Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Horror Filmmakers (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Favorite horror directors? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67771)

Repo'd 11-06-2016 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerfan (Post 1021547)
Good lord! How could I forget him?! *face palm*

It did seem like an obvious choice. ::big grin::

hammerfan 11-06-2016 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Repo'd (Post 1021549)
It did seem like an obvious choice. ::big grin::

::big grin::

ZimrMusic 12-05-2016 09:51 PM

James Wan! Conjuring is a classic. I like the settings and atmosphere

bwydeven 12-06-2016 03:45 PM

James Wan

It's really hard to find a good horror film these days and I'm grateful that James Wan has really stirred the pot and raised the bar on the paranoramal subgenre of horror.

I also was really impressed with Mike Flanagan's "Ouija: Origin of Evil" and "Hush." He appears to be taking on the paranormal while Wan is doing the DC universe.

thisisallnew 12-07-2016 11:13 AM

Directors

Clive Barker... you didn't mention him..

Roiffalo 12-08-2016 10:03 PM

Hmmmm would probably have to say the directors of my favorite films in general. Without the directors it wouldn't have been possible to like them as much as I do. So:

Joe Dante
Lowell Dean
Wes Craven
Clive Barker
John Landis
Alfred Hitchcock
Steven Spielberg
Tobe Hooper
Sean S. Cunningham
Steve Miner

Umm... about all I can think of at the moment.

seanbreathnach 12-12-2016 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killah Kane (Post 1021414)
Who are your favorite horror directors?

For me I must say that it includes David Cronenberg, John Carpenter, Wes Craven, James Wan, Alfred Hitchcock, Rob Zombie, George A. Romero, Sam Raimi, Eli Roth, and Adam Green. I'm probably forgetting some right now.

Yeah, you've pretty much nailed them there, though I'd add Lynch in there even though he's not a 'horror' director per-se, but he does have some great horror moments in his films. And I'm not a huge fan of Roth.

And I love Mike Flanagan's work too - he really knows how to create a creepy vibe.

Seen a short by Heidrik a Heygum called "Skuld" there the other day - amazing work. Love to see a feature length horror from him.

Zero 01-15-2017 03:19 PM

Hard to see any of the current crop living up to the masters of the 70s - like Wes Craven.

TheUltimateDreamWarrior 01-17-2017 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killah Kane (Post 1021414)
Who are your favorite horror directors?

For me I must say that it includes David Cronenberg, John Carpenter, Wes Craven, James Wan, Alfred Hitchcock, Rob Zombie, George A. Romero, Sam Raimi, Eli Roth, and Adam Green. I'm probably forgetting some right now.

Wes Craven, but Alfred Hitchcock is no doubt a master. There is new age horror that I like but I wouldn't consider Eli Roth or Adam Green among my favorites. James Wan seems to know what he's doing.

I know he isn't necessarily a horror director but as far as horror creators go I think Robert Kirkman is at the top of his game right now with The Walking Dead (2003 - Present) comics. I've read up on the comic books and they far surpass the show by miles.

Wes will always be my favorite director. My two favorite horror films are People Under the Stairs (1991) and A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984). I love that man's philosophies on life. His work has intrigued me ever since I watched an interview with him at the end of the Nightmare on Elm Street VHS I use to have as a kid.