Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Compilations and Pastimes (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   The Sickest, Gorific, Disturbing and Controversial - HDC's "Visually Challenging" 100 (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30312)

The Flayed One 11-03-2008 08:00 AM

It all comes down to what disturbs you.

Rape?
Eating vomit or excrement?
Self mutilation of body parts?
Ritualistic torture murders?
Animal Cruelty?

These movies have all of these and more. It depends on what disturbs you in what context.

How would we do a rating system, __V__? This movie has made the list for: Nails through the penis:D

neverending 11-03-2008 08:25 AM

You could do a Joe Bob Briggs kind of thing: 10 dead bodies, 15 severed limbs, tongue slicing foo, vomit foo...

_____V_____ 11-03-2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Flayed One (Post 752830)
How would we do a rating system, __V__? This movie has made the list for: Nails through the penis:D

rofl...that would be a HUGE spoiler.

I dunno...its just a thought. Maybe a rating system - number of stars displaying the amount of disturbing content in it. But then, disturbing could mean both physical, gorific and sickening, OR mental, draining and affecting the psyche.

Mind you, Requiem of a Dream might score more stars than say, Stacy, because its a deep study of psychological downward spiral into becoming a total mess. So I am undecided about the exact criteria here.

The Flayed One 11-03-2008 10:24 AM

In all seriousness, I'll do some thinking about it.

PM me and let me know your ideas. Maybe we can come up with something.

Painfulldeath 11-03-2008 10:39 AM

Thank you for your input oh forefathers of HDC. I was just wanting to pick the brain of someone who had seen all of the movies. But I think that some type of countdown would be great. Your top 100 list was great so I would definitely trust the brains behind the judging.

The Flayed One 11-03-2008 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Painfulldeath (Post 752923)
Thank you for your input oh forefathers of HDC. I was just wanting to pick the brain of someone who had seen all of the movies. But I think that some type of countdown would be great. Your top 100 list was great so I would definitely trust the brains behind the judging.

I don't know that any of us has seen all of them. I'm at about 40 myself, though I have about ten of them laying around waiting to be watched.

One I can personally vouch for is Cutting Moments. I wrote the blurb for it in the HDC Hidden Gems list. Brilliant, ugly short film. I suggest you get Bucks Family Portraits, which has Cutting Moments and two other very strong shorts.

Painfulldeath 11-03-2008 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Flayed One (Post 752929)
I don't know that any of us has seen all of them. I'm at about 40 myself, though I have about ten of them laying around waiting to be watched.

One I can personally vouch for is Cutting Moments. I wrote the blurb for it in the HDC Hidden Gems list. Brilliant, ugly short film. I suggest you get Bucks Family Portraits, which has Cutting Moments and two other very strong shorts.

Ok. I'll add it to the others mentioned above. Maybe I should balance watching these movies with some comedy just to keep my sanity. Thanks.:)

Roderick Usher 11-22-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul the Monk (Post 761553)
I will second the call for a rating system. I recently watched one of the Guinea Pig films and chickened out after the first 30 minutes!

The title of the list is "The Sickest, Gorific, Disturbing and Controversial" what else does anyone need? Honestly. I don't really care for gore for gore's sake, so I won't bother trying to be a completist about this list. Just know that should you chose to watch a film from this list, don't say we didn't warn you.

Not all the films on the list will affect everyone the same way, but all the films contain an element that several judges ageed upon as "disturbing" - which is of course, a nebulous term. this of every film on this list as having a big yellow "WARNING - view at your own peril" sticker on them. That's all the more rating any of these films need.

If you want great films, go through the other lists (and I'm not saying there aren't some truly great films in this list) because these films are compiled purely for thier ability to make you cringe.

becky.horror 01-07-2009 03:09 PM

Say whether their funny, sick, torture, supernatural and then just rate them out of ten;

Inside - disturbing, gory 10/10
Irreverisble - rape, brutal 6/10
Murder Set Pieces (Uncut) - slasher 8/10
Seed - Serial killer 9/10
Audition - asian extreme T. Miike 9/10
Event horizon - scifi supernatural 8/10
Cure - japanese serial killer 8/10

and so on . . . . its the only way to get an overall idea of what everyone thinks, just sub genre it. You could do it by just simple types like slasher/ torture/ supernatural/ black comedy/ gore/ psychological etc.:)

becky.horror 01-07-2009 03:39 PM

Oh i completely forgot about Philosophy of a knife. 9/10 extreme torture but beautifully filmed. Very good film but only if you ve got a very strong stomach. Ive seen alot of disturbing films but this really did push to the extreme and because its so close to reality it becomes more than just another horror torture movie.

amstyle 02-17-2009 10:43 PM

Great list. I have alot of work to do.

