Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Upcoming Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Latest in Horror - All's Happening at the Horror Front (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30244)

_____V_____ 06-12-2007 08:20 AM

Latest in Horror - All's Happening at the Horror Front

Suspiria Remake

Slightly old news, but it is reported that upstart production house First Sun has acquired the rights to remake Dario Argento’s classic 1977 Suspiria for modern audiences. First Sun is a conglomeration of director Luca Guadagnino, fashion designer Silvia Venturini and a slew of producers.

"Suspiria has a unique style that we want to reinvent for today's generation," director Guadagnino told the trade. "We intend to create a concept that will encompass cinema, videogames, fashion and music and that revives the original for those who did not experience it. The Gothic resurgence is very strong around the world at the moment ... and we feel that a new version of Suspiria will fit very well."

Lindsay Lohan's foray into horror - Director speaks

Again, not new news...director Chris Sivertson's I Know Who Killed Me is centered in an idyllic small town which is rocked when Aubrey Fleming (Lindsay Lohan), a bright and promising young woman, is abducted and tortured by a sadistic serial killer. When she manages to escape, the traumatized girl who regains consciousness in the hospital insists that she is not who they think she is and that the real Aubrey Fleming is still in mortal danger.

Sivertson had the task of taming party-girl Lindsay Lohan for a difficult dual role, “Lindsay and I hit it off right away. It's fantastic to work with somebody that gifted. Her dual roles in the film were extremely demanding - both physically and emotionally and she pulled it all off with true style.” Sivertson speaks very highly of Lohan’s talent telling that “The movie is a real showcase of what she can do.”

IKWKM is getting release right dead smack in the middle of summer blockbusters, but Sivertson isn’t sweating it, “ I'm excited as hell to be getting a summer release - it's fun to push this really dark and twisted mind-bender of a movie out amongst all the mega-budgeted sequels and remakes out there this summer,” he continues, “Tri-Star easily could have played it safe and waited for the fall but they've really gotten behind the movie.”

What horror fans what to know is just how bloody is the film, considering it’s more of a thriller. “There is some pretty nasty stuff in the flick. It's not a gore-film at all, but there are a few sequences that pack a mean punch.”

I KNOW WHO KILLED ME hits theaters everywhere on July 27.

Ringu's duo makers' new effort

Two of Japan's top moviemakers are teaming up for a horror project at 20th Century Fox and Regency Enterprises. Hideo Nakata (The Ring 2) is attached to direct Inhuman, which pairs him with "The Grudge" producer Taka Ichise, who is producing alongside Vertigo Entertainment's Roy Lee and Doug Davison. Regency bought Eric Heisserer's horror pitch "Inhuman," which is loosely based on a Japanese murder case and was brought to Heisserer by Orion Prout, who is associate producing alongside Jennifer Fukasawa from Ichise's Ozla Pictures banner.

Nakata and Ichise, two giants of J-horror, paired up on the Japanese-language "Ringu" series, which spawned two English-language hits starring Naomi Watts.

Casting for "The Burrowers"

Doug Hutchison (The Lawnmower Man), Clancy Brown (Starship Troopers, Pet Sematary II) and William Mapother (Suspect Zero, The Grudge, Lost) will all star in J.T. Petty's The Burrowers, which begins shooting this summer in New Mexico.

The Burrowers tells the story of a band of courageous men who set out to find and recover a family of settlers that has mysteriously vanished from their home. Expecting the offenders to be a band of fierce natives, the group prepares for a routine battle. But they soon discover that the real enemy stalks them from below.

Neil Marshall (The Descent) bringing Doomsday

Neil Marshall's (The Descent) upcoming apocalyptic-thriller Doomsday is all set to be a Rogue Pictures release in 2008.

Doomsday is set three decades after a lethal virus tore through a major country, leading to the country's walling off. When the virus, known as the Reaper, resurfaces in another country, an elite group is dispatched to the infected country to find a cure. There, they end up shut off from the rest of the world and must battle through a landscape that has become a waking nightmare.

First Peek at "1408"

The first clip from Dimension Films' 1408, which hits theaters June 22, can be viewed here :-

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809721616/video/3010743/

"1408" is the tale of a debunker of paranormal occurrences (John Cusack) who encounters real terror when he checks into the notorious Room 1408 at the Dolphin Hotel.

Del Toro and Clive Barker team-up

What do you get when you clash the worlds of Clive Barker and Guillermo del Toro?

I'm hoping pure madness and insanity.

Today it was announced that Jennifer Connelly (Dark Water) and Paul Bettany (The Da Vinci Code, Inkheart) will star in Born, a psychological thriller that Guillermo del Toro, Lawrence Gordon and Lloyd Levin will produce, and horror vet Clive Barker will exec-produce.

Daniel Simpson will direct the project, which revolves around a couple who settle down in a seemingly idyllic English town to raise a family. Their perfect life is shaken when the husband, a claymation artist, discovers his characters are acting out a nightmare that comes to life.

Simpson penned the script with Barker and Paul Kaye.

Stop-motion animated sequences, produced by Chiodo Bros. Prods. ("Elf," "Team America") will be integrated into the pic.

Steve Lanning and Cliff Lanning are producers on "Born," which starts production in mid-August in the U.K.

Connelly wrapped "Reservation Road," opposite Joaquin Phoenix and Mark Ruffalo for Focus Features, while Bettany completed "Inkheart," which stars Helen Mirren, Brendan Fraser and Andy Serkis.

Del Toro, Gordon and Levin are in production on "Hellboy II" for Universal.

Remake of "A Tale of Two Sisters"

The beautiful Elizabeth Banks (40-Year-Old Virgin, Wet Hot American Summer, Slither) will star in the Korean horror remake "A Tale of Two Sisters" for DreamWorks.

Based on the Kim Jee-Woon's 2003 Korean horror film of the same name, the story revolves around two sisters who return home to their father after spending time in a mental institution. Their recovery is hindered by their cruel stepmother's (Banks) obsessiveness and an interfering ghost. Brothers Thomas and Charles Guard are still attached to helm the film, scheduled to begin shooting in July in Shreveport, La.

