Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Comics (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What comic are you reading at the moment? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30923)

cheebacheeba 05-27-2011 07:18 PM

I've been collecting I, Zombie as well though I have yet to read past the first issue - it's not that I don't like it, far from it, I just think it will be a great story worth reading in a large chunk.
Horror fans would probably really like this one.

Deniscomix 06-01-2011 09:43 AM

Yeah, I'm definetly glad I read it in a trade rather than issue format. The couple individual issues I have read have been pretty stand alone though. There's one issue, it might be the most recent, that's drawn by Gilbert Hernandez and is a characters backstory, that was really good.

The_Return 06-01-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheebacheeba (Post 892976)

One more I thought I would throw out there to read as a collected edition, is "Irredeemable"....

I grabbed the first issue of that on Free Comic Book Day this year...been dying to check out the rest.

cheebacheeba 06-01-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

I grabbed the first issue of that on Free Comic Book Day this year...been dying to check out the rest.
Yeah I thought that was pretty clever the FCBD thing to showcase not only new stuff but existing titles as well.
All I can say is, it just gets better and better.
Such a damn good read.

Weapon X 06-06-2011 12:26 PM

Birds of Prey.

Elvis_Christ 06-14-2011 11:48 PM

Read these this afternoon...

http://images.darkhorse.com/covers/300/13/13275.jpg http://horrorhavenreviews.files.word...oxart_160w.jpg http://axiomsedge-scifi.com/wordpres...-1-196x300.jpg

Weapon X 06-21-2011 06:38 AM

Of the above ^ Screamland is great. Nerdy stuff, good read.

Elvis_Christ 06-21-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weapon X (Post 895428)
Of the above ^ Screamland is great. Nerdy stuff, good read.

The art is way better this time round. Didn't like the 2008 version. But yeah it's great stuff that would make a really interesting movie.

iSeymore 06-23-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geddy (Post 622722)
I'm reading through The Dark Knight Returns right now, it's pretty damn good.

I wasn't a fan of that graphic novel, it was something about the artwork that really drove me to insanity.

I was just reading Friday the 13th volume one and Friday the 13th book two.

Weapon X 06-30-2011 07:43 PM

Weird Tales: The 21st Century.

Weapon X 07-02-2011 08:12 PM

At The Mountains of Madness. Worth a read.

http://www.shinyshelf.com/wp-content...-mountains.jpg

Geddy 07-06-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheebacheeba (Post 893702)
Yeah I thought that was pretty clever the FCBD thing to showcase not only new stuff but existing titles as well.
All I can say is, it just gets better and better.
Such a damn good read.

Trying to hunt down a copy of the fourth volume for this now, actually. One of the coolest comics I've read in a long ass time.

Re-reading Arkham Asylum currently.

The_Return 07-09-2011 05:29 AM

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/be...2008/311-1.jpg

Just started, but so far I love it. The art is just fantastic.

More of a graphic novel than a "comic" per se, but also read Nicolas by Pascal Girard recently...quick read, but kind of heart-wrenching and beautifully simple.

http://www.drawnandquarterly.com/ima...8e9a0ac0eb.png

cheebacheeba 07-13-2011 05:22 PM

Green Lantern #67
Conclusion of the "War of the Green Lanterns".
I'm only mentioning this for one particular epic event I've been hoping would happen for some years, spoiler below
Thaal Sinestro - Welcome back to the GL Corps.
Finally. If Hal Jordan can shrug off becoming a supervillain, this character sure deserves a shot at redemption. I have *always* liked him both on the hero and villain sides, he's one of the more complex characters in the GL universe, and this is just awesome news, it's so good to see him find his way again

For those that don't want spoilers, read the issue, it won't disappoint.
Surprise ending to boot.

The_Return 07-31-2011 05:42 PM

Just discovered a bargain bin at one of my favourite comic shops...been picking up a ton of random back issues. Just random Marvel/DC stuff for the most part, nothing too exciting - but I've realty found myself attached to the Legends of the Dark Knight series from the 90's. All self-contained, 2-5 issue Bat stories by different writers/artists...there's some great stuff.

