Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Horror Filmmakers (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Got filmmaking questions? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62433)

Mr. Dark 01-16-2013 06:20 PM

Got filmmaking questions?

Hi indies,

Recently we had our first showing on our feature length indie film Night Things. This was shot on Super 16mm film for less money than The Blair Witch Project.

When I was making it I found it really hard to find answers to all the millions of questions I had on how I could make my own movie. So I just thought I would start this thread to offer any answers I could on the experience, and how we made a good movie happen for so cheap (I'll give you a hint, we mostly paid for it in blood).

So any aspiring filmmakers, ask away!

P.S. Before you ask, no we don't have distribution yet :) But you can ask about our experience with that process as well.

P.P.S. Oh, and you can see a trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVHee1F6ISs

Fearonsarms 01-17-2013 12:55 PM

Do you mind me asking what was the problem you've had with distribution?

Mr. Dark 01-17-2013 03:34 PM

distribution

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearonsarms (Post 943723)
Do you mind me asking what was the problem you've had with distribution?

Couple things. First is that 90% of the distributors you find on various lists are out of business before their first year, so it is hard to find the active ones. Seems like they all go into business thinking that there are like a million Paranormal Activities out there that for some reason just aren't picked up.

But perhaps a larger reason was because we shot on film right before it got really cheap to shoot in HD. So once upon a time it wouldn't have mattered much, but now most distributors won't take SD because things like Netflix streaming and Hulu won't take it. So whatever you shoot on, make sure you have an HD rendering for distributors. We're looking to get it reconverted right now, but that is an expensive process that would also involve re-editing.

Just bad luck on our timing, if we had shot 6 months later we probably would have shot on HD instead of Super 16.

Fearonsarms 01-18-2013 02:31 PM

Fascinating-I knew the industry was trying to force HD onto us but I didn't know they were going to these extremes. Sad that distributors are forcing film-makers to go through such an expensive and (in my opinion) unnecessary process.

Mr. Dark 01-18-2013 03:17 PM

Hd

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearonsarms (Post 943760)
Fascinating-I knew the industry was trying to force HD onto us but I didn't know they were going to these extremes. Sad that distributors are forcing film-makers to go through such an expensive and (in my opinion) unnecessary process.

Yeah expensive is right. It involves having the lab re-transfer the film to digital, and then re-editing the whole thing. It's kind of a death sentence.

And really, for what? I mean our movie is good because of plot and dialogue and sound design. It's not good because of 10 million dollar computer graphics, it really doesn't look any better in HD. And that same thing goes for about 95% of films out there.

mbay2008 02-13-2013 02:00 PM

What type of camera was this shot on? How much did it cost? I'm a film student looking do a mockumentry/pov/found footage horror film. Yes I know this sub genre has been done way to much but I like it. I want the Blair witch feel to the film. I have a great subject that would make a great documentary by it's itself but I want to turn it into a horror film. I loved the Blair Witch Project and to try create something with little to no money. I have Adobe CS 6 master collection with all the editing programs plus others. I even have a great idea for a production company. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Mr. Dark 02-13-2013 06:56 PM

indie films

I can't remember the camera name, but it was an old Russian Super -16mm model. Not the kind of thing you would want for what you are doing. "Found footage" is going to either be on digital or sometime like old 8mm. Or a mix (which I think Blair Witch did). Adobe CS6 is plenty good for editing. My one tip here is shoot on HD, because Video on Demand services like Netflix these days require HD. If you want to go cheap, this is the right kind of movie for it, and HD cameras are cheap these days.

As far as the sub genre being played out, well some might say that no genre is played out as long as someone can make a great movie in it. But the downside is that you will be accused of copying, so make sure you have some really fresh things to throw in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbay2008 (Post 945023)
What type of camera was this shot on? How much did it cost? I'm a film student looking do a mockumentry/pov/found footage horror film. Yes I know this sub genre has been done way to much but I like it. I want the Blair witch feel to the film. I have a great subject that would make a great documentary by it's itself but I want to turn it into a horror film. I loved the Blair Witch Project and to try create something with little to no money. I have Adobe CS 6 master collection with all the editing programs plus others. I even have a great idea for a production company. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

mbay2008 02-13-2013 07:20 PM

Any recommendations for camera purchase around the $200 mark?

Straker 02-13-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbay2008 (Post 945043)
Any recommendations for camera purchase around the $200 mark?

Most of the top brands make similar stat cams around that price, just get the best you can afford, you arent gonna get anything amazing in that budget. Panasonic do some decent low budget cameras and the canon legria range isnt too bad (might have a different name in the states). I'd probably go refurbished or second hand though. Either way you are gonna have problems filming in low light so bare that in mind whatever you buy. We have a few amaetuer film makers knocking around the forum so they might be able to give you some better/ more specific advice. :cool:

mbay2008 02-13-2013 10:16 PM

Never thought about refurbished cameras. I'm gonna have to take a look into those.