PDA

View Full Version : Manga....

Arioch
07-31-2004, 12:41 PM
I just started reading some manga recently (Berserk, and it fucking OWNS), and i must say i much prefer it to traditional comics....far more development, better art, its much more like a graphic novel than a comic....

Anyone else? Thoughts? Opinions?

KRUGERKID13
08-01-2004, 04:48 PM
Long live american comics

Arioch
08-03-2004, 06:55 PM
Long live american comics

And the American closed mind apparently....

Anyone else here READ manga?

Sam The Egg
08-19-2004, 01:10 PM
I do. Junji Ito's stuff is great if you like horror manga with some really weird art (esp. Uzumaki).

theslowwizard
09-02-2004, 12:52 PM
some good Manga titles:

Akira (very long but amazing)
Battle Angel Alita (action packed and well written)
Domu (creepy with psychic warfare)
Hell Baby (great horror manga)

MichaelMyers
09-02-2004, 09:04 PM
My faves are Kill me Kiss me, Remote (though I don't know if they have a second volume translated yet), and Gravitation even though I prefer the Anime...the characters look a bit odd in the Manga.

Proteus
09-05-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Sam The Egg
I do. Junji Ito's stuff is great if you like horror manga with some really weird art (esp. Uzumaki).

Sam have you read any GYO from him?.....do know where I can get a couple of pics of his work on the net the guy has some truely screwed up art.....I love it!

Proteus

Wicked Lady
09-06-2004, 02:09 AM
I have read the entire Love Hina series I LOVE it:D...but loving characters and getting to know every little part of them and never hearing their voices can make the crossover from manga to anime VERY hard, esp. with REALLY crappy voice overs and unwanted added accents:mad: lol sorry, I just had to get that out:cool:

I haven't read many manga, I have the first two Sailor Moon books (sooooooo much better than the anime just from what I've seen) the first Trigun Maximum book (tee hee Fairy Boy [Arioch] helped me pay for that one:D :p ) I also have the first xxxHolic book, I really liked it, the second one is already out, but the third doesn't come out until Nov. so I'm going to wait to get it.

Manga I would really like to check out...
Chobits,(i've heard alot of good things about it)
Cardcapter Sakura, ( heard it's better than the anime and I really liked to story line)
Eerie queerie (I read a lil of it in a Tokyo Pop preview book, looks hilarious!)

EDIT: OoOoOoh do I get the "longest post in this thread award"? cause I made the longest one *does a really stupid dance* lol sorry, I'm tired

Arioch
09-06-2004, 03:36 PM
Just be glad i let you buy that....

Wicked Lady
09-07-2004, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Arioch
Just be glad i let you buy that.... lol you know there was no way around it!!! I think it went a lil something like this.....

Me: hey, can I have 5 dollars cause there's a manga I really want to get and I can only afford to pay for half?

You:what manga is it?

Me: ummmmmm....you have to promise you'll help me get it before I tell you.....do you promise?

You: yeah whatever, what is it?

Me: TRIGUN

You:UUUUUUUUGH!!!!!

lmao, at least, that's the way I remember it :D :p :cool:

bloodrayne
09-07-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Wicked Lady
lmao, at least, that's the way I remember it :D :p :cool: Hmmm...That's the way that I seem to remember it, too...EXACTLY that way...lol:p

You spoil these kids way too much, and they know it...That makes it easy for them, you know...:)

SamCostello
09-11-2004, 01:56 PM
I read both American comics and manga.

The manga that I've really liked recently include:

Akira
Priest (wild west zombie horror)
Uzumaki/Tomie/GYO (the great Junji Ito)
The Malay Mysteries (ghost story/mysteries based on Indonesia folk tales)
Hino Horror (a big series of self-contained horror stories from Japan)

It's a shame that some people are determined not to like manga just because it doesn't look like American comics. There's some great stuff being published by TokyoPop, Viz, etc. etc.

Sam

Sam The Egg
09-11-2004, 03:25 PM
It looks like I'm gonna have to get everything after vol. 6 of Fruits Basket because the anime ends at vol. 6, but there's a bunch of stuff after it.

Stupid....something....:mad:

hellfire1
09-11-2004, 10:23 PM
bastard (no idea if that's the american title for it), ruroni kenshin, dnaČ, golden boy, nicky larson...

Wicked Lady
09-30-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Sam The Egg
It looks like I'm gonna have to get everything after vol. 6 of Fruits Basket because the anime ends at vol. 6, but there's a bunch of stuff after it.

Stupid....something....:mad: is Fruits Basket any good? what's it about?

dantehorrorfan
10-01-2004, 12:13 AM
i read the books and watch the movies my faovrite movie bye manga is Ninja Scroll