Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Comics (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What comic are you reading at the moment? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30923)

SamCostello 11-12-2007 04:26 PM

Cerberus Vol. 12: Guys – Continuing the great, crazy series. A really interesting start to this volume, with about 40 pages of Cerberus just being drunk and self-pitying. The things this series does continue to be fascinating at every turn.

Drifting Classroom Vol. 8, by Kazuo Umezu. A slightly down installment of the story of a grade school that falls through time into a post-apocalyptic future. Still, a slightly down installment here is better than most other comics going.

Sam

Phalanx 11-12-2007 06:57 PM

Is he that little ardvaark thing?
I've never read that beyond issues here and there....good as an ongoing?

I might reccomend the BONE comic if you like ^that^ though.

I'm reading Agent X at the moment, which I'm not altogether impressed by...only really reading through it as I understand there's some small link to Deadpool, which I've just finished the 69 issue series of (which also was pretty much VERY up and down in quality towards the latter half)...and I like the character, so reading this before I get into CABLE/DEADPOOL.
Might have a look at soldier x too, cables last appearance prior to the crossover series.

Yellow Jacket 11-26-2007 05:20 PM

Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash #1

Geddy 11-26-2007 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket (Post 650214)
Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash #1

How is it? I've been meaning to go out to get some new comics, I have'nt gone in ages.

Yellow Jacket 11-27-2007 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geddy (Post 650279)
How is it? I've been meaning to go out to get some new comics, I have'nt gone in ages.

It's pretty cool so far. Not too much goes down, but enough to get the blood boiling. We get two kills by Jason, Freddy doing his Mrs. Voorhees impression again (this time to convince Jason to get the Necronomicon), and an appearance by Ash at the end. I can't wait for issue #2!

Geddy 11-27-2007 03:26 PM

Cool, I'll try to get a few issues.

ferretchucker 12-29-2007 02:24 AM

simpsons comic #90 It was my first one.

The Vault of Horror 12-31-2007 08:43 PM

Mythos #1. It's this great new series from Marvel that seems to be all about retelling origin stories. Of course, the first one is Fantastic Four. Oh, and it's painted.

Geddy 01-02-2008 03:07 AM

Ultiamate Spiderman Volume 11: Carnage.

THE VAMPIRE 01-06-2008 04:35 PM

THE PUNISHER is the best comic book

Phalanx 01-06-2008 10:20 PM

Ha, yeah...torturing barracuda by attaching jumper leads to his nuts was pretty good...Although, just HOW invincible he seems to be is getting kinda stupid.

The Captain America comic is awesome right now, it's been one of marvels best since the death...

Again, the most current amazing spiderman (is it 545?), highly reccomended.

THE VAMPIRE 01-06-2008 10:50 PM

Yeah,Barracuda was an asswhole,but i really liked the way he killed Nicky Cavella,that one was a psycho

Psycom5k 01-22-2008 02:09 PM

WOrking on the Berserk manga. Its a great series, and I'm up to issue 222 other than that I haven't had time or extra cash to go to the comic shop, and my stack is getting pretty big, but since the owner is a friend of mine, he just keeps collecting them for me. He's a great ghuy, and hes gives me a discount.

Phalanx 01-22-2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

WOrking on the Berserk manga. Its a great series, and I'm up to issue 222 other than that I haven't had time or extra cash to go to the comic shop, and my stack is getting pretty big, but since the owner is a friend of mine, he just keeps collecting them for me. He's a great ghuy, and hes gives me a discount.
Played a Dreamcast game of that a while back...Bloody...
Also, if you want info on how to just well, get comics for free, let me know.

Reading up on the last few issues of cable/deadpool here.
Then might try "the all new atom", which I have the first few issues of...but I don't think I'm gonna like it.

Psycom5k 01-22-2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phalanx (Post 661046)
Played a Dreamcast game of that a while back...Bloody...

Oh yeah... you should read the manga, not only is it bloody, but its really perverse at times.

Quote:

Also, if you want info on how to just well, get comics for free, let me know.

I'll send you a pm

Quote:

Reading up on the last few issues of cable/deadpool here.
Then might try "the all new atom", which I have the first few issues of...but I don't think I'm gonna like it.

Man, thats one of my favorite series, but not because of Cable, Deadpool is my favorite Marvel character. I need to get/read the last few issues of the series. BTW, Cable/Deadpool is getting cancelled, and Deadpool is gonna get his own series again. SO yay for that.
And your talking about DC's Atom right? I never really liked him. I need to read up on JLA/Jas again, I haven't read those in a few months, and I gotta finish the Green Arrow series, I've read almost everyone of them, and I need to read the Wedding Issue too.

Phalanx 01-22-2008 05:55 PM

Yeah reading the atom is kind've like...er, whatever.