Craig Rosenberg adapted the English-language screenplay, with a rewrite from Carlo Bernard and Doug Miro.

Banks, who can be seen in "Spider-Man 3," next will appear in Universal Pictures' "Definitely, Maybe" and 20th Century Fox's "Starship Dave," opposite Eddie Murphy. Her most recent credits include starring opposite Mark Wahlberg in "Invincible."

Ghost Rider sequel?

Mark Steven Johnson is considering dusting off Johnny Blaze for another Ghost Ride.

"We're talking about it, yeah, talking about it," says Johnson of "Ghost Rider 2". "I don't know what I'm going to do, to be honest. After Daredevil and this ... it takes so long, these movies. I really want something different, and the pressure of the fan community is always so great."

Johnson, who started out on comedies like "Grumpy Old Men", says he’d much rather do something lighter next. "I would like to do something more comedy-based," he says, "go back to my roots like the Grumpy Old Men movies and do something with effects. I love effects; I love working with them. So I don't know about for myself, if that's in the cards for me."

But if there is a "Ghost Rider 2", Johnson has his ideas.

"If there's a second one, I would push for Scarecrow," he says. "In fact, in my first script it was Scarecrow who was the villain, but then I heard that they were going to put him in the Batman movie. But now having seen it, he wasn't really in it that much. And the Marvel Scarecrow is really pretty cool, so I think he'd be an excellent villain. I also think there's a character named Blackout that could be interesting, [and] there's Vengeance from the later comics."

The Arcanum is coming

Gold Circle Films (“Slither”, “White Noise : The Light”) have picked up feature rights to Thomas Wheeler's fantasy-adventure "The Arcanum" out of turnaround from Miramax.

"The Arcanum," Wheeler's debut novel, is set in 1919 and follows the titular secret society comprising the era's leading occult investigators -- Arthur Conan Doyle, Harry Houdini, H.P. Lovecraft and Marie Laveau -- as they battle demons descending on New York City, including a serial killer of angels.

Gold Circle topper Paul Brooks says that the banner's going out to directors. "We see this as a potential franchise property," he added.

(References - bloody-disgusting.com, moviehole.net, yahoo.com)

Gentlemen Death 06-12-2007 08:54 AM

Doomsday sounds really cool....Any apacolyptic kind of movie that comes out, you will find me sitting in the front row....I cannot get enough of those movies.....:D

MisterSadistro 06-12-2007 12:30 PM

Remaking 'Suspiria' ?!? Is nothing sacred ? How about remaking something that wasn't so good in the first place to make it better rather than watering down what is already great ? Nonsense like this makes me ashamed to be a filmmaker :mad:
CK

Wensday13 06-12-2007 12:43 PM

No, nothings sacred. I was reading another forum last night concerning Rob Zombies new version of Halloween. Some were in favor, some wernt.

Some of you woulnt like this but here goes............................
I cant understand why people hate remakes so much. Its not like if somebody remakes a movie there going to change the orginal. Some of you seem to be under the impression that, if somebody remakes one of your favorite movies, when you put the orginal dvd in, the remakes going to play.
The orginal will always be the orginal. Remaking it isnt going to change it.
Ok, so most them arnt any good, dont watch them. Nobodys going to make you see it. I do feel that making a judgement on something you havnt seen isnt fair, thats beside the point.

Ive heard people say remakes are bad for the genre. How?????
When young kids who havnt seen (Suspiria in this case) see the newer one and like it, dosnt that raise the liklyhood of them seeking out the orginal?
Would the people remaking these movies even be doing it if they didnt like the orginals?

Just a thought

MisterSadistro 06-12-2007 01:36 PM

I'm more for Hollywood coming up with something new that could become a classic rather than just remaking anything that has any value (esp to fans) in order to keep attempting to cash in on a name like 'Halloween', 'Suspiria', 'The Haunting' or any other countless films. What about if the remake completely tanks (which is often the case) ? How many of younger viewers are going back to see the original 'Black Christmas', 'When A Stranger Calls', 'The Hitcher', etc after being completely put off by some CGI laden, Mtv looking crap that has the same name ? Hell, if I had seen any of them first, I certainly wouldn't be rushing out to rent the original to see where the source material came from. If it sounds like I'm preaching, that's fine. As long as people keep buying tickets and Hollywood keeps making money churning out subpar movies with familiar titles, there will be no shortage of remade horror films. I think that's unfortunate as a fan of the genre and a filmmaker myself.
Apparently it is easier to remake something badly than to create something new- esp if it's already a proven winner. Think about it.
CK

jenna26 06-12-2007 03:55 PM

And I will rant again....think it has been awhile, on this forum anyway.....;)

I don't mind the OCCASIONAL remake, I have liked a few. There have been remakes that did a good job in paying homage to the original, or expanded upon it, or seems to be made by someone who actually has an understanding and love of the horror genre, and not just out for a paycheck until they can make "serious" films. But that is rare. There is hardly any risk-taking in horror anymore, and that is a big part of horror for me. They know they can bank on a name; it is safe for them, no need to even make an attempt at originality. It just makes me wonder how many fresh scripts are being tossed aside in order to make yet another remake. I just want to see more movies that try to make it own their own merits instead of falling back on the name, controversy or popularity of another.

Sure, there are decent remakes. But for the most part they are uninspired, boring and completely unnecessary. Usually they pale so much in comparison to the original film you just have to wonder what they were thinking. A lot of the time, they seem to be directed, or written by someone that doesn't seem to have a clue about the original film, or the horror genre. And the result is, much of the time, a disappointing mess. Either the name is ripped off, and has nothing to do with the original film (House of Wax, which seems more like a remake of Tourist Trap really). Completely ignore and ruin what was great about the original (The Haunting remake). Or they copy it almost scene by scene, adding absolutely nothing interesting or unique to it, which makes it even more pointless, and really seems to scream...."hey, look at me, I can do it better" (Psycho remake). And yes, it just pisses me off to hear others say how much "better" the remakes are, and I have heard it over and over again. The ones that are so against remakes, just want to see some attempt at originality, and want to see respect paid to these great films.

