Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Books & Fiction Writing (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What book u reading at the moment? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19622)

urgeok 04-26-2005 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by StaggerLee
Carlos Castaneda's The teachings of Don Juan, a yaqui way of knowledge

i love that book ... it really makes you look at certain things with different eyes ..

i have 3 others in the series as well

jedicow 04-26-2005 06:26 PM

i just finished reading "conan the liberator" and am now reading "the mailman" by bentley little.

jenna26 04-26-2005 09:12 PM

I just finished Sunset and Sawdust by Joe R. Lansdale and about to start Breakheart Hill by Thomas H. Cook.

barbra 04-26-2005 09:27 PM

secret books of paradys one and two

StaggerLee 04-27-2005 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by urgeok
i love that book ... it really makes you look at certain things with different eyes ..

i have 3 others in the series as well

yes, it really does. my sister gave that book to me as a birthday present, because she knows that I'm very interested in american indians, and I must say that I have learned, not only from this particular book but from other "indian books" too, quite a lot...

sandy_x 04-27-2005 09:17 AM

THE LAST BOOK I READ WAS BLOOD CANTICLE BY ANNE RICE THE LAST BOOK IN HER VAMPIRE CHRONICLES. I ENJOYED THE BOOK BUT FELT SHE HAD CHANGED LESTAT TO MUCH.

slasherman 05-12-2005 08:12 PM

this is one of the last books I read...have read it many times...its a true classic...

http://www.ayn-rand.com/graphics/RandFountainhead.jpg

X¤MurderDoll¤X 05-12-2005 08:20 PM

Helter Skelter

Zero 05-13-2005 07:29 AM

I'm currently reading a book about horror films called Projected Fears, pretty interesting.

I just abandoned a book called Hunted Past Reason by the guy who wrote I Am Legend (and whose name I'm totally blanking on) - which started cool (about hiking and, as a hiker, I thought that was cool) but then turned into cliche-driven Deliverance rip-off. I just skipped to the last page and felt all the better for it.

Last really cool horror-ish book I read was House of Blue Leaves, of which I liked the core of the story (but could've lived without all the "postmodern" graphic touches) but that's me.

ZERO

Vodstok 05-13-2005 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by slasherman
this is one of the last books I read...have read it many times...its a true classic...

http://www.ayn-rand.com/graphics/RandFountainhead.jpg

Ugh.. I had soem freinds that tried for 5 years to try and jam that book down my throat, not realising that with me the more you tell me i have to do something, the less i want to.

PLus, i swear they were trying to make and "Objectivist" Cult....

God, it has been so long since i have actually been able to sit still long enough to read anything...

How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques
by Steven Raichlen

I love to cook, what can i say.....

The last actual book book i read (one with a story, or not just a collection of recipes) was Deranged by Harold Schecter, near the end of 2004. VERY good book about Albert Fish.

urgeok 05-13-2005 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Zero
I'm currently reading a book about horror films called Projected Fears, pretty interesting.

I just abandoned a book called Hunted Past Reason by the guy who wrote I Am Legend (and whose name I'm totally blanking on) - which started cool (about hiking and, as a hiker, I thought that was cool) but then turned into cliche-driven Deliverance rip-off. I just skipped to the last page and felt all the better for it.

Last really cool horror-ish book I read was House of Blue Leaves, of which I liked the core of the story (but could've lived without all the "postmodern" graphic touches) but that's me.

ZERO

richard matheson, isnt it ?

slasherman 05-14-2005 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Vodstok

PLus, i swear they were trying to make and "Objectivist" Cult....

Know what you mean..many fanatic fans of her "Politics"...but I like the story in "Fountainhead"...not necessarely the message...I'm not a big fan of "Atlas Scrugged" to much tema to little story..:)

virus five 05-14-2005 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Zero

I think you mean Danielewski's House of Leaves. One of my faves.

Last book for me: Chuck Palahniuk's Choke

urgeok 05-17-2005 05:37 AM

Short Stories of J.G. Ballard

(this is the guy who wrote Crash.. (the one made into a film by Chronenberg )

Dante'sInferno 05-17-2005 10:34 PM

Halo:Fall of reach

Zero 05-18-2005 04:40 AM

Yeah - mattheson. I loved I AM LEGEND and some of his other stuff but, damn, Hunted Past Reason was really "phoned-in". Very disappointing.