Death Magnetic 03-21-2009 10:57 PM

very nice list....... i just got done watching inside and combat shock

pulpmonster 04-10-2009 10:54 PM

an intensely nauseating list.....you should all be ashamed for watching such filth. I personally would have included:
In a Glass Cage (1987)
Happiness (1998)
maybe
Goodbye Uncle Tom (1971)
....not officially horror, but these films will make you want to jump off a cliff.

Dante'sInferno 04-15-2009 09:28 AM

I must see everything on this list. :)

Gucci_Mane 05-31-2009 10:11 AM

Wow, this is awesome. I've only seen a few of these. I'll be sure to check out as many as I possibly can. :]

Bleedwalls 06-23-2009 10:38 AM

I cringed just looking at this list. Good job.

Entrails virgin really stuck out to me. Yikes! Can't get more specific than that.

SlashNgo 09-18-2009 12:25 PM

Nice List!

horrorchic 10-13-2009 10:38 PM

Appreciate the list. Always need to update my personal viewing list and your lists here always help out.

fortunato 12-16-2009 09:23 PM

I know it's constrained to 100, but von Trier's Antichrist would definitely make this cut.

Ferox13 12-17-2009 12:46 AM

So is Tumbling Dolls of Flesh of not on the list yet????

Elvis_Christ 12-17-2009 12:53 AM

Philosophy of a Knife should be in there IMO.

Ferox13 12-17-2009 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ (Post 839946)
Philosophy of a Knife should be in there IMO.

For sure.....

And Torched that I mentioned earlier..Also Psycho: The Snuff Reels.

ChronoGrl 12-27-2009 05:30 AM

I'd like to nominate Mum & Dad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../MumAndDad.jpg

Definitely had me cringing.

Ferox13 12-28-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChronoGrl (Post 840651)
I'd like to nominate Mum & Dad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../MumAndDad.jpg

Definitely had me cringing.

That film made me convince my GF to have a Christmas party next spring..

Love that flick..

Drew_Deranged86 12-29-2009 02:49 AM

Nice list, thank you guys I now have a few more on my to get list!!!!!!

Bastet 04-25-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortunato (Post 752695)
Probably either Salo, Cannibal Holocaust, or Man Behind the Sun, if it really matters.

If you think Salo is rough going-try reading the book. In order to finish it, I had to keep telling myself it's fiction. But in Truth, Its believed to be partly autobiographical. A really twisted book for those only of a strong disposition.

discodude 05-18-2010 08:27 AM

yeah salo im interested in,can get the 2disc in my hmv,but in the past they state uncut but ive since found out they aint!will post thread on this soon.are many subtitled?you saw a/u mordum,i spit on your corpse p**s on your grave or scrapbook?not seen mordum as think this may be to much for me but own the other two.

zwoti 05-18-2010 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discodude (Post 861153)
yeah salo im interested in,can get the 2disc in my hmv,but in the past they state uncut but ive since found out they aint!

salo 2 disc SE is uncut

PlagueBearer 05-21-2010 12:30 PM

Ahhh.. Suicide Club i love it - maybe not visual challenging compared to alot of the other titles. Actually i find the opening scene quite beatifull ( No! Im not suicidal :D ). And the touch of humour is necassary. A little bit twisted, but its from Japan so its ok.
Ok - I like suicide club, any tips on similar kind of film (No battle royale please)?

urdevil 08-30-2010 05:22 AM

Im late with one

I know the thread is pretty inactive but I would to offer Taxidermia. It has so many different nauseating ideas you might get a kick out of it. We have a dick being pecked by a rooster(hilarious and scary), guys who can shoot flames out of his dick:eek: Person doing the nasty with either a slaughtered pig. There are a lot of other things but the final act is one of the strangest and uncomfortable scenes Ive seen in a long time. I think the quality of the production is outstanding. The director knows his stuff. Some of the visuals are incredible. I hope you get a chance to see it.

