Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Latest Horror Movies (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Last Seen Contemporary Movie (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63920)

classic_horror_fan 04-10-2020 12:07 PM

Violence Gives Him Hope

This is a unique serial killer film featuring two of them who would kill somebody, then hide the dead body for the other to find it, while taking turns doing so. it is also about a local talk show host with weird but unique guests, but is unable to get an audience, and eventually calls it quits, then decides to join the mafia instead. His encounter with the serial killers begins after he finds a dead body in the back of his truck, not knowing where it came from, but is in a hurry to get to the studio for the filming of an episode, and does not call the police then. Later, he gets a visit from Orville, the serial killer looking for the dead body, then gets knocked out as Orville takes off with the dead body. Herman, the serial killer who killed and hid their last victim, gets a visit from a Jehovah's Witness, knocks him out, drags him into the kill room, and ties him to a chair to make him an upcoming victim. The Jehovah's Witness, however, manages to get through to Herman on how only God can forgive him for his sins, and how he can still repent and convert. After Herman repents and lets the Jehovah's Witness go, he then starts going door to door, spreading the Good Word, only to end up getting fed up with too many doors slamming in his face, then eventually snaps, turning back into a serial killer, figuring God will forgive him anyway when he asks for it.

This movie is in black and white format with occasional bright colored scenes. There are plenty of wild and intense graphic gun fights, over the top dark humor, suicide scenes, a very intense and detailed Russian Roulette scene, and even a long, weird but unique and intense scene in the Valley Of Humiliation, where it turns Orville, with it now being his turn to kill somebody and hide the body, chose the Bone Man to be his next victim. There is also a very intense scene with Herman smashing the head of one of his dead victims with a huge cinderblock, and the scenes where he goes door to door, trying to spread the Good Word, are hysterical. Even the beginning is very intense with Herman finding a dislocated foot in the back of his car, not knowing which victim it came from, and using the stars to help him decide who to kill next, before the beginning credits roll in big bright letters with a dark background and a very intense sounding soundtrack. Those who like the old school done right artsy and gory horror films should enjoy this one as well. ::cool::

Maila Munster 04-10-2020 01:10 PM

Like.Share.Follow. (2017), directed by Glenn Gers.
The Borderlands (2013), directed by Elliot Goldner.
Smiley (2012), directed by Michael Gallagher.

ImmortalSlasher 04-10-2020 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angra (Post 1041934)
Vivarium 7/10

I really like these kind of weird mystery flicks. The person who casted Jonathan Aris as the real estate agent is a genius. Too bad his character didn’t have more screen time, cuz he was hysterical.

I just read the wiki and it sounds really good. Like a Twilight Zone episode. You mentioning weird mystery made me look it up.

DeadbeatAtDawn 04-10-2020 04:28 PM

We Summon the Dark, 2019. 5/10

Director: Marc Meyers

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...2OuQA&usqp=CAU

Sea Fever, 2020. 6/10

Director: Neasa Hardiman

Thumb resize.

Angra 04-10-2020 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher (Post 1041937)
I just read the wiki and it sounds really good. Like a Twilight Zone episode.

Yes indeed and the story would probably have worked better as such.

FryeDwight 04-11-2020 03:33 AM

PET SEMETARY (2019)>>>>>>POSSIBLE SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Stephen King's book is really good and scary and while the 1989 film was hit or miss, there could not have been better casting than Fred Gwynne as Jud and the scene where Gage is killed is extremely well done. My daughter had been acting up that day I first saw it and after getting her to a nap, that scene truly hit home and pointed out how bad things could be.