Oh and BOOOOOO! to a Suspiria or A Tale of Two Sisters remake. Looking forward to Doomsday and Born though, they sound promising.

novakru 06-12-2007 04:22 PM

Whoa, Whoa, wait a minute, hold up....INKHEART has been completed???
Oh happy, happy, joy, joy!!:) :)

Also:
1408 looks REALLY good.

jenna26 06-12-2007 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novakru (Post 609996)
Also:
1408 looks REALLY good.

I just saw a trailer for it, and it looks good, and I like John Cusack a lot, but anytime a Stephen King story is adapted for the screen, I am a bit leery....lol.

novakru 06-12-2007 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenna26 (Post 609998)
I just saw a trailer for it, and it looks good, and I like John Cusack a lot, but anytime a Stephen King story is adapted for the screen, I am a bit leery....lol.

We all hold our breath every time a King story comes to the screen:)

So.....pregnant yet *evil laugh*
You must JOIN US, JOIN US....
The Mommy Club needs you:D

Ok, I won't tease you anymore...you'll get enough of that at all the new family functions from now on. lol

Wensday13 06-12-2007 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterSadistro (Post 609963)
I'm more for Hollywood coming up with something new that could become a classic rather than just remaking anything that has any value (esp to fans) in order to keep attempting to cash in on a name like 'Halloween', 'Suspiria', 'The Haunting' or any other countless films. What about if the remake completely tanks (which is often the case) ? How many of younger viewers are going back to see the original 'Black Christmas', 'When A Stranger Calls', 'The Hitcher', etc after being completely put off by some CGI laden, Mtv looking crap that has the same name ? Hell, if I had seen any of them first, I certainly wouldn't be rushing out to rent the original to see where the source material came from. If it sounds like I'm preaching, that's fine. As long as people keep buying tickets and Hollywood keeps making money churning out subpar movies with familiar titles, there will be no shortage of remade horror films. I think that's unfortunate as a fan of the genre and a filmmaker myself.
Apparently it is easier to remake something badly than to create something new- esp if it's already a proven winner. Think about it.
CK

While I can understand the orginalality aurgment, I still feel like alot of people think film makers are tampering with something "sacred". Theres nothing sacred about any movie. They made every movie with the hopes it would make them money. I refuse to belive anybodys ever made a movie, remake or otherwise and said "man, I sure hopes this movie sucks and nobody likes it".
Again, if you feel that strongly about it, dont watch it. But theres no point in complaing about it.

As far as younger viewers are concerned, your comparing the remakes to thier orginals. People who havnt saw the orginals cant compare. Besides that, those "CGI laden" movies must be doing alright, Hollywood keeps churning them out. Im not saying Im particularly wild about most remakes. Im saying, if you were to take a cencus, most old school horror fans probley wouldnt be in favor of remaking such classic movies. But old school, hardcore horror fans represent such a small amount of the population I dont think most film makers make a point to cater to them.

_____V_____ 06-12-2007 08:59 PM

Rachel Weisz in Peter Jackson's "Bones" adaptation

English actress Rachel Weisz has signed on to star in Peter Jackson's adaptation of "The Lovely Bones."

Based on Alice Sebold's 2002 best-seller, the story is told through the voice of Susie Salmon, a young girl who is murdered but continues to observe her family on Earth after her death. She witnesses the impact of her loss on her loved ones, while her killer skillfully covers his tracks and prepares to murder again.

Weisz will play the mother of the dead girl, a role that Jackson and his writing team of Philippa Boyens and Fran Walsh are expanding in their adaptation.

The $80 million picture is scheduled to begin filming in October in Pennsylvania and New Zealand. The DreamWorks project will be distributed worldwide by Paramount Pictures.

The film will mark the first teaming of the Academy Award-winning director and the Academy Award-winning actress. Weisz won an Oscar for her supporting role in 2005's "The Constant Gardner." Jackson won three Oscars for his work on 2003's "The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King."

(reference - movies.yahoo.com)

_____V_____ 06-13-2007 08:03 AM

D-War set to rock the screens in August, 2007

Yesterday two amazing international posters were revealed from Shim Hyung-Rae's D-War, which Freestyle Releasing will send to theaters later this year here in the States.

Based on the Korean legend, unknown creatures will return and devastate the planet. Reporter Ethan Kendrick is called in to investigate the matter, and he arrives at the conclusion that a girl stricken with a mysterious illness named Sarah is suppose to help him. The Imoogi makes its way to Los Angeles, wreaking havoc and destruction. With the entire city under arms, will Ethan and Sarah make it in time to save the people of Los Angeles?

The posters can be viewed here and here. The posters look awesome...and I must admit this can be the next big thing from Asian cinema to hit US screens.

The teaser trailer can be downloaded from here.

New stills from Argento's Mother of Tears

Dario Argento's The Mother of Tears, which is the third and final "Mother" movie (after Inferno, Suspiria), centers on a young American art student, Sarah, who "unwittingly opens an ancient urn that unleashes the demonic power of the world's most powerful witch. As a scourge of suicides plague the city and witches from all over the world converge on Rome to pay homage, Sarah must use all her own psychic powers to stop the 'Mother of Tears' before her evil conquers the world.

You can see plenty of interesting gorific stills here.

Final Official Poster for Danny Boyle's Sunshine

Today the final official poster was revealed for Danny Boyle's Sunshine, which Fox Searchlight will release on July 20.

Fifty years from now, the sun is dying, and mankind is dying with it. Our last hope: a spaceship and a crew of eight men and women. They carry a device which will breathe new life into the star. But deep into their voyage, out of radio contact with Earth, their mission is starting to unravel. There is an accident, a fatal mistake, and a distress beacon from a spaceship that disappeared seven years earlier. Soon the crew is fighting not only for their lives, but their sanity.

The poster can be viewed here.

(References - bloody-disgusting.com)

MisterSadistro 06-13-2007 08:34 AM

Quote:

While I can understand the orginalality aurgment, I still feel like alot of people think film makers are tampering with something "sacred". Theres nothing sacred about any movie. They made every movie with the hopes it would make them money. I refuse to belive anybodys ever made a movie, remake or otherwise and said "man, I sure hopes this movie sucks and nobody likes it".
Again, if you feel that strongly about it, dont watch it. But theres no point in complaing about it.

