Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Compilations and Pastimes (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   1896 - 2012: The Official HDC Selection from 100+ Years of Horror Cinema (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63436)

_____V_____ 09-01-2013 02:48 AM

1896 - 2012: The Official HDC Selection from 100+ Years of Horror Cinema

Greetings to all cinema fans horror or non-horror,

Throughout the history of cinema, one genre has managed to break through and has carved a separate niche for itself. It has gone from strength to strength in the past 100+ years, and contemporary genre fans know that our genre is dotted with examples which have become milestones not only in horror cinema, but all cinema in general.

What we have sat down to chisel out, is the finest examples by decade in the history of horror cinema. We hope that this exhaustive project - 3 years in the making, including debates/discussions for almost one FULL year - serves as a guide to the present and future generations about the most notable examples captured on celluloid by our genre filmmaker veterans over the years. And, in the end, what we have produced, are more than 300 of the finest films the horror genre has produced over the years - right from the silent era, through the black & white vintage classics, the advent of British & foreign horror, fully colored films, hugely popular 60s/70s/80s stuff, cult classics and the latest contemporary masterpieces.

200 officially selected films. 10 must-see documentaries. 55 of the finest Honorable Mentions. And 50 of the best individual recommendations you can get.

Yes. It's H-U-G-E!

Big thanks go to everyone involved in this project. The list of all involved members will be posted at the end of the compilation.

This is our signature, our legacy.

We hope this stands the test of time and serves as a definitive guide, even long after we all are gone.

For the first period, the very early horror, I have posted links to the full films on youtube. From the second period onwards, many films are not in public domain and so have to be bought (as VHS/DVD copies) from the copyright holding companies. I have added trailers because of that reason. You can still find some full films from the 1930s onwards on several online video streaming websites such as youtube, vimeo, dailymotion, hulu, etc.

I sincerely request anyone and everyone who opens this thread - please give the page(s) a minute so that the corresponding youtube videos can load up into the links. Once that happens, scrolling through will be a breeze.

Grab your coffees, notepads and pens, as I quote from one of my favorite holiday horror films - "Onward, into the compilation!"

_____V_____ 09-01-2013 04:09 AM

The FIRST PERIOD: 1896 - 1929

Le Manoir Du Diable (1896)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

It deserves inclusion by virtue of that fact that it's generally considered to be the first horror film. While it was made to be goofy and playful rather than frightening, it still contains many aspects of what would become part of the language of horror cinema--Gothic castle, bats, ghouls, ghosts, as well as some early special effects--all in one 3+ minute short. - fortunato

(Edison's) Frankenstein (1910)
Wikipedia Link

L'Inferno (aka) Dante's Inferno (1911)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

Deserves inclusion because not only the first full length horror from Italy but because it successfully adapted the first on-screen vision of hell adapted from Dante's writings. It's also the world's oldest surviving feature length film. Though it's more like a series of set pieces than a cohesive movie, it impressively portrays in graphic detail the many torments to be inflicted on it's residents. Inspired by the illustrations of Gustav Doré the original silent film has been restored and has a new score by Tangerine Dream. This gives the whole nightmare an atmosphere that is relentlessly unique and otherworldly that will still send a shiver down the spine of the viewer. - Fearonsarms

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
Wikipedia Link

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920)
Wikipedia Link

The Golem (1920)
Wikipedia Link

_____V_____ 09-01-2013 04:31 AM

_____V_____ 09-01-2013 04:49 AM

The Bat (1926)
Wikipedia Link

A Page of Madness (aka) Kurutta ippęji (1926)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

It's one of the first films, as far as I know, to use a "pure cinema" approach to exploring the subjectivity of madness, creating expressive visual poetry of a distorted and frightening world. With surreal imagery and experimental editing techniques, A Page of Madness is a haunting, insane masterpiece, surely unique in not only its time, but even to this day. I strongly encourage anyone not familiar with the film to watch it. - fortunato

Faust (1926)
Wikipedia Link

The Lodger (1927)
Wikipedia Link

The Cat and the Canary (1927)
Wikipedia Link

_____V_____ 09-01-2013 05:06 AM

_____V_____ 09-01-2013 06:24 AM

_____V_____ 09-01-2013 06:51 AM

Vampyr (1932)
Wikipedia Link

White Zombie (1932)
Wikipedia Link

The Old Dark House (1932)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

All star cast and a tremendously wicked script combine to make a movie well worth watching. - neverending