So far I've read Shaman (Dennis O'Neil) and Gothic (Grant Morrison), and I probably have another half-dozen right now that I'm really pumped to get into. Can't believe I didn't know about this series before...

cheebacheeba 07-31-2011 11:38 PM

TopCow/Image title "Echoes".
Pretty twisted stuff...really cool story though, perhaps one of the best psychological horror titles I've read in quite some time.

leezuki 08-13-2011 04:52 AM

freaks of the heartland, steve niles very good read.

semene 08-15-2011 12:40 AM

I'm rereading Uzumaki. It's so great :D

semene 08-15-2011 12:41 AM

I didn't even know there was a graphic novel for At the Mountains of Madness! It looks pretty <3 I'll have to find a copy.

leezuki 08-15-2011 05:35 AM

i read dawn of the dead today, was jusr like watching the movie really.

cheebacheeba 09-10-2011 10:40 PM

Two of the "New 52" titles from DC.
Not sure how I feel about this apparent retconning of the entire DC line, considering some of the titles were at really great points before they've gone ahead and done this - though, I have to say thus far what I've seen holds the interest well enough.
I've thus far read the new DETECTIVE and ACTION #1s.
What they're doing is kind of reminiscent of Marvels "Ultimate" line, but probably more parallel to the "Heroes Reborn' titles of the 90's.
Not too sure if they'll just keep things this way or re-establish everything and kind of work it into the standing continuity...quite strange that DC seems to be doing this with every title.
Action sees a very different side of Superman, whereas DETECTIVE has maybe the best first issue I've seen in some time (if you get one of the two, my reco is this) I don't think fans of the series would be disappointed by either.

Also read the latest "Sweet tooth" which I think has fallen rather flat for a while now.

The_Return 09-27-2011 10:21 AM

I also just read those 2 from New 52...wasn't too impressed with either, but wasn't exactly disappointed either.

I don't really bother to keep up with current comics so I can't say if they're any better/worse than anything else that's been going on lately - I prefer catching up on all the classics I've missed - but they both just seemed really empty to me. The stories were solid enough, and both had endings that'll make me want to read the next issue - especially Detective Comics. That last panel asks some questions...not sure where they're going, but it could either be really cool, or utter shit. But neither of them really seemed to tread any new ground...maybe I was just expecting too much from the first issue, but I would have liked to see at least something out of the ordinary.

And I was really expecting more from Grant Morrison on Action Comics. He's such a great Superman writer - All-Star Superman totally changed my opinion of the character, brilliant stuff - but this just seemed really generic, especially for someone as crazy and talented as Morrison. Not bad of course, but he's capable of way better.

I'll can't really see myself getting into much of this new stuff, but I'll probably check out a few more for curiosity's sake.

By the way, have you read the new Catwoman yet? I haven't checked it out personally, but everything I've heard makes it sound like a total shitshow...

hueyisme 09-28-2011 05:44 PM

Ive got some old Donald Duck and Nancy and Sluggo comics from about 1950, but one I remember from that era was one called Adventures Into The Unknown. A really graphic, scary comic before they started the comic code in the early 50's and tamed the comics down. After that there wasnt much to them.

Ritualistic 10-02-2011 11:57 AM

Ive started reading `68. its a zombie comic

newb 10-21-2011 07:30 PM

haven't read a comic in years.

lovelybones 10-25-2011 07:13 PM

I'm a huge fan of the Lenore comics, JTHM and bear - anything that has the same kind of dark humor. I've tried to read superhero comics and even though I love the artwork, I just can't get into them.

I've been trying to find a new series I might like - Does anyone have any reccomendations???

kyl3thund3r 10-27-2011 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovelybones (Post 908048)
I'm a huge fan of the Lenore comics, JTHM and bear - anything that has the same kind of dark humor. I've tried to read superhero comics and even though I love the artwork, I just can't get into them.

I've been trying to find a new series I might like - Does anyone have any reccomendations???

If you like comics, but not the superhero genre, have a shot of the walking dead. The story differs from the show so you're not re-reading stuff you may have already seen, if you have been watching that. The writing and artwork are spectacular. It's probably my favourite line of comics out just now.

To respond to the topic of the thread, I'm currently reading through the walking dead (I was a late starter) and Blackest Night as well.