This starts out OK, but the WICKER MAN bit when Ellie discover the Pet cemetery is quite contrived and a serious foulup by not showing the true and deep friendship Louis and Jud acquire over time; here it's almost like acquaintances that see each other every so often. AND, having Ellie killed instead of Gage just destroys any credibility this has-maybe the filmmakers thought being older, she might be more frightening. A ridiculous ending as well. *

Angra 04-11-2020 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FryeDwight (Post 1041947)
PET SEMETARY (2019)>>>>>>POSSIBLE SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Stephen King's book is really good and scary and while the 1989 film was hit or miss, there could not have been better casting than Fred Gwynne as Jud and the scene where Gage is killed is extremely well done. My daughter had been acting up that day I first saw it and after getting her to a nap, that scene truly hit home and pointed out how bad things could be.

This starts out OK, but the WICKER MAN bit when Ellie discover the Pet cemetery is quite contrived and a serious foulup by not showing the true and deep friendship Louis and Jud acquire over time; here it's almost like acquaintances that see each other every so often. AND, having Ellie killed instead of Gage just destroys any credibility this has-maybe the filmmakers thought being older, she might be more frightening. A ridiculous ending as well. *

Yet another why-bother remake.

Maila Munster 04-11-2020 06:03 AM

Phoenix Forgotten (2017), directed by Justin Barber.
The Houses October Built (2014), directed by Bobby Roe.
The Houses October Built 2 (2017), directed by Bobby Roe.

Some found footage horrors, quite good ones IMO.

Angra 04-11-2020 11:09 AM

Sea Fever 6-7/10

Well acted and quite fast paced. If only they had spend most of the time below the surface instead of above I would probably have liked this movie a whole lot more.

Swallow ?/10

Somebody spoil this movie for me. The story moved on so damn slow that I fell asleep within the first half hour and I’m not going to try watching it again. Still I’m curious about the endning tho.

Bloof 04-11-2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maila Munster (Post 1041954)
Phoenix Forgotten (2017), directed by Justin Barber.
The Houses October Built (2014), directed by Bobby Roe.
The Houses October Built 2 (2017), directed by Bobby Roe.

Some found footage horrors, quite good ones IMO.

Loved the first two you listed. Wasnt that crazy about T.H.O.B. 2 though.

Bloof 04-11-2020 04:43 PM

THE BONE BOX 2020?

A man robs graves to settle a huge gambling debt and starts to feel like he is being haunted by his victims.

It was ok, felt more like a Twilight Zone or some such.

Sculpt 04-11-2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angra (Post 1041961)
Sea Fever 6-7/10

Well acted and quite fast paced. If only they had spend most of the time below the surface instead of above I would probably have liked this movie a whole lot more.

Swallow ?/10

Somebody spoil this movie for me. The story moved on so damn slow that I fell asleep within the first half hour and I’m not going to try watching it again. Still I’m curious about the endning tho.

The butler did it. And the swallow gets away.

Angra 04-11-2020 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sculpt (Post 1041969)
The butler did it. And the swallow gets away.

Thank you.

Angra 04-11-2020 11:13 PM

We Summon the Darkness 3/10

Retarded story, dislikable characters and cringy dialogue. Awful movie.

An English Haunting 6/10

What worked was the setting, the score, the atmosphere and the performance by the young man in the lead.

What didn’t work so well was the execution of the story, the weird dialogue, the performances by anyone else than the young man and the grandpa who didn’t look creepy, just indian.

All in all the whole thing felt like a young directors first attempt to make a horror movie. Some things he knew how to do well, like setting up a creepy atmosphere, but then sadly ruin it with jump scares instead of continue the slow creepiness. But he got the right ingredients, the huge castle, the unsetteling music throughout and some good ideas for scary scenes and overall story.
But what the director obviously hasn’t learned yet is transforming a script into a movie, as the story just wasn’t told very well. Also the dialogue wasn’t very convincing either. Very unnatural. Also the characters actions was equally unconvincing. Nobody would’ve stayed in that castle more than a night, but somehow both the mom and son took it like champs.