Island of Lost Souls (1932)
Wikipedia Link

The Mummy (1932)
Wikipedia Link

_____V_____ 09-01-2013 07:16 AM

_____V_____ 09-01-2013 07:36 AM

The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
Wikipedia Link

The Raven (1935)
Wikipedia Link

Mad Love (1935)
Wikipedia Link

The Invisible Ray (1936)
Wikipedia Link

Son of Frankenstein (1939)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

It completes the Frankenstein trilogy, and contains a lot of the imagery that we remember. - neverending

_____V_____ 09-01-2013 09:16 AM

_____V_____ 09-01-2013 09:39 AM

I Walked with a Zombie (1943)
Wikipedia Link

The Leopard Man (1943)
Wikipedia Link

Phantom of the Opera (1943)
Wikipedia Link

Son of Dracula (1943)
Wikipedia Link

The Lodger (1944)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

Laird Cregar's performance as Jack the Ripper is chilling. It's one of the few Ripper films that isn't gimmicky in some way. It treats the case in a straight forward manner. - neverending

_____V_____ 09-01-2013 09:58 AM

_____V_____ 09-01-2013 10:47 AM

Dead of Night (1945)
Wikipedia Link

The Spiral Staircase (1945)
Wikipedia Link

Bedlam (1946)
Wikipedia Link

The Beast with Five Fingers (1946)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

One of the cleverest and most stylish horror films of the decade. A strong, relatively early example of the stylish, low-key look that helps define gothic horror films. - fortunato

Bud Abbott Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
Wikipedia Link

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1949)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

Bing Crosby is great, it's spooky, the animation is fantastic... it's just one of my favorite horror pieces of all time. Sure, it's a lighthearted take on the original story, but it's held up better than most of the films of that period. - Despare

_____V_____ 09-01-2013 09:18 PM

The FOURTH PERIOD: 1950 - 1959

The Thing from Another World (1951)
Wikipedia Link

House of Wax (1953)
Wikipedia Link

The War of the Worlds (1953)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

I found many scenes, actually the whole film, absolutely horrifying. It's sci-fi subject matter to the core, but the film was made with a bus load of horror elements. We've just got sneak attacked by intelligent monsters from outer space that intend to wipe us out completely, and we're getting beaten so bad, it looks like were going to lose. To me, this script/film is us getting wiped out by mass murder. In that way, it plays as sci-fi/horror, just like The Thing & Body Snatchers. - Sculpt

Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
Wikipedia Link

Them! (1954)
Wikipedia Link

Godzilla (aka) Gojira (1954)
Wikipedia Link

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 12:14 AM

Diabolique (aka) Les Diaboliques (1955)
Wikipedia Link

The Night of the Hunter (1955)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

It's not only a great horror movie, it's a damn good movie, period. Robert Mitchum's preacher is a chilling portrayal, a true monster. - neverending

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
Wikipedia Link

The Bad Seed (1956)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

Not only a true pioneer classic for the sub-genre of evil-child movies but as a film, in terms of making, characterization & a theme that was way ahead of its time, The Bad Seed is a much deserving film to be in any greatest lists for 50s Hollywood masterpieces. It's always a great challenge to tell such a sensitive story within a limited set up & few characters and the director Mervyn Leroy did an excellent job in creating an utterly gripping atmosphere where we see a psychological cat & mouse game between a helpless mother & her evil little girl. The very young Patty McCormack playing the title character Rhoda Penmark was a remarkable delightful watch. - roshiq

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (aka) Notre-Dame de Paris (1956)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

It's a great example of gothic horror. Anthony Quinn's performance was quality and the atmosphere and set designs were amazing. - Straker

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 12:29 AM

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 12:56 AM

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 01:17 AM

The FIFTH PERIOD: 1960 - 1969

Eyes Without a Face (aka) Les yeux sans visage (1960)
Wikipedia Link

Peeping Tom (1960)
Wikipedia Link

Psycho (1960)
Wikipedia Link

House of Usher (1960)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

It's possibly my favorite Corman movie and my favorite Price performance. Roderick's lament on the Usher family history is Price at his best. - Straker

The Brides of Dracula (1960)
Wikipedia Link

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 01:44 AM

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 02:04 AM

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 02:37 AM

Spider Baby or, The Maddest Story Ever Told (1968)
Wikipedia Link

Witchfinder General (1968)
Wikipedia Link

Rosemary's Baby (1968)
Wikipedia Link

Targets (1968)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

Its low key story of an aging horror movie star disarming a sniper at a drive in theatre neatly encapsulates the transition from old school to modern horror not only in films of the era, but the world itself at that time.

