Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Last Seen pre-1970 Classic/Vintage Horror Movie? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18488)

Sculpt 07-19-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FryeDwight (Post 1038890)
IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946). And It's a Wonderful Film. Hard to believe this was sort of a box office dud in its day and really didn't pick up steam until its copyright expired and TV stations began showing it around Xmas. While it's been derided as "Corny", think it's anything but. There is a Happy ending, but the hell our protagonist goes through makes it a welcome one. I really like Jimmy Stewart and don't think he was ever better than as George Bailey, the decent guy who seems to catch more unlucky breaks than anything else; the anguished desperation as he clutches his youngest son gives me goosebumps.
Excellent cast as well, with Lionel Barrymore (despicible), Samuel S Hinds (THE RAVEN, MAN MADE MONSTER), Gloria Grahame (THE BIG HEAT, BLOOD AND LACE), Ward Bond and (especially) Donna Reed shining. *****

Great movie of an array of raw emotion and moral conundrums and self sacrifice. Agreed, the light hearted and funny moments are balanced well with dark and serious moments. One of the best films ever.

FryeDwight 07-31-2019 01:49 AM

BLOOD OF THE VAMPIRE. (1958). Similar in tone to a Hammer film, especially with a Jimmy Sangster script , Barbara Shelly performance and how Donald Wolffit reminds one of Christopher Lee. Sadly, found this pedestrian in Third/Fourth grade on CREATURE FEATURE and even more so on last viewing. OK , but not much more than that. **

Sculpt 08-06-2019 08:16 PM

I Wake Up Screaming (1941)
8/10

Victor Mature plays Frankie, a promoter, who helps hash-slinging Vicky (Carole Landis) brush elbows with high-society and media moguls. After Vicky announces she's going to Hollywood, and is murdered, Vicky's skeptical sister Jill (Betty Grable) begins a relationship with Frankie. Meanwhile an obsessed cop (Laird Cregar) tries to nail Frankie as the murderer.

The characters are enjoyable, and there's a light gayety that brightens the underlying dark film noir subject matter. The direction has some nice use of shadows and intriguing shot choices, but the film has a odd penchants for playing Somewhere Over the Rainbow at ill-fitting moments.

FryeDwight 08-15-2019 11:17 PM

THE HELLFIRE CLUB (1961). On the same disc as BLOOD OF THE VAMPIRE with another Jimmy Sangster script. Young boy escapes tumultuous family home and tries to get his rightful title from sleazy cousin who nabbed it. Pretty good swashbuckling effort is entertaining and as always., nice to see Peter Cushing. ***

DeadbeatAtDawn 08-21-2019 03:47 PM

Rosemary's Baby, 1968. 9/10

Director: Roman Polanski

Thumb resize.

hammerfan 08-22-2019 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadbeatAtDawn (Post 1039326)
Rosemary's Baby, 1968. 9/10

Director: Roman Polanski

Thumb resize.

My second favorite Polanski film

Sculpt 08-22-2019 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerfan (Post 1039331)
My second favorite Polanski film

Otay, so what's your first?

I'll make three guesses: The Tenant, Repulsion and The Pianist. I wouldn't peg you as a Chinatown fan.

hammerfan 08-23-2019 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1039337)
Otay, so what's your first?

I'll make three guesses: The Tenant, Repulsion and The Pianist. I wouldn't peg you as a Chinatown fan.

The Fearless Vampire Killers ::wink::

Sculpt 08-24-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerfan (Post 1039343)
The Fearless Vampire Killers ::wink::

Yeah, I was thinking that one too, cause you are a Hammerfan. ::big grin:: But I thought maybe it was too silly.

hammerfan 08-26-2019 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1039349)
Yeah, I was thinking that one too, cause you are a Hammerfan. ::big grin:: But I thought maybe it was too silly.

You would think, but, I love it