FryeDwight 04-12-2020 02:03 AM

THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE (2001). Quirky Coen Brothers film that is a Noir film (in gorgeous Black and White) that throws in X FILES elements. Billy Bob Thornton is probably the biggest blank slate imaginable ("I just cut the Hair") and must smoke about 200 cigarettes before the film is over. In true Noir fashion, he tries to improve his lot and it all goes wrong. Good film, but just a little too languid and I found the ending unsatisfying. Worth seeing anddecent performances by BBT, Frances McDormand, James Gandolfini, a young Scarlett Johansen ("Heavens to Betsy, Birdie!") and Tony Shaloub as an incredibly rude conceited lawyer who seems to be making it up as He goes along. ***

Maila Munster 04-12-2020 02:39 AM

Evidence (2013), directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi.

It's more like a thriller than a horror, although I found it on the list of recommended found footage horrors. It's quite a mess, but still entertaining (possibly because of some nice twists in the end).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloof (Post 1041963)
Loved the first two you listed. Wasnt that crazy about T.H.O.B. 2 though.

I didn't have any expectations before watching "The Houses October Built" and I was surprised in a positive way. I know that for many people the sequel was unnecessary and obviously crap which I partially agree. I wasn't impressed - it was far from scary but.. with all the nonsense movies that are made nowadays, it was still quite fun and I wasn't bored watching it. ::wink::

Bloof 04-12-2020 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maila Munster (Post 1041977)
Evidence (2013), directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi.

It's more like a thriller than a horror, although I found it on the list of recommended found footage horrors. It's quite a mess, but still entertaining (possibly because of some nice twists in the end).

I didn't have any expectations before watching "The Houses October Built" and I was surprised in a positive way. I know that for many people the sequel was unnecessary and obviously crap which I partially agree. I wasn't impressed - it was far from scary but.. with all the nonsense movies that are made nowadays, it was still quite fun and I wasn't bored watching it. ::wink::

Malia, have you seen the found footage "Hell House LLC" 2015. Its the first one in a series of three. The other 2 are all right but i like the first one the best. You might like it. ::cool::

DeadbeatAtDawn 04-13-2020 12:28 AM

Wake of Death, 2004. 7/10

Director: Philippe Martinez

Thumb resize.

The Turning, 2020. 7/10

Director: Floria Sigismondi

Thumb resize.

Maila Munster 04-13-2020 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloof (Post 1041985)
Malia, have you seen the found footage "Hell House LLC" 2015. Its the first one in a series of three. The other 2 are all right but i like the first one the best. You might like it. ::cool::

Hey Bloof, I watched it today because of your recommendation. Actually:
Hell House LLC (2015), directed by Stephen Cognetti.
Hell House LLC III: Lake of Fire (2019), directed by Stephen Cognetti.

Unfortunately, I didn't have an opportunity to watch the second part but I like the other two. Even more, I loved the first one. ::wink:: It was surprisingly creepy. However, I must say that the third part was a bit of a letdown. I mean, it wasn't boring but I think that some scenes could be done better and more "convincing".

ImmortalSlasher 04-15-2020 01:16 AM

I just put a big Galaxy of Terror review in the 70s / 80s topic. I don't review here that often anymore since there isn't much discussion. Just watched movie posts. But just in case people don't check over there.

http://horror.com/forum/showpost.php...ostcount=41519

I'm more a fan of just having an overall last seen horror movie topic. But I think that was discussed before a few years ago when people were posting normal movies.

favabeans 04-15-2020 07:48 AM

Gretel and Hansel, 2020 - 8/10
Audition, 1999 - 3/10

I think my opinions on both of these are pretty unpopular.

Gretel and Hansel's slow burning nature and focus on atmosphere and tension appealed to my preferences. Also, dark magic is always something that interests me. Definitely not without problems though, the only performance I found worthy of merit was Alice Krige's.

I found Audition incredibly boring, the first hour and a half felt to me felt very cheesy and overly simple in plot. Even the final 20 minutes, where the gore and horror comes in, weren't doing it for me. I just didn't really find myself caring.

Maila Munster 04-15-2020 08:36 AM

Mark of the Devil (2020), directed by Diego Cohen.