Peter Bagdonovich burst upon the scene with this film, and after the brilliant The Last Picture Show, he never made another great film. This is also Boris Karloff's last great performance. He fretted over filming the long speech in the hotel room, but after a few stiff drinks with director Bagdonovich, he nailed it in one take.

This low budget masterpiece is a great statement of its times. It IS horror, and it transcends horror. - neverending

Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Wikipedia Link

The Cremator (aka) Spalovač Mrtvol (1969)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

This is not only one of the best movies of the 60's but one of the better horror movies ever made. Not only does it epitomise the era, its one of the finest portrayals of a serial killer ever given.

Rudolf Hrunsinsky puts in an amazing performance as The Cremator - he has this perfect disarming and unassuming look that will remind veiwers of a young Peter Lorre and a voice that is almost soothing to listen to, but from the start you are made aware that there is something so wrong and insidious about this guy.

The movie, while set against the backdrop of the second world war, is purely about the complusive mind of The Cremator. Totally obsessed with his work or what he sees as his duty, every action he takes is about furthering his work and realising his ambitions. What makes The Cremator such a perfect villian is the purety of his thoughts and mind, this is a guy so self obsessed and so single minded that he is prepared to use the Nazi party as a tool to realise his ambition while seeming totally ambivalent to their cause. For The Cremator they are just a tool to further his ambition.

The cinematography from Stanislav Milota is some of the finest work you will ever see, freeze frame at any point in this movie and you will have a beautiful still. Every shot, every scene is beautifully planned and executed. Scenes flow into each other with ease and the story plays out like a waking nightmare. Some of the scenes are amongst the best the genre has to offer.

Dark, atmospheric, visceral portrait of a disturbed mind, categorised as a horror comedy by IMDB, this is horror with a gentle hint of disturb humor, but certainly no comedy. Juraj Herz wrote and directed a masterpiece. There is no doubt in my mind that if this movie had the exposure other movies get or you simply switched the name Juraj Herz for David Lynch on the cover of the movie, this movie would be rightly considered a masterpiece of our genre.

I recommend to all of you that if you ever get the chance to watch this movie (can be found on youtube and now available on DVD after being lost for some 40 years) then take the time to give it a watch. It really is an amazing movie and in an era of great movies it easily stands alongside the best of the era. - Straker

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 03:04 AM

The SIXTH PERIOD: 1970 - 1979

The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
Wikipedia Link

The Last House on the Left (1972)
Wikipedia Link

The Exorcist (1973)
Wikipedia Link

The Wicker Man (1973)
Wikipedia Link

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Wikipedia Link

Black Christmas (1974)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

Black Christmas is often considered the first slasher film. I have even read a book which classified all horror before Black Christmas and all horror after, thus stating that it officially dawned a new era of horror. This fact can not be ignored. Of course, it did not make as much money as Halloween or even The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but it is still a very worthy contender.
The film has an interesting premise and story. Plus, the acting is pretty good for a film like this. Even the killer (whose identity is never revealed) is intriguing. The film even has a little humor strewn into it. No top 1970s horror list would be complete without this seminal classic. - metternich1815

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 03:33 AM

Jaws (1975)
Wikipedia Link

Burnt Offerings (1976)
Wikipedia Link

The Omen (1976)
Wikipedia Link

Carrie (1976)
Wikipedia Link

Suspiria (1977)
Wikipedia Link

Eraserhead (1977)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

Most accessible and mainstream surrealist horror out there. Quality directing from Lynch who really manages to create a legitimate 'dream state' type of movie. Beautifully paranoid feel to the whole movie that just keeps the viewer in that awkward place that makes these types of movies so much fun. One of the few movies I go out of my way to show to friends who haven't seen it. - Straker

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 03:46 AM

Rabid (1977)
Wikipedia Link

The Hills Have Eyes (1977)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

When I think of backwoods/redneck/freak type movies this is what I think of. It is a classic of the decade. - The Villain

Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Wikipedia Link

Halloween (1978)
Wikipedia Link

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Wikipedia Link

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 04:06 AM

Phantasm (1979)
Wikipedia Link

Alien (1979)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

One of my top horror movies of all time, as it follows more of a slasher format, and is also genuinely scary. - Giganticface

The Amityville Horror (1979)
Wikipedia Link

Zombi 2 (aka) Zombie (1979)
Wikipedia Link

Salem's Lot (1979)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

Tobe Hooper really delivers a 'perfect' horror movie, sure the TV movie style looks a little dated but there are so many iconic moments and scenes that its hard not to love this movie. James Mason puts in a truly amazing performance, the atmosphere is perfect and certain scenes stand amongst the best the genre has to offer. - Straker

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 04:53 AM

The SEVENTH PERIOD: 1980 - 1989

Cannibal Holocaust (1980)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

it's one of the most impactful horror movies I've ever seen. I understand that it's not for everyone, but hopefully it will be judged on its merits and not purely on taste.

