Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Last Seen pre-1970 Classic/Vintage Horror Movie? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18488)

neverending 06-23-2011 03:26 PM

There's a sticky in this forum with HDC's official Classic Top 101 films... so there's your recommendations.

ABjerg 06-23-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverending (Post 895730)
There's a sticky in this forum with HDC's official Classic Top 101 films... so there's your recommendations.

Thanx, I'll just check the 1-10 and hopefully I like em!

The Villain 06-24-2011 10:24 AM

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/...Lake/beast.jpg

Very entertaining monster movie.

neverending 06-24-2011 04:25 PM

You've been watching TCM... been loving their tribute to the drive-in theater this month.

The Villain 06-24-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverending (Post 895855)
You've been watching TCM... been loving their tribute to the drive-in theater this month.

Actually i've just been renting them on Netflix but i've been in a mood for those kinds of movie's lately

_____V_____ 06-26-2011 10:14 AM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

- "I'm blind to all but a tenth of the universe."
- "My friend, only the gods see everything."
- "My dear doctor, I am closing in on the gods."

One of the best sci-fi's ever made, yet, a very underrated film. Ray Milland's performance of his career. More people need to see this one.

"If thine eye offends thee, pluck it out!"

phantomstranger 06-26-2011 05:19 PM

"Phantom From 10,000 Leagues" (1955)

Plot: IMDB
An unusual radioactive rock on the sea bottom mutates the ocean life into a horrible monster. When charred, radioactive bodies begin to drift ashore a scientist and government agent investigate the phenomenon, and it's connection to a local marine biology professor.

Phantom's Review: Classic piece of cheese. Decent acting can't hide one of the goofiest looking monsters in movie history. Melodramatic, silly and downright hysterical. I loved it.

fortunato 06-26-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _____V_____ (Post 895992)
One of the best sci-fi's ever made, yet, a very underrated film. Ray Milland's performance of his career. More people need to see this one.

Agreed. Incredible film!

neverending 06-26-2011 06:50 PM

I'll third that. Entralling the first time I watched it in the theatre as a wee one.

fortunato 06-26-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverending (Post 896026)
I'll third that. Entralling the first time I watched it in the theatre as a wee one.

Sheesh. I would love to have seen that in the theatre.

Horror4ever 06-27-2011 02:37 AM

^^Haven't seen this classic for a long time, need to give it a watch again^^

Bunny Lake is Missing

Not horror but a great suspense drama.

phantomstranger 06-27-2011 03:28 PM

"The Giant Behemoth" (1959)

Marine atomic tests cause changes in the ocean's ecosystem resulting in dangerous blobs of radiation and the resurrection of a dormant dinosaur which threatens London.

Phantom' Review:
One of the best of the "Giant Radioactive Monster" movies of the 50's. While the plot is hardly original, the acting is solid and the special FX (by Willis O'Brian) are great. If you like monsters crushing cities style movies, you'll like this.

hueyisme 06-27-2011 03:58 PM

The Ghost with Barbara Steele. Not as good as her Black Sunday and Long Hair of Death but she plays a good weirdo.

Fearonsarms 06-28-2011 12:35 PM

Barbara Steele is a legend!

phantomstranger 06-28-2011 05:13 PM

Barbara Steele was hot!

phantomstranger 06-29-2011 09:50 AM

"House Of Dracula" (1945)

The last of the "serious" monster movies of the 40's. Like all of the Universal Films, this one has lavish set's, great make up FX, good acting (with some some slightly melodramtic dialog) and is wonderfully atmospheric. A minor classic

_____V_____ 06-30-2011 09:05 PM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...LL._AA300_.jpg

Great little impending doomsday thriller, with a wonderful background score. Recommended.

The Villain 07-01-2011 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _____V_____ (Post 896612)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...LL._AA300_.jpg

Great little impending doomsday thriller, with a wonderful background score. Recommended.

Sounds cool. I'm gonna check it out. Loving all the recommendations i get here. :)

roshiq 07-01-2011 10:45 AM

Yup...Satan Bug is a cool little thriller, saw it few months ago and years ago read a Bangla adaptation novel [Neel Atonko (The Blue Fear)] in our locally popular spy thriller series (inspired by James Bond series)...Rana, Masood Rana...the best espionage operator of Bangladesh Counter Intelligence (BCI)! :)

phantomstranger 07-01-2011 03:37 PM

"The Magnetic Monster"(1953)

Working for O.S.I., the Office of Scientific Investigation, A-Man agent Jeffrey Stewart and his partner Dan Forbes are sent to a local hardware store where they find a strong magnetic field has magnetized every metal item in the store. Investigating further, they eventually trace the source of the magnetism to an airborn flight carrying scientist Howard Denker, now dying of radiation poisoning, who has carted on board with him a new radioactive element which he has bombarded with alpha particles for 200 hours. The element, dubbed 'serranium' grows geometrically by creating matter out of energy which it absorbs from metallic objects surrounding it. Stewart calculates that if the substance is not destroyed soon that within 24 hours or so it will have grown large enough to throw Earth out of its orbit.

Phantom's Review: Well written, if slightly dull, sci-fi drama. Very little action, mostly talking. It kind of reminds me of "The Andromeda Strain" not bad, just not that exciting.

hammerfan 07-02-2011 03:31 AM

Carnival of Souls
Atom Age Vampire

phantomstranger 07-03-2011 08:45 AM

"X The Unknown" (1956)
-Dean Jagger

British Army radiation drills at a remote Scottish base attract a subterranean, radioactive entity of unknown nature that vanishes, leaving two severely radiation-burned soldiers... and a "bottomless" crack in the earth. Others who meet the thing in the night suffer likewise, and with increasing severity; it seems to be able to "absorb" radiation from any source, growing bigger and bigger. What is it?? How do you destroy a thing that "feeds" on energy?

