Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Latest Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Favorite Horror Movie Remake (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62723)

metternich1815 03-25-2013 04:24 PM

Favorite Horror Movie Remake

What is your favorite horror movie remake?

metternich1815 03-25-2013 04:37 PM

My favorite horror movie remake is John Carpenter's The Thing (1982). The film is brilliantly directed by John Carpenter. It is an extremely dark, scary atmosphere. Additionally, it is (intentionally or unintentionally) a comment on both the Cold War and AIDS. The acting and character development is really high-quality (despite the large number of characters involved). The story is an interesting science fiction story based on the book "Who Goes There?." It is especially interesting to see how the characters who had so trusted each other slowly descend into paranoia and fear. Of course, one must mention the special effects, which were definitely ahead of their time. The score, despite not being composed by Carpenter, is quite eerie and match the film quite well. Honestly, everything about this film is brilliant, it is definitely a major improvement on The Thing from Another World (1951), which is also a great movie. Ultimately, The Thing (1982) is my favorite horror movie remake, due to the reasons described above.

Kandarian Demon 03-25-2013 08:00 PM

I think it's probably "House on Haunted Hill". I absolutely love Vincent Price, and in some ways I enjoy the original, but scary or even just a tiny little spooky? Not at all!

With the remake, they somehow found the right balance between actually improving the story, but at the same time paying tribute to the original. And Geoffrey Rush was awesome as the Vincent Price-like character.

neverending 03-25-2013 08:25 PM

My favorite remake:

Souther 03-28-2013 12:03 PM

I haven't seen the thing's remake but my favorite horror movie remake is Halloween. He is for me so much better than the carpenter's movie. The second part of film is good but the first is even better. I like Michael Myers as child. He is more original than others Halloween. However, I don't like the second remake.

metternich1815 03-28-2013 12:26 PM

Personally, I liked where they were going with it, but it was poorly executed. My main criticism being that they failed to develop many of the characters (with notable exceptions being Michael Myers, Sam Loomis, and guard in the mental hospital). Additionally, I think that the back-story of Michael Myers was interesting, but unnecessary. Part of what made the original Myers so great was the mystery behind his origins. Although, I suppose that is a fundamental disagreement, so if I did agree with the idea I would say it was one of the best executed parts of the movie (although, it was difficult to buy that that kid at the beginning being the menacing, evil character known as Michael Myers). Honestly, this is a major criticism of many of the slasher remakes (adding origins). I also thought that there was too much focus on the action (i.e. killing) and, as I mentioned, not enough on character development. In my opinion, the remake of Halloween did not even touch the original, which sparked a new age in horror movies: The slashers. In fact, virtually all of the slashers after it (the best example being Friday the 13th) were modeled after it. The original developed the characters amazingly well (with Laurie Strode and Sam Loomis being the most developed) and had an interesting story. The score and the direction were equally astounding. Ultimately, the remake of Halloween was okay, but not near as great as the original for the reasons I described. (By the way, you seriously need to see the Thing (1982) because it is considered by many to be one of the greatest horror movies of all time and I personally have seen it hundreds of times)

Souther 03-28-2013 01:10 PM

In fact, it is the remake of "Thing" I haven't seen. The thing (1982), I know. I saw The thing at least 5 times. I like The thing from John Carpenter. However, I don't like Halloween (1978) from John Carpenter. For me, that movie has aged. He is boring. It is my view (opinion). I'm ok, characters are developed. And this is the problem. Characters speak too. And now, I'm used to watch movies with a lot of murders but not only. I like to be inside characters and look them die gradually. I want to feel the heart of the action. I prefer movies like "Martyrs" or "Megan is missing". I love their atmosphere.

metternich1815 03-28-2013 01:30 PM

I was referring to The Thing from 1982, which was a remake of The Thing From Another World (1951), which I stated. Personally, I think the original Halloween has held up remarkably well. For the reasons I stated in my previous post. I respect your opinion, but I just strongly disagree with it because I think Carpenter is a much better director than Rob Zombie. I belive what made the original so great was that they spent a great deal of time developing the characters. I understand that modern audiences consider that boring, but I think more movies should do that.

