Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Latest Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Last Seen Contemporary Movie (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63920)

realdealblues 09-14-2020 12:54 PM

Haven't been on here in a while and haven't had a chance to watch much horror in the last 5 years but occasionally I get to watch something new.

Anyway, finally saw Bone Tomahawk.

It was interesting. Don't know that it will have much rewatchability for me, but it was different than what I expected which was a nice change.

Bloof 09-14-2020 04:38 PM

THE DARKEST MINDS 2018

A movie more for the younger generation. Got it to watch with my granddaughter.

In a future world almost 90% of the children are killed by an incurable and rapid onset disease. The remaining 10% all develop a variety of " powers" and are kept in government run compounds where they can be controlled.

I rather enjoyed it. My granddaughter did too.

Sculpt 09-14-2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realdealblues (Post 1043658)
Haven't been on here in a while and haven't had a chance to watch much horror in the last 5 years but occasionally I get to watch something new.

Anyway, finally saw Bone Tomahawk.

It was interesting. Don't know that it will have much rewatchability for me, but it was different than what I expected which was a nice change.

Hey, great to hear from you, realdealblues! Yeah, I thought Bone Tomahawk was interesting, but I wouldn't watch it again.

realdealblues 09-15-2020 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1043664)
Hey, great to hear from you, realdealblues! Yeah, I thought Bone Tomahawk was interesting, but I wouldn't watch it again.

Thanks, it's been way too long. I'm so out of touch with what if anything is going on in the Horror world these days I figured I needed to get back on here and see if anyone was still around.

hammerfan 09-15-2020 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realdealblues (Post 1043672)
Thanks, it's been way too long. I'm so out of touch with what if anything is going on in the Horror world these days I figured I needed to get back on here and see if anyone was still around.

There's a few of us still around. And some good new folks.

There's been good and bad happening in the horror world. If you have Netflix, I recommend The Haunting of Hill House. If you have Shudder, I recommend Host.

Amaltheaunicorn2020 09-15-2020 07:11 AM

a

realdealblues 09-15-2020 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerfan (Post 1043673)
There's a few of us still around. And some good new folks.

There's been good and bad happening in the horror world. If you have Netflix, I recommend The Haunting of Hill House. If you have Shudder, I recommend Host.

Yep, good to see a few familiar faces are still around ::wink:: Thanks Hammer, I will check out both of them. A co-worked actually said I should check out "The Haunting Of Hill House" the other day. She also recommended me "The Terror" a while back (which I liked) so I will add that and Host to my watchlist.

Yeah, most of what I have seen in the Horror world has been pretty bad, as far as reading plots and looking at trailers and stuff over the last several years. Everything looks low budget and not in a good way. I've caught a few bigger name movies like "It", "Underwater", "The Meg", etc. and of course the more recent entries in TCM and Halloween, but that's about it in the last 5 years at least.

Ringo 09-15-2020 11:58 AM

Thumb resize.

5/10

I wasn't blown away by Train to Busan, but this was meh at best.
I think the zombie area needs a rest or something very similar to The Night of the Living Dead.

cheebacheeba 09-15-2020 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringo (Post 1043677)
Thumb resize.

5/10

I wasn't blown away by Train to Busan, but this was meh at best.
I think the zombie area needs a rest or something very similar to The Night of the Living Dead.

Have you seen either these?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9o9PKy5izA&vl=en
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l-yByZpaaM

TaeKwonZombie 09-16-2020 09:13 PM

Insidious...i saw that red lipstick demon on the website, had to watch it..

Amaltheaunicorn2020 09-17-2020 05:32 AM

e

Bloof 09-17-2020 07:23 AM

THE BARGE PEOPLE 2018

Two couples are set upon by mutant cannibals after they rent a barge for a weekend on the canal.

The monsters were a bit high school production-looking but the scenery was nice. I liked it.

ferretchucker 09-17-2020 11:18 AM

I'm Thinking of Ending Things

A friend of mine totally tricked me into watching this by flattering my ego - said he didn't understand it and wanted me to watch it, as my film degree would helped. I'm easy to manipulate.