Elvis_Christ 09-06-2010 03:37 PM

Taxidermia is a great film especially if you like dark humor. Have you seen Ex-Drummer? I recommend that one to anyone that hasn't seen it.

-----

The Ed Gein flick with Kane Hodder was terrible, the story had almost no resemblance to the actual events. B.T.K with Hodder was better but I'm not familiar with the events so maybe it won't appeal to those who are.

I quite enjoyed the one with Steve Railsback too.

My favorite film based (although not officially) on Gein is Deranged.

ChronoGrl 09-06-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ (Post 873665)
Taxidermia is a great film especially if you like dark humor. Have you seen Ex-Drummer? I recommend that one to anyone that hasn't seen it.

-----

The Ed Gein flick with Kane Hodder was terrible, the story had almost no resemblance to the actual events. B.T.K with Hodder was better but I'm not familiar with the events so maybe it won't appeal to those who are.

I quite enjoyed the one with Steve Railsback too.

My favorite film based (although not officially) on Gein is Deranged.

I found the movie Ed Gein with Railsback kinda boring - But it was 2 in the morning and I couldn't sleep - Maybe I'll give it another shot...

I'm really curious about B.T.K. - Even with not knowing the context, EC, was it any good?

I wonder if we should "redo" or offer up these Top 100s every few years. Beyond a doubt, Martyrs should be on here...

X¤MurderDoll¤X 09-06-2010 04:01 PM

I find serial killer movies to usually suck, I like the books though.

Elvis_Christ 09-06-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChronoGrl (Post 873668)
I'm really curious about B.T.K. - Even with not knowing the context, EC, was it any good?

I'm a sucker for serial killer flicks so I tend to punish myself with a lot of sub par shit. B.T.K wasn't anything amazing but enjoyable enough mainly for the novelty of seeing Hodder out of the hockey mask. I got a chuckle of how big the dude is in some of the shots especially since he's meant to be some normal guy next door type.

I'd recommend Ted Bundy (Matthew Bright directed Freeway which is dope IMO) or The Hillside Strangler if you haven't seen them. I basically buy/hire serial killer flicks hoping they'll be as good as those two.

...and of course I can't recommend VanBebber's The Manson Family enough (not a serial killer I know but this film is amazing).

ChronoGrl 09-06-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X (Post 873674)
I find serial killer movies to usually suck, I like the books though.

Love the books - I more enjoy the "100 Top Serial Killers" cheap reads that have just a page or two per... Good for someone with a short attention span to read before bed. :cool:

My boyfriend picked me up Ed Gein: Psycho a while back, but it was so poorly-written that I had to put it down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ (Post 873676)
I'd recommend Ted Bundy (Matthew Bright directed Freeway which is dope IMO) or The Hillside Strangler if you haven't seen them. I basically buy/hire serial killer flicks hoping they'll be as good as those two.

...and of course I can't recommend VanBebber's The Manson Family enough (not a serial killer I know but this film is amazing).

Will put those on my Netflix queue - I think you've mentioned Ted Bundy before... And I really do want to see The Manson Family... I thought that Helter Skelter was such a chilling read...

X¤MurderDoll¤X 09-06-2010 04:24 PM

helter skelter is my favorite.

Ferox13 09-09-2010 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChronoGrl (Post 873668)
I found the movie Ed Gein with Railsback kinda boring - But it was 2 in the morning and I couldn't sleep - Maybe I'll give it another shot...

I wonder if we should "redo" or offer up these Top 100s every few years. Beyond a doubt, Martyrs should be on here...

I thought the Railsback film wasn't bad...Deranged is still the best Gein based film imo...

I guess A Serbian film needs to be on the list now..

Elvis_Christ 09-09-2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferox13 (Post 873894)
I guess A Serbian film needs to be on the list now..

What did you think of that one?

Ferox13 09-09-2010 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ (Post 873896)
What did you think of that one?

I dunno really...

I guess I liked it - I was suprised how well acted it was and I loved the music. I think it was way smarter than I expected too - or at least smart enought to fool me...

I guess it has a lot to say about Serbia and Serbians...It was definally the most literal 'fucked from birth' metaphor I've seen..

Jokuc 02-04-2011 08:27 AM

Which one do you guys think is most disturbing?