Not many exploitation films have made it (because they've been beaten by better films), but this one transcends exploitation via self-satirization and irony. It also serves as a transition from 70s grindhouse to an era of "proper," and generally respectable, horror that took off in the 80s. If you're put off by the real animal killings, which is totally understandable, hopefully the assurance that all the animals were consumed by the natives, as they regularly did, helps alleviate that.

Regarding the film, its story and its execution, I find it to be truly unique and impeccably executed. I'm amazed that the real-life natives are almost better actors than the actors. I have no idea how Deodato accomplished that. It's one of the reasons the movie feels so real. That, and the intermixing of Animal Kingdom-style footage and mondo real death video (which, as part of the storyline, is a "faked" documentary), causes the line between reality and fiction to blur to the point that the viewer is subconsciously confused, and the acted violence becomes significantly more disturbing that it would have been otherwise. This is a stroke of genius by Deodato.

The story is brilliant, consisting of two excursions -- the second team setting out to solve the mystery of the first team's disappearance, a story which is revealed incrementally via footage that the second team found. The footage revealed that the true horror was just as much due to human nature, of which the exploitative and, eventually evil, Westerners are bound to, as it was to the cannibalistic nature of the natives. It should also be mentioned that the found footage aspect of this film predates the "original" found footage film, The Blair Witch Project, by nearly 20 years, and that it was so well executed that Deodato was actually tried in a criminal court for suspicion of killing his actors.

Cannibal Holocaust outdid all of its subgenre predecessors, both in intelligent storytelling and execution, and effectively killed off the cannibal subgenre. After this one, there will never be a need for another one. - Giganticface

The Changeling (1980)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

It's amongst the best the 80s has to offer, easily. This is one of the most perfect haunted house movies and is absolutely overflowing with atmosphere and tension. George C. Scott is outstanding and is aided by a fine supporting cast, including the great Melvyn Douglas. The séance scene is probably the best example of a scene that has been recycled countless times in horror. No blood and gore, just pure horror. This one really is a timeless classic that needs to be recognised. The ultimate 'Things that go bump in the night' movie. Full of tension, atmosphere and genuine chills with barely a drop of blood in sight. - Straker

Friday the 13th (1980)
Wikipedia Link

The Shining (1980)
Wikipedia Link

Scanners (1981)
Wikipedia Link

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 05:18 AM

The Howling (1981)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

Best modern reality take on werewolves since The Wolfman. - Sculpt

The Beyond (aka) E tu vivrai nel terrore! L'aldilā (1981)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

It's surreal, has some excellent, creative practical gore effects, and spiders that bite people's faces off. I enjoy zombies, but typically they don't scare me. The slow, staring ones in this film do, as does that chick's eyes. Some might not enjoy the non-linear nature of the story, or might consider it nonsensical, which is fair, but for someone that enjoys surrealism and the bizarre, I think it makes more sense than it's often believed to. Even if it didn't, it wouldn't matter. I'd choose the film that had the most impact on me, and this one is it. - Giganticface

An American Werewolf in London (1981)
Wikipedia Link

The Evil Dead (1981)
Wikipedia Link

Basket Case (1982)
Wikipedia Link

Poltergeist (1982)
Wikipedia Link

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 05:41 AM

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 06:08 AM

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 06:57 AM

The EIGHTH PERIOD: 1990 - 1999

Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut (1990)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

An unique film where the monsters are the good guys and the humans the monsters. A startling conception from Clive Barker. The film as it stands is admittedly flawed, but when The Cabal Cut gets released people are going to see what a powerful, original film this truly is. Having recently seen Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut, the restored version that can only be seen at festivals or conventions, it was truly a mind blowing experience. Barker's best film by far. - neverending

The Exorcist III (1990)
Wikipedia Link

Jacob's Ladder (1990)
Wikipedia Link

Misery (1990)
Wikipedia Link

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Wikipedia Link

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 07:23 AM

Dead Alive (aka) Braindead (1992)
Wikipedia Link

Candyman (1992)
Wikipedia Link

Army of Darkness (1992)
Wikipedia Link

Dracula (aka) Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

One of the most brilliant adaptations of Dracula and actually followed relatively closely to the book (with the major exception of the romance being added). It included some terrific performances by Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins and some really good special effects. - metternich1815

