PDA

View Full Version : TMNT, the REAL one...

Vodstok
09-17-2004, 04:00 AM
Anyone else a fan of the original Eastman and Laird series?

i remember being psyched that movies and tv shows were comingout, but then saw they were made for kids and early teens and was pissed (even though i was an early teen then...)

the original was great. You could only tell them apart because of their weapons, and some subtle other clues...
Leo was a little taller and stood more straight.
Mike always smiled (more than the others, anyway)
Don was always made to look a little thoughtful.
Raph was thicker and meaner looking.

I had the RPG and most of the expansions (based directly from the comics, and most of the art was done by Eastman and Laird)

What they REALLY missed the boat on with the cartoons and movies was that the original was dark, gritty and VIOLENT. I had never seen so much blood in a comic. They also didnt throw around the word "dude" constantly, or go nuts over pizza (in fact, i think they only had pizza once that i can recall)

Anyone else a fan? I need to dig out my graphic novels this weekend.... im getting violently nostalgic :D

On a related note, I dated a girl in Highschool whose mother was a real-estate agent. She sold the house that the turtles were designed and concieved in. apparently, there were turtles and ninjas drawn on all of the walls. :D

http://www.bookpalace.com/acatalog/KevinEastmansTMNTurtlesA.jpg

MichaelMyers
09-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I remember reading an issue a long time ago. IIRC, the one I read was mostly silent. Definitely a much darker feel than the Sat. morning cartoon show.

bwind22
09-17-2004, 05:11 PM
The TMNT comics are bad ass! I've always been a fan of those, but unlike you Vod, I really liked the cartoon series too. (I was like 12 when they came out.)

Vod, if you have never read Preacher, go get the graphic novels. It is THE BEST comic ever made! Very bloody, and definately aimed at adults! Check it out, I promise you'll like it. (If you've already discovered the joy of Preacher, let me know and we can talk about it.)

Vodstok
09-20-2004, 05:01 AM
I havent yet, but thanks for the suggestion, i will keep my eyes peeled. There is a comic book shop 30 minutes from my house that carries it.