Bob Gray 03-28-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metternich1815 (Post 947499)
Personally, I liked where they were going with it, but it was poorly executed. My main criticism being that they failed to develop many of the characters (with notable exceptions being Michael Myers, Sam Loomis, and guard in the mental hospital). Additionally, I think that the back-story of Michael Myers was interesting, but unnecessary. Part of what made the original Myers so great was the mystery behind his origins. Although, I suppose that is a fundamental disagreement, so if I did agree with the idea I would say it was one of the best executed parts of the movie (although, it was difficult to buy that that kid at the beginning being the menacing, evil character known as Michael Myers). Honestly, this is a major criticism of many of the slasher remakes (adding origins). I also thought that there was too much focus on the action (i.e. killing) and, as I mentioned, not enough on character development. In my opinion, the remake of Halloween did not even touch the original, which sparked a new age in horror movies: The slashers. In fact, virtually all of the slashers after it (the best example being Friday the 13th) were modeled after it. The original developed the characters amazingly well (with Laurie Strode and Sam Loomis being the most developed) and had an interesting story. The score and the direction were equally astounding. Ultimately, the remake of Halloween was okay, but not near as great as the original for the reasons I described. (By the way, you seriously need to see the Thing (1982) because it is considered by many to be one of the greatest horror movies of all time and I personally have seen it hundreds of times)

Halloween is personally one of my favorites but it was not the first of the slashers, that title goes to Black Christmas. Of course that could be argued as well as there were some forerunners in Thirteen Women, Peeping Tom, Psycho, Dementia 13, Blood Feast, and many of the Italian Giallo films. Silent Night, Bloody Night and Savage Weekend also came before Halloween. What Halloween had over these others was the huge box office success which is the reason that so many slasher films were made.

Bob Gray 03-28-2013 01:40 PM

My vote goes to David Cronenberg's The Fly.

metternich1815 03-28-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Gray (Post 947508)
Halloween is personally one of my favorites but it was not the first of the slashers, that title goes to Black Christmas. Of course that could be argued as well as there were some forerunners in Thirteen Women, Peeping Tom, Psycho, Dementia 13, Blood Feast, and many of the Italian Giallo films. Silent Night, Bloody Night and Savage Weekend also came before Halloween. What Halloween had over these others was the huge box office success which is the reason that so many slasher films were made.

I never said that Halloween (1978) was the first slasher, merely the one that sparked the Slasher Age. Additionally, many later slashers were specifically modeled after Halloween (1978) because of its tremendous commercial success. Traditionally, Black Christmas (1974) is regarded as the first slasher, although films such as Psycho (1960) and Peeping Tom (1960) had tremendous influence on the genre. Bloodfeast (1963) raised the amount of gore that was tolerable in a film, along with such films as The Night of the Living Dead (1968) (i'm sure that giallo films had a simliar effect). Silent Night, Bloody Night might have been a slasher, though not particularly influential. Why Halloween (1978) was the one that sparked it is a matter of debate.

metternich1815 03-28-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Gray (Post 947509)
My vote goes to David Cronenberg's The Fly.

That was a really good remake, definitely high on my list. I really enjoy Cronenberg's work, in general.

Bob Gray 03-28-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metternich1815 (Post 947510)
I never said that Halloween (1978) was the first slasher, merely the one that sparked the Slasher Age. Additionally, many later slashers were specifically modeled after Halloween (1978) because of its tremendous commercial success. Traditionally, Black Christmas (1974) is regarded as the first slasher, although films such as Psycho (1960) and Peeping Tom (1960) had tremendous influence on the genre. Bloodfeast (1963) raised the amount of gore that was tolerable in a film, along with such films as The Night of the Living Dead (1968) (i'm sure that giallo films had a simliar effect). Silent Night, Bloody Night might have been a slasher, though not particularly influential. Why Halloween (1978) was the one that sparked it is a matter of debate.

I didn't say you did, lol, I never even implied it. I was just giving a little horror history is all.

metternich1815 03-28-2013 02:08 PM

Sorry, I must have misinterpreted your statement.

