Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Lesser known horror films (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51843)

_____V_____ 07-25-2009 08:04 AM

Lesser known horror films

And even early works of horror by leading filmmakers.

It's a real shame we don't have a thread devoted to them, because most of the pioneers of horror who shaped the genre had some really good and solid lesser-known works and early flicks which were outright solid and awesome.

This thread will be devoted to discuss those films and also act as a sort of recommendation thread to other ardent horror fans keen to check out such films of great filmmakers.

Let's start with George Romero. We know all about his "Dead" films, but what of the rest?
Here's a brief list :-

Hungry Wives aka Season of the Witch (1972)

The Crazies (1973) (admit it - only after talks of the remake surfaced that people started to take some interest in the original)

Martin (1977)

Monkey Shines (1988) (gets shoved under the Romero radar a lot)

Two Evil Eyes (1990) [with Dario Argento]

The Dark Half (1991) (under-estimated as well)

Have you seen these? If yes, would you recommend them to others?

All this and more. Bring them to this thread, and discuss.

Geddy 07-25-2009 08:26 AM

The only of the listed films I've seen was The Crazies, which was a cool little zombie-esque survival film.

I'm going to check out the rest of Romero's stuff in the very near future.

alkytrio666 07-25-2009 01:32 PM

The Crazies is a fantastic film, very dark, very cynical. They're actually remaking that one and, like 'Dawn', they'll probably ignorantly miss Romero's message in favor of blatant carnage.

One fantastic lesser known work of horror by a big-name director is Cronenberg's The Brood. It's very moody, wicked weird and has intense theories about the psychological effects of divorce and other parental problems on children. I highly recommend this one.

Elvis_Christ 07-26-2009 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _____V_____ (Post 821799)
Hungry Wives aka Season of the Witch (1972)

Haven't seen this one, is it any good? I love the other ones you mentioned especially Martin. You forgot to mention Knightriders, its a really overlooked flick of his.

Gary Sherman's film Dead & Buried (scripted by Ronald Shusett & Dan O' Bannon) deserves a place in the tread. For such a great movie it gets very little recognition.

roshiq 07-26-2009 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _____V_____ (Post 821799)

Let's start with George Romero. We know all about his "Dead" films, but what of the rest?
Here's a brief list :-
Martin (1977)

Monkey Shines (1988) (gets shoved under the Romero radar a lot)

The Dark Half (1991) (under-estimated as well)

I liked all three of them. I think Monkey Shines is an excellent underrated horror thriller, saw it quite a long time ago on VHS, so surely I'm now very much like to go for a 2nd viewing on DVD. The Dark Half was a very favorite film of mine as I remember a very good friend of my told me the story first and I just instantly become a fan of it and later saw it on a TV channel. The funny thing was that time we didn't have a single idea about the director & his legacy in horror cinema.

fortunato 07-26-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alkytrio666 (Post 821827)
One fantastic lesser known work of horror by a big-name director is Cronenberg's The Brood. It's very moody, wicked weird and has intense theories about the psychological effects of divorce and other parental problems on children. I highly recommend this one.

Seconded, for sure.

Ferox13 07-27-2009 12:26 AM

Hungry Wives aka Season of the Witch (1972) - I really liked this for reason.

The Crazies (1973) (admit it - only after talks of the remake surfaced that people started to take some interest in the original) - Naw saw this back in the day. Even have an old Pre-vra VHS ex-rental of it. Great film - very depresssing and dark. I' suprised more people don't like this one.

Martin (1977) - Another great and original Romero film. haven't seen it in some time but again all I have is an old VHS ex-rental of it and no VHS player lol.

Monkey Shines (1988) (gets shoved under the Romero radar a lot) - this for me was the start of Romeros downfall. Its not bad but not great.

Two Evil Eyes (1990) [with Dario Argento] - Loved tis for the Harvey/Argento section - Romeros part was like a TV movie.

The Dark Half (1991) (under-estimated as well). Didn't like this at all.

Knightriders - Haven't seen this in years but I remember liking it. It a weird concept. I must try give it a wacth again.

Bruiser - This was bad beyond belief. Every thing about it sucked.

AGreed with Elvis about DEAD AND BURIED. There was a time it was on everyones top 10 list but it seems not a lot of people have forgotten about it.

Does every one like STREET TRASH or has this one started to dissappear?

FROM A WHISPER TO A SCREAM is a decent anthology film with Vincient Price in the framing device.

Elvis_Christ 07-27-2009 12:33 AM

Street Trash definitely has its fans its quite popular over here these days.

From A Whisper To A Scream is great. I've got a great version of it with Price holding a severed head and a meat cleaver.

Alone In The Dark is another one to few people give props too. I love it, it'd be great if Jack Scholder put out some more flicks like that and The Hidden.

I really dig Body Parts a lot of people thought it was pretty lukewarm when it came out but I love the darkness of Eric Red's script.

urgeok 07-27-2009 07:11 AM

since participating in horror forums ... its funny but i thought all those films were well known .. at least around here

Ferox13 07-27-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urgeok (Post 822090)
since participating in horror forums ... its funny but i thought all those films were well known .. at least around here

YA thats what I thought.

Good call on ALONE IN THE DARK - I wastched again a month or 2 back to see if I still liked it and yeah its still a great film.

How about Jose Larrez' VAMPYRES?