Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Books & Fiction Writing (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What book u reading at the moment? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19622)

Geddy 10-19-2006 12:36 AM

I started reading Cujo last night.

alkytrio666 10-19-2006 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geddy (Post 491927)
I started reading Cujo last night.

I actually loved Cujo. The book goes so much deeper into fear and emotion than the movie does...

...but isn't that true with any Stephen King movie...?

zwoti 10-19-2006 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Return (Post 491798)
Have you seen Nightbreed?

Ive been meaning to read that myself, because the movie kicked so much ass.

got a few e-books, have to check which i have ;)

urgeok 10-19-2006 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zwoti (Post 492102)
got a few e-books, have to check which i have ;)

holy moley ! look who just dropped in :)

get lost on the forum ? :p

zwoti 10-19-2006 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urgeok (Post 492147)
holy moley ! look who just dropped in :)

get lost on the forum ? :p

just keeping out of general, you? :p

urgeok 10-20-2006 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zwoti (Post 492223)
just keeping out of general, you? :p

just starting trouble :)

noctuary 10-21-2006 04:00 AM

I just finished reading City of the Dead by Brian Keene. Hoo, boy. It's been a while since I've read a horror book that had the same blunt, visceral impact. It's been while since I've seen that sort of grim ending as well. No real spoilers there, as it's apparent fairly early on just how things are going to end up. If you like zombies, and you're willing to accept an extremely different kind of zombie, check these books out.

urgeok 10-21-2006 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noctuary (Post 492881)
I just finished reading City of the Dead by Brian Keene. Hoo, boy. It's been a while since I've read a horror book that had the same blunt, visceral impact. It's been while since I've seen that sort of grim ending as well. No real spoilers there, as it's apparent fairly early on just how things are going to end up. If you like zombies, and you're willing to accept an extremely different kind of zombie, check these books out.

i liked the take on how the zombies got there .. but i found the writing to be simplistic - typical of the genre.

you want a book with a blunt visceral impact - check out Jack Ketchum's Open Season.

reading it was like watching Last House on the Left ... but waaaaaay more brutal

noctuary 10-21-2006 05:44 AM

How does Open Season compare to The Girl Next Door, Urge? That's the only one of Ketchum's books that I've read, and to this day it remains the single most distressing thing I've ever read. If Open Season is more depressing than that, it should come with a prepackaged straight razor.

Sorry you didn't like Keene's books, by the way. I know that his style is... er... straightforward (or simple, as you put it) but something about the struggle of the characters to survive in a dead world (pun intended) really connected with me.

urgeok 10-21-2006 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noctuary (Post 492917)
How does Open Season compare to The Girl Next Door, Urge? That's the only one of Ketchum's books that I've read, and to this day it remains the single most distressing thing I've ever read. If Open Season is more depressing than that, it should come with a prepackaged straight razor.

Sorry you didn't like Keene's books, by the way. I know that his style is... er... straightforward (or simple, as you put it) but something about the struggle of the characters to survive in a dead world (pun intended) really connected with me.

the story was ok .. i just found the prose weak.

i havent read The Girl Next Door .. but Open Season was probably the most brutal book i've read ... it was also extremely well written
avoided most character and situation cliches that most other horror writers seem to be more than happy to use over and over again.