Cronos (1993)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

Its such a quality horror flick and great take on the vampire genre. Del Toro is a quality writer and director and this is not only his first feature length movie, but easily amongst his best work. The story is beautiful and the characters are believable. Its one of the most creative and original vampire movies ever made. For anyone who hasn't watched it, you really have to see it, great piece of cinema. - Straker

New Nightmare (aka) Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

This film is one of the few, if not only, slasher movies that can actually scare me. Additionally, I thought the idea was very unique, especially how the people involved in the movie all played themselves. Additionally, the atmosphere and acting was really top-notch. Definitely an underrated film that is actually quite brilliant. - metternich1815

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 07:44 AM

In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

One of the most underrated John Carpenter films. The film is about an individual whose horror books are causing people to commit violent actions, which may ultimately leading to the end of the world. This film was very effective at blurring the lines between real and non-real. Also a pretty excellent performance by Sam Neill. - metternich1815

Seven (aka) Se7en (1995)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

Here's my definition of a horror movie:

A movie qualifies as horror if
a) a significant focus is given to characters in a situation where a deadly or harmful force -- be it a metaphysical force, such as a ghost or demon, a physical enemy, such as one or more creatures or humans, or the characters' own psychological state -- is threatening to harm or scare them, AND
b) that the intent of film is to scare, shock, disturb, disgust, or cause discomfort to the viewer.

By my definition, a movie like Se7en does not qualify as horror. That movie satisfies part b) (disturb or disgust the viewer), but not a). No scene in the movie puts the characters in a situation where they fear for their well being. There is one chase scene, but that's really an action scene, and the main characters are the ones doing the chasing. The murder scene set-pieces are certainly disturbing, but at no point are the cops entering the scene at risk. The characters don't know that they are victims of the antagonist until the final reveal, and neither does the viewer.

BUT, I did rank Se7en in my 90s list because I consider the purpose of this project to not just rank horror movies, but point out the important points in the history of horror. Although I don't consider Se7en a horror movie, it made a significant contribution to the genre, being a huge influence with it's crisp, cold, stylized production, high level of gore, and aggressive industrial rock musical score. James Wan owes a lot to Fincher for the style of his Saw series. Its influence can be found all over the place, even in TV with the Hannibal series. - Giganticface

Scream (1996)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

It was one of the most brilliant and witty horror movies up to that time. Additionally, it helped to revive horror movies. I also thought it was a great psychological thriller. - metternich1815

Cube (1997)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

Cube is an intriguing psychological thriller. This film shares a number of similarities with a later film known as Saw. Both films include a group of people trapped somewhere that must try to survive a series of traps, in order to survive. Despite being similar and having similar set ups, this film more effectively explores humanity. It is interesting to see how the characters slowly descend into paranoia and even sacrifice their morals in order to survive (this is especially true of the supposed hero). Definitely one of the greatest films of the period. - metternich1815

Wishmaster (1997)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

This is an interesting film that largely went unnoticed in 1997. It follows the myth of the Djinn relatively closely. What I like the most is that they throw this myth into a modern world. Although an unlikely villain (he can only grant wishes), it is very effective at using him. The way he grants the wishes is the most interesting part of this film. Plus, it includes cameos by Angus Scrimm, Robert Englund, Kane Hodder, and Tony Todd. - metternich1815

I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

An interesting mystery, which is also a slasher. It created the villain known as the Fisherman. As was common with the slashers created due to Scream, the killer was mortal, rather than immortal. - metternich1815

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 07:56 AM

Ringu (aka) Ring (1998)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

An important movie that really strengthened the J Horror movement. - The Villain

The Blair Witch Project (1999)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

It is easily one of the most brilliant and unique films of the 1990s. Many of the films that came after it were of various quality, but that film is amazing. To this day, I regard it as one of the scariest movies I have ever seen. Even if you do not like The Blair Witch Project, you have to admit it deserves to be on any top 20 horror list for the 1990s. The film was one of the most successful independent films of all time. It made $248 million on a self-declared budget of $35,000, not including promotion. Additionally, it launched the reality TV phase and this is according to the creator of Survivor (which launched the reality TV show phase), as well as the hugely popular "Found Footage" sub-genre. Furthermore, it had a brilliant marketing campaign and was one of the first films to launch a website. - metternich1815

Stir of Echoes (1999)
Wikipedia Link

The Sixth Sense (1999)
Wikipedia Link

Sleepy Hollow (1999)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

The direction, acting, score, writing and sets are all superbly done. It has a great story and a genuine spooky atmosphere. It is also IMO the best version of The Headless Horseman story i have seen made into film. - The Villain