I haven't seen a "possession" horror movie for quite a long time so I decided to refresh my memory. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece but I'm still disappointed. Such a waste of time. It was boring and full of poor special effects. The plot makes no sense as well. I feel as if someone wanted too much at once and it simply doesn't gel. At least, there are some nice Mexican landscapes shown with a drone.

hammerfan 04-16-2020 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maila Munster (Post 1042067)
Mark of the Devil (2020), directed by Diego Cohen.

I haven't seen a "possession" horror movie for quite a long time so I decided to refresh my memory. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece but I'm still disappointed. Such a waste of time. It was boring and full of poor special effects. The plot makes no sense as well. I feel as if someone wanted too much at once and it simply doesn't gel. At least, there are some nice Mexican landscapes shown with a drone.

Try the 1970 version with Udo Kier. Lord, was he hot when he was young!

urgeok2 04-16-2020 06:03 AM

Midsommar

This was the last horror film I watched.

This Ari Aster fella - (his first film was Hereditary) ... has an incredible grasp of the slow burn .. and the morbidly creepy.

He takes his time, does what few horror film makers do - develops his characters as people rather than simple chainsaw fodder.
He builds a sense of dread masterfully ... not with cheap jump out scares but by tapping into our brains finding fears we didn't even know we had.

Both of his films (so far) are the only horror flicks that left me feeling uncomfortably uneasy, but also exhilarated with the respect for a well made movie - something that's incredibly rare in the genre.

probably not for everyone...especially for those fans of the genre that measure the worth of a horror film by a slasher's teen body count.

hammerfan 04-16-2020 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urgeok2 (Post 1042085)

This Ari Aster fella - (his first film was Hereditary) ... has an incredible grasp of the slow burn .. and the morbidly creepy.

He takes his time, does what few horror film makers do - develops his characters as people rather than simple chainsaw fodder.
He builds a sense of dread masterfully ... not with cheap jump out scares but by tapping into our brains finding fears we didn't even know we had.

Both of his films (so far) are the only horror flicks that left me feeling uncomfortably uneasy, but also exhilarated with the respect for a well made movie - something that's incredibly rare in the genre.

probably not for everyone...especially for those fans of the genre that measure the worth of a horror film by a slasher's teen body count.

Let me ask you this: would someone who doesn't really care for gore like it? I'm good with psychological horror, not so much with gore anymore. Not that it bothers me, but, I don't consider it to be horror. Just gross.

urgeok2 04-16-2020 10:37 AM

there definitely is some pretty shocking gore .. but that isn't the centre of the horror .. it enhances the horror.

hard to explain i guess. it's not slasher 'lets see how crazy each kill can be' kind of gore....

but it's pretty intense in one particular part

Ferox13 04-16-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerfan (Post 1042086)
Let me ask you this: would someone who doesn't really care for gore like it? I'm good with psychological horror, not so much with gore anymore. Not that it bothers me, but, I don't consider it to be horror. Just gross.

Kinda strange since you just recommended Mark of the Devil in your previous post...

hammerfan 04-16-2020 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferox13 (Post 1042088)
Kinda strange since you just recommended Mark of the Devil in your previous post...

I saw that when it came out, and I haven't watched it again. But, it kinda sticks with you, you know? ::big grin::

Tommy Jarvis 04-16-2020 12:07 PM

The Doll is a decent Indonesian film in the vain of Annabelle and The Conjuring. The tension is enjoyable and there's a good twist near the end.

Well recommended.

Maila Munster 04-16-2020 12:18 PM

The Cave (La Cueva) (2014), directed by Alfredo Montero.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerfan (Post 1042081)
Try the 1970 version with Udo Kier. Lord, was he hot when he was young!