That said, very glad I watched it. Masterclass in unsettling editing and a fantastic depiction of how our minds work, particularly when we're at breaking point. Basically a film of hundreds of metaphors. I suspect the dinner scene in particular was filmed and edited in the same way as Willem Dafoe questioning Patrick Bateman in American Psycho - filmed with several different acting styles/motivations, then patchworked together.

I won't rewatch any time soon - takes it out of you, but I highly recommend.

Spook 09-17-2020 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferretchucker (Post 1043695)
I'm Thinking of Ending Things

A friend of mine totally tricked me into watching this by flattering my ego - said he didn't understand it and wanted me to watch it, as my film degree would helped. I'm easy to manipulate.

That said, very glad I watched it. Masterclass in unsettling editing and a fantastic depiction of how our minds work, particularly when we're at breaking point. Basically a film of hundreds of metaphors. I suspect the dinner scene in particular was filmed and edited in the same way as Willem Dafoe questioning Patrick Bateman in American Psycho - filmed with several different acting styles/motivations, then patchworked together.

I won't rewatch any time soon - takes it out of you, but I highly recommend.

Huge Kaufman fan, and I'm super glad this is what we got after so many years between his last directorial effort. I liked how unsettling it was. I liked that I didn't quite get it after first viewing. But, most importantly, I liked that it had me thinking afterwards and that it made me want to watch the film again to pick up on certain things. I hadn't read any reviews going in, and I knew very little of the plot. The proper way to go into a movie. I think I loved it. I'm going to give it another day or so before I re-watch, but I'm definitely watching it again. Based on his previously written/directed efforts, wasn't expecting such a horror vibe. haha.

DeadbeatAtDawn 09-17-2020 06:15 PM

Killer Therapy, 2019. 7/10

Director: Barry Jay

Thumb resize.

The Devil All The Time, 2020. 7,5/10

Director: Antonio Campos

Thumb resize.

Welcome to the Circle, 2020. 6/10

Director: David Fowler

Thumb resize.

Ringo 09-18-2020 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheebacheeba (Post 1043678)

Not yet. #Alive is on my list on Netflix, plan to see it next week for sure.

TaeKwonZombie 09-18-2020 11:05 PM

Midsommar
Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark

Tommy Jarvis 09-19-2020 11:41 AM

Do You See Me Props to the people who did the score and sound effects. It really helped build up tension. The opening scene was scary too, but in all honesty, the further the film went, the less I saw it's relevancy into the story.

The story itself was a bit of a disappointment. Nothing really happens up until the very end (and even then it's not much, especially based on the first scene), so the scares are based on a few weird texts and a few sightings of a clown in the distance.

Maybe it was the filmmaker's intention to delve into the the territory of metoo and women who do not feel believed. How the fear of what actually happens is smaller than the fear of what might happen. That sort of thing. But then you want a main character you can sympathize with and that's a bit hard with someone who throws away tangible evidence and comes with a "I did my research"-line.

Sculpt 09-19-2020 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis (Post 1043725)
Do You See Me Props to the people who did the score and sound effects. It really helped build up tension. The opening scene was scary too, but in all honesty, the further the film went, the less I saw it's relevancy into the story.

The story itself was a bit of a disappointment. Nothing really happens up until the very end (and even then it's not much, especially based on the first scene), so the scares are based on a few weird texts and a few sightings of a clown in the distance.

Maybe it was the filmmaker's intention to delve into the the territory of metoo and women who do not feel believed. How the fear of what actually happens is smaller than the fear of what might happen. That sort of thing. But then you want a main character you can sympathize with and that's a bit hard with someone who throws away tangible evidence and comes with a "I did my research"-line.

Plus, why would there be only ONE clown in the closet?

TaeKwonZombie 09-19-2020 11:42 PM

Hereditary, another ari aster horror attempt.

