Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Horror Sequels Better Than The Original (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61308)

The Villain 04-08-2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 967281)
Actually, Kanda isn't a bro, she's a sis.

Oops sorry Kandarian, i didn't know that.

Quote:

It's not a wrong opinion, ShadyJ, just a different one. HDC members try to be very respectful of each other, especially in the area of divergent opinions. If everyone agreed, what would be the point in posting at all?

Totally agree. No one here should ever make someone feel like they're opinion is wrong or stupid. You have every right to like what you want just as we have every right to disagree respectfully.

Baron Von Marlon 04-08-2014 09:15 PM

It's nice to see there are still places online where people treat eachother with respect.
On most movie sites I visit people seem to have a real hard time understanding that there are people with a different taste in movies than themselves.
Also applies to music.
How does that saying go? One man's trash is another man's treasure?

Sculpt 04-09-2014 11:53 AM

There aren't many sequels I've seen that I liked better than the original.

The Road Warrior (mad max 2)
Spiderman 2
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
Evil Dead 2
Last Crusade>Temple
Goldfinger>Russia/Dr No

I liked Alien, Predator, Night of the Living Dead, Frankenstein, Return of the Living Dead and Terminator either better or about as much as the sequels. There's quite a few others have listed that I haven't seen.

Kandarian Demon 04-09-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Hi Kanda! I just want to make sure... are you talking about TCM2 1986, right?

Yes, that's the one.

Btw I think that first impressions has a LOT to do with how we feel about a movie, even when we re-watch it years later. I'm just about 37, so a bit too young to have seen TCM when it was released - I can easily imagine that it MUST have been very disturbing then, if I compare it to other movies from that time. In the same way - TCM 2 was one of the first horror movies I saw after my parents stopped censoring what I could or couldn't watch, and I'm sure that influenced my opinion too.

Quote:

I thought TCSM1 displayed the villains as real people who ate people. They were deranged in a simple immature way, but they didn't physically torture people. In TCM2, it seemed like the film was glorifying them, they seemed more cartoonish, smarter, witty, like they wanted to torture, and unbelievable.

The thing is that as cartoonish as they were, I found especially the older brother to be much creepier. The other brothers, you'd know on sight to stay away from them, and they were a bit limited by their low intelligence... but the older one? He was the one who could blend in with the rest of us, but he was probably much more disturbed than his brothers combined. That's something that always gets to me in a horror movie. Leatherface is a scary character too, but you wouldn't accidentally invite him home for a cup of tea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Villain (Post 967284)
Oops sorry Kandarian, i didn't know that.

Don't worry about it, I've been called much worse ::big grin::

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 967326)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

I very much agree with this one, which is my all time favourite Star Trek... anything. Khan happens to be one of my all time favourite villains, too... Ricardo Montalban did an amazing job playing that character.

By the way... another sequel I think is better than the original, and this one might raise a few eyebrows too:

Hellraiser II

I love the first one too - but the second one just creeped me out so much more (especially Dr. Channard!), and visually I think it's almost a little work of art. I absolutely loved the first 4 movies, but after that... probably the franchise with the worst sequels ever.

xX_StarChild_Xx 04-09-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kandarian Demon (Post 967332)

Hellraiser II

So, I am not the only one. :) This movie gave me nightmares, and I believe it is the Hellraiser film that most fully embodied the idea behind the films. The surrealist imagry, gonzo violence, and Sadomasachistic tone....a little gift for the deranged in all of us.

Kandarian Demon 04-09-2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xX_StarChild_Xx (Post 967346)
So, I am not the only one. :) This movie gave me nightmares, and I believe it is the Hellraiser film that most fully embodied the idea behind the films. The surrealist imagry, gonzo violence, and Sadomasachistic tone....a little gift for the deranged in all of us.

Yep... and I also think it's the one where they used the Pinhead character most effectively.

That scene with the guy who is trying to cut out the maggots from his body... it's one of the few scenes from a horror movie that I just won't ever "get used to". And like I mentioned earlier, Dr. Channard... there's just something incredibly disturbing about him, and for some reason, that sound he makes really gives me the creeps ::big grin::

Jigsaw Killer 04-16-2014 09:04 PM

I must chime in and say nobody is wrong for having a controversial opinion like TCM2 being better than the first, it's all a matter of personal taste and preference. Heck, I happen to prefer TCM3 to the original myself as well as the 2003 remake and it's prequel, though with that said I respect the original for it's legacy and influence.

HorrorHound9 05-04-2014 12:41 AM

Has to be I Spit On Your Grave

Yes, it was a long time between films, thus more of a reason why was one was in the "so bad its (almost) good variety and another in the "this totally rocks my world" for the revenge horror sub-genre.

haven't seen the remake? Here's some pics, etc

http://wickedhorror.com/horror-revie...-sexy-revenge/

Ferox13 05-04-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer (Post 967572)
I must chime in and say nobody is wrong for having a controversial opinion like TCM2 being better than the first, it's all a matter of personal taste and preference. Heck, I happen to prefer TCM3 to the original myself as well as the 2003 remake and it's prequel, though with that said I respect the original for it's legacy and influence.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bP6k59dMHB...ps9177ab07.png

Jigsaw Killer 05-05-2014 08:43 PM

It's all purely personal taste...