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 09:14 AM

The NINTH PERIOD: 2000 - 2012

American Psycho (2000)
Wikipedia Link

Ginger Snaps (2000)
Wikipedia Link

Little Otik (aka) Greedy Guts (aka) Otesanek (2000)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

It's basically an eastern European fairy tale. Way off beat dark comedy from the legendary director Jan Svankmajer. This is visual cinema at its best. Svankmajer is an absolute legend, specifically of surreal/ stop motion cinema and this is probably the most accessible work. - Straker

Jeepers Creepers (2001)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

I thought the acting and character development was really good. Additionally, the story/plot was unique and intriguing. The creature looked very scary. Lastly, I thought that the film had excellent atmosphere. I was surprised it made the cut though because it is one of those films that gets a lot of undeserved hate. - metternich1815

The Others (2001)
Wikipedia Link

Frailty (2001)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

This was an excellent, if overlooked, film from the 2000s. It follows a family in the rural area, whose head (the Father) is supposedly getting a list from God, of the people who are really demons and he must kill them. There are some brilliant performances here, especially Bill Paxton (who directed the film) and Matthew McConaughey. The story is captivating and the atmosphere is perfect. You never really know what to believe throughout this film. Is this guy crazy or is he telling the truth? Anyway, an all-around excellent movie, although, unfortunately, often overlooked. - metternich1815

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 09:32 AM

May (2002)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

This is a very interesting, if not weird, film from 2002. The film follows a woman named May, who works at a veterinary hospital and is very strange. I will not go into specifics, in case anyone has not seen it, but it is an excellent film. You really feel for the main character, as things go on. Eventually leading to a big twist, which is when the film gets weirder (and really gory). This film is well-acted, well-directed, and the story is very strange and captivating. I do believe that many have overlooked this film, especially when it came out, which is unfortunate because it is actually one of the best of the previous decade. - metternich1815

Dog Soldiers (2002)
Wikipedia Link

Signs (2002)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

Signs is - for ME personally - one of the most terrifying movies I have ever seen. When I first attempted to watch it, I had to leave the room, and I think that's the only time a horror movie has done that to me in my adult life. - Kandarian Demon

The Ring (2002)
Wikipedia Link

28 Days Later... (2002)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

This is a great zombie (I realize that they are a virus and not true zombies, but for all intents and purposes they are zombies) film from the United Kingdom. What is great about the film is its realism - everything seems real: the settings, the characters, etc. On that note, there was some excellent performances and brilliant character development. When characters die, you really feel for them. Another brilliant aspect of this film is that it is more about the people than the zombies, which is what I love about it. Zombies actually do not have as much on screen time as you would think they should. It also delves into the question of human nature without directly saying it. An all-around excellent film. - metternich1815

A Tale of Two Sisters (aka) Janghwa, Hongryeon (2003)
Wikipedia Link

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 09:53 AM

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 10:17 AM

[°REC] (2007)
Wikipedia Link

Paranormal Activity (2007)
Wikipedia Link

The Mist (2007)
Wikipedia Link

Let the Right One In (aka) Låt den Rätte Komma in (2008)
Wikipedia Link

Cloverfield (2008)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:

Effective photorealism on the big screen. Very engrossing. - Sculpt

The Cabin in the Woods (2012)
Wikipedia Link

-------------------------X------------------------------X------------------------------

RECOMMENDED DOCUMENTARIES FOR THE EVOLUTION OF HORROR FILMS

Flesh and Blood: The Hammer Heritage of Horror (1994)
100 Years of Horror (1996)
Universal Horror (1998)
The American Nightmare (2000)
It Conquered Hollywood! The Story of American International Pictures (2001)
Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film (2006)
Nightmares in Red, White and Blue: The Evolution of the American Horror Film (2009)
A History of Horror with Mark Gatiss (2010)
American Grindhouse (2010)
Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan (2011)

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 10:47 AM

HONORABLE MENTIONS

1896 - 1929

The 400 Tricks of the Devil (1906, Short)
The Student of Prague (1913)
The Golem (1915)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920)
Waxworks (1924)
The Lost World (1925)

1930 - 1939

Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933)
Mark of the Vampire (1935)
Werewolf of London (1935)
The Devil-Doll (1936)
The Golem (1936)
The Hound of the Baskervilles (1939)

1940 - 1949

Before I Hang (1940)
The Invisible Man Returns (1940)
The Mummy's Hand (1940)
The Fall of the House of Usher (1949)
The Tell-Tale Heart (1941, Short)
Dragonwyck (1946)

1950 - 1959

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953)
The Quatermass Xperiment (1955)
The Amazing Colossal Man (1957)
El vampiro (1957)
I Was a Teenage Werewolf (1957)