The Villain 03-28-2013 02:19 PM

I hate remakes but i guess i would have to say The Crazies. I hated the original and actually really liked the remake

Despare 03-28-2013 06:26 PM

Couldn't pick my favorite between The Fly and The Thing but they're the top two, I also dug the Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Night of the Living Dead (Savini's), and The Blob remakes.

newb 03-28-2013 06:58 PM

Most of the "remakes" have been more re-imaginings.......The Thing and The Fly ...two mentioned...both great re-imaginings ...the only true "remake" I can think of is the 1998 Gus Van Sant remake of Psycho....and that kinda sucked.

metternich1815 03-28-2013 07:11 PM

I consider reimaginings to be a type of remake. These are the four types of remakes: reimaginings (such as The Thing, Dawn of the Dead, and Thirteen Ghosts remakes), modernization (such as Black Christmas, The Fog, and Psycho remakes), encapsulations (such as Friday the 13th, Halloween, and A Nightmare on Elm Street remakes), and foreign horror for U.S. audiences (such as The Ring and the Grudge). My source is the book Horror Movie Freak. Even if you don't agree with the book, I think these are good classifications for horror movie remakes. As for the Psycho remake, it was perhaps the worst horror movie remake in horror movie history.

newb 03-28-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metternich1815 (Post 947530)
I consider reimaginings to be a type of remake. These are the four types of remakes: reimaginings (such as The Thing, Dawn of the Dead, and Thirteen Ghosts remakes), modernization (such as Black Christmas, The Fog, and Psycho remakes), encapsulations (such as Friday the 13th, Halloween, and A Nightmare on Elm Street remakes), and foreign horror for U.S. audiences (such as The Ring and the Grudge). My source is the book Horror Movie Freak. Even if you don't agree with the book, I think these are good classifications for horror movie remakes. As for the Psycho remake, it was perhaps the worst horror movie remake in horror movie history.

while I agree the Psycho remake was pretty bad....The Fog re-whatever was terrible

metternich1815 03-28-2013 07:22 PM

I haven't seen it yet, but when (if) I do I might agree from just the little I have seen. Plus, the original Fog movie was brilliant. But, the Psycho remake will always be very high on my hate list of horror movie remakes.

newb 03-28-2013 07:29 PM

And the "foreign horror for U.S. audiences" is usually not up to par with the original ....case in point "The Vanishing"

although I didn't hate "The Grudge" or "Let Me In"

metternich1815 03-28-2013 07:31 PM

The Grudge was pretty good. I also greatly enjoyed The Ring (2002), despite not seeing Ringu (1998).

horrorfangirl66 03-29-2013 11:02 AM

I think The Crazies(2010) and The Thing(1982) were better than their predecessors.

Some other good remakes not surpassing the originals are TCM (2003), The Omen(2006), and Fright Night (2011).

The Villain 03-29-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horrorfangirl66 (Post 947588)
I think The Crazies(2010) and The Thing(1982) were better than their predecessors.

Some other good remakes not surpassing the originals are TCM (2003), The Omen(2006), and Fright Night (2011).

I agree with you on The Crazies (Like i said before) but The Thing From Another World is a classic and i wouldn't say that the remake was better. However the remake was also fantastic. When it comes to those two, i'm not sure which i like better. I like them both in different ways.

metternich1815 03-29-2013 06:06 PM

I also greatly enjoyed Thirteen Ghosts (2001). I was surprised by how many people hated that movie because I acctually thought the story and acting were great. Additionally, I thought the special effects were brilliant. Despite all the good aspects of the film, it only holds like a %12 apporoval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I find that highly unusual. I realize the original was a great film by William Castle, but the remake was still really high-quality in my opinion (despite negative reaction).

roshiq 03-30-2013 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverending (Post 947366)
My favorite remake:

ROFL! Who dares to solve this fill in the blank?:D

roshiq 03-30-2013 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Despare (Post 947525)
Couldn't pick my favorite between The Fly and The Thing but they're the top two, I also dug the Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Night of the Living Dead (Savini's), and The Blob remakes.

Ditto, loved them all too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by metternich1815 (Post 947530)

That's pretty fine classification. I guess, my favorite TCM (2003) may fall into either 're-imagining' or 'encapsulation' category.

