Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   the best Werewolf Transformations (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66519)

Damien77 10-28-2015 02:52 AM

the best Werewolf Transformations

http://majorhorror.blogspot.com/2015...-werewolf.html

Repo'd 10-28-2015 02:55 AM

Where's Roi? Looks like her kind of clips.

Jake.Ashworth 10-28-2015 07:15 AM

Right??? Im surprised she doesn't have an alarm that goes off whenever a werewolf thread hits...

Repo'd 10-28-2015 08:28 AM

Dude! ::big grin:: If that was an available option, you know Roi would be the first to have it.

How can you not love her dedication to the Lycan tribe? Right?

Roiffalo 11-11-2015 02:25 AM

I've been meaning to reply to this for a while, but I had to get my thoughts together. And there are several.

1. It's a legit list.
AWIL, Howling, and Co of Wolves all have very memorable and well made transformations. I'll certainly never forget my initial reaction to them, especially Co of Wolves which I found to be very original at the time and down right fucked up. AWIL was so long and in detail I could almost feel David's pain, it was just that beautifully put together. And the Howling is sinister despite it's bubbling flesh. (would you say that dog was a little hot under the collar? *bricked*)

2. Why was AWIL not #1?
John's 1981 masterpiece is not a cult classic for no reason. If you were to ask any fan, the transformation scene alone set it apart from every werewolf movie ever made. It's certainly Rick Baker's most memorable work, if I may quote wiki to place an example:
Quote:

According to Entertainment Weekly, the real star of this film is the Oscar-winning transformation effects by Rick Baker, which changed the face of horror makeup in the 1980s.[5] The various prosthetics and robotic body parts used during the film's extended werewolf transformation scenes and on Griffin Dunne when his character returns as a bloody, mangled ghost impressed the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences so much that the film won the Outstanding Achievement in Makeup in the category's inaugural year.
3. Your list is to dang short!
Any good werewolf movie NEEDS a good transformation scene, and there are many, many, MANY, good werewolf movies out there. If I were to make a list, I would include not only the big stars, but the ones that started it all, and made those champions who they are today. And then what about honorable mentions? Sure not all transformations were GOOD, but hell give 'em props for trying! My favorite 'wtf' transformation has to be from the fourth Howling. It's hard to beat melting to a puddle of puss and black goo to come up out of it hairy and fanged. The time and effort put into those effects to make the scene so fucked up are more than mention-able, and it's one of the reasons why it's one of my favorite werewolf films.

4. Respect your classics.
To put emphasis on part of my last point about acknowledging the classics, for what they had as far as material and experience, they did a damn good job! I firmly believe without Jack Pierce's (the grandfather of monster make up) influence, werewolves wouldn't be what they are today. The stop motion transformations were resourceful and believable for audiences at the time, and I still have yet to see anyone actually TRY to make digitigrade feet look HALF as good as he did. Today everyone cops out with CGI, and that is just lazy in my eyes, and still somehow doesn't look even near as good.

5. Why did you pick these?
Maybe it's a personal preference, but along with a short list, you weren't very descriptive about WHY you chose only these movies, and what was so good about them that the deserved such slots. Your comments are amusing but it's hardly a review, which is what a list should really contain if even summarized to a few sentences.

If you read these I hope you use them to improve your next list, rather than take it personally. I do love the effort. Werewolves deserve all the attention they can get.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Repo'd (Post 1003982)
Dude! ::big grin:: If that was an available option, you know Roi would be the first to have it.

How can you not love her dedication to the Lycan tribe? Right?

Damn straight! ::wink::

Oh Repo you make me blush ::embarrassment::

Lord Voldemort 12-01-2015 05:40 PM

American Werewolf In London has the best transformation seen hands down.

Martha 12-02-2015 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Voldemort (Post 1006976)
American Werewolf In London has the best transformation seen hands down.

I agree.

Followed by The Howling

Honorable mention: The original wolfman transformation by Lon Chaney, Jr. in The Wolf Man

HorrorNights 09-15-2017 10:00 PM

THE HOWLING and AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON have the best transformations. I prefer what is seen in THE HOWLING.

The Shroud 12-19-2017 07:41 PM

This isn't a movie, but the TV show, Werewolf, had an absolutely amazing werewolf transformation. I loved watching that show as a kid and couldn't wait to see the transformation scenes. They were so realistic. That was the best part of the show.

Roiffalo 12-19-2017 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Shroud (Post 1029132)
This isn't a movie, but the TV show, Werewolf, had an absolutely amazing werewolf transformation. I loved watching that show as a kid and couldn't wait to see the transformation scenes. They were so realistic. That was the best part of the show.

Damn straight! The fact they kept it traditional effects is the main reason why I love that show. It deserved more seasons and at LEAST a proper ending. ::sad::

But if you want to talk shows with great transformations, Being Human (the BBC original, I DETEST I have to make that distinction now) had the most beautiful transformation I have ever seen. Check it out if you haven't seen it! ::wink::