Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Games (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Wii (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60887)

cheebacheeba 04-30-2012 01:34 AM

The Wii

Hey, so I own a PS3 and 360 already.
I've never really wanted to buy a wii, though the ability to access (some) old games and play them through the TV again is kind've cool, but it's never really been like, enough released to warrant a purchase.

Turns out I'm getting a free Wii and TV from my ISP though, so yeah.

I know very little about what Nintendo is drumming out these days, but I'm already intending to check out:
*Mad World
*New SMB
*No more Heroes
...and maybe one of the Monster Hunter ones.

Is there any other suggestions?
Not really after multi-platform titles.

Straker 04-30-2012 01:50 PM

Super Smash Bro. Brawl: One of the best fighting games on any platform.
Mario Kart: Great racing game.

Both of those really need to be played with other people to enjoy 'em though. Not so much fun playing alone....

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: Isnt bad, dont remember completing it but I know it lasted a good few hours.

Resident Evil 4: If you got the gun thing to slot the controller into its even better.

Mad World I remember being decent fun but you will probably start to get tired of it before you finish it.... No More Heros I didnt get into at all, but it had amazing reviews so probably worth checking out anyway.

Don't know about any newer games, havent switched my wii on in ages, other than to play wii sports now and then.

Aim4TheHead 04-30-2012 06:44 PM

I'll tell you what. I bought Ju On (The Grudge) for the Wii, and it was easily the scariest game I've ever played. I think it's called "Ju On: The Grudge Haunted House simulator"

Been playing video games since Atari, big fan of survival horror, this one takes it. Turn the lights off, play at night, and you're in for a real treat.

ManchestrMorgue 05-02-2012 02:20 AM

I have all 3 consoles.

Cross platform games tend to be better on the other 2 consoles.

Wii is good for "party games". Mario Kart is good, and some of the Wii sports games are also fun with the motion controller.

But as others have said, better with more than one human player.

newb 05-02-2012 06:28 PM

I have a Wii

don't really play it much...but the kids do love the Mario Brawl game

realdealblues 05-04-2012 07:17 AM

I've got a PS3 and 360 as well but my Wii get's far more use than either of the other two.

I have a buddy who comes over once a week to have a few beers, watch a "bad" horror movie, and then shoot some stuff via the Wii. You need to get a Quickshot or Zapper for the Wii (I like the Quickshot myself) but a couple of our favorites have been House Of The Dead: Overkill, Dead Space: Extraction, and Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles.

We're actually going to start playing Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles tonight which I've read is better than The Umbrella Chronicles, but anyway. The Rail Shooters are great fun to me. No worrying about moving around, just point and shoot..which gets more interesting as the night goes on and the beer goes down.

FreddyMyers 05-04-2012 08:22 AM

I had a Wii for a while and used it to play old games like Punch Out or Super Mario 3 more so than the games for the console. When i did have it, it was used consistently. Good girl(friend) console. Very good for parties.

cheebacheeba 05-06-2012 08:06 PM

Yes, I think a lot of the use it will be getting is when I buy the "old" games.
Do they actually run well and look right on the wii?
I only ask this, as I've had nothing but problems with PC emulators...I mean they're ok and all, but I'd really like to play some 16 bit games that look like they're supposed to...

I've got Kirby so far, which is a VEEERY simplistic, but quite fun platformer.
I always thought, when I looked at the older Kirby games, that they looked like a good playthrough - I might have to backtrack and check out the earlier series now.

What else.
Got Mario Kart.
I have yet to try 2 player, and I know this is an important part of games like this...however, I have to say that while it's a very nice looking game, the single player aspect hasn't really grabbed me as much as the 64 version did.
I won't judge it fully yet.
I mean it seems OK, and it's certainly a visual upgrade.

Since it's not commercially available here I'm trying to download a copy of "manhunt 2", see how I go with that.

I've had a look at the new "boy and his blob" on youtube...how strange that this title from my (quite early) childhood has been revamped.
I remember *seeing* it back in the day, and having a brief play of it when a local store was demo'ing it - this was actually the first time in a videogame that I was impressed by an interesting concept - it just seemed somehow "deeper" than other games I'd seen.
Anyways the new one, is really a beautiful looking game, I will have to grab a copy.

Thanks for the recos too folks, and keep them coming if anything else occurs.
Nice to have a list to check out.

realdealblues 05-07-2012 05:39 AM

I haven't had any problems with the "old" games. I've probably bought 20 or so from various platforms...NES, Genesis, TurboGrafx-16 and haven't had any issues with any of them on the Wii.