Phantom's Review: Produced by Hammer Films in the late 50's. this is an entertaining little Sci-Fi thriller. Well acted and written (by Jimmy Sangster) The monster is a little reminiscent of "The Blob" but that's okay it doesn't take away from the film. Nothing classic, just a solid well made movie.

Geddy 07-09-2011 07:26 AM

The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...Soul28/cof.jpg

My first exposure to Hammer Horror, and it definitely seems like this was the right place to start. All of the elements in this film work extremely well together to create an extraordinary horror film. Frankenstein has always been one of my favorite stories, and this was a very refreshing take on the story.

The film had a very interesting atmosphere, and the color scheme was fantastic. Peter Cushing as Baron Frankenstein was a brilliant role, as well.

-9/10.

neverending 07-09-2011 09:51 PM

Agreed on all counts! Great to see you dipping into the Hammer vault.

phantomstranger 07-10-2011 09:03 AM

As part of our monthly Bad Movie Nights a group of friends and I watched this awesome double feature:

"Frankenstein Conquers The World" (1965)

During WWII, a human heart taken from a certain lab in Europe (Dr. Frankenstein's) is kept in a Japanese lab, when it gets exposed to the radiation of the bombing of Hiroshima. The heart grows in size, mutates and sprouts appendages, and eventually grows into a complete body and escapes. Later, a feral boy with a certain physical deformity (a large head with a flat top) is captured by scientists who refer to the boy as Frankenstein. The creature grows to the height of 20 feet, escapes again, fights police and army, and is practically indestructible. Later, a reptilian monster goes on a rampage. Eventually the Frankenstein creature and the reptile face off in a terrible battle.

Phantom's Review: Only the Japanese would think of turning the Frankenstein monster into a giant and have him fight a fire breathing monster.
Silly, but lots of fun.

"Frankenstein Meets The Space Monster" (1965)

When an atomic war on Mars destroys the planet's women, it's up to Martian Princess Marcuzan and her right-hand man Dr. Nadir to travel to earth and kidnap women for new breeding stock. Landing in Puerto Rico, they shoot down a NASA space capsule manned by an android. With his electronic brain damaged, the android terrorizes the island while the Martians raid beaches and pool parties.

Phantom's Review: Truly one of the worst films of any kind ever made. A crap classic. A film so bad, that after it was over we had to open a window to let the stink out. In other words..perfect for "Bad Movie Night"

Geddy 07-10-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverending (Post 897205)
Agreed on all counts! Great to see you dipping into the Hammer vault.

I can't believe it's taken me so long, haha. I've been meaning to watch these flicks for years now. Gonna check out their version of Dracula tonight hopefully.

hammerfan 07-10-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geddy (Post 897235)
I can't believe it's taken me so long, haha. I've been meaning to watch these flicks for years now. Gonna check out their version of Dracula tonight hopefully.

My personal favorite is Taste the Blood of Dracula.

Geddy 07-11-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerfan (Post 897243)
My personal favorite is Taste the Blood of Dracula.

Awesome! I added it to my list, hope to get around to it soon.

roshiq 07-11-2011 01:01 PM

Though love all of them but I found Dracula has Risen from the Grave as the most entertaining one in the series and bit disappointed with the Prince of Darkness as Lee as Dracula has no single dialog in the film. But other than that it was another pure gem for sure.

hueyisme 07-12-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phantomstranger (Post 896373)
Barbara Steele was hot!

Ive had many immoral thoughts about her;)

hammerfan 07-19-2011 04:38 AM

The Beast of Yucca Flats and part of The Terror.

leezuki 07-20-2011 07:06 AM

i have just recently been watching alfred hitchcock boxset i brought ,with all his movies, some of his really early work i have never seen.

phantomstranger 07-20-2011 09:22 AM

"The Ghost And The Guest" (1943)
A newlywed couple spend their honeymoon in their "new" house instead of going to California. They are invaded by the police, a retired hangman, an escaped prisoner, a band of crooks and several dead bodies, all looking for something, either the crook or the loot hidden somewhere in the house. a humorous mystery follows.(or not).

Phantom's Review: Another attempt to create a "Ghost-Breakers' Style comedy/Mystery. While this film does have a few bright moments, for the most part it fall pretty flat. Cheaply made and broadly acted. There is some fun dialog and good exchanges by the leads, but for the most part the film really misses it's mark. Not the worst film ever made, but not hat great either.

_____V_____ 07-20-2011 10:02 AM

hammerfan 07-20-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _____V_____ (Post 898124)

I remember seeing that when it came out in the cinema!

Fearonsarms 07-20-2011 11:12 AM

I REALLY have to see that movie especially since I was so disappointed with the 2009 version.

hammerfan 07-20-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearonsarms (Post 898151)
I REALLY have to see that movie especially since I was so disappointed with the 2009 version.

I had no idea they did a remake. I just went on imdb.com to look it up. I find it amusing that Dean Stockwell was in the remake as well.

Fearonsarms 07-20-2011 02:27 PM

It is sad to see Dean Stockwell in it-I guess he has to take any work that comes his way.

hueyisme 07-20-2011 05:39 PM

Id like to see a decent version of a Lovecraft story, there hasent been anything worth watching as yet.

The Villain 07-20-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hueyisme (Post 898238)
Id like to see a decent version of a Lovecraft story, there hasent been anything worth watching as yet.

Check out The Call of Cthulhu. Its from 2005 so it doesnt count as a classic but its done like an old silent movie and its really good.