PDA

View Full Version : Oldskool/New

cheebacheeba
08-26-2004, 10:36 PM
So I was talking to a friend the other day, just kinda reminiscing about the 16-bit console era (probably MY favourite), and got to talking about what our top 3 games were on sega 16-bit (we were sega boys at the time). We talked about 3 each, and then both of us said "but then there's..." anyway, we couldn't stop at 3 each.
In this thread, I wanna ask you guys what your top , say 5-10 games were of a few different formats/systems...titles do not have to be in order of preference, 'cos this is pretty hard to do also.
Ok, so here's mine:

Sega Master system
*Aztec adventure
*Wonderboy in MonsterLand
*Cyborg Hunter
*Phantasy star 3
*Sonic 1
*Dynamite Dux
*Wonderboy 3

Sega MegaDrive (aka Genesis)
*Streets of Rage 3
*Cannon Fodder
*Shining Force (Just ROCKED)
*Zombies (aka zombies Ate My Neighbours on snes)
*X-Men 2
*Flashback
*Beyond Oasis
*Maximum Carnage
*Zero Tolerance
*Soleil
*Revenge of Shinobi
*Sonic 2
*Landstalker
(See what I mean about not being able to stop at 3?)

NES
*Super Mario Bros 2
*Wrath of black manta
*P.O.W
*Cobra Triangle
*Legend of Zelda
*Strider
*Kickle Cubicle
*metal gear

SNES
*E.V.O: The search for eden
*Breath of Fire
*Zelda 3
*Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
*B.O.B
*True Lies
*Earthbound
(weird little rpg, may have been called "mothership" elsewhere)
*BlackThorne (a.k.a:Blackhawk)
*Illusion of Time (aka illusion of Gaia)
*Super Mario World

Gameboy (Original AND colour)
*MarioLand 2: 6 Golden Coins
*Donkey Kong (anyone else play thru this awesome game?)
*Pokemon Red/Blue
*Revealations: The DemonSlayer
*Montezumas Return
*Zelda seasons/ages (I consider this pretty much one BIG game)
*Metal Gear Solid

Gameboy Advance
Haven't played MANY, but I've checked out a few on an emulator, so far I like...
*Golden Sun
*Lady Sia
*Loderunner gba (good to have new levels)
*Medal of Honour: Infiltrator

Arcade
*Metal Slug Series, #2 the most
*D&D series
*Bomberman World
*Virtua Cop 2
*Final Fight
*Vendetta
*The Simpsons
*MK 1 (wasn't the best one, but had the most impact)
*Snow Brothers 2p
*There was a new-ish star wars one that you could do shooter and lightsaber fights, cant remember the name...
*The Punisher 2p
*Hammerin' Harry
*Battletoads
*TMNT 2

PC, OLD/NEW
*Into the Eagles Nest
*Max Payne
*Heroes Quest 1 (renamed "quest for glory" I believe)
*Half-Life
*Quake 1
*Secret Agent
*Warcraft 2
*Dungeon Siege
*Blood
*GTA Vice city, on the first play
*Quake 2
(God the pc ones were hard to think of...)

PLAYSTATION
*Crash Team Racing
*Soul Blade
*Mega-Man Legends 2
*Ape Escape
*Spider-man
*Medal of Honour: Underground
*Wild Arms

DREAMCAST
*Record of Lodoss War
*Dynamite Cop
*Soul Calibur
*Carrier
*Soldier of Fortune
*Unreal Tournament
*Skies of Arcadia

PS2
*Onimusha
*Evil Dead: Fistfull of Boomstick (however SHORT it was)
*GTA 3
*Devil May Cry
*Marvel vs Capcom 2
*Soul Calibur 2
For the record, I never played it, but Red Dead revolver looks pretty cool)

I haven't added any xbox games to to lack of that much hands-on play...
As for gamecube, which I've played a little, I thought
*resident evil 0
*zelda: windwaker
*eternal darkness
were all pretty cool.

So yeah, what's your favourite stuff???
Any unmentioned systems you've played, feel free to add.

...man this post has taken ages!
- B.

Hate_Breeder
08-27-2004, 02:21 AM
Wow long list i'll just go as far as saying the original Excite Bike was my favorite old game. But i never had any Sega systems

cheebacheeba
08-27-2004, 03:38 AM
Yup, the list sure took some time to think of...
I didn't mind excitebike, there was a newer version on n64 a while back, but it wasn't all that good. There's actually a disney version on gameboy advance that's pretty cool.
Nintendo was pretty cool, but I have to say I pity those who've never had a sega...

