Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Site Announcements (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Server Horror & Our Revenge! (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57828)

horror 05-25-2011 01:49 AM

Server Horror & Our Revenge!

As many of you probably noticed, we had a major server crash last week here at Horror.com. Please accept our apologies. It was unexpected and quite brutal!

But, the good news is that we have moved the site to a brand new server. The new machine should be much faster than the old one, and hopefully it won't crash - at least not for another five or ten years. :eek:

Since we moved the server - and changed some of the tech that runs the site - there is a chance that you might find a bug here or there. If you notice any problems, please let us know and we'll get them fixed right away.

Sorry again about the crash!

TheWickerFan 05-25-2011 01:58 AM

Nice to see you.:)

_____V_____ 05-25-2011 05:26 AM

Email - [email protected], is not working. I sent you 2-3 emails within the past two weeks and none were delivered according to Gmail's Mailer Daemon.

And the Mods need the ability to view IPs, like they used to in the past. If it's possible, can you re-enable that?

Everything else seems to be fine. For now.

Angra 05-25-2011 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _____V_____ (Post 892779)
And the Mods need the ability to view IPs, like they used to in the past. If it's possible, can you re-enable that?

Wanna snoop around, huh? ;)

horror 05-25-2011 07:06 AM

The mail server crashed too (pretty much everything did), but it seemed to be working at one point. I'll check on it right now and try to make sure there aren't some remaining issues. Sorry about that!

_____V_____ 05-25-2011 08:04 AM

Thanks a lot, Horror.

See if you can reinstate the Mods' ability to view IPs, too. It will help us tremendously in our efficiency.

AMICUS HORROR 05-25-2011 08:31 AM

Its awesome to hear from the boss. Horror.com is a great site and the Mods are just wonderful. How about a wage rise for them.:o

horror 05-26-2011 01:28 AM

Mail should be working fine again, please re-send anything that you think might have bounced! :)

_____V_____ 08-31-2011 11:57 AM

Horror, if you are still accessing the forums and reading this thread, can you enable a very nifty feature which we have been missing?

As soon as someone quotes a member in a thread, a Private Message should be sent to the person who has been quoted, mentioning that he/she has been quoted in that thread, so that they can respond back to their quoted reply.

It's a very useful feature to have, and will help immensely in the interaction between members. Please see if you can enable that.

Thank you in advance.

newb 10-08-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _____V_____ (Post 902724)
Horror, if you are still accessing the forums and reading this thread, can you enable a very nifty feature which we have been missing?

As soon as someone quotes a member in a thread, a Private Message should be sent to the person who has been quoted, mentioning that he/she has been quoted in that thread, so that they can respond back to their quoted reply.

It's a very useful feature to have, and will help immensely in the interaction between members. Please see if you can enable that.

Thank you in advance.

good idea Horror......listen to your mods....they are very wise

Angra 10-14-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newb (Post 906594)
good idea Horror......listen to your mods....they are very wise

Totally agreed.

That way we would get a lot more activity in the forums. If it's possible that is..

Angra 10-14-2011 12:39 PM

Hey!! Are you listening?

Angra 10-14-2011 12:39 PM

Why don't you answer when people speak to you?

Angra 10-14-2011 12:40 PM

Have you no manners?!!! :mad:

hammerfan 10-14-2011 01:06 PM

Angra, are you drunk again? :D;)

Angra 10-14-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerfan (Post 907266)
Angra, are you drunk again? :D;)

Who told ya?!!

Is it so obvious?

hammerfan 10-14-2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angra (Post 907267)
Who told ya?!!

Is it so obvious?

I like you Angra, you make me laugh :D

newb 10-21-2011 08:16 PM

yeah...Angra's a funny dude.

He gets my vote for funniest member

_____V_____ 12-01-2011 09:20 PM

Horror, if you are checking this thread for any latest info, the No-Spam Filter has stopped working for some reason. Spammers are getting in easily since the past month or so and are flooding the forums with their spamming. I urge you to look into this immediately, and if nothing can be done about it, at least set the new member registration status to "Subject to Moderator Approval". That will help us keep a check on them from our front.

See how many accounts I have banned in the last two days - it must be close to 500 or even more. We need a permanent solution from your side to this problem.

And also, we need some new Moderators. It's just me and Neverending these days (and nights), and we need some more hands to maintain the forums.

TheWickerFan 12-02-2011 03:23 AM

So that's what happened. Forget the question I asked in the latest spam thread.

@Horror - Attention is desperately needed. You have continuously ignored the moderators' requests to reinstate their ability to read IP addresses, so I hope that you will honor V's request to bring back the spam protection. I also hope you even see this message as the moderators don't seem to be able to contact you via e-mail.

I will also back up V's complaint about the lack of moderators. Despite the election of 7 people, only 2 are working with any consistency. It is a lot to handle for people with full time jobs to then have to go through the day's activities on the forum and fix any problems that might have cropped up.