As far as younger viewers are concerned, your comparing the remakes to thier orginals. People who havnt saw the orginals cant compare. Besides that, those "CGI laden" movies must be doing alright, Hollywood keeps churning them out. Im not saying Im particularly wild about most remakes. Im saying, if you were to take a cencus, most old school horror fans probley wouldnt be in favor of remaking such classic movies. But old school, hardcore horror fans represent such a small amount of the population I dont think most film makers make a point to cater to them.
With over 25 spelling and grammar errors alone in a two paragraph reply, I'm having difficulty understanding your argument at all :rolleyes: Your first two sentences alone contradict each other. I digress.
If "old school, hardcore horror fans represent such a small amount of the population" to begin with (according to you), then why do you think Hollywood even bothers to reuse the exact same titles as the originals to begin with ? There are thousands of murderous masked madmen movies out there so why use the title 'Halloween' rather than 'Rob Zombie's Killer X Movie' ? People would be less likely to see that I bet. If Hollywood was so concerned about doing justice to a remake, there were plenty of subpar slasher movies from the 1980s alone that could've been better with a little polishing. So why does Hollywood only keep grabbing the titles of movies that "such a small amount of the population" would identify ?
The correct answer: money.
I'll let you in on a little secret: Hollywood doesn't care if you enjoy a movie or not. They just want your paying ass in a seat. They might even get you again later with a DVD afterwards, especially if they slap something on the cover like "director's cut" or "unrated version". That's a great marketing ploy. It's almost like saying "new and improved movie with 10% more entertainment value" on it. The recent 'King Kong' movie costed a lot of money to make (CGI laden films usually do) and didn't make back the billions of dollars as expected. To date it's had 4 or 5 DVD versions already released of it. Why would Hollywood release what is in essence an incomplete version of the movie in the theaters only to release it on DVD later with even more footage if it made the movie better to begin with ?
The correct answer is: money.
By now you are probably screaming at your monitor "Mister Sadistro ! My God ! You're right ! I can't believe I haven't been able to see any of this before your enlightenment ! What can I do as a fan to help prevent this nefarious act of larceny commited by The Great Beast Hollywood ?"
Well, I'm glad you asked (and please, don't interrupt me when I'm on a roll).
Hollywood is much like an assembly line. Get a famous name for an actor, even if they can't act or wouldn't be correct for a part (that doesn't matter- this is about making money, not entertainment) like, say, Paris Hilton, add anybody as a director no matter how incompetent (let's say Uwe Boll), spend as much needed on advertising and CGI (this part hurts, but people are often distracted by shiny things- see Paris Hilton- and makes sure those paying asses are in seats and buy DVDs). Most importantly, use a title that people already know, even if they haven't seen or heard it in awhile (like 'House Of Wax'). Movie completed !
"But, Mister Sadistro ! You forgot them adding a story to these assembly line movies !" you are saying. I did NOT forget adding a story and please don't interrupt. We already spent money on advertising, Paris Hilton's name and CGI. This is about making money, not spending money. Do you know how much it costs for an original story ? Approximately 10-13% of the overall budget (I'm pretty sure Roderick Usher on here will back me up on this). Those CGI fx add up and a known name to boot ? Geez. 10-13% of all that ends up to be an awful lot (well, maybe not by Hollywood standards, but why spend more when they already have the key ingredients to assure them paying asses are in seats ?). Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to remake something they already own the rights to than to <gasp !> pay for something original ? Hell, people already know the title and that's a built in audience. This is like the loaves and fishes ! Back to the assembly line ! We can churn out a few of these each month easily !
Maybe these "filmmakers" don't go out of their way to "make a bad movie", but do you seriously get the impression that they're even attempting to make a good one ? It's a mass produced, mass marketed product and as long as paying asses are still in the seats, subpar horror movies will continue to be remade and rehashed. Don't see them, don't support them, don't enable them. If the money doesn't come, they will have to rethink their formula.
Class dismissed :D

jenna26 06-13-2007 10:42 AM

Well, I think we all know its about money, and like Wensday13's previous point, no one makes a film, invests their money and/or time in it hoping that it fails miserably and is a complete loss. They want an audience. Its a business after all, and if no one likes the product, if everyone refuses to see it, then its a loss.

But I do think there have been times when it wasn't completely about that, when filmmakers wanted to make money, of course, but also put a little love and respect into their work. And that still happens, it just seems a lot more rare. I think very few filmmakers fight to make the movies they want to make anymore, and even when they do, they are pretty restricted unless they can figure ways to finance it all themselves.

MisterSadistro is absolutely right, they don't have to put much thought, effort or as much money into a remake, and they are almost always guaranteed to make money. They are comfortable, they know people will pay to see them, out of curiosity, or because they are just desperate for new horror, and will see any horror film hitting a local theater, remake or not, or they know nothing about the original films and don't care to know. And when you have a genuine love for movies, that can be frustrating.

Honestly, I give just about every movie a chance, even remakes, I will see them. And like I said, the occasional remake I wouldn't have a problem with if it was done the right way, but the sheer amount of remakes hitting the theaters is way past ridiculous. And I am not going to pay 7 dollars a ticket to see a remakes of films that was done the RIGHT way the first time. Unfortunately, most people don't feel the same way, so we are going to see more and more of them. Obviously, people do like remakes. I even know people that preferred the remake of Psycho to the original.....and I will just leave you with that disturbing thought.

MisterSadistro 06-13-2007 11:15 AM

Quote:

MisterSadistro is absolutely right
I love to hear that. Wish it was more often :D
I'm currently doing a 5.1 sound mix and composing the music for a movie that has now been in the making for 2 years. Do you know who has got money invested in it ? The director and myself. It gets a lot more personal when you actually have an interest in making a movie the best that it can be rather than just cashing in on a name for another disposable remake.
We've got deadlines coming up in 3 weeks in order to get it entered to several filmfests. Do you think we'd say "Time's up ! Good enough !" and cross our fingers ? No way ! It will be seen when it's the best it can be. No DVD releases of "unrated versions" or pre-planned sequels. It's a true labor of love and has a lot more heart going for it than any reheated Hollywood leftovers. If we never make a dime off it (and that is always possible), it's worth it more to me to hear "Hey, man. I really liked your movie." Know why ? It is ours and not somebody else's title to begin with.