Vodstok
08-27-2004, 03:55 AM
Wow Cheeba, you are bringing back some memories...

Genesis:
Altered Beast
Ghous And Ghosts
Space Harrier 2
Sword of Vermillion
Zombies ate my Neighbors
Kid Chameleon
Sonic

One game i FUCKING despised was Blades of Thunder.... i wished that i had known what kind of turd it was before i bought that one.....

Gameboy:
Super Mario World
Gargoyle's Quest (Probably on eof my all-time favorite games)
Castlevania

Arcade (back when there WERE arcasdes... Not a single one around where i live....)
Rampage
Spy Hunter
Prince Dragon
Aliens
Midnight Resistance
Robocop
X-men
CYBERSLED!
Area 51

NES
Only really played SMB3

Computer:
Half-life
Doom
Quake (especially 1, but also 2 and 3)
UT
Counter-Strike
Homeworld
Fallout
RTCW
Rune
Max Payne
Space Taxi

Hate_Breeder
08-27-2004, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by cheebacheeba
Yup, the list sure took some time to think of...
I didn't mind excitebike, there was a newer version on n64 a while back, but it wasn't all that good. There's actually a disney version on gameboy advance that's pretty cool.
Nintendo was pretty cool, but I have to say I pity those who've never had a sega...

For sure i always used to play my friends because i never had one. Sadly i liked Booger Man :rolleyes: lol

cheebacheeba
08-27-2004, 04:50 AM
Booger-Man wasn't THAT bad, but for that style of game, I preferred Earthworm Jim, one that probably SHOULD have made my list...but you can just never think of all the games you love 'til some oldskool player like yourself reminds you of them...

Man, Vod... you and I have such similar tastes huh?
You mentioned ghouls and ghosts, YET ANOTHER one that should've made my list, I used to get so pissed off but somehow it trapped me into playing it again and again...great challenging game.
If you liked gargoyles quest, did you ever play a similar one on snes called demons crest? I think it was meant to have been the same character?
As for arcade, I loved Aliens and midnight resistance! I also thought aliens vs predator was awesome...it was the first thing along in a while that felt like an oldskool beat 'em up.
I'm pretty much down with your pc selection too...

Keep talking people, this could be a good discussion

- B.

Hate_Breeder
08-27-2004, 05:13 AM
I remember playing an old old video game called Bignose where you played a caveman. Awesome game though lol. Also i enjoyed the first Prince of Persia

Vodstok
08-27-2004, 05:32 AM
Prince of persia rules :)
I remember playing it in B&W back on an old mcintosh

Cheeba,
Ghouls and Ghosts used to send me into a fucking RAGE. Iloved it, but there were parts where you had to hit shit EXACTLY right or you got hurt/killed. Used to drive me insane, so i played it with cheats as often as possible.

Hate_Breeder
08-27-2004, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Vodstok
Prince of persia rules :)
I remember playing it in B&W back on an old mcintosh

Only way to play it in my opinion

cheebacheeba
08-27-2004, 06:52 AM
I liked it too, in a way, I guess it kinda paved the way for one of my alltime favourite games - Flashback: The quest for Identity.

[redsun]
08-27-2004, 07:52 PM
i had myself a marvellous master system. my mum being the poo she is, sold it at a garage sale. imagine my horror when i returned to the rumpus room to find it missing! she said she sold it because "it was old rubbish" she thought buying a playstation would replace it nicely...it just isnt the same...
anyways...
my favourite games were a little different to the ones ive seen in your lists:
-california games (i was shit at frisbee)
-wonderboy 1
-alex kid in karate world
-wonderboy in monster land (although i always wondered why a croc with an eye patch wuld serve beer (ale)?? ...)
-phsycho fox (i especially loved the big bad guys at the end and the giant bug and you had to kill it buy spraying it with bug spray)
-i couldnt go past pac-man. it was one of my first games.
-after burner
-sonic
and there are many others so i will have to go and have a thinksie and gt back to you.

i also had a lynx (ohhh lynx's lol)
good times.

on my super-old computer i used to have prince of persia which was in white purple and aqua tones lol. you know the style i mean. well i loved that game too.

cheebacheeba
08-27-2004, 09:04 PM
Those choices ARE a little different, but I don't have a beef with any of them, they were all pretty good..
It SUCKS when old consoles DIE and/or get trashed.
I didn't mind wonderboy 1, I just found that 2 & 3 had a little more depth.
Psycho fox was awesome, another that I missed for my own list, I just loved the whole swapping for different abilities thang.
So, what stuff were you into on various other systems?