1960 - 1969

The Little Shop of Horrors (1960)
Mr. Sardonicus (1961)
Invasion of the Triffids (1962)
Blood Feast (1963)
The Raven (1963)
Onibaba (1964)

1970 - 1979

The Night Stalker (1972, TV Movie)
Frankenstein: The True Story (1973, TV Movie)
Deep Red (1975)
Martin (1977)
The Sentinel (1977)
The Driller Killer (1979)

1980 - 1989

The Fog (1980)
Sleepaway Camp (1983)
Day of the Dead (1985)
Demons (1985)
The Return of the Living Dead (1985)
Near Dark (1987)

1990 - 1999

Tremors (1990)
Cemetary Man (1994)
From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)
Event Horizon (1997)
Funny Games (1997)
Audition (1999)

2000 - 2012

Battle Royale (2000)
The Devil's Backbone (2001)
Oldboy (2003)
Hard Candy (2005)
The Host (2006)
Inside (aka) Ā l'intérieur (2007)
The Orphanage (2007)

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 11:20 AM

HDC MEMBERS SPECIALLY RECOMMEND...

The Sealed Room (1909)
Quote:

Kinda plays out more like a melodrama, loosely based on The Cask of Amontillado. Nice early example of gothic cinema. Pretty well edited for the time, which keeps the drama/ tension flowing which in itself is a pretty awesome achievement considering there are only a handful of static shots across the 11 minutes run time. Its quite dark for the time and the tension builds nicely and its all well put together. Great movie from a great director, check it out here if you have a spare 10 mins. - Straker

The Black Room (1935)
Quote:

Though it comes with a traditional set up but it showcases one of the best & pretty rare performances from (if I'm not mistaken, I think this is the only film where) the King of Horror in a double role of playing twin brothers: one good, the other evil! And that itself makes it a must see, IMO. - Roshiq

Tarantula (1955)
Quote:

A generalized classic. I actually liked it's slower character-driven pace. Kind of a sleepy rainy day horror film. - Sculpt

I, Vampiri (1956) [full film]
Quote:

Not only was this one of Bava's first directing efforts (uncredited), it was also the first Italian horror of the sound era. Not the best example of his work, but still a landmark in the genre and Bava's career, featuring both beautiful cinematography from Bava and some quality set design. - Straker

Black Sunday (aka) La Maschera del Demonio (1960)
Quote:

Italian horror and giallo was a hugely influential movement that left us with some of our all-time favorite horror films, and it started here. Mario Bava provided the template of what would evolve over the next 20 years. - Giganticface

Village of the Damned (1960)
Quote:

It is an excellent classic from the 1960s. - metternich1815

The Haunted Palace (1963)
Quote:

There is this particularly frightening scene where Vincent Price's character looks up at the painting of Joseph Curwen, and his face goes from gentle to pure evil in a split second. No special effects, just good acting. I almost peed my pants the first time I saw it! - Kandarian Demon

The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
Quote:

Hammer's Evil of Frankenstein revealed a truly MAD scientist who was a cold and evil man. He was far more frightening than the creature he created. That was the legacy of horror films in the 60s. Humanity was exposed as the monster. Sure, there were exceptions, but this was the dominant paradigm. - Neverending

Kwaidan (aka) Kaidan (1964)
Quote:

Suggested by _____V_____ & Straker

Kill, Baby...Kill! (aka) Operazione paura (1966)
Quote:

Suggested by _____V_____ & Giganticface

The Fearless Vampire Killers (aka) Dance of the Vampires (1967)
Quote:

Suggested by _____V_____

Django Kill... If You Live, Shoot! (aka) Se sei vivo spara (1967)
Quote:

It's a horror/western hybrid that reflects the cultural changes of the time and a general shift towards cynicism in art: Hypocrisy in religion, gay cowboy gangs, suicide, and explicit violence (the scalping scene is epic). Plus, the avenging protagonist is the walking dead, and a generally a bad dude. An anti-hero. - Giganticface

_____V_____ 09-02-2013 11:23 AM

Hour of the Wolf (aka) Vargtimmen (1968)
Quote:

Suggested by _____V_____

Straw Dogs (1971)
Quote:

Understanding that it's a difficult film to categorize, and I've already made my case for why it should be considered, I believe it's not only an important influence in the history of horror, but also a damn good horror movie.

For those that are still not convinced it should be a candidate, do a Google search for "straw dogs 1971 horror." The slew of horror web sites that have reviewed it is never-ending, and it's almost universally praised by those reviewers.