Wensday13 06-13-2007 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterSadistro (Post 610147)
With over 25 spelling and grammar errors alone in a two paragraph reply, I'm having difficulty understanding your argument at all :rolleyes: Your first two sentences alone contradict each other. I digress.
If "old school, hardcore horror fans represent such a small amount of the population" to begin with (according to you), then why do you think Hollywood even bothers to reuse the exact same titles as the originals to begin with ? There are thousands of murderous masked madmen movies out there so why use the title 'Halloween' rather than 'Rob Zombie's Killer X Movie' ? People would be less likely to see that I bet. If Hollywood was so concerned about doing justice to a remake, there were plenty of subpar slasher movies from the 1980s alone that could've been better with a little polishing. So why does Hollywood only keep grabbing the titles of movies that "such a small amount of the population" would identify ?
The correct answer: money.
I'll let you in on a little secret: Hollywood doesn't care if you enjoy a movie or not. They just want your paying ass in a seat. They might even get you again later with a DVD afterwards, especially if they slap something on the cover like "director's cut" or "unrated version". That's a great marketing ploy. It's almost like saying "new and improved movie with 10% more entertainment value" on it. The recent 'King Kong' movie costed a lot of money to make (CGI laden films usually do) and didn't make back the billions of dollars as expected. To date it's had 4 or 5 DVD versions already released of it. Why would Hollywood release what is in essence an incomplete version of the movie in the theaters only to release it on DVD later with even more footage if it made the movie better to begin with ?
The correct answer is: money.
By now you are probably screaming at your monitor "Mister Sadistro ! My God ! You're right ! I can't believe I haven't been able to see any of this before your enlightenment ! What can I do as a fan to help prevent this nefarious act of larceny commited by The Great Beast Hollywood ?"
Well, I'm glad you asked (and please, don't interrupt me when I'm on a roll).
Hollywood is much like an assembly line. Get a famous name for an actor, even if they can't act or wouldn't be correct for a part (that doesn't matter- this is about making money, not entertainment) like, say, Paris Hilton, add anybody as a director no matter how incompetent (let's say Uwe Boll), spend as much needed on advertising and CGI (this part hurts, but people are often distracted by shiny things- see Paris Hilton- and makes sure those paying asses are in seats and buy DVDs). Most importantly, use a title that people already know, even if they haven't seen or heard it in awhile (like 'House Of Wax'). Movie completed !
"But, Mister Sadistro ! You forgot them adding a story to these assembly line movies !" you are saying. I did NOT forget adding a story and please don't interrupt. We already spent money on advertising, Paris Hilton's name and CGI. This is about making money, not spending money. Do you know how much it costs for an original story ? Approximately 10-13% of the overall budget (I'm pretty sure Roderick Usher on here will back me up on this). Those CGI fx add up and a known name to boot ? Geez. 10-13% of all that ends up to be an awful lot (well, maybe not by Hollywood standards, but why spend more when they already have the key ingredients to assure them paying asses are in seats ?). Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to remake something they already own the rights to than to <gasp !> pay for something original ? Hell, people already know the title and that's a built in audience. This is like the loaves and fishes ! Back to the assembly line ! We can churn out a few of these each month easily !
Maybe these "filmmakers" don't go out of their way to "make a bad movie", but do you seriously get the impression that they're even attempting to make a good one ? It's a mass produced, mass marketed product and as long as paying asses are still in the seats, subpar horror movies will continue to be remade and rehashed. Don't see them, don't support them, don't enable them. If the money doesn't come, they will have to rethink their formula.
Class dismissed :D

Well, if your head wasnt so far up your ass you would be able to see what Im saying.
Theres absoulty nothing sacred about any movie, at all, whatsoever. The fact that YOU like something dosnt mean shit to anybody but you. Another thing, dont think your impressing me. Ill be honest, right now your coming off like a spoiled child. You seem to belive your opinion of something is the only one that matters. I mean, remakes for movies for the most part must be doing alright. There wouldnt be as many of them. And of course its about money.

Old school, hardcore horror fans do represnt a small amount of the population.
The people who feel these films are "scared" are a minority. Otherwise, there would be public outcry to stop remaking movies. Dosnt seem that way. Tell you what, your wasting your time on me. Go to the people making these movies, I havnt made any of them. Tell them, you post alot on the internet, tell them how smart you are, tell them class is in session. All this youve told me, tell them. If you convince them, Im with you.

Alot of the people flocking to see remakes dont always even know thier remakes. Alot of people who went to see Black Christmas or The Hills Have Eyes probley didnt even know there was an orginal. Is there money any less spendable? Just because they havnt seen the orginal, dose what they think matter anymore than what you think? No.
The orginal story was interesting enough to try to make some more money off of it. Why not? Thier "sacred"????? Bullshit. Again, if you dont like it, dont watch. I dont like country music, I also dont spend any time complaing about it.
For something you claim to not like you seem to be putting alot of effort into changing my mind about it.

The rest of this isnt worth replying to. Its mostly a self-rightous attempt to enlarge your e-penis. Go for you. Bust your ass to impress somebody youll claim not to care about.

MisterSadistro 06-13-2007 06:40 PM

If memory serves correctly, it was you who asked why remakes are looked down upon. I answered, bringing some very valid points to the discussion. You brought "e-penis" comments. Then you complained since you are in the minority of people that actually prefers wasting your time and money on remakes. That is unfortunate. Both could've been better served on reading some books in a decent school to get you past a third grade reading level so when you decide to debate someone with an opinion different than your own, it doesn't come across sounding like "I know you are, but what am I ?" :rolleyes:
You are not only another strong point against remakes as far as I'm concerned, you should be the poster child as well. Good job :D

Wensday13 06-13-2007 07:20 PM

The only valid point you made was you like orginal ideas. Well, okay. Dont watch remakes. Im not trying to sway the opinion of anyone here.
Im wondering, still, why people pitch such a bitch about it. If its not something you agree with, dont support it. Seems like your a little upset because I disagreed with you. Otherwise, you wouldnt be pointing out my grammer errors.
You seem to think "since I like something everybody else should, and nobody should remake it because since I like it, it must be perfect because my opinion is the only one that counts"
Thats a textbook childish way of thinking.