Just for a random thought, 2 things I hate in games:
*Time limits
*One-hit kills...(contra for one, would've been a lot cooler without 'em)

- B.

IDrinkYourBlood
09-05-2004, 04:53 PM
I liked it too, in a way, I guess it kinda paved the way for one of my alltime favourite games - Flashback: The quest for Identity.
Dude I totally loved Flashback. Me and my friend had an all-nighter playing that game. It was so freakin hard.

cheebacheeba
09-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Yep, but I dunno if a game has ever drawn me in so damn much...I loved the scene where you hadda track down the renegade cyborgs...and the gameshow, remember that?
Deathmaze was it?

Amazing game.

MichaelMyers
09-06-2004, 09:16 AM
"Out Of This World" for SNES.

IDrinkYourBlood
09-07-2004, 04:23 PM
I remember when I was at the video store called "Star Pix"
scince then the place has closed down and now i got to the best place EVER to rent...ROGERS VIDEO!!!!
Anywaaaayyyss i was in the game section and was brosing at what to rent, should i rent Super Star Wars or perhaps Clay Fighters 2. But then i saw this really gigantic box with a weird alien robot thing putting his arm on his hips. It was this game called Earth Bound. The big box was cool, and it was big because it had the game guide that came with it. Good game back in the day but scince then my little brother has been absest with the game and killed it for me for the rest of my life. o how i hate him so.

cheebacheeba
09-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Myers, yep, I played through out of this world, but I had played flashback first so it seemed like a bit of a step backwards, at least graphically.
The game itself was pretty interesting, I could see that from the start.
I have to say though, it was one hell of a challenging game, got me to the point of crushing the cartridge underfoot many times...
like a harder, more crazy prince of persia. Having gunfights was fun tho, all the shields n shooting...got pretty intense.
It sucked that your friend died at the end...

Are we talking about earthbound the rpg about the alien "invasion", Drink? If so, it's great....if you got bored of the snes one due to the brother, try to get yourself an n.e.s emulator and play through "earthbound: zero", similar storyline, same quirky-ness, but a different enough game for you to like it.

I always wanted to get an englih translation for the snes game that I THINK was called "rent a hero", someone made a version that played the first like 5 minutes in english, then went to japanese or something...it sucked, 'cos the first thing you really got to do was to beat up your drunk father who was wearing a cheap looking godzilla costume...I think this wouldve been a fun game...

dantehorrorfan
10-05-2004, 11:36 PM
these are all the ones i could remember:killer instinct,sonic, super mario brothers ,metal gear,donkey kong,friday the thirteenth,soul reaver,soul reaver 2,legacey of kain defiance,metal gear solid,twisted metal,2,black,devil may cry,2,GTA3,vice city,onimushya,silent hill,2,3,4,resident evil,1,2,3,outbreak,metal gear solid 2:substance,fable,halo,star wars knights of the old republic,mortal kombat deadley aliance,deception and splinter cell

ChEEbA
06-24-2005, 06:31 PM
I just saw that it was the birthday of a VERY short term poster, [redsun] someone I invited over to HDC a long time ago, and remembered this thread, in which is their (I think) one and only post.
Anyways, I think more people should post in here...it was a cool thread...so c'mon, what did you like, what system, and why?

Oh, and redsun, if you're out there, you should swing by the rest of the forum sometime...

- B.

slasherman
06-25-2005, 08:59 AM

Sega Master system

Sega MegaDrive (aka Genesis)

NES

SNES

Arcade

PC, OLD/NEW

PLAYSTATION

DREAMCAST

PS2

so where is Commondore 64 and Atari 2600 :confused:

ChEEbA
06-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Well....I never had a c64, so I can't comment.

I did, however, have a 2600...out of which I can say I played and enjoyed:
*Pitfall 2 (The first one was just too linnear)
*Off the Wall (arkanoid clone, but the first game I owned)
*Boxing 2player was kinda fun...
*Dig-dug - Awesome fun, on ANY system.

And...to make it 5,
Mr Do's Castle WOULD have made the list, but I've only played it on an emulator.

So there ya go...

I wonder if ANYONE here has ever played a Nintendo virtual boy, an NEC Turbo Grafx 16, or an atari Jaguar?
I could go on to mention the goldstar 3d0, the ill fated sega saturn (which I, for one, thought looked great), the colecovision, the intellivision, the neo-geo pocket/cd, or the vectrex...maybe someone out there had some insight for these...

The two I mainly wonder about though, ARE the Goldstar 3d0, and the Atari Jaguar...

ChEEbA
10-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Just trying to get the games forum a lil' more active...