Quote:

Man, thats one of my favorite series, but not because of Cable, Deadpool is my favorite Marvel character. I need to get/read the last few issues of the series. BTW, Cable/Deadpool is getting cancelled, and Deadpool is gonna get his own series again. SO yay for that.
Yeah, apparently both characters are getting their own titles again, although the deadpool one is not rock solid as yet.
He's at the moment going to be popping up here'n there (aside from the remaining issues of c&d) in wolverine titles, as he's accepted a contract on wolverine...the last issue of wolverine origins was pretty funny...

Quote:

I need to read up on JLA/Jas again, I haven't read those in a few months, and I gotta finish the Green Arrow series, I've read almost everyone of them, and I need to read the Wedding Issue too.
The JLA/JSA titles have their ups and downs...mostly good since the relaunch of both though.
Yeah, I finished the green arrow title, kinda pissed that it ended...but, the black canary/green arrow series that follows is thus far pretty good.

Psycom5k 01-22-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phalanx (Post 661070)
Yeah reading the atom is kind've like...er, whatever.

Agreed

Quote:

Yeah, apparently both characters are getting their own titles again, although the deadpool one is not rock solid as yet.
He's at the moment going to be popping up here'n there (aside from the remaining issues of c&d) in wolverine titles, as he's accepted a contract on wolverine...the last issue of wolverine origins was pretty funny...

Hmm, I've heard that its a definate that hes getting his own series, especially with the fact that he might be getting a movie of his own.

Quote:

The JLA/JSA titles have their ups and downs...mostly good since the relaunch of both though.
Yeah, I finished the green arrow title, kinda pissed that it ended...but, the black canary/green arrow series that follows is thus far pretty good.

Yeah I am pissed that it ended, that was my favorite DC series.
On the other hand, I would have to kinda agree with you on the JLA/JSA titles, I think since they have been relaunched they started out awesome and have generally been getting better.

Phalanx 01-22-2008 06:25 PM

Quote:

Hmm, I've heard that its a definate that hes getting his own series, especially with the fact that he might be getting a movie of his own.
I know he's set to appear (not sure if as deadpool or wilson) in the wolverine origin movie.

Psycom5k 01-22-2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phalanx (Post 661074)
I know he's set to appear (not sure if as deadpool or wilson) in the wolverine origin movie.

No, I know about that, but I mean they are, or were discussing giving him his own movie.

SamCostello 02-03-2008 06:45 AM

Dragon Head Vol. 6 – A somewhat blah entry in the post-apocalyptic survival manga as the series heads towards its conclusion.

Sam

Phalanx 02-05-2008 04:52 PM

Yeah psycom5k, deadpool is getting his own series, as you said.
Ther werent initially going to do it, just a cable series with deadpool appearances in that and wolverine, but on the basis of sales/fans on the cable/deadpool series, guess they figures he's another cash cow to throw into his own comic, again.

The events of "messiah x" make me think the new cable series is gonna be pretty good...

Psycom5k 02-05-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phalanx (Post 664617)
Yeah psycom5k, deadpool is getting his own series, as you said.
Ther werent initially going to do it, just a cable series with deadpool appearances in that and wolverine, but on the basis of sales/fans on the cable/deadpool series, guess they figures he's another cash cow to throw into his own comic, again.

The events of "messiah x" make me think the new cable series is gonna be pretty good...

I hate Cable, he's so boring. I won't be reading that unless somebody tells me its like the next Infinite Crisis. Although I will be reading the new Deadpool comic religiously. He may be a cashcow but hes MY cashcow damnit!

Phalanx 02-05-2008 05:32 PM

I like the character and followed the first series and the crossover series...but I have to admit I only liked certain storylines in cable/deadpool, and the deadpool ongoing series, well...kinda felt like the entire last third of that was shit...but I stuck it out.

What they NEED to do, is make deadpool and ongoing MAX series...let it get dark and bloody as a comic about a freelance assassin/merc should be...I'd also like to see the character on the very edge of sanity with some really dark tales to be told...I think the MAX brand would work very well in this case.

As for cable, he's had his moments...I always preferred that X-Man title to his though, same character really, different spin. I liked cable in x-force, but looks like that won't be much of a possibility now.
The cable character, I think, is better used sparingly, not as a spotlight character, but hey that can always change if there's some truly good stories/writing out there.

The new cable series looks to be a post apocalyptic version of lone wolf and cub.
Since I get 'em free, I'll be checking both out.

Disastermind 02-06-2008 04:31 PM

28 Days Later: The Aftermath

Geddy 02-09-2008 11:45 PM

Hellboy Volume 2: The Right Hand Of Doom.

SamCostello 02-10-2008 05:40 AM

Just finished Dragon Head Vol. 7 – I know manga is decompressed, but I suspect a good editor could have cut this in half and still kept all the important and good scenes.

Sam

Geddy 02-16-2008 11:15 AM

Action Comics Issues 855 - 857.

