Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Last Seen pre-1970 Classic/Vintage Horror Movie? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18488)

FryeDwight 02-12-2019 02:14 AM

Could be, Sculpt! He DOES to seem to get more moxie as the film continues.

THE WILD BUNCH (1969). "It ain't like the old Days, but it will do" says Edmond O'Brien to Robert Ryan towards the end, and this could probably also suffice for the Western genre itself. While there has always been some dustiness in westerns, John Wayne/Gary Cooper et al always looked clean and noble and The "Bunch" is anything but. They are filthy and absolutely amoral, despite a "Code" they have. Probably the best Western ever made with a first rate cast, wonderful scenery and one of the most violent films I've ever seen, in particular the final Gun battle-it's literally a squib overdose and one can only imagine the reactions to original audiences. *****

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT>>>>>>>>>. While this is a classic, albeit grimy film, one scene I do not like at all. Not at all fond of arachnids nor insects, but deplore the scene where children are pushing a couple of scorpions into Red ants, then setting it all on fire. Maybe it was director Sam Peckinpah's way to say that life is cheap and brutish...perhaps, but I don't like seeing animals killed just for exploitation (which is why I hate most of the Jungle cannibal films), especially when he shows this about six times.

DeadbeatAtDawn 02-18-2019 06:32 AM

Horrors of Malformed Men. 1969. 8/10

Director: Teruo Ishii

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...fOgZAkutVLb1Zp

FryeDwight 02-19-2019 12:27 AM

THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR (1947). Wonderful romantic love story between a widowed woman and aghost. Good turns by lovely Gene Tierney, rex Harrison, George Sanders and Anna Lee.
Two commentaries that are very informative by Greg Kimble and Jeanine Basinger suffer with the addition of Christopher Husted (who talks about the Bernard Herrmann score, but seems to relish telling tales of Bern's abrasive behavior) and Kenneth Geist (Joseph Mankiewicz biographer who does not seem to like the film at all, criticizing Gene's performance, simply mean comments of the actress playing grown up Anna, referring to Harrison as "corporeal" at least three times and basically being a bitch!). *****

Sculpt 02-19-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FryeDwight (Post 1036875)
THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR (1947). Wonderful romantic love story between a widowed woman and aghost. Good turns by lovely Gene Tierney, rex Harrison, George Sanders and Anna Lee.
Two commentaries that are very informative by Greg Kimble and Jeanine Basinger suffer with the addition of Christopher Husted (who talks about the Bernard Herrmann score, but seems to relish telling tales of Bern's abrasive behavior) and Kenneth Geist (Joseph Mankiewicz biographer who does not seem to like the film at all, criticizing Gene's performance, simply mean comments of the actress playing grown up Anna, referring to Harrison as "corporeal" at least three times and basically being a bitch!). *****

I've never seen this, 5 stars is some high praise from you. Sounds like a feel good film for sure.

Too bad about the commentary. Very strange people recounting a film from 1947 would be attacking each other. Doesn't time heal all wounds? Unless the interviewer was trying to drag this stuff out of them? How old is much of this material for the commentary?

FryeDwight 02-22-2019 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1036891)
I've never seen this, 5 stars is some high praise from you. Sounds like a feel good film for sure.

Too bad about the commentary. Very strange people recounting a film from 1947 would be attacking each other. Doesn't time heal all wounds? Unless the interviewer was trying to drag this stuff out of them? How old is much of this material for the commentary?

Definitely a feelgood movie-we got the DVD around 2005-07 and not sure how old the commentaries are. Both sets seemed to get along, but I felt the extra commentators were not needed. For commentary excellence, I really like Greg Mank (so much trivia/info and absolutely no dead air) along with David Skal, Rudy Behlmer and Scott MacQueen.

THE UNEARTHLY (1957). May have mentioned this one before, but don't really recall and I feel the more love TU receives is all for the better/. nAn over the top John Carradine, while running a sanitarium, is really using it as a front to procure Guinea pigs for his experiments with a man made gland with all sorts of wacky goings on. Always liked JC and even though he made a LOT of turkeys, he NEVER gave a walk through performance and he just shines in here. Also with Tor Johnson, Allison Hayes (the 50 Foot woman herself!), Sally Todd (FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER as well as a PLAYBOY Playmate), Marilyn Buford (Miss America 1946) and an actor who ended up in the POLICE ACADEMY movies engaging in fisticuffs with his son. ****

FryeDwight 02-26-2019 01:29 AM

THE LODGER (1944). I find this Jack The Ripper film a little overrated, although Merle Oberon and Sir Cedric Hardwicke give decent turns. But Laird Cregar steals the film as the titular character and is the main reason to see this, especially towards the end. Some exceptional camera angles also. ***

idoneus1957 02-26-2019 09:11 AM

Charlie Chan

I know that some Asian Americans have protested against Charlie Chan as a stereotype. I think one of the things they object to in him is that he has such nice manners. In America it isn't considered manly to be polite.
I guess Warner Oland belong to the long list of non-Asian actors who have played Asians. Like in the Manchurian Candidate, Henry Silva (a Puerto Rican) is supposed to be a Korean, and Kigh Diegh (a New Yorker of Egyptian parentage) is supposed to be Chinese.
For old film buffs, check out Warner Oland in his brief appearance as a werewolf in Werewolf of London.
And for non-Asian actors who have played Asians, how could I leave out Boris Karloff in "The mask of Fu Manchu." I have read all the Fu Manchu novels, and I am a big Karloff fan, and I haven't seen this movie.
And Myrna Loy (The Thin Man) played Fu Manchu's daughter, as I learned from reading Famous Monsters of Filmland a long time ago.

BudMan 02-26-2019 09:36 AM

HOLD THAT GHOST 1941

Not as good as Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein but had its moments.

Joan Davis steals the show

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/69/1f...deff28d184.jpg

Sculpt 02-26-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idoneus1957 (Post 1037109)
I know that some Asian Americans have protested against Charlie Chan as a stereotype. I think one of the things they object to in him is that he has such nice manners. In America it isn't considered manly to be polite.
I guess Warner Oland belong to the long list of non-Asian actors who have played Asians. Like in the Manchurian Candidate, Henry Silva (a Puerto Rican) is supposed to be a Korean, and Kigh Diegh (a New Yorker of Egyptian parentage) is supposed to be Chinese.
For old film buffs, check out Warner Oland in his brief appearance as a werewolf in Werewolf of London.
And for non-Asian actors who have played Asians, how could I leave out Boris Karloff in "The mask of Fu Manchu." I have read all the Fu Manchu novels, and I am a big Karloff fan, and I haven't seen this movie.
And Myrna Loy (The Thin Man) played Fu Manchu's daughter, as I learned from reading Famous Monsters of Filmland a long time ago.

I've seen Mask of Fu Manchu. It's weird. And it is unambiguously racist.

BudMan 02-26-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1037118)
I've seen Mask of Fu Manchu. It's weird. And it is unambiguously racist.

speaking of " unambiguously racist" the "Me and my Shadow" routine in "Hold That Ghost" had me cringing.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RsqNjcW-m9...Ghost%2003.jpg