Frogbros_soldier 11-09-2011 06:04 PM

Right now I just recently got The Lost Boys, Reign of Frogs Trade paper-back and must say I love it : ) and think it is great for Lost Boys fans

Weapon X 11-13-2011 09:32 PM

Alan Moore's The Courtyard.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._courtyard.jpg

Weapon X 11-23-2011 02:16 AM

Gotham By Gaslight

wizard of gore 12-02-2011 11:19 AM

the new "hellraiser comic series,done by clive barker the man himself this time

Weapon X 12-03-2011 07:08 AM

Last Zombie Inferno 1-5.

http://images.tfaw.com/covers_tfaw/200/fe/feb110720.jpg
Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't read this series yet.

cheebacheeba 12-16-2011 01:49 AM

The latest "Walking Dead".
New character introduced...one who manages to unbelievably kick two of the major players asses while unarmed then drops some HUGE story-changing infor...Interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes here.

I've also read an issue of "Avengers Academy" which in my opinion is actually a better read as it's big-brother title at this point. Never before have characters that have been introduced from the ground up into existing "superhero" continuity, been something I'd much taken notice of, but yeah I guess it's in the writing.
Some really cool mystery stuff with future/time travel going on too.

Green Lantern - The 4th issue of the "new 52" title.
I have figured out something about this whole new 52 thing.
The storylines/titles that are "new" can be hit and miss. I love some, I couldn't be bothered with others. Though the ones that continued on with the existing continuity (such as the Bat-titles and Green Lantern) are rock solid.
I have not enjoyed this title so much in AGES.
I mean shit, Sinestro is back albeit unwillingly on the "good" side, and is practically the main character in the book now - redemption? Who knows...but the back and forth between himself and his, hm, assistant Hal Jordan who is no longer a GL himself is just brilliant.
I'd recommend the current series to anyone that's ever liked the book.

Suicide Squad - The latest incarnation of this title also under the "new 52".
Continuity of it's own it seems, though it bares a slight resemblance character-wise to the "secret six" title that finished up a little while ago. Deadshot, ?Killer Shark? and Harley Quinn are the major players here, as villains whoeither perform govt missions, or die.
Probably the BEST "new 52" title out of the self contained out-of-continuity storylines.

New TMNT series - Best it's been since the beginning.
Love it. Fans CAN NOT be disappointed by this one. Read it.

Batgirl #4 - Also "new 52" but existing continuity.
Great new villain in this one, even if the rest isn't all that noteworthy.
Probably my favourite bat-villain to be introduced since "Hush".

That's it for now, lots more to read.

ImmortalSlasher 12-19-2011 08:55 AM

I'm about to start reading the Ghost Omnibus.

cheebacheeba 12-19-2011 11:15 PM

Is that the "Ghost" that's a chick dressed in white?
If so, never read it but it always looked like a really interesting comic, I recall it having great art too.

ImmortalSlasher 12-20-2011 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheebacheeba (Post 913701)
Is that the "Ghost" that's a chick dressed in white?
If so, never read it but it always looked like a really interesting comic, I recall it having great art too.

Yep that's it. With early artwork by Adam Hughes and Terry Dodson. I picked it up with another Dark Horse comic called The Secret, which was so so.

last bad move 12-25-2011 07:37 PM

just finished today with the last preacher book. so good . wish the end was as strong as the beginning but all and all great red. the saint of killers is the shit. anybody read it?

cheebacheeba 12-26-2011 02:12 AM

No Hero.
UltraViolence, twists and turns but not really that great if you ask me.
I've seen better from Ellis.

Insurrection V3.6
This one I quite liked.
The story of a "defective" military service android that inspires a rebellion among his brethren. It's a nice, self contained story that doesn't have the need to flash forward or back or otherwise convolute the plot, it's simplistic but the core story keeps you wanting to read more.
Bit pissed when it ended after just four issues, but yeah, it was cool.

50-girls-50
Meh. B-Movie crap with scantily clad women.
It was "ok", but felt a bit like it was trying to be like "Fear Agent" and failing.

Red Skull - Incarnate
Not quite as interesting a read as "Origin" but an interesting look at the early exploits of the character that would become the time-spanning nemesis to Captain America.

Bring the Thunder.
Hm...it was "ok"...nothing great though, I find that the attempts at "superhero" type comics are pretty hit and miss.

last bad move 12-26-2011 06:43 AM

ya i agree chee that it isnt the best. im going to have the check those out. insurrection v3.6 sounds pretty sweet. what do you think about ennis's work on hellblaazer. i know one of his arcs went on to become the main plot to the Constantine movie but becides that i havent heard anything.

GilbertSmith 01-25-2012 07:55 PM

I've been catching up on this list: http://www.besthorrorcomics.com/submissions.html

Every one I've read on there is solid gold.