Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror.

Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. (https://www.horror.com/forum/index.php)
-   Books & Fiction Writing (https://www.horror.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What book u reading at the moment? (https://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19622)

noctuary 05-24-2006 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Miss Olivia
I just got "the scream" by john skipp and craig spector....I really like their writing style, no pulling punches....nice switch as I just finished Shogun for the twentieth time...
Check out The Light at the End as well. It's too bad Skipp and Spector don't seem to be writing anymore. They were two of the very few "splatterpunks" that were actually worth reading.

urgeok 05-26-2006 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by urgeok
i'm reading something called Ghost .. still cant figure out if it's the inspiration for the movie or not yet.

at the same time (depending on which room in the house I'm in) a book on the Canadian Animation business, a book of Lovecraftian themed short stories, The Chronicles of NArnia, Potshot (a robert b Parker 'Spencer' novel), and a couple of others I cant recall at the moment..

ah - the other 2 are Rock This (Chris Rock)
and a 3 in one book compilation by woody allen which i wont be able to finish because it is way too repetative to be funny.

this guy was all about 'random' back in the day - it's just so dated and repetative now.

AnnieMiller 05-26-2006 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jacob Singer
Just finished "The historian", pretty bored and doesnt tell me nothing that I don't know (before I read it) of Vlad Tepess.
I found it really dry and hard going - just as well it had all the hype before it was published to ensure it was a best seller cos it wouldn't have got there on its own.

Try "Vrolok" Nolene-Patricia Dougan - much much better historically. She weaves actual historical events and characters into her fiction. Her research is obvious but yet its never dry or boring. Let me know what you think of it.

Jacob Singer 05-26-2006 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AnnieMiller
I found it really dry and hard going - just as well it had all the hype before it was published to ensure it was a best seller cos it wouldn't have got there on its own.

Try "Vrolok" Nolene-Patricia Dougan - much much better historically. She weaves actual historical events and characters into her fiction. Her research is obvious but yet its never dry or boring. Let me know what you think of it.

Vrolok? Ok I try to find it when I'll finish Chaman. It's not bad (for a best seller) but nothing special. My problem it's just when I start to read a book I have to finish (no matter is it's something like "The Historian")

AnnieMiller 05-26-2006 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jacob Singer
Vrolok? Ok I try to find it when I'll finish Chaman. It's not bad (for a best seller) but nothing special. My problem it's just when I start to read a book I have to finish (no matter is it's something like "The Historian")
I'm the same I just can't give up on a book no matter what.

As for Vrolok I saw an article in the Californian Chronicle about it and they called the author the "new Anne Rice". Its similarity to "The Historian" ends with the fact that it is a twist on the Dracula myth.

"Vrolok" however is a much more pacey read as it centres on the characters in the book and any historical references compliment the plot instead of stalling it.

Ps The Californian Chronicle article refered me to Amazon.com to buy it and its also on the Amazon.co.uk site if that's easier for you.

Read it and let me know what you think - I love discovering "new" authors the so called bestsellers seem to just churn out books for the sake of it sometimes.

dark thoughts 05-28-2006 08:01 PM

The Silent Strength of Stones. It's pretty good and the author is local:)

Miss Olivia 05-28-2006 08:13 PM

Right now I'm reading James Clavell's Tai Pan. He's one of my favorite authors. Shogun is one of my top three favorite books of all time.

AnnieMiller 05-29-2006 02:16 AM

Maximum Ride - James Patterson - dross - finished it in two goes had great potential just never fulfilled it.

scouse mac 06-05-2006 07:23 AM

How to pass Technical Selection Tests

&

How to pass Advanced Aptitude Tests

Not exactly riveting reading, and i cant get a handle on plotlines, but helpful enough if you have any psychometric tests coming up on the horizon.

urgeok 06-07-2006 02:54 AM

i just added to more to my pile ..

some heroic fantasy book i just got called Swordsman of MArs and a canadian rocker bio by Greg Goddovitch (which is pretty damn good)

dark thoughts 06-23-2006 09:06 PM

The Book of Werewolves

scouse mac 07-02-2006 10:39 AM

Riotous Assembly by Tom Sharpe

phantomstranger 07-03-2006 11:58 AM

Dead Witch Walking
by Kim Harrison

urgeok 07-04-2006 09:30 AM

Neil Gaiman's Stardust.

pretty entertaining so far ..

Posher778 07-05-2006 04:24 AM

Battle Royale

I really need to see this movie too. Is it true that GoGo from KillBill is in this?

Miss Olivia 07-05-2006 04:37 PM

I just finished Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt. Really awesome book. I like the way he wrote it in his brogue....it's funny and sad at the same time.

urgeok 07-06-2006 05:32 AM

Quote:

Neil Gaiman's Stardust.

pretty entertaining so far ..

and finished it last night ..
a very quick read ... entertaining adult fairy-tale

i'd be interested in seeing how they film this one..

Angra 07-12-2006 09:26 AM

Colin Harrison "The Havana room"

Didnīt give me much really. Waaaay to slow going for my taste, without any big climaxes, surprises or strong enough plot to save it in the end. Disappointing.

Miss Olivia 07-12-2006 10:26 PM

Salem's Lot. I read it probably once a year.

Angra 07-13-2006 07:44 AM

Quote:

Salem's Lot. I read it probably once a year.

NEEEEEEERD!!!:D

hammerfan 07-13-2006 09:07 AM

The Cat Who Turned On and Off by Lilian Jackson Braun

I've recently discovered these books - I'm completely hooked on them!

urgeok 07-13-2006 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hammerfan
The Cat Who Turned On and Off by Lilian Jackson Braun

I've recently discovered these books - I'm completely hooked on them!

oh shit ... i got rid of a bunch of these in the 1st batch i took in for credit ..

there are at least 4 mystery authors that feature cats in the titles of their books now ... thats a weird sub genre.

