Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Books & Fiction Writing (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What book u reading at the moment? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19622)

hammerfan 07-13-2006 09:07 AM

The Cat Who Turned On and Off by Lilian Jackson Braun

I've recently discovered these books - I'm completely hooked on them!

urgeok 07-13-2006 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hammerfan
The Cat Who Turned On and Off by Lilian Jackson Braun

I've recently discovered these books - I'm completely hooked on them!

oh shit ... i got rid of a bunch of these in the 1st batch i took in for credit ..

there are at least 4 mystery authors that feature cats in the titles of their books now ... thats a weird sub genre.

Angra 07-14-2006 06:58 AM

"The Kite Runner"

hammerfan 07-14-2006 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by urgeok
oh shit ... i got rid of a bunch of these in the 1st batch i took in for credit ..

there are at least 4 mystery authors that feature cats in the titles of their books now ... thats a weird sub genre.

I never considered that you might have them in your collection. Oh well, my loss!

Who are the other authors? These books actually have the cats in their stories, they're two of the main characters. Well, obviously you know that since you had the books, duh! :p

joshaube 07-14-2006 07:47 AM

The Whalestoe Letters;
Interesting, and I liked it. It was cool how through the letters of a single woman, we can establish the characters of three other people effectively.

And since it was so short, I read NOES: Suffer the Children alongside of it. Got about half-way through. Might keep reading, might not. It's not that well written, or special, but I like the transitions from one character to another during the various dream sequences. It seems better then the movie sequels, at least.

Now I'm going to churn through House of Leaves and Glamorama - both books I am very eager to read.

Anyone read House of Leaves? Looks amazingly thought-out and deep.

I also have a small SK collection, the only ones I'm interested in are the Dark Tower series. I have the first two, worth a read?

urgeok 07-14-2006 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by hammerfan
I never considered that you might have them in your collection. Oh well, my loss!

Who are the other authors? These books actually have the cats in their stories, they're two of the main characters. Well, obviously you know that since you had the books, duh! :p

i never read them ! just bought them to sell .. cant remember the other authors now .. shouldnt be too hard to find though by googling mystery and cat ..

female mystery authors love gimmicks ..

there's another one who names all of the books after pubs, and another (sue grafton) who uses a letter of the alphabet ..

there's a lot more too .. everyone looking for a niche market .

Miss Olivia 07-14-2006 10:32 AM

You know, The Dark Tower series was weird, and not what I expected at all, but I would say they're worth checking out because the last thing they are is predictable. Some of the imagery was pretty powerful.

scouse mac 07-14-2006 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Miss Olivia
You know, The Dark Tower series was weird, and not what I expected at all, but I would say they're worth checking out because the last thing they are is predictable. Some of the imagery was pretty powerful.
Agree with that. No scene logically leads onto the next but somehow its seems to work.

Interesting characters, even if they do accept the fucked up nature of things a little too readily.

Miss Olivia 07-15-2006 11:00 AM

Yeah, the surrealism is pretty strong, kind of like a weird dream that you had once. What you do in dreams often doesn't make sense either, but you can never seem to stop yourself.

Jacob Singer 07-15-2006 11:36 AM

Good omens by T. Pratchett and N. Gaiman