Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   "Night of the Demon" a great classic (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56217)

katdad 09-20-2010 03:03 PM

"Night of the Demon" a great classic

The great Brit classic "Night of the Demon" d. Jaques Tourneau, retitled "Curse of the Demon" in the US TV cut, what a terrific fun movie! And scary without any gore or quick camera jerky stuff.

Niall MacGinnis was wonderful as the demon cult leader. A couple of fine turns he gave, like at the estate party and he's describing the game Snakes & Ladders and said he liked sliding down the snake, when Dana Andrews said "Maybe you're a good loser" and MacGinnis instantly switches from Mr nice guy and says "I'm not, you know" in this very cold manner.

Also during the storm he conjures up, how he just stands there with a calm smile on his face (all the while wearing that goofy clown nose, which makes him all the more sinister) while Dana Andrews is scared witless.

The sceance was also interesting, because it's probably how a "real" sceance might be, sort of silly but with an undertone.

I also liked that the Andrews character isn't really much of a hero and is sort of a jerk, always hitting on the girl.

Notice when Andrews goes to break into the mansion by walking thru the woods, he only takes about 15 seconds and a few steps, but on the way back, as he's pursued by the demon, it seems to take him forever to traverse that little section of forest.

Then there's that wonderfully spooky moment when Dana Andrews takes the parchment he was given, and finds the same runic symbols on Stonehenge.

The music is also excellent, maybe a teeny bit over the top but really gripping.

If you get the DVD, it contains both the shorter US-TV version as "Curse..." and the full length "Night of the Demon" so be sure to watch the latter.

Anyone else find this movie one of the best supernatural thrillers ever?

The Ugly Duchess 09-21-2010 04:59 AM

I find this one of the best supernatural thrillers ever. A spellbinder

I find this film very scary and creepy. It also has a very eerie atmosphere about it.

When Dana Andrews leaves Niall Maguinness' house and walks through the woods is eerie enough and then the demon comes! The effects are outstanding with the flickering lights and footprints in the ground as it approaches.

Great atmosphere and chills without a lot of hokey computer animations!

This is a movie I pull out ever so often and watch. I never get tired of it.

The first time I saw this film ( like The Exorcist) it really scared me.

This is one of the great films dealing with the supernatural.

I am going to add it to my favorites in my profile.

My recommendation is that if anyone has not seen this one, be sure to rent or buy a copy. It is shown on TV as well. You won't regret it.

katdad 09-21-2010 10:01 AM

We're in total agreement about this movie -- viewers please make sure you're renting/purchasing the British full length release "Night of the Demon" rather than the US shorter version "Curse of the Demon" -- it wasn't cut for content or censorship, just length for TV use and there are a couple of excellent scenes missing.

You're correct how superbly the mood is established, creepy -- and the first is that weird wobbly scene in full daylight, at the Brit National Library, that makes Dana Andrews dizzy.

The movie has so many little things to like about it, all adding up. it's genuinely scary even after seeing it many times and its being an older film. Brilliant direction by Tourneau and very good acting were both essential, otherwise it would have been just another toss-off.

One more small touch -- in the final demon attack, when the demon snatches up Karswell, it claws at him for a while, then -- and this is great -- sort of tosses him away as if now bored with the new toy. A quick moment but worth savoring. Little touches like that help make this movie really great.

Yeah, the demon footprints invisibly sinking into the ground was nice -- later copied on Forbidden Planet and who knows how many other movies. And next time you watch the movie, check out how quickly and easily Dana Andrews first cuts through the woods, just a few steps, compared with how long it takes afterward.

The Ugly Duchess 09-21-2010 10:14 AM

You are absolutely correct.

Dana Andrews going to the house gets there in nothing flat.

Coming out with the demon trailing him it seems like an eternity.

The seance and the scene in the library are great pieces as well.

This is probably my favorite movie dealing with the supernatural tied also with The Uninvited with Ray Milland.

The Exorcist may not be mynumber one favorite supernatural film but it is the scariest of any that I have seen.

endo 09-21-2010 05:21 PM

I was thinking of Night Of The Demons. Obviously two vastly different films. I've actually never seen this and just added it to my NetFlix queue.

Thanks!!

The_Return 09-21-2010 09:04 PM

Such a fun movie...love it.

stuartneild 09-23-2010 03:13 PM

Night of the demon is my favourite all time movie. It was the one that really got me into the horror film bug. I can't stress enough what a wonderful film this is. Utter classic and the bench mark for how horror should be done. This film actually succeds in showing you the monster and keeping you in suspense. A feat, I don't think any move has ever achieved since.

The Ugly Duchess 09-23-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartneild (Post 875720)
Night of the demon is my favourite all time movie. It was the one that really got me into the horror film bug. I can't stress enough what a wonderful film this is. Utter classic and the bench mark for how horror should be done. This film actually succeds in showing you the monster and keeping you in suspense. A feat, I don't think any move has ever achieved since.

Plus it does not overindulge in computer animation!

Just too much of that today!

katdad 09-24-2010 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Ugly Duchess (Post 875735)
Plus it does not overindulge in computer animation!

Just too much of that today!

Absolutely. I have no intrinsic problems with CGI or other SFX but when they use effects INSTEAD of making a good movie, it makes me grind my teeth.

There are some very impressive movies that are essentially based on SFX, like the stunning and innovative "Sin City" but that's a special case.

And if you use good SFX to augment and enhance the film, like Carpenter's "The Thing" that's okay too -- yes the effects in that movie were intense and some of the most horrific ever, but it aided the human reaction and horror of the men seeing the horrific effects occur. A near perfect blend of SFX and human acting. Predator was another good one.

What's boring and lazy is when they use SFX instead of making a good film in itself. Transformers for example, I did a PPV and shut the movie off halfway.

katdad 09-25-2010 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartneild (Post 875720)
Night of the demon is my favourite all time movie.

I can watch that movie over and over and not get bored. Even though the film is years old, it's still fresh. Sometimes older movies have draggy places, like a strung out romantic and very fakey interlude between the two leads, but in this case, Tourneau never let it get the least bit soapy.

Dana Andrews is kind of a jerk, trying to get into Peggy's pants but she shuts him down each time, even though she's somewhat attracted to him, she drives the investigation forward even more than he does.

And how Karswell is urbane, intelligent, well spoken, and affable on the surface but the moment he's challenged, you see the icy mind beneath. Of course MacGinnis was superb in that role, making it seem realistic. Too often the baddie is some leering lurching thug, and it ruins the subtle story line. We all know that villians are the "meat" of any horror movie, and MacGinnis' Karswell is one of the best ever.

Nice also is how Andrews doesn't "see" anything in the hotel corridor but it sure scares the hell out of him (and us, too).