Angra 07-14-2006 06:58 AM

"The Kite Runner"

hammerfan 07-14-2006 07:40 AM

Quote:

oh shit ... i got rid of a bunch of these in the 1st batch i took in for credit ..

there are at least 4 mystery authors that feature cats in the titles of their books now ... thats a weird sub genre.

I never considered that you might have them in your collection. Oh well, my loss!

Who are the other authors? These books actually have the cats in their stories, they're two of the main characters. Well, obviously you know that since you had the books, duh! :p

joshaube 07-14-2006 07:47 AM

The Whalestoe Letters;
Interesting, and I liked it. It was cool how through the letters of a single woman, we can establish the characters of three other people effectively.

And since it was so short, I read NOES: Suffer the Children alongside of it. Got about half-way through. Might keep reading, might not. It's not that well written, or special, but I like the transitions from one character to another during the various dream sequences. It seems better then the movie sequels, at least.

Now I'm going to churn through House of Leaves and Glamorama - both books I am very eager to read.

Anyone read House of Leaves? Looks amazingly thought-out and deep.

I also have a small SK collection, the only ones I'm interested in are the Dark Tower series. I have the first two, worth a read?

urgeok 07-14-2006 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by hammerfan
I never considered that you might have them in your collection. Oh well, my loss!

Who are the other authors? These books actually have the cats in their stories, they're two of the main characters. Well, obviously you know that since you had the books, duh! :p

i never read them ! just bought them to sell .. cant remember the other authors now .. shouldnt be too hard to find though by googling mystery and cat ..

female mystery authors love gimmicks ..

there's another one who names all of the books after pubs, and another (sue grafton) who uses a letter of the alphabet ..

there's a lot more too .. everyone looking for a niche market .

Miss Olivia 07-14-2006 10:32 AM

You know, The Dark Tower series was weird, and not what I expected at all, but I would say they're worth checking out because the last thing they are is predictable. Some of the imagery was pretty powerful.

scouse mac 07-14-2006 02:26 PM

Quote:

You know, The Dark Tower series was weird, and not what I expected at all, but I would say they're worth checking out because the last thing they are is predictable. Some of the imagery was pretty powerful.
Agree with that. No scene logically leads onto the next but somehow its seems to work.

Interesting characters, even if they do accept the fucked up nature of things a little too readily.

Miss Olivia 07-15-2006 11:00 AM

Yeah, the surrealism is pretty strong, kind of like a weird dream that you had once. What you do in dreams often doesn't make sense either, but you can never seem to stop yourself.

Jacob Singer 07-15-2006 11:36 AM

Good omens by T. Pratchett and N. Gaiman

noctuary 07-15-2006 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by joshaube

Now I'm going to churn through House of Leaves and Glamorama - both books I am very eager to read.

Anyone read House of Leaves? Looks amazingly thought-out and deep.

House of Leaves is an amazing book. Most horror novels don't impress me that much anymore, but I have to say that this book was nothing if not impressive. I realize that House of Leaves is only kinda sorta a "horror" novel, but it's the label that fits more than any other.

So have you read to the end yet? I'd love to hear your theories on just what was really going on.

joshaube 07-16-2006 10:26 AM

I've only gotten past a few chapters in a previous attempt at reading it, but put it down a for while since then. I'm going to go back and re-read those sections and continue, so I guess you could say I just started. Will definately post my thoughts after finishing, though. :)

horrifying 07-16-2006 06:00 PM

creepers by david morrell i liked it alot 8/10

hammerfan 07-17-2006 06:11 AM

Getting ready to start "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire

evilreign 07-17-2006 08:26 AM

Right now I am reading the stand complete and uncut, and man is it long. After that Watchers by Dean Koontz

Miss Olivia 07-17-2006 08:24 PM

I just finished In the Flesh by Clive Barker.....a first edition printing from the local used book store for 5.00...it was a pretty interesting read, I found the original story the movie Candyman was based on. Still, I didn't like it as much as some of his other work....Books of Blood volume one had better stories overall in my opinion.

urgeok 07-18-2006 05:28 AM

i'm about 5 stories into a 'best of lovecraft' compilation.

i appreciate the guy but he uses a lot of the same plot/structure devices over and over again.

its starting to read like Creepy/Tales From the Crypt a little too much when he gets away from the chulthutootooramalamadingdong mythos.

a little of thats a good thing .. but not so great in large doses .. too samey.

AUSTIN316426808 07-18-2006 05:37 AM

I don't wanna make a new thread just for this one simple query so I'll ask it here.

Haven't read a book in awhile, started a couple that didn't really catch my interest, so I'm looking for suggestions. I'd like something horror, psychological, mystery but anything really interesting will do.

hammerfan 07-18-2006 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AUSTIN316426808
I don't wanna make a new thread just for this one simple query so I'll ask it here.

Haven't read a book in awhile, started a couple that didn't really catch my interest, so I'm looking for suggestions. I'd like something horror, psychological, mystery but anything really interesting will do.

Have you ever read any of the Saint-Germain books by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro? They're very good. I can send you a list of the titles, just let me know and I'll pm them to you.

I just finished the first three "Cat Who" books by Lilian Jackson Braun. They're excellent! They're murder mysteries - I was not able to figure out who the murderer was.

noctuary 07-18-2006 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AUSTIN316426808

Horror, psychological, mystery? Sounds like Peter Straub's "Blue Rose" trilogy would work for you. In order, the books are Mystery, Koko, and The Throat. I usually don't get into mystery type books, but this series is great.