Btw, the recent re-imagining of Mother's Day also wasn't bad.

The Villain 03-30-2013 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metternich1815 (Post 947610)
I also greatly enjoyed Thirteen Ghosts (2001). I was surprised by how many people hated that movie because I acctually thought the story and acting were great. Additionally, I thought the special effects were brilliant. Despite all the good aspects of the film, it only holds like a %12 apporoval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I find that highly unusual. I realize the original was a great film by William Castle, but the remake was still really high-quality in my opinion (despite negative reaction).

My problem with that movie was it could've been a lot better, instead it turned out kinda lame.

horrorfangirl66 03-30-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metternich1815 (Post 947610)

I agree with you! I really liked this film too. I thought the monsters were creepy and the effects were great.

newb 03-30-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roshiq (Post 947623)
ROFL! Who dares to solve this fill in the blank?:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psa0de72f2.jpg

Fulg HoarAR 03-30-2013 10:04 PM

As far as remakes go I liked Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Dawn of the Dead (although I dont necessarily consider them better than the originals)

AS far as Halloween, I really didnt like the remake, Rob Zombie has this way that to me just seems desperate and clumsy, basically just trying too hard to be shocking and its palpable.

BUT to each their own, I'm definitely biased as the original Halloween to me is one the greatest ones ever made, So someone remaking it to me would be like if someone remade The Godfather or Casablanca or something.

Kandarian Demon 03-31-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fulg HoarAR (Post 947711)
As far as remakes go I liked Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Dawn of the Dead (although I dont necessarily consider them better than the originals).

Ohh, I forgot that the 70s version of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" is a remake... and a very good one!

Fulg HoarAR 03-31-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kandarian Demon (Post 947726)
Ohh, I forgot that the 70s version of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" is a remake... and a very good one!

haha yeah, the original is one of those great old 50's movies, I suppose now its viewed as a 'political allegory' , Me personally I just think the 50's looked hilarious

neverending 03-31-2013 10:50 PM

Personally, I just think the 80s looked hilarious.

Fulg HoarAR 04-01-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverending (Post 947783)

HAHAHA absolutely

metternich1815 04-02-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverending (Post 947783)

I'm just curious, what did you mean by this statement?

The Horror fan 04-03-2013 01:29 AM

I got few like

The Thing (1982)
Night of the Living dead (1990)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
My Bloody Valentine (2009) First 3D movie Ever
Night of the Demons (2009) (Not seen the old one)
Mirrors (2008)
Night watch (1997) Not see old one yet
Piranha (2010)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
The Hills have eyes (2006)
The Last House on the Left (2009) there also movie called Chaos (2005) which is actually the first remake The Last house of the left (Not seen that yet)
Halloween(2007) Thir13en Ghosts (2001)
The Shining
The Uninvited (2009)
Mother's Day (2010)

Movies I need give re-watch
The Fly
The Crazies (2010)
The Haunting (1999)
Cat People (1982)
The Hitcher (2007)
Carrie
The Invisible (2007)

House on Haunted Hill (199

Jason is my Homeboy 04-03-2013 06:04 PM

I love the remake of Halloween. I like how it goes more in depth into Michael's past. I also liked the remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street, there was one part in it where I was laughing so hard at something Freddy had said, I replayed it like five times.

My least favorite is the remake of Friday the Thirteenth. It was just... weird.. And it didn't seem very much like Jason to me. Like abducting someone who he thinks looks like his mom and keeping her in some cave. I just thought that didn't seem like something he would do. It was out of character to me.

phantomstranger 04-03-2013 06:26 PM

I forgot about the 1990 version of "Night Of The Living Dead". I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The original is still the best, but this was quite good.

GrimlyFiendish 04-24-2013 09:03 AM

I absolutely love both of Rob Zombie's Halloween films. I'm a huge fan of his films anyway but the Halloween films really did it for me. I think you can tell he's a huge horror buff from watching his movies which I love.

One of my favourite remakes is the 'Night of the Living Dead' remake as mentioned above. It's so bad it's good. :)