ZERO

horrifying 05-18-2005 01:17 PM

hannibal

Dante'sInferno 05-22-2005 10:09 AM

The Godfather Return's

Vodstok 05-27-2005 11:24 AM

Belly Laughs, by Jenny McCarthy. Yes, THAT Jenny McCarthy. Kind of required reading for people who are going to be having a baby soon.

Its actually very informative, and funny as fuck. Who knrew blondes with fake tits could actually be smart?

I think she got rid of the implants....

ItsAlive75 05-27-2005 09:39 PM

Just bought Haunted, the book of stories by Chuck Palahniuk.

If anyone's read it already, don't say anything.

jenna26 05-28-2005 10:45 AM

I finished Instruments of Night and Places in the Dark, both by Thomas H. Cook, this week. And I just started Alone With the Horrors by Ramsey Campbell.

surfnazi 05-31-2005 06:17 AM

I just finished reading George Orwell's "Animal Farm" a week ago and since than have been reading Dalton Trumbo's "Johnny Got His Gun", than I plan on finishing up Friedrich Nietsczhe(sp?)'s "Beyond Good & Evil".

The Mothman 05-31-2005 06:30 AM

hmmmmm...come to think of it I havnt read a book in about.....two years.

but the one i read two years ago was Patriot Games

The STE 06-02-2005 10:01 AM

Illusions by Richard Bach
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore

urgeok 06-02-2005 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by The STE
[BLamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Palby Christopher Moore [/B]

is that the Practical Demonkeeping christopher moore ?

The STE 06-02-2005 12:23 PM

yes

LilMissScareAll 06-03-2005 06:23 PM

I'm reading "How To Write A Movie In 21 Days" by Viki King.

The STE 06-03-2005 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by LilMissScareAll
I'm reading "How To Write A Movie In 21 Days" by Viki King.
Chapter 1. Type Fast

urgeok 06-04-2005 04:27 AM

chapter 2 - begging, pleading, and sucking up

The STE 06-04-2005 08:39 AM

I'm not quite sure that'd fit. Maybe in How To Get A Movie Made in 21 Days, but not writing it...

urgeok 06-05-2005 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The STE
I'm not quite sure that'd fit. Maybe in How To Get A Movie Made in 21 Days, but not writing it...
well maybe it should be chapter one ... cause it's what you would have to do to get that writing job in the 1st place ...

(unless you were making your own film of course)

tom-tom 06-06-2005 12:23 AM

Stephen King and Peter Straubs 'Black House'.

Vodstok 06-06-2005 07:36 AM

Still reading Belly Laughs.

And the latest issue of PC Gamer. Cmon, magazines are skinny books...

newb 06-06-2005 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Vodstok
Still reading Belly Laughs.

And the latest issue of PC Gamer. Cmon, magazines are skinny books...

Since I've had kids i kinda lost interest in reading.As they are getting older i find more time....perhaps i'll grab a book soon.

urgeok 06-06-2005 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by newb
Since I've had kids i kinda lost interest in reading.As they are getting older i find more time....perhaps i'll grab a book soon.
i always have the interest - but i never find the time ..

i read when i eat my breakfast -
takes a while but i'm a fast reader ..

Vodstok 06-06-2005 10:36 AM

I was an avid reader most of my life, i always had a book i was reading, sometimes two. Then i got a job at the helpdesk and my already shaky attention span got kicked in the groin and fed tons of sugar.

Now i have a hard time reading long posts here. i actually read more fo my stuff than anything.

AUSTIN316426808 06-07-2005 03:11 AM

Re: Last Read Book

Quote:

For me it was :
Hard Core Roadshow - (a diary of the making the film by Noel baker - the screenwriter)

still haven't found the film.

AUSTIN316426808 06-07-2005 03:20 AM

Clint : The Life and Legend

Clint Eastwood: Interviews (Conversations With Filmmakers Series)

Martin Scorsese: Interviews (Interviews With Filmmakers Series)

Scorsese Up Close: A Study of the Films : A Study of the Films (Filmmakers Series)

read those last month now I'm starting Vampires, it's a collection of short stories and portions of novels. Pretty good so far.

AUSTIN316426808 06-07-2005 03:22 AM

Quote:

cause it's what you would have to do to get that writing job in the 1st place ...

Tell me about it

tom-tom 06-08-2005 12:38 AM

Just finished reading Stephen King and Peter Straub's 'Blackhouse' - the sequeal to the 'Talisman' - and now I'm reading Dean Koontz, 'Odd Thomas'. And so far i have to conclude that the book isn't too good...pretty boring in actual fact, but i believe in giving chances...well, up untill page 200, or so.