Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Books & Fiction Writing (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What book u reading at the moment? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19622)

knife_fight 09-06-2006 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by urgeok
upstairs - i'm reading Off Season - Jack Ketchum

how is this?

urgeok 09-06-2006 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by hammerfan
What do you think of it? Do you think I'm completely out of my mind yet?! :D

i've read it before - remember :)

i remember it being ok (considering i'm not a fan of horror fiction)
so far - it's ok again ... nothing to write home about ..good for killing time while eating my morning cereal :)

hammerfan 09-06-2006 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by urgeok
i've read it before - remember :)

i remember it being ok (considering i'm not a fan of horror fiction)
so far - it's ok again ... nothing to write home about ..good for killing time while eating my morning cereal :)

Well, the menopausal brain forgot that you read it before! :D Hey, I could have gone on Who Wants to be a Superhero and been called "The Amazing Menopausal Brain"! :D

urgeok 09-06-2006 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by knife_fight
how is this?
well, he suggested i buy it because it's his first novel (i bought this and one other from him)

i'm about 100 pages in and i have to say it's pretty impressive for a first work.

he does one thing i like - a lot .. he doesnt feel the need to provide every little detail to describe the characters .. he builds a framework via the actions of the characters and lets you fill in the blanks yourself.

he also avoids a lot of other cliches i see in horror fiction all the time .. painfully obvious forshadowing ... silly characters ...

so far its pretty good ..

urgeok 09-07-2006 05:55 AM

just finished Ketchum's Off Season (the uncut version)

excellent writing considering that this is his first novel ..

it has the same feel and flow as Last House or I Spit ..
intense, brutal, no frills.

no cliches either .. impossible to know how this one will end at any time in the novel..

hammerfan 09-07-2006 06:04 AM

Handling and Restraint in Introduction to Veterinary Technology

punk666 09-09-2006 03:00 AM

interview with the vampire - anne rice

Miss Olivia 09-09-2006 10:28 AM

Clive Barker-The Hellbound Heart.
Great story. One of the few occasions where I like the story and the movie equally.

The_Return 09-10-2006 07:04 PM

Im fighting my way through Treasure Island by Robert Lousis Stevenson.

I really dont like novels like this...normally I would have given up on it, but I have to read it for a stage version that Im in this fall. Our play is gonna rock, but God the book is boring.

Oh, if anyone is famiulliar with the book...Im Dr. Livesay:)

Roderick Usher 09-11-2006 12:45 PM

Dark Delicacies

it's a horror anthology that won the Stoker award this year - great shorts from Clive Barker, Ray Bradbury, Steve Niles, Whitlry Strieber, Richard Matheson and others.

also reading Education of a Felon by Edward Bunker