That rings a bell... I will have to watch it when the occasion arises. Btw, I've seen Udo Kier lately in Iron Sky: The Coming Race (2019) and he still looks well! ::wink::

FryeDwight 04-16-2020 11:58 PM

QUILLS (2000). Incredible production values are hampered by a listless script about The Marquis De Sade's attempts to keep his material available to the public, even if it's from the confines of an asylum. **

Amaltheaunicorn 04-17-2020 10:13 AM

[I

favabeans 04-17-2020 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urgeok2 (Post 1042085)

I just watched Midsommar for the first time today, and totally agree with you about Ari Aster. I love the way he builds tension and creates real human relationships before bringing in the more obvious/explicit horror. Both Midsommar and Hereditary are films that really stick in the brain, and I almost thought I was really tripping for parts of Midsommar.

ImmortalSlasher 04-17-2020 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ma -

First thought is that this is probably in the top 5 Blumhouse horror movies. It's tough to do a review without spoiling it. But I'll say that the events that seem to be popular in the United States, well the villain in this movie has more than enough reasons. I really believe that treat people like you want to be treated rule. But some don't. And if they don't, you really should stay away from them as many times bad things come back. And they come back even worse.

Ma is like a really good LMN movie. I thought the scene with the kids attempting to find someone to buy them alcohol was hilarious. I remember a few people I knew in High School attempting to find people to buy them Playboy magazines. But it's odd as I didn't drink till I was 21 as I thought the law was 21 to buy and drink alcohol. I had many chances before but never did. But these High School kids are jumping to drink and smoke. And in the movie, it's like giving candy to babies.

There are a few strange gaps in the movie that I wanted to know the answers to. I guess that's why Ma is still an LMN type movie. But horror fans might enjoy this one. I think this was sold as a horror movie in commercials. I would say it's a horror / thiller type movie. It's funny too and Octavia Spencer is great as Ma.

DeadbeatAtDawn 04-18-2020 05:26 AM

Evil River, 2018. 7/10

Director: Marco Rosson

Thumb resize.

Abrakadabra, 2018. 8/10

Directors: Luciano Onetti, Nicolás Onetti ::love::

https://i1.wp.com/bloody-disgusting....00%2C240&ssl=1

Malevolence 3: Killer, 2018. 8/10

Director: Stevan Mena

Thumb resize.

I love Martin Bristol, would love to see these films continue.

Ferox13 04-18-2020 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerfan (Post 1042089)
I saw that when it came out, and I haven't watched it again. But, it kinda sticks with you, you know? ::big grin::

Did you use the vomit bag

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/GOoAA...PAM/s-l225.jpg

Bloof 04-19-2020 05:50 AM

DARK LIGHT 2019

A woman and her young daughter are terrorized by something in the woman's childhood home.

It was ok. The mother inexplicably turns into Sarah Conner with a cash and weapon stash and the daughter was a bit "robotic".

Maila Munster 04-19-2020 09:09 AM

Haunt (2019), directed by Scott Beck, Bryan Woods.

One of those movies that is nice to watch, but only once, I guess.
It reminds me of Escape Room (2019) a little bit. Quite fun and gory.

Oculus (2013), directed by Mike Flanagan.

It's a twisted ghost story with eerie atmosphere. I've heard lots of praises about this movie. I wasn't that excited but I think it's a fine supernatural flick for those who are into such things.

The Crucifixion (2017), directed by Xavier Gens.

I'm not much into "exorcism" movies, but this one was just... bland. Quite predictable and not interesting enough to keep me focused till the end.

Angra 04-19-2020 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloof (Post 1042131)
DARK LIGHT 2019

A woman and her young daughter are terrorized by something in the woman's childhood home.

It was ok. The mother inexplicably turns into Sarah Conner with a cash and weapon stash and the daughter was a bit "robotic".

Started out alright, but the rest of the movie was just the same things happening over and over again. Lost interest halfway through.

3/10

Bloof 04-19-2020 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angra (Post 1042137)
Started out alright, but the rest of the movie was just the same things happening over and over again. Lost interest halfway through.

3/10

I did like the actress that played the mother. Would like to see her in more stuff.