As for its importance in the history of horror film, two words: home invasion. You can't review movies like The Strangers or Ils without consciously or subconsciously comparing it to Straw Dogs. And most likely, Straw Dogs will still win. Besides claiming the fame of launching a horror subgenre, it also played a large part in upping the level of acceptable violence in film, especially horror films. Of course, it was not acceptable at the time, as it received an X rating and was later subject to a video release ban.

Judging the movie purely on its horror elements -- not just its influence on the genre -- there's plenty to draw from. ***SPOILERS*** The town simpleton accidentally killing a local girl is a chapter straight from Mary Shelley. The scene where the giant bear trap is painstakingly set, then hoisted as a centerpiece in the living room is a foreshadowing of the unthinkable release of the trap, which of course does occur in the final scene. I actually recoiled when the wife found the family cat hanging dead in the bedroom closet. When an intruder's hands were nailed to a window sill, leaving his throat inches away from being slit with the broken glass, I was reminded of a trap in a Saw movie. And more than anything else, the idea that regular, good ole' kids from town, working on your roof, drinking milk from your kitchen, and socializing with your wife, could at some point become your very worst nightmare -- this is the reason I lock my door at night. To disqualify this film as just a "thriller" would be a cop out. There's nothing thrilling about your wife being raped in your own living room. And then again by the next guy.

With great acting and character development, a constant state of tension, and two of the most memorably horrific scenes in history, Straw Dogs deserves a spot in HDC's 100 Years of Horror. - Giganticface

A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Quote:

I'm almost inclined to retract my suggestion to add it because it is so debatable. It's clearly not a horror genre movie, the cheery British tone plays more like Terry Gilliam than any horror movie, and a good portion of the film (the middle, prison portion) has no relationship to horror at all.

However, if these lists are about the most important movies in horror history (as opposed to the best horror movies in horror history), it would be a shame not to recognize it. The new level of on-screen violence, the trademarked and stylized predatorial antagonist, the themes of home invasion and physical and psychological torture, the creepy music and visuals, employing metal tools as torture instruments on the eyeballs, revenge torture, the fact that now when I hear "Singin' in the Rain" or Beethoven's 9th, I think of brutal violence and rape -- all of these are significant contributions to the horror genre, not sci-fi, which is the genre the movie is more likely to be classified as. - Giganticface

Godzilla vs the Smog Monster (aka) Gojira tai Hedorâ (1971)
Quote:

A fantastic, innovative and scary film. It's psychedelic, they included animated sequences, amazing set and colors, use of jazz and acid rock, where they mix jazz in with the spoken parts, including rather bizarre things, like the eggs of Monster. It's the first film to attack the issue of pollution, at the same time it's a metaphor for the evil/neglect of mankind.

The horror scenes include a coastal giant sludge tadpole menacing a child's father, and then the child slicing it with his knife. In a nightclub, slug from monster pours down the steps, like the blob (the ending of the scene with the slug covered cat meowing is classic!). The Smog Monster flies over a children camp exercising, releases it's smog on them, and they're left as smoking skeletons (child's film?). The "flower children" teens are partying at night when a GIGANTIC Hedora walks up, even towering over Godzilla (genius). A true period piece.

If you haven't seen Godzilla Vs The Smog Monster, you are missing an artistic film treat! A truly special film. - Sculpt

Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971)
Quote:

Suggested by _____V_____

A Warning to the Curious (1972, TV)
Quote:

M.R James Ghost story from the BBC.... On first look you might think this out of place in a 70s list stocked full of real classics of modern horror, but its exactly why it made my list. It is such a simple but effective ghost story and a beautiful adaptation with a strong lead performance from Peter Vaughn. This adaptation is all about atmosphere and storytelling, which is what horror is all about. Really worth a watch for those that haven't seen it, the sort of horror that should be watched on a dark, stormy night with the lights low. - Straker

The Other (1972)
Quote:

Suggested by _____V_____

The Legend of Hell House (1973)
Quote:

Suggested by _____V_____, Sculpt & metternich1815

Magic (1978)

Quote:

Fascinating, and unusually scary film about a ventriloquist who can't put his dummy down, even for 20 secs... he's insane! Anthony Hopkins does an incredible job of acting and ventriloquy. - Sculpt

Nosferatu the Vampyre (aka) Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht (1979)
Quote:

Suggested by _____V_____ & metternich1815

Cat People (1982)
Quote:

This is just a brilliant film with mind-blowing imagery, stunning art direction, stellar performances and a knockout soundtrack. - neverending

Christine (1983)
Quote:

Very sharp and slick horror movie by John Carpenter! - Sculpt