Wensday13 06-13-2007 07:26 PM

Actually I was debating, you started this pissing contest. Go back and re-read it.

Oh and by the way. If youd have read what I posted youd have read that Im not even particulary that found of most remakes.
Im not closed minded enough to say that just because I dont like something everybody who does is wrong.
Im also not closed-minded enough to decide I hate a movie that I havnt seen.

And why are you wasting all this time here? Dont you have a pile of shit of your to work on?

_____V_____ 06-14-2007 07:27 AM

Comic book scribe David Goyer hired to write and direct "The Invisible Man"

The go-to scribe for comic book movies David Goyer (“Blade”, “Batman Begins”) has inked a deal to write and direct “The Invisible Man”, a new take on the H.G. Wells classic.

Goyer, whose last film was the spooky “The Invisible”, has always been a fan of the story and looks set to get to work on it after he shoots the “X-Men” spin-off, “Magneto”.

"I've always been a fan of the original H.G. Wells book as well as the Universal film and felt the property was ripe for re-imagining," Goyer said.

Conceived as a sequel to Wells' original tale, the story centers on a British nephew of the original Invisible Man. Once he discovers his uncle's formula for achieving invisibility, he is recruited by British intelligence agency MI5 during WWII.

"Castlevania" is happening

"Stomp the Yard” director Sylvain White will change gears as he signs on to direct “Castlevania," a live-action adaptation of the Konami vampire videogame that's co-produced by Rogue Pictures and Crystal Sky Entertainment.

The movie, which will shoot late fall in South Africa and Romania, has been co-financed and will be distributed by Rogue later next year.

Scripted by Paul W.S. Anderson ("Alien vs. Predator"), the drama begins as a Transylvanian knight leads his men into a gothic castle to seek refuge from the Turkish army. The knights soon discover the castle is controlled by the original vampire.

White grew up playing the game in the early 1990s, and was attracted to the chance to make a vampire film. The script sets up a generational clash between Vlad the Impaler and the Belmont family, a clan that unleashed the original vampire and battles to defeat him.

"Most of the vampire films have been present or set in the future, from 'Blade' to 'Underworld,' and I was attracted by the chance to make a dark, epic period movie that almost has an anime feel to it," White said.

(References - bloody-disgusting.com, moviehole.net)

dabruce16 06-14-2007 07:38 AM

david goyer, huh? well i like him as a writer. but as a director i'm not a big fan of. it was hard to watch blade trinity. i just don't like how he shoots action sequences.

_____V_____ 06-14-2007 08:28 AM

Samuel L. Jackson's A Longer Kiss Goodnight?

Samuel L. Jackson is developing a sequel to the 1996 thriller "The Long Kiss Goodnight".

The first movie starred Geena Davis as Samantha Caine, a suburban mom and schoolteacher with a seemingly normal life in Honesdale, Pennsylvania, who had been found badly injured and amnesiac several years previously, and has no memory of her past. When she's attacked by an escaped convict, Samantha dispatches her attacker with lethal self-defense skills she wasn't aware she possessed. She hires wisecracking private investigator Mitch Henessey (Samuel L. Jackson) to help her find the truth about her past.

Davis's then-husband Renny Harlin ("Cutthroat Island, Die Hard 2: Die Harder") directed the film.

So yeah…a sequel?

Hmmm...

This comes as a real surprise.

Yes, the film did OK business, but it was hardly Jackson’s best film, let alone something he really shone in – it was Geena Davis who owned that beast; and she’s not even going to be in it. With so many other plum options on his radar, why would Jackson want to reprise that character? Why not Shaft (ok, maybe not) or Zeus Carver? (Then again, considering he did the sequel to “XXX” a couple of years back, Sam’s obviously got a woody for sequels – even bad ones).

Nevertheless, the star of the upcoming Spirit movie (now that’s a cool move, Sam) tells MTV that he and Renny Harlin, director, are brainstorming over ideas.

"Actually, we're thinking, you know, the little girl [Samantha's daughter, Caitlin] is grown up now and possibly got some skills passed onto her by her mom," Jackson said. "Her mom gets killed and we want to find out who did it."

“Mitch is one of my favorite characters,” Jackson enthused. “I mean, every time I pass ‘The Long Kiss Goodnight’ [on TV], I stop and watch it. If it’s on, I stop, I watch it.”

So why in the world, then, does she contact Mitch? “Well, she comes to find me because I’m the only connection to her mom,” Jackson said. “And I might know the people that have done that.”

Jackson says he and Harlin are now on the hunt for a writer who thinks their pen deserves a workout.

(Reference - moviehole.net)

MisterSadistro 06-14-2007 09:38 AM

Quote:

And why are you wasting all this time here? Dont you have a pile of shit of your to work on?
Coming from someone with a third grade reading level in favor of remakes, I take that as a compliment :D

Wensday13 06-14-2007 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterSadistro (Post 610396)
reading level in favor of remakes

Seems like you cant read.

Dante'sInferno 06-14-2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wensday13 (Post 610407)
Seems like you cant read.

Yay!The female version of Darthbane!

MisterSadistro 06-14-2007 02:53 PM

More like Thomas George, minus the inane thread starting :D
If it seems like I "cant" read, perhaps it's because I would need a team of hieroglyphic experts to decipher the posts you've made with the endless spelling and grammar errors that contradict one another. You could at least find SpellCheck in less time and use it for now. Otherwise, I'd suggest:
http://save-on-phonics.com/images/phonics.gif
It would change your life for the better.
On a side note, it's spelled "Wednesday", not "Wensday". That should be a clue right there.

Roderick Usher 06-14-2007 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wensday13 (Post 610215)
Alot of the people flocking to see remakes dont always even know thier remakes. Alot of people who went to see Black Christmas or The Hills Have Eyes probley didnt even know there was an orginal.