FryeDwight 09-20-2020 02:29 AM

FLESH AND BLOOD:A HAMMER HISTORY (1997). Would have liked this to be a little longer, but quite enjoyable film of the beginnings of the company to the Little Studio that Could (after CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN and especially HORROR OF DRACULA) to the sad decline that seemed to be more about budgets and not keeping up to current trends. Although, to be honest, I really would not have wanted Hammer to try something in the TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE mode. Also impressed by the other avenues they explored; Comedies, War dramas, "PSYCHO" inspired mysteries and even some Pirate movies-got a copy of PIRATES OF BLOOD RIVER from VIDEO SCREAMS and will checking it out soon.

Many clips from the films and a lot of interview snatches with the talent behind and in front of the camera. What makes it melancholy for Me is the fact that SO MANY of them have passed away. ***1/2

DeadbeatAtDawn 09-20-2020 07:16 AM

A Night of Horror: Nightmare Radio, 2019. 7/10

Directors:
Oliver Park
Jason Bognacki
A.J. Briones
Joshua Long
Sergio Morcillo
Adam O'Brien
Luciano Onetti
Nicolás Onetti
Pablo S. Pastor
Matthew Richards

Thumb resize.

Antebellum, 2020. 6/10

Directors: Gerard Bush, Christopher Renz

https://img.over-blog-kiwi.com/400x2...b_8565fd_4.jpg

The Paramedic, 2020. 6/10

Director: Carles Torras

Thumb resize.

Bloof 09-20-2020 12:11 PM

THIS IS PARIS THE OFFICIAL DOCUMENTARY 2020

Its about Paris Hilton and we find out she suffered abuse at a bootcamp for teens.

Im not buying what she's selling.

DeadbeatAtDawn 09-20-2020 05:25 PM

Rent-A-Pal, 2020. 7/10

Director: Jon Stevenson

Thumb resize.

FryeDwight 09-20-2020 10:01 PM

I THINK I LOVE MY WIFE (2007). This Chris Rock film has several funny moments (especially in the ambulance), but the plot feels forced. Chris is married (to Gina Torres from FIREFLY/ALIAS) with children and a upscale job. Not as much sex as he would want, so he is staring at other women all day and finds his fidelity tested when an old friend's ex-girlfriend (Kerry Washington from SCANDAL) shows up. You think that just sitting down and talking to the wife about his feelings might help the situation instead of being manipulated by the shallow good time girl. **

hammerfan 09-21-2020 04:30 AM

We Summon the Darkness 5/10

ImmortalSlasher 09-21-2020 10:41 PM

Terminator 6 Dark Fate -

I remember hearing news about Dark Fate's opening at the time of the movie's release and spoiled it for myself back then. I'm glad I spoiled it too because I would have walked out. What Terminator 6 or Terminator Dark Fate is, is The Terminator version of Star Trek 2009. An early movie twist to attempt a reboot of the series. But unlike with how that new Star Trek series took 3 movies to flop and for fans to realize those movies were basically flashy garbage. This new Terminator won't even get a sequel considering its box office totals. If the people in charge were really creative, they would make a new cyberpunk movie. But of course they aren't and are basically lottery winners that try to cash in on a known film property.

Dark Fate is a barely passable action Terminator movie. I say action Terminator because that is basically what these movies are after the first two. The original two movies are not only two of the best sci-fi, horror, action movies but two of the best movies ever made. And they are cyberpunk movies as well. The original more than the second. But Terminator 2 still has its cyberpunk scenes and look. Nothing about Dark Fate says cyberpunk other than maybe one of the future attack scenes and the fact that the movie has robots. And that's the real shame that the people in charge of these movies don't get. They have been fine with making action Terminator movies not cyberpunk movies since Terminator 3.

I could write a book or graduate level thesis paper on what is wrong with all The Terminator movies after Terminator 2. It's not the actors fault in Dark Fate. It's the people behind the camera. Mackenzie Davis' role as Grace was the best part. But she was fine in the new Blade Runner as well, which is a good movie and worthy sequel. But it's like that rule of too many Black people in Walking Dead. It's a similar rule in Dark Fate. And if they just realized that they had a good actress to base a series on maybe they could have moved away from the pattern of the first two movies.