_____V_____ 02-17-2008 08:11 PM

Started on the Infinity Crisis a couple days back...its good till now.

wookie_x 02-22-2008 11:25 PM

There's an amusing indie comic out there I'm reading called Last Blood. After the zombie apocalypse, humanities best hope for survival are the vampires.

Geddy 02-23-2008 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wookie_x (Post 667816)
There's an amusing indie comic out there I'm reading called Last Blood. After the zombie apocalypse, humanities best hope for survival are the vampires.

I've only read the first issue of this but I enjoyed it. Hopefully I'll pick up the trade when (and if) it's released.

Reading Hellboy Weird Tales Volume One.

clawfoot 03-08-2008 03:39 PM

just finished Uzumaki - beautifully detailed Japanese horror comic

Phalanx 03-08-2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

just finished Uzumaki - beautifully detailed Japanese horror comic
...Yup, tracked that down after seeing the movie they based off it, the comic was a little more disturbing in some ways, but the visuals of the movie were a thing of excellence.

Just done reading my weekly comics, which was a lot...the new cable #1 was quite good, heh, that's all that really comes to mind, guess that says a lot.

Doc Faustus 03-11-2008 06:19 AM

Will Eisner's A Contract with God. It's amazing. Comicbook realism since has been a pale, watered down imitation.

Phalanx 04-16-2008 10:28 PM

Just done reading the latest issue of the current run of DYNAMITES "Army of Darkness."
Personally, I haven't really enjoyed many of the AOD comics prior to this one.
The AOD ones, the "vs" titles, the adaptations...aside from the novelty, I just did not like them.
So this second "ongoing" series comes out, and it's actually a fresh kind've twist that the former series haven't offered. The general storyline flows a bit better as well, and in all honesty I much prefer the simpler art to the weirdness I've seen in the former series.
I don't put a lot of stuff about ALL the comics I read in here, but when I got done reading this issue, I stopped and thought about how much I'd liked this series thus far...I'd definately recommend it.

The "vs marvel zombies" series was funny, but not too great...

So yeah, this one's still running, and there's been Wildstorms "freddy vs jason vs ash" recently too...this was yknow...not bad, just not really "AOD/ED" in theme, more for a fan of the slashers there, I think.

One really good read I've had lately too, is the actual "Evil Dead" comic by Dark Horse- taking place prior to/during the events of the first film with new dialogue/narrative, GREAT art, the best ever in one of these comics, and some pretty neat little twists on the original story. I would hope that if ever there's a "remake" film as rumoured, whoever did it would pay the respect to the subject matter that the team on this comic does.

The_Return 04-19-2008 12:27 PM

Reading through League of Extraordinary Gentlemen TPB, Vol. 1

This is pretty cool, but weaker than most Moore stuff that I've read. Still, that says a lot - Moore is a genius, and even though this isn't on par with his masterworks its still a really cool book.

Phalanx 04-19-2008 07:26 PM

Yeah, I didn't get that into the first series, but really liked the second. (you should try that)
Even so, his work is always worthy of a read thru, this was by no means a bad book, and always retained the interest - you just can't go in expecting something like you've seen before, it requires more attention I feel...great read over a rainy day, tea/coffee, music in the bg, worked for me.

Assertion 04-22-2008 01:05 PM

Watchmen, JTHM, and Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service. I still can't forget that damn 'flusher" dialogue from the johnny book.

Phalanx 04-22-2008 01:16 PM

I downloaded a copy f the firt issue of "sandman", a story called "The sleep of the just".
Hm...interesting kind've concept with the plot there and how sandman came to the mortal worlds attention...I'm not sure where it'll go from here though...I might grab up to issue 5 and see how it goes. The art is pretty nice for its time, with a lot of unique aspects.

I've thought about reading the original witchblade and darkness series as well, but don't know how good they'll ever be...

GorePhobia 04-30-2008 08:46 AM

I need all you comic fans help!

I am participating in a Comic Book Hero Draft and I need to come up with a theme for my team but I am stumped.

You need to draft the following:

1 Marvel Character
1 DC Character
1 Independent Hero (Vertigo, Wildstorm, and Icon count as independent companies.)
And then two others of our choice.

So what would you do?

Phalanx 05-02-2008 12:29 AM

Quote:

1 Marvel Character - Deadpool

1 DC Character - Simon Dark

1 Independent Hero - Grifter
...re - the "other" thread/Venom
He was a spider-man villain for some time, but has also done some pretty heroic stuff since then, and prior to Brocks illness, was predominately on the "good" scale, at least, as much so as say, the punisher...Just my take, and that's assuming you weren't talking about the "current" joke of a Venom that's massacred two villain/heros into a shallow character.
I've got hopes for Brock making a comeback because he had actually become a pretty interesting character, and had some changes in personality.