They're called morons

Wensday13 06-14-2007 03:58 PM

Spelling and grammer errors aside, tell me why your opinion is the only one that counts? Is that clear enough? Tell me why you know more about what people should like than they do. Impress me with that, because to be honest that straight to video "movie" your working on isnt doing it for me. And no matter what people here tell you, nobody really cares. It just makes you come off like even more of a pompus ass.
Nobodys going to see it until about 3 months after it comes out and its in the bargin bin. That "labor of love" and a dime will buy you a cup of coffee 20 years ago. Nobodys impressed.

So go ahead make fun of spelling and grammer. Because right now, thats about all I can see going for you. Ohhhhhhh, I almost forgot, your working on a movie nobodys going to see, forgive me.

Remakes or not, its fucking stupid to decide how you feel about a movie before you see it. Anybody how tells people "Im involved in making movies, so I MUST know whats good" is fucking stupid. And lastly, its really fucking stupid to waste time posting about movies you claim to hate and people you think of as a lesser.

If the shoe fits I guess........

Wensday13 06-14-2007 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roderick Usher (Post 610485)
They're called morons

Yeah, thats right. People who havnt wasted thier life following movies and posting on message boards, yeah, their the morons. :rolleyes:

Dante'sInferno 06-14-2007 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterSadistro (Post 610476)
More like Thomas George, minus the inane thread starting :D
If it seems like I "cant" read, perhaps it's because I would need a team of hieroglyphic experts to decipher the posts you've made with the endless spelling and grammar errors that contradict one another. You could at least find SpellCheck in less time and use it for now. Otherwise, I'd suggest:
http://save-on-phonics.com/images/phonics.gif
It would change your life for the better.
On a side note, it's spelled "Wednesday", not "Wensday". That should be a clue right there.

Okay,now that i think of it.She's more like SFF.

jenna26 06-14-2007 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wensday13 (Post 610496)
Yeah, thats right. People who havnt wasted thier life following movies and posting on message boards, yeah, their the morons. :rolleyes:

Now there's no reason to get insulting......:rolleyes:

:p

I guess I am just one of those blessed people that can see both viewpoints; as an unpublished, but still hoping to someday be published, writer, I can definitely see why people, especially writers and filmmakers, are frustrated by the lack of originality and love going into much of the film making these days. I can also see why some just don't give a damn, movies are simply an escape for them, nothing more. And that's fine, for them. BUT, movies and books CAN become scared in a way to the people that work on them or the people that are influenced by them. There are people that see movies as more than a way to pass the time. And you are either one of those people, and you get it, or you aren't and you don't. Nothing wrong with being the former or the latter.

MisterSadistro 06-14-2007 11:46 PM

Considering everyone on this message board seems to follow movies and post about them (hence the horror.com title of the site which you are also a member), your statement suggests everyone here, including yourself, is a moron. Since my opinion on remakes speaks only for me, you can speak for yourself in that case. In fact, I'd even dare to say that you've shouted it by now :rolleyes:
Besides a series of migraines for some poor English teacher suffering through a term paper of yours, when was the last time you created anything ? Probably never. Maybe my movie will end up in a bargain bin somewhere. At least I try. I see a problem and I'm not repackaging 'Black Christmas' or any remakes just to get by and collect a quick buck from people who forgot about quality because they've been fed the same dribble for so long that they mindlessly line up like lemmings to see what a supposed horror movie is.
Not that you care or would appreciate the difference, but the wife of a reviewer for a horror magazine went out of her way to write this to the director after seeing the rough cut at press time:
"We watch a lot of "indies" and this was one of the best. I mean that. I could go on and on about the fantastic camera angles that gave points of view that most miss. It is what makes someone with a gift different than someone with a dream. Congratulations on a great flick. I can't wait to see it in its completion!"
Unless I suddenly start mixing sound like you spell, it looks like my "piece of crap" is only getting better. Think about that when you're digging through the bargain bin looking for your next $2.99 treasure :D

_____V_____ 06-15-2007 10:43 AM

Saw releasers remaking several horror classics

Evolution Entertainment has inked a deal with RKO Pictures to redo several of the latter studio’s horror classics.

The companies – Evolution has partnered up as ‘Twisted’ Pictures - will co-finance development and production of "The Body Snatcher," a 1945 Robert Wise-directed thriller that starred Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff; the 1943 pic "I Walked With a Zombie"; and the 1946 Karloff starrer "Bedlam." They've yet to select the fourth title from the RKO vault.

The deal was hatched by Evolution co-presidents Mark Burg and Oren Koules and RKO Pictures chairman-CEO Ted Hartley. They are out to writers and directors, some of whom are expected to come from Evolution Management.

Burg, Koules and Hartley will produce each picture with Twisted Pictures prexy Carl Mazzocone, with Jonathan Marshall exec producing. Movies will be budgeted at $10 million-$20 million. No distributor has been set.

In Twisted, Hartley has found producers with cash and a track record. Burg and Koules self-finance most of their genre pics. That includes the highly profitable "Saw" series, the fourth installment of which is being shot in Toronto for a fall release.

"These guys are very good at making scary pictures, and partnering like this is a great way for us to maximize the use of the RKO library and grow our company," Hartley said.

Hartley most recently dipped into the library for "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House," the Cary Grant comedy that was turned into "Are We Done Yet?," the sequel to the Ice Cube pic "Are We There Yet?" RKO was also a producer of "Curtains," the original Broadway musical that stars David Hyde Pierce and drew eight Tony nominations and a win for Pierce.

For Twisted Pictures partners Burg and Koules, entry to the library gives access to a wealth of titles they feel are still viable.

"We've thought a long time about how to update these classic titles to make them commercial," Burg said. "If these films go well, we hope it leads to more."

The Wizard of Gore director speaks

According to Jeremy Kasten, the director of The Wizard of Gore, which will have it's World Premiere next week as part of the LA Film Fest, this remake of Herschell Gordon Lewis’ exploitation classic puts an up-to-date spin on the tale of an underground illusionist (Crispin Glover) who may be performing more than just sleight-of-hand tricks since volunteers from his audience keep turning up dead.