I would greatly appreciate your attention in these matters, or at the very least, an explanation as to why these problems haven't been fixed.

hammerfan 12-02-2011 05:12 AM

Just for the record, I did volunteer to be a moderator. I won't be going to anymore jobsites, that was a once-in-a-lifetime situation. I'll be around for a good, long time! :D

TheWickerFan 12-02-2011 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerfan (Post 911334)
Just for the record, I did volunteer to be a moderator. I won't be going to anymore jobsites, that was a once-in-a-lifetime situation. I'll be around for a good, long time! :D

I think you'd make an excellent choice.:) If there's an opening, I would also like to volunteer. I'm here every day, and I'd be glad to help out.

hammerfan 12-02-2011 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWickerFan (Post 911335)
I think you'd make an excellent choice.:) If there's an opening, I would also like to volunteer. I'm here every day, and I'd be glad to help out.

Thanks! Yep, I'm here every day, too. Not so much on weekends, but if I was a moderator, I would make a point of checking in.

zwoti 12-02-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWickerFan (Post 911331)
Despite the election of 7 people

3 were elected.

TheWickerFan 12-02-2011 10:28 AM

I see. So the other 4 volunteered?

zwoti 12-02-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWickerFan (Post 911362)
I see. So the other 4 volunteered?

1 was chosen, the others were a long time ago

TheWickerFan 12-02-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zwoti (Post 911372)
1 was chosen, the others were a long time ago

I guess so. I don't think I've ever seen kpropain or Austin.

I see Horror hasn't done anything yet, but you guys are doing a really great job knocking down the spammers as fast as they pop up.

hammerfan 12-02-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWickerFan (Post 911379)
I see Horror hasn't done anything yet, but you guys are doing a really great job knocking down the spammers as fast as they pop up.

Yes you are! Good job, mods!

TheWickerFan 12-03-2011 03:57 AM

*Sigh* Still no luck with Horror I guess. The latest member to join up actually calls himself BuyWOWGold. Sheesh!!:mad:

_____V_____ 12-03-2011 10:50 AM

2 days ago:

Quote:

from [email protected]
to [email protected]
date Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 12:06 PM
subject Getting slammed by another wave of spammers
mailed-by gmail.com

hide details Dec 1 (2 days ago)

Hello,

We are getting hit by a fresh wave of spammers/spam bots since the past 10 hours (maybe even longer).

We need you to check the horror.com Spam Filter, if it is working or not.

Also, has a bot snuck in and is somehow bypassing the Spam Filter for it's related other spam bots? We had one called XRumerTest which did that sometime back. Once we banned that name, the spamming stopped.

Thanks,

___V___

Yesterday:

Quote:

from [email protected]
to [email protected]
date Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM
subject horror.com - _____V_____
mailed-by gmail.com

hide details Dec 2 (1 day ago)

Hey horror,

The spammers are increasing in horror.com. Somehow they are managing to bypass the Spam Filter which you had set up.

They have found a way to break in and their numbers are increasing per day. It is getting difficult to manage the forums.

Please see if you can do something about this problem.

If anything, please set the Registration of new members to "Subject to Moderator Approval". That way, we can control the spam bots and weed them out.

Waiting to hear from you ASAP,

_____V_____

5 minutes ago:

Quote:

from [email protected]
to [email protected]
date Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 12:16 AM
subject Moderator _____V_____ from horror dot com forums
mailed-by gmail.com

hide details 12:16 AM (2 minutes ago)

Hey horror,

Sent you a couple of emails before this but don't know if you saw it or not.

The Spam Filter is not working, or the spam bots have found a way to bypass
it. Spammers are increasing by the day and it is getting increasingly difficult
to keep them in check. Considering the fact that only me and Neverending (and now Zwoti) are the only moderators around, it is becoming a huge task.

We need you to check the Spam Filter, or install a stronger/different Spam Filter, since this one is not working anymore. If that can't be done, please set the Registration of new members to "Subject to Moderator Approval" so that we can keep the spammers out and bring genuine horror loving members into the forum.

Thanks in advance.

_____V_____

So far, no reply. No luck.

TheWickerFan 12-03-2011 11:27 AM

Any way you can go over his head? I've found that to be very effective when dealing with this sort of thing.:D

TheWickerFan 12-04-2011 03:21 AM

Does Horror actually own the website? Perhaps he'd be interested in selling it if the ownership has become too much to handle. Christmas is coming up.;)

_____V_____ 12-12-2011 09:36 PM

Had emailed ElGato (the other admin and my friend) a week back regarding this spammer problem, when I got no reply from horror to my continuous emails.

He has been online tonight, and in constant touch with me through PMs since then. Now, the Re-Captcha Anti Spamming Verification Kit has been added to the New User Registration process:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...Untitled-8.gif

The No-Spam Verification question also stays.

Thanks a lot, ElGato!

Fellow HDCers, breathe a sigh of relief. :)

Elvis_Christ 12-12-2011 11:44 PM

Good work man!

So posts with links/youtube videos need to be approved by a mod first now? That's come up a couple of times for me today.

_____V_____ 12-13-2011 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ (Post 913135)
Good work man!

So posts with links/youtube videos need to be approved by a mod first now? That's come up a couple of times for me today.

I think the admin did that on purpose, after seeing the newbie posts spamming their blogs and websites.

Let me see if I can do something about it.

TheWickerFan 12-13-2011 02:41 AM

Thank goodness!! Maybe other issues can be sorted out as well now.

newb 05-02-2012 07:10 PM

nice to have everything sorted