Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Comics (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   number one (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23246)

waffle 07-14-2006 02:43 PM

number one

If you *had to* what would be your number one comic book of all time? Tough choice....

mothermold 07-15-2006 10:57 PM

Re: number one

Quote:

Originally posted by waffle
If you *had to* what would be your number one comic book of all time? Tough choice....
Comic title or single book?If you mean title then most anything by Alan Moore......to pick a single book though is nearly impossible because your only getting a small part of the story.

waffle 07-16-2006 07:28 AM

Good point. er... how about single story that can be collated as a TBP - and let's include graphic novels in that as well.

mothermold 07-16-2006 09:18 PM

Alan Moore-From Hell
The Watchmen
V For Vendetta
The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol.1 and 2

Jim O'Barr-The Crow

Frank Miller-Batman:Year One
(all)Sin City

Dan Brereton-The Nocturnals:Black Planet

Neil Gaiman-Sandman(all)

Robert Kirkman-The Walking Dead TPB's 1-4

That's all for now.

waffle 07-18-2006 03:44 AM

that's not one!

After much thinking and re-reading, I think I'll have to plump for Maus. It just blew me away and affected me like nothing else.

BidonComics 07-20-2006 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mothermold
Alan Moore-From Hell
The Watchmen
V For Vendetta
The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol.1 and 2

Jim O'Barr-The Crow

Frank Miller-Batman:Year One
(all)Sin City

Dan Brereton-The Nocturnals:Black Planet

Neil Gaiman-Sandman(all)

Robert Kirkman-The Walking Dead TPB's 1-4

That's all for now.

A great list of books have read them all. This is my favorite, The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol.1 and 2. Could be though that I just reread vol 1 so its fresh in my mind.

Zero 07-20-2006 07:15 AM

maus was great. . . . as for me its a toss-up between Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns. Watchmen is more complex and worth repeat readings - plus way longer. . . but emotionally i found DKR more absorbing and affecting.

waffle 07-20-2006 11:56 AM

I have to make a confession.

I'm pretty new to the world of comic books, but have been voraciously devouring everything people pass my way, and since the beginning Watchmen and DKR have been mentioned over and over and over. So I read them.

And I wasn't blown away. Sorry.

I can see how they would have rocked everything at the time (like seeing Star Wars when it was first released) but now, like Star Wars, they're kinda, "Well, yeah, they're pretty good, I guess, but I've seen/read better."

Do you know what I mean? I hope this isn't heresy, but I just found them both a little bitty, jumpy, and not particularly cohesive as a whole. Although there were undoubted moments of genius in both.

The_Punisher 07-20-2006 12:55 PM

Preacher is pretty bad ass. Vertigo is a pretty decent label.

and obvioulsy, Steve Dillians and Garth Enniss' Welcome Back, Frank is by far the best Punisher work ever done.

a mccuaig 07-26-2006 08:07 PM

I agree, the preacher is the best graphic novels ever.
the punishers cool
the goon is ultimately the funniest