carry the theme of "Evil never dies," and while that does have it's strength in that film, I personally feel that he becomes vastly more intriguing in Halloween II when Loomis finds the word "Samhain" written in blood in the classroom, and that ultimately pays off in The Curse of Michael Myers (albeit, ungracefully). I feel as though this characteristic gives Michael the longevity to be a viable character to carry multiple movies, not just the first.

What do you all think? Do you think that explanation for Michael would have been easier to swallow had it been executed better? Or do you think that it should have never gone past Halloween?

Interesting... Could you elaborate more on "the Thorn" thing? I saw The Curse of Michael Myers a long time ago, and I don't remember the deal there.

In regards to Halloween 1 and 2, I liked that he was the Boogyman, just some powerful evil with a lot of history, but murky history. I just kind of figured he was going after his sisters because there was something left of the mind of the possessed, so to speak. It was an interesting thing that he would stop when the mask was ripped off. It would be an interesting thing to flush out in sequels.

As I said, I don't remember the thorn thing. Sounds interesting, and maybe you can tell us all about that. But I certainly like the idea of simply 'the real boogyman' as a vehicle to the films.

fudgetusk 11-20-2017 07:21 AM

The thorn is a rune. It was painted near sacred groves to protect them. MYers was locked up in Smith's GROVE. SPOOOOKY.

GummySharkGuy 11-28-2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1028651)
Interesting... Could you elaborate more on "the Thorn" thing? I saw The Curse of Michael Myers a long time ago, and I don't remember the deal there.

In regards to Halloween 1 and 2, I liked that he was the Boogyman, just some powerful evil with a lot of history, but murky history. I just kind of figured he was going after his sisters because there was something left of the mind of the possessed, so to speak. It was an interesting thing that he would stop when the mask was ripped off. It would be an interesting thing to flush out in sequels.

As I said, I don't remember the thorn thing. Sounds interesting, and maybe you can tell us all about that. But I certainly like the idea of simply 'the real boogyman' as a vehicle to the films.

So the Curse of Thorn had to do with a cult hinted at in Halloween 5 and introduced into The Curse of Michael Myers. They celebrated the old Samhain, and on certain years, when the constellation Thorn would appear in the sky, it was seen as an omen that there would be mass deaths in their tribes. In order to avoid it, they would sacrifice one family to bear the brunt of the curse. In that family, one member (usually a child) became an indestructible killing machine, pretty much an avatar for the force that came with the constellation, and they could not rest until they had murdered their family. At the last kill, the curse would be transferred to another person, and the cycle would begin anew. This is why Michael is unkillable and why he is killing his family.

Sculpt 11-28-2017 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GummySharkGuy (Post 1028792)
So the Curse of Thorn had to do with a cult hinted at in Halloween 5 and introduced into The Curse of Michael Myers. They celebrated the old Samhain, and on certain years, when the constellation Thorn would appear in the sky, it was seen as an omen that there would be mass deaths in their tribes. In order to avoid it, they would sacrifice one family to bear the brunt of the curse. In that family, one member (usually a child) became an indestructible killing machine, pretty much an avatar for the force that came with the constellation, and they could not rest until they had murdered their family. At the last kill, the curse would be transferred to another person, and the cycle would begin anew. This is why Michael is unkillable and why he is killing his family.

Thanks, Gum! That is interesting. I read Samhain is a real pagan harvest festival, but there is no Thorn constellation in real life.