In the end, the Terminator series is for the most part dead now. I'm still going to play the game that came out last year. Supposedly that is pretty good. I did kind of enjoy the Sarah Connor TV show. But for every good episode there were a bunch of bad ones. Or episodes that showed the show's low budget.

I remember the T2 Infiltrator book being pretty good. Better than all the movies after Terminator 2 from what I remember. I still want to read the other two books in the series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T2_(novel_series)

There are far more comics than I remember.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Terminator_comics

I have to check my collection to see what I have. But the few I remember purchasing were ok. Also better than the movies after Terminator 2. There is a recent comic series that came out last year I think which I want to check out. And I'm still working on my Terminator display setup with this poster as the anchor.

Thumb resize.

But I do think that if you are going to continue Terminator properly it should be on the big screen. I really liked the 3D movie that was at Universal Studios. I saw that a bunch of times. But it was more an action thing than a real movie with a solid story.

I think what I'm going to do is write an outline for how Terminator should have continued after Terminator 2 if they wanted to make a trilogy. And Terminator deserves a good trilogy like Back to the Future or the original Star Wars series. I always thought James Cameron put clues in Terminator 2 for a potential sequel but no one used it yet. I don't think the T2 Infiltrator book used it. So I'm going to use it.

TaeKwonZombie 09-22-2020 12:39 AM

In The Mouth of Madness, love the weird monsters....::devil::::danger::::danger::::danger: :::danger::::danger::::danger::::danger::::devil:: ::devil::::devil::

DeadbeatAtDawn 09-22-2020 01:26 AM

The Devil Lives Here. 2015. 7/10

Directors: Rodrigo Gasparini, Dante Vescio

Thumb resize.

Amaltheaunicorn2020 09-22-2020 05:33 AM

a

Angra 09-22-2020 05:54 AM

Alone (2020) 7/10

Intense.

Ringo 09-22-2020 09:42 AM

Quote:

Thumb resize.

Saw it, it was decent, but reminded me of:

Rammbock https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1583356/
The Night Eats the World https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4266076/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

6/10

Angra 09-22-2020 10:54 AM

The Owners (2020) 7/10

Had potential to be a really good horror movie, but sadly it didn't manage to capitalize on the excellent setting and the old couple. Damn it.. Could have been really creepy.

Angra 09-22-2020 12:58 PM

Antebellum 7/10

Yet another white-people-are-the-scum-of-the-earth movie.

I'm hesistant to call it racist as fuuuuuck, but what I definitely will call it is really, really annoying. Not a BAD movie even though the story is ridiculously implausible with more holes than a swiss cheese.

TaeKwonZombie 09-22-2020 10:37 PM

Wes Craven's My Soul To Take, got a dvd that didn't have a scratch that skipped most of the movie this time lol .... it's not his best work, but i managed to enjoy it, a total drama horror......

Now I'm watching Tobe Hooper's Mortuary (2005)....another great horror director with an "interesting" movie hahaha

TaeKwonZombie 09-23-2020 12:56 AM

I, Zombie (1998)

Tommy Jarvis 09-23-2020 02:24 AM

Quote:

I've seen #alive. Good stuff. Relatively little gore by zombie standards, but characters that you care about, which already is a lot for this genre. Also pretty contemporary, hinting at a few interesting things when it comes to communication, isolation, social contact,...

The other one is going on my watchlist.

Ringo 09-23-2020 12:55 PM

Thumb resize.

Okish found footage spanish movie. Had some interesting moments, but overall not great.
What I like was the location.

5/10

DeadbeatAtDawn 09-23-2020 07:11 PM

You Were Never Really Here, 2018. 8/10

Director: Lynne Ramsay

https://64.media.tumblr.com/1ae93e9c...5xbo4_250.gifv

TaeKwonZombie 09-23-2020 10:37 PM

The Conjuring 2, supernatural action, gotta love the nun...