Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   "it's Overrated" (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23284)

urgeok 07-17-2006 01:57 PM

"it's Overrated"

looking for a definition here ...

something i see a lot .. "it's overrated'

my definition is "a lot of people liked it but you didnt - and for some reason you feel that you alone set the bar for the rest of the planet"

i dont think there is such a thing as 'overrated'

if tons of people like it - then its rated appropriately as to how they saw it....despite how you personally feel about it.

if you think its shit - then you think its shit.
doesnt mean everyone else is wrong. how can someone be wrong about liking or not liking a movie ??

I guess i used to that phrase in the past as well, but given a bit of reflection .. it just doesnt make sense.
I guess its never too late to gather a bit more wisdom.

slasherman 07-17-2006 02:32 PM

...cause of so many worthless (film) critics I think the word overrated can be used in a wise way..to remind people that they should'nt believe the hype...

urgeok 07-17-2006 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by slasherman
...cause of so many worthless (film) critics I think the word overrated can be used in a wise way..to remind people that they should'nt believe the hype...
your anti-hype is a hype of your own then ..

people should always judge a film for themselves ..
that wont stop people from sharing their feelings on how they enjoyed it or not ..

just like people do here.

PR3SSUR3 07-17-2006 02:45 PM

I think when generally positive word of mouth is over a film with only superficial qualities I could consider it overrated.

Hip and fashionable action sequences can make a film the current in-thing to enthuse about for example, which is not to say the masses are stupid but rather they are perhaps more easily pleased.

slasherman 07-17-2006 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by urgeok
your anti-hype is a hype of your own then ..

people should always judge a film for themselves ..
that wont stop people from sharing their feelings on how they enjoyed it or not ..

just like people do here.

overrated for what I know means that a movie is rated too high...when you disagree with a rating it means that you think its overrated..its just a word
A hype for all I know is when many people are wrong .. as an individual I cant create a hype....

The_Return 07-17-2006 03:26 PM

I agree, it's a very overrated word.

slasherman 07-17-2006 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The_Return
I agree, it's a very overrated word.
disagree ..underrated

Miss Olivia 07-17-2006 10:06 PM

Overrated is a word people use to make themselves sound more credible. If you use it, it implies extensive experience and qualifications to make a judgement.

If we were sitting around and chatting without really knowing each other (which we do) saying it (the subject) is overrated is an easy way to say you don't like something, because it implies that you have experienced a diverse collection of the subject and are qualified to make that statement.

Or something.;)

mothermold 07-17-2006 10:31 PM

Re: "it's Overrated"

Quote:

my definition is "a lot of people liked it but you didnt - and for some reason you feel that you alone set the bar for the rest of the planet"

I would say your defintion is straight on IMO,but I feel it's more of a "control" issue with certain people as opposed to arrogance or self importance.

Those said individuals seem to feel that by insulting a film they take it down a peg in both their mind and whoever may be listening thus exerting some form of control.

(it's just a theory of mine)

The STE 07-17-2006 11:10 PM

Re: "it's Overrated"

Quote:

i dont think there is such a thing as 'overrated'

if tons of people like it - then its rated appropriately as to how they saw it....despite how you personally feel about it.

if you think its shit - then you think its shit.
doesnt mean everyone else is wrong. how can someone be wrong about liking or not liking a movie ??

I guess i used to that phrase in the past as well, but given a bit of reflection .. it just doesnt make sense.
I guess its never too late to gather a bit more wisdom.

"overrated" is just opinion. If a lot of people love a movie that you think sucks, then to you it is overrated.