Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Compilations and Pastimes (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   The Official HDC Top 100. (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22953)

SteyrAUG 10-01-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverending (Post 905646)
It's just that 80% of your posts so far have been about how crappy our lists are. We get it.

That is not quite accurate.

I commented on three lists, two of which I was pretty critical of. More importantly, it's a movie forum. Are we not supposed to discuss movies and by extension the merits of any "top films" list? Is this some kind of sensitive topic that new guys aren't allowed to comment on?

Is my being dismissive of many of the choices on those lists any different from a member here being dismissive of a crappy film? And sorry if I'm not coming off like a cheerleader. I'm not one of those guys who feels compelled to post "neat film" on every topic.

Also I pretty much just got here, haven't had a lot of time to read much beyond the lists. They were the first interesting topics to me.

TheWickerFan 10-02-2011 03:19 AM

I think most of us love to debate films, but you're accusing the people who made the lists of being charlatans. We try to avoid hurling personal insults at each other and just discuss the pros and cons of the film itself.

SteyrAUG 10-02-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWickerFan (Post 905656)
I think most of us love to debate films, but you're accusing the people who made the lists of being charlatans. We try to avoid hurling personal insults at each other and just discuss the pros and cons of the film itself.

I don't think I called anyone anything. I did question the thoughtfulness of the list and the rankings.

If I made a Top 100 Best Movies Ever Made list and put it on what I believed was a serious forum and that list included the film Ishtar, I should expect people to regularly question my judgment and by extension the sophistication of the forum.

And that is the only thing I have done here. And it was a questioning of the wisdom of the lists and not any kind of harsh condemnations. I have not called anyone....anything. At worst all I have done is overestimate the seriousness of the list and forum.

TheWickerFan 10-02-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteyrAUG (Post 905706)
I don't think I called anyone anything. I did question the thoughtfulness of the list and the rankings.

If I made a Top 100 Best Movies Ever Made list and put it on what I believed was a serious forum and that list included the film Ishtar, I should expect people to regularly question my judgment and by extension the sophistication of the forum.

And that is the only thing I have done here. And it was a questioning of the wisdom of the lists and not any kind of harsh condemnations. I have not called anyone....anything. At worst all I have done is overestimate the seriousness of the list and forum.

I understand your point, but I think the people who did the list are going to get offended if you say they're not real horror fans.

SteyrAUG 10-02-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWickerFan (Post 905709)
I understand your point, but I think the people who did the list are going to get offended if you say they're not real horror fans.

Well I didn't say that either. Anyone can be a horror fan, I was a horror fan when I was 10. All I did was suggest by inference that the list was not IMO indicative of a thoughtful and researched horror fan. Perhaps that is the actual problem, that my expectations and assumptions need to be downgraded.

neverending 10-02-2011 07:57 PM

Well, after you edited your posts, no there are some things which you did say, which are now retracted.

SteyrAUG 10-02-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverending (Post 905770)
Well, after you edited your posts, no there are some things which you did say, which are now retracted.

Ummm no. I edited a few posts to add some things for clarification. I removed nothing.

Edited to ADD: I must say the ongoing mischaracterizations, accusations and distortions are starting to get a bit tiresome.

Pariah. 10-05-2011 06:32 AM

The one film that looked good and that I haden't seen on this list was DEMONS but I can't find a single copy of it on Ebay. There's a $68 poster for the film, but no film, there are sequels to the film, but still... no film.

Anyone have a link to a Magic Horror DVD website that will have everything I ever want to see ready for purchase? Or is this one of those things were I am going to have to keep searching and hope?

Straker 10-05-2011 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pariah. (Post 906006)
The one film that looked good and that I haden't seen on this list was DEMONS but I can't find a single copy of it on Ebay. There's a $68 poster for the film, but no film, there are sequels to the film, but still... no film.

Anyone have a link to a Magic Horror DVD website that will have everything I ever want to see ready for purchase? Or is this one of those things were I am going to have to keep searching and hope?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...eywords=demons

:cool:

William Seabrook 10-16-2011 12:55 AM

A few I wish had made it:

A Bucket of Blood (1959)
House of Usher (1960)
Spider Baby (1968)
Fright Night (1985)
The Monster Squad (1987)