PDA

View Full Version : The Village - A new SIGN of Suckness

downside
07-20-2004, 05:31 AM
Ok. This is really an opinion poll, so please feel free to let them fly. Here's an example.

"M. Night Shyamalan" is to "Movies" as "Vanilