Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Most hated character from a horror movie? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67055)

Harry D’Amour 04-28-2016 05:58 PM

Most hated character from a horror movie?

1 Attachment(s)
From any horror movie, What Character do you hate the most? Why?

Julia Cotton, is there anyone this bitch didn't flip on?

Repo'd 04-29-2016 02:39 AM

I hated hated HATED Nancy's mom in Nightmare on Elm Street.

FryeDwight 04-29-2016 05:43 AM

Probably Otis in HENRY:PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER. Absolutely loathsome and a great turn by the late Tom Towles who was nice and funny as well when we met him.

Oro13 04-29-2016 04:22 PM

Any character that opens their mouth in a RobZombie movie besides Sid Haig.

SerialKiller 04-29-2016 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Repo'd (Post 1012866)
I hated hated HATED Nancy's mom in Nightmare on Elm Street.

I'm pretty sure I already know why, just curious about your reasons though.

favabeans 04-29-2016 11:19 PM

Mary Knowles from House of 1000 Corpses, and the nanny from The Omen

Repo'd 04-30-2016 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SerialKiller (Post 1012900)
I'm pretty sure I already know why, just curious about your reasons though.

Yeah, you probably know why. She doesn't listen to Nancy. Well, she listens but refuses to hear her. That's the main reason. In general, she's an obnoxious drunk who doesn't deserve a child. Nancy should have worked out a way to kill her and blame it on Freddy. :)

SerialKiller 04-30-2016 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Repo'd (Post 1012913)
Yeah, you probably know why. She doesn't listen to Nancy. Well, she listens but refuses to hear her. That's the main reason. In general, she's an obnoxious drunk who doesn't deserve a child. Nancy should have worked out a way to kill her and blame it on Freddy. :)

I thought so. Well maybe Nancy was just hoping her mother would eventually sober up. In any event, these reasons bugged me as well. Her father was a bit annoying too, especially in the end when Nancy was trying to tell him about Freddy. He didn't listen either. He just asked Barney Fife to keep an eye on the house. ::roll eyes::

The mother in Dream Warriors was no better.

Repo'd 04-30-2016 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SerialKiller (Post 1012932)
I thought so. Well maybe Nancy was just hoping her mother would eventually sober up. In any event, these reasons bugged me as well. Her father was a bit annoying too, especially in the end when Nancy was trying to tell him about Freddy. He didn't listen either. He just asked Barney Fife to keep an eye on the house. ::roll eyes::

The mother in Dream Warriors was no better.

Indeed, both Ma and Pa Thompson were inattentive, at the very least. It's a common thread in Horror, where we see adults ignoring or misinterpretating the kids. As Horror fans we condemn kids and teens for acting stupidly in genre films, but adults ( particularly parents ) exhibit some dreadfully moronic behavior as well. Your example of the shitty Mom in Dream Warriors is spot on. Doesn't she screw her " dates " while her daughter is in the next room? Yeah, she's a delightful piece of work.

SerialKiller 05-01-2016 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Repo'd (Post 1012938)
Indeed, both Ma and Pa Thompson were inattentive, at the very least. It's a common thread in Horror, where we see adults ignoring or misinterpretating the kids. As Horror fans we condemn kids and teens for acting stupidly in genre films, but adults ( particularly parents ) exhibit some dreadfully moronic behavior as well. Your example of the shitty Mom in Dream Warriors is spot on. Doesn't she screw her " dates " while her daughter is in the next room? Yeah, she's a delightful piece of work.

For these reasons, I feel like watching horror may actually make me a much better parent someday....should I ever have children that is! I'll listen better when they're telling me some outlandish story of monsters living in the closet or under the bed.

As for my most hated character that would be "Evil" from New Year's Evil-1980.

Sculpt 05-01-2016 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry D’Amour (Post 1012857)
From any horror movie, What Character do you hate the most? Why?

Julia Cotton, is there anyone this bitch didn't flip on?

Hate, or "love to hate"?

I'll go with both Frank and Julie Cotton.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oro13 (Post 1012891)
Any character that opens their mouth in a RobZombie movie besides Sid Haig.

True that. That's the real horror.

Harry D’Amour 05-04-2016 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1012982)
Hate, or "love to hate"?

I'll go with both Frank and Julie Cotton.

True that. That's the real horror.

!

Roiffalo 05-12-2016 09:44 PM

Probably the mayor from Jaws... He's about a 9.7 out of 10 on my "stupid scale".

bats 05-16-2016 01:02 AM

it's a cliche but i can't even sit through "friday the 13th 3" because of shelly. i am not really a huge fan of that series as it is but that guy is so punch-able and i just can't stand him.

yillmyers 06-21-2016 03:22 AM

I hated ruth in the girl next door... what a bitch

Smeg Head1 06-21-2016 04:18 AM

Most religious zealots in movies are over-the-top annoying, but Mrs. Carmondy from The Mist especially.

Doctor Kaiju 06-21-2016 02:37 PM

http://www.motherjones.com/files/danny_big.jpg

The Shining could have been a perfect film; if only the kid got the ax at the end.

idoneus1957 06-19-2018 06:44 AM

The man you love to hate

Sometimes the villain is the one who makes the film. Back around 1915, the studios billed Erich von Stroheim as "The man you love to hate." He mostly played sadistic German officers back then.

I guess Alan Rickman's performance in Die Hard made critics sit up and say "This guy is good as playing bad." actually, the one I most disliked in that movie was...can't remember his name. The one who tipped the bad guys off to who "Roy" really was. I guess he was supposed to be hateable.
What do they do for a casting call when they want to cast a part like Pete Pettigrew in Harry Potter, or the Secretery of Defense in Independence Day? "Wanted, actor to play a snivelling little rat-faced git."

LuvablePsycho 06-19-2018 06:56 AM

In Zack Snyder's remake of Dawn of the Dead I couldn't stand Glen because I felt like he was basically a straw doll used to try and convince the audience that all gay men are as creepy and useless as he was. I also didn't like the fact that his background was ripped off from the character Mary Henry from Carnival of Souls being an atheist who worked as a church organ player like she was.

I also couldn't stand Job and Sarah from Children of the Corn. Their parents were brutally murdered along with all the other adults in Gatlin and instead of being traumatized and hiding in fear they're busy playing games and making fun of the psychotic cult leader, not caring if they get caught.::roll eyes::

idoneus1957 06-21-2018 06:39 AM

some critics hate little kids

When The Sixth Sense came out, the review that appeared in the New York Times was not very informative, except that you could figure out that the main reason the critic hated the movie is that he hated movies that feature cute little kids.

Sculpt 06-21-2018 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idoneus1957 (Post 1031741)
When The Sixth Sense came out, the review that appeared in the New York Times was not very informative, except that you could figure out that the main reason the critic hated the movie is that he hated movies that feature cute little kids.

I usually do too (hate cute little kids in films)... not as much as real animals with CG mouths, but they bother me. The kid in 6th Sense didn't bother me at all. I thought he was very real, and played it quiet well.

LuvablePsycho 06-25-2018 01:05 PM

I personally don't hate "cute little kids", just child characters played by terrible actors like Job and Sarah from Children of the Corn. I think kids in horror movies are kind of needed because they help create extra tension in fear of the child's safety.

The kid who played Danny in The Shining was pretty decent in my opinion. He was even able to do a creepy voice for "Tony" and have a seizure which I thought was impressive considering that the young actor didn't even realize that he was in a horror movie.

Oh and I can't stand jerk heroes in horror movis or action movies. Like Ving Rhames's character in the remake of Dawn of the Dead (of course I still don't hate him as much as I do Glen).

idoneus1957 07-05-2018 06:57 AM

does this character exist?

I wonder if there are any horror movies where the hero hears scary noises coming from the basement, and, instead of going down into the basement, sprints out the front door, which is what any intelligent person would do.

That reminds me. When I saw The silence of the lambs in the theater, when Jodi Foster goes into the killer's house, there was a sort of silent scream from the audience: "Don't go in there!" Then, when she follows him down into the basement, it was kind of a silent whimper: "Don't go down there!"

After she blew the guy away, I thought "I guess FBI training works."

I wonder if there is a kind of hand gun you don't have to cock, so the victim isn't warned by hearing a click.

LuvablePsycho 07-05-2018 07:25 AM

Ever see that one Geico commercial? "When you're in a horror movie, you make bad choices. It's what you do!"

Black guy: "Let's hide in the attic!"

Brunette girl: "No in the basement!"

Blonde girl: "Why can't we just get in the RUNNING car?"

White guy: "Are you crazy?! Let's hide behind the chainsaws!"

Yeah... horror movies wouldn't be what they are without the main characters making bad choices that any sane person would avoid throughout the entire movie. ::big grin::

Sculpt 07-05-2018 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idoneus1957 (Post 1032041)
I wonder if there are any horror movies where the hero hears scary noises coming from the basement, and, instead of going down into the basement, sprints out the front door, which is what any intelligent person would do.

That reminds me. When I saw The silence of the lambs in the theater, when Jodi Foster goes into the killer's house, there was a sort of silent scream from the audience: "Don't go in there!" Then, when she follows him down into the basement, it was kind of a silent whimper: "Don't go down there!"

After she blew the guy away, I thought "I guess FBI training works."

I wonder if there is a kind of hand gun you don't have to cock, so the victim isn't warned by hearing a click.

For almost all modern handguns, you never have to cock a gun, it's just a lot easier to fire with it cocked. Pulling the trigger will pull it through the cocking sequence. Some semi-auto handguns like glocks don't even have hammers that you can cock, they're already cocked. People will cock their guns when they're ready to shoot, but I think directors quite like extra suspense of a cocking-the-gun shot. But you do have take the safety off, which is silent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho (Post 1032042)
Ever see that one Geico commercial? "When you're in a horror movie, you make bad choices. It's what you do!"

Black guy: "Let's hide in the attic!"

Brunette girl: "No in the basement!"

Blonde girl: "Why can't we just get in the RUNNING car?"

White guy: "Are you crazy?! Let's hide behind the chainsaws!"

Yeah... horror movies wouldn't be what they are without the main characters making bad choices that any sane person would avoid throughout the entire movie. ::big grin::

I had to look that up. That is funny! Say, what does the chic say right at the very very end? (that's after the narrator talks)

LuvablePsycho 07-06-2018 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1032047)
For almost all modern handguns, you never have to cock a gun, it's just a lot easier to fire with it cocked. Pulling the trigger will pull it through the cocking sequence. Some semi-auto handguns like glocks don't even have hammers that you can cock, they're already cocked. People will cock their guns when they're ready to shoot, but I think directors quite like extra suspense of a cocking-the-gun shot. But you do have take the safety off, which is silent.

I had to look that up. That is funny! Say, what does the chic say right at the very very end? (that's after the narrator talks)

"Head for the cemetery!" ::big grin::

I loved how the masked killer was rolling his eyes at the idiot teenagers. You think Jason, Freddy, Michael, or Leatherface ever did that? ::stick out tongue::

idoneus1957 07-06-2018 06:58 AM

stupid actions in movies

My friend Don has a list of stupid things people do in movies. Like, a guy is chasing a guy on foot, and the guy he's chasing gets into a car and drives away, and the guy on foot keeps chasing the car. As Don said "After all, people are catching cars all the time."

Then there's the guy being chased down the road by a car, and instead of running off the road into the woods where the car can't go, he just keeps going straight down the center of the road.

fudgetusk 07-09-2018 05:04 AM

That guy in TEXAS CHAINSAW 2 who kept spitting. Disgusting fool.

LuvablePsycho 07-09-2018 01:29 PM

I'm going to go ahead and admit it I DON'T like Freddy Krueger. I don't care how funny or witty he is when killing idiot teenagers, I just can't get over the fact that he's a child serial killer and possibly a pedophile.

Give me Chucky from Child's Play or the little guy from Leprechaun any day over Freddy. Those two are both just as funny and clever as Freddy and the victims they kill are usually jerks who are pretty much asking for it.

idoneus1957 07-11-2018 06:36 AM

he's the villain

Of course you don't like Freddy Krueger! He's the villain. What, did you think he was the hero?

I remember reading the book The Dead Zone. In the first chapter, Stephen King oh-so-subtly hints to us that Greg Stillson might be a bad person by having him kick a dog to death. I don't think that was in the movie.

My friend Victor can do that line from the movie, with good voice:

"Gentlemen, the missiles are flyin'! Halleluja!"

idoneus1957 07-11-2018 06:39 AM

nightmare on elm st.

It sort of makes you wonder how the town's police chief got to be married to that woman. What could the back story be?

LuvablePsycho 07-11-2018 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idoneus1957 (Post 1032125)
Of course you don't like Freddy Krueger! He's the villain. What, did you think he was the hero?

I remember reading the book The Dead Zone. In the first chapter, Stephen King oh-so-subtly hints to us that Greg Stillson might be a bad person by having him kick a dog to death. I don't think that was in the movie.

I normally like villains a lot more than I do heroes. ::devil::

But even I have to draw the line at some of the evil things they can do.

Sculpt 07-17-2018 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idoneus1957 (Post 1032125)

That line's from the movie The Dead Zone? I don't remember that. I don't remember missiles. Actually, I know The Dead Zone was a very popular film, but I didn't really like it. I probably saw it too late.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho (Post 1032128)
I normally like villains a lot more than I do heroes. ::devil::

But even I have to draw the line at some of the evil things they can do.

Did the Elm series indicate he was a pedophile? I don't remember that. I know there was some made-for-tv movie that gave his origin story in more detail: a nun got locked in an insane asylum for the criminally insane and got raped by all the inmates and the baby was Freddy. It's silly they stressed "all the inmates" as if multiple sperm can fertilize an egg. Anyway, as far as I can remember, Freddy doesn't kill any prepubescent person in the films, so I think that concept is out the window.

LuvablePsycho 07-23-2018 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1032215)
That line's from the movie The Dead Zone? I don't remember that. I don't remember missiles. Actually, I know The Dead Zone was a very popular film, but I didn't really like it. I probably saw it too late.

Did the Elm series indicate he was a pedophile? I don't remember that. I know there was some made-for-tv movie that gave his origin story in more detail: a nun got locked in an insane asylum for the criminally insane and got raped by all the inmates and the baby was Freddy. It's silly they stressed "all the inmates" as if multiple sperm can fertilize an egg. Anyway, as far as I can remember, Freddy doesn't kill any prepubescent person in the films, so I think that concept is out the window.

There was a remake made in 2010 that went with the child molester route for Freddy Krueger's background and the teens in the movie that he was trying to kill were former kids that went to an elementary school where he worked as a janitor and he was molesting them.

In the original movies from the 1980's it never stated that he was a pedophile but he was in fact a child killer and that was the reason why the parents of elm street burned him alive. In fact I'm pretty positive that the creepy little children who appear in the nightmares are meant to be some of his younger victims.

And I guess the reason that the movies never actually showed him killing young children was because like any slasher movie it's only amusing when he's killing annoying teenage stereotypes (played by 20 year old actors of course)

fudgetusk 07-24-2018 05:13 AM

I thought in the remake he just cut the kids rather than abused them. I didn't really get that.

LuvablePsycho 07-24-2018 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fudgetusk (Post 1032332)
I thought in the remake he just cut the kids rather than abused them. I didn't really get that.

I'm pretty sure in the remake he abused them. In fact "Nancy" was his favorite victim.

But I dunno I mean I'm not really a big fan of these movies and I haven't watched them in years so I might be remembering some of the facts wrong. ::confused::

idoneus1957 08-25-2018 07:28 AM

it doesn't even apply

I don't think it applies to The Dead Zone, but have you ever noticed that usually in American movies, the bad guy has much better manners than the good guy? Especially if the bad guy is European. I guess American men think it's not manly to be polite.

Let's shed a tear for the late Herbert Lom *sniff*, who died in 2017. I thought his performance as the doctor in Dead Zone was one of the best things in the movie. Lately, for some reason, my cable has been repeatedly showing the Herbert Lom version of Phantom of the Opera.

If you want to see a delightful Lom performance, watch "The Ladykillers." (the original one.)

I hope Herbert Lom's last days were lightened by residuals from all those Pink Panther movies, the way Alec Guinness's was from the money from Star Wars.

LuvablePsycho 08-25-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idoneus1957 (Post 1033089)
I don't think it applies to The Dead Zone, but have you ever noticed that usually in American movies, the bad guy has much better manners than the good guy? Especially if the bad guy is European. I guess American men think it's not manly to be polite

I have noticed that too. I guess it's because we Americans as a culture don't value manners and civility. We prefer heroes who solve problems with brute force and who aren't afraid to speak their minds directly about everything. I guess that's why we have a reputation for being so vulgar and mouthy.

But sometimes you get American movies where the villain is your typical impolite Yank. Especially if he's military or gangster.

Sculpt 08-25-2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idoneus1957 (Post 1033089)
I don't think it applies to The Dead Zone, but have you ever noticed that usually in American movies, the bad guy has much better manners than the good guy? Especially if the bad guy is European. I guess American men think it's not manly to be polite.

Let's shed a tear for the late Herbert Lom *sniff*, who died in 2017. I thought his performance as the doctor in Dead Zone was one of the best things in the movie. Lately, for some reason, my cable has been repeatedly showing the Herbert Lom version of Phantom of the Opera.

If you want to see a delightful Lom performance, watch "The Ladykillers." (the original one.)

I hope Herbert Lom's last days were lightened by residuals from all those Pink Panther movies, the way Alec Guinness's was from the money from Star Wars.

What country are you from, idoneus? Yes, there are a lot prim and proper villains in US films, especially European villains. The Americas were the frontier from the "Old World". Escaping Kings and legal nobility is part of the fabric of the US, so the European villains may have the nobility etiquette, which may include 'good manners' as you say, but not necessarily ultimate morality. There's a subplot of stripping off the 'good mask', but also perhaps just makes a more charismatic character.

LuvablePsycho 09-25-2018 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1033098)
What country are you from, idoneus? Yes, there are a lot prim and proper villains in US films, especially European villains. The Americas were the frontier from the "Old World". Escaping Kings and legal nobility is part of the fabric of the US, so the European villains may have the nobility etiquette, which may include 'good manners' as you say, but not necessarily ultimate morality. There's a subplot of stripping off the 'good mask', but also perhaps just makes a more charismatic character.

I agree. I think Americans at the time were sick and tired of privilaged European nobles and royals being held to a higher regard than the common man who were being abused and exploited as they starved to death and worked their asses off for nothing.

I guess that way of thinking is still expressed in our movies and yet the majority of our movies and TV shows are focused on the lives and adventures of rich white families living in nice big houses.

Ironic isn't it? ::big grin::