Kasten talked a bit about his cast and what we can expect from the remake, “Despite having an amazing cast including Crispin Glover, Bijou Phillips, Kip Pardue, Brad Dourif and Jeffrey Combs, an amazing writer in Zach Chassler and amazing locations, gruesome effects and a cast of hundreds, I still managed to utterly run this ship soooo far aground.” He also joked about how fun the film is when you’re drunk, “from what I have seen, the film is fun [when] drunk... for me and you. I’m kidding of course, I can't start drinking on the really early shoot days until after lunch.”

All kidding aside, Kasten took the film into a dark place, “Okay, the movie is f*cking disturbing… [It’s] really dark in a really interesting way.” He also explains how the film has entered into new sub-genre territory, “We have a real anti-hero at the core of this film thusly we call it Splatter-Noir. Of course we kept the basic concept of what H.G. Lewis did so brilliantly, but we really tried to elevate the genre and his story and in-so-doing I think the movie becomes MORE horrific for the ugliness at its CORE. It's EXACTLY what you hope for when you hear there's a cover (I'm loathe to use the term "remake") of The Wizard of Gore with Crispin Glover as Montag.”

Bijou Phillips is one of the stars of Gore, along with Hostel 2, which just hit theaters, Kasten jokes about who would win in a fight between the two characters, “I think the REAL Bijou Phillips could kick BOTH their asses. I have not had time to see Hostel 2 yet. I've been in traction, recovering from a little disagreement with Bijou.”

And from the sounds of it, going into Wizard of Gore will only amplify the experience.

(References - moviehole.net, bloody-disgusting.com)

MisterSadistro 06-15-2007 01:05 PM

5 more remakes ? ugh ! Pretty soon there'll be nothing left to remake. Maybe then something original will finally happen. Unless they start remaking the remakes :D

Wensday13 06-15-2007 07:08 PM

No, I wasnt suggesting that at all. Im suggesting that the casual young movie goer has no reason to know about a film that was made years before they were born. Calling those type of people morons dosnt make much sence. Saying that would imply that if they were "smart" or not morons they would have devoted thier life to the study of horror movies. I mean, sure I like horror movies, I like to converse with like minded folks. Which is why Im here.
But my life is worth more than sitting around watching movies.

Ive never made a movie. I have no ambition of making a movie. I really dont feel the need to get on here and brag about what I have done though. This may come as a shock to you but what a group of strangers think of me itsnt really that important.

MisterSadistro 06-15-2007 08:03 PM

Sooooooooooooooooooo...... there's really no need to say that what I'm currently on is "a piece of crap" I guess ? Since you haven't seen it and I would be more than willing to send you a copy just so you could watch it and say that if that if it is what you really think of it. No hard feelings. Seriously. You can bash the movie and me personally over the boards at that point and I wouldn't argue because I would deserve it. I promise.
I don't want to argue. I will get confrontational when someone tells me to "pull my head out of my ass" however. That just begs for a response. I'd prefer to just say we agree to disagree and leave it at that. If we continue to debate, that's cool, too. Let's just keep personal jabs out of it in that case. Agreed ?

Wensday13 06-15-2007 09:03 PM

Thats cool with me. No hard feelings here. Its all good as they say.

_____V_____ 06-16-2007 08:10 AM

"Dirt" star joins "The I Scream Man"

Dirt star Josh Stewart is the latest to join J.T. Mollner's The I Scream Man, according to the IMDB. Playing Bobby Mills, he joins the massive cast of Haylie Duff, Crispin Glover, Michael Madsen, Judd Nelson, Fred Ward, George A. Romero, Dee Wallace, James DeBello, Bella Thorne, Kristen Kerr, Theresa Tilly, Mikos Zavros and Yvonne Choi.

The pic follows a vengeful ice cream vendor, driven by brutal memories from his twisted past, who wreaks bloody havoc on the small, seemingly innocent town of Hooper, California.

Josh Stewart will also be starring in the upcoming thriller She Lived.

(Reference - bloody-disgusting.com)

Kane_Hodder 06-16-2007 10:29 AM

Why are they hellbent on churning out so many remakes?
Has Hollywood officially run out of original ideas?
It is a shame that a multi-billion dollar industry with no less than a billion scriptwriters (I am sure) cannot think of anything original anymore to contribute to the genre.
Truly sad indeed. This is a crisis.

_____V_____ 06-16-2007 08:04 PM

"The Echo" director promises non-stop scares!

Last week it was announced that Vertigo Entertainment's remake of The Echo aka Sigaw had begun casting with Jesse Bradford set to topline. Basically a ghost story, The Echo revolves around a young ex-con who moves into an old apartment building, only to learn his neighbor is an abusive police officer who savagely beats his wife and daughter. When the ex-con tries to intervene, he becomes trapped in a curse.

Its a remake of Yam Laranas horror film from the Philippines entitled Sigaw. Casting has official begun on the film, which will be revisited by Laranas once again. About remaking his own film Laranas says, “There are so many things I wish I could have done in the original (Sigaw) that I never had the chance to. This is like a "Groundhog Day" situation to me - where I'm reliving the past or the present and making changes for the better,” but more importantly “This is also a chance for me to show my film to a wider audience.”

Laranas also revealed a few things that will be different about the new film, “There are scares in the original that are still there, but I'm pushing it up several notches. I've also written new horror scenes that I think are very unique, he explains, “The characters/characterization are much better now and the story is also tighter.”

The original film mainly took place in an apartment complex, this time the scope is larger, “There are several horrifying sequences that are not happening in the apartment… [expect] non-stop scares!”

Being that the film is going to be PG-13, it only makes sense that The Echo will be all scares, less gore, ‘We try to be faithful to the original as much as we can... [there will be] more scares, less gore. We are going back to pure storytelling and less (or no) special effects.”

After The Echo, Laranas says he has plenty more stories to tell, although he doesn’t want to be typecast, “I try not to be a typecast in the genre, but I still have a lot more horror stories to tell. I would like to someday work on suspense thrillers and dramas.”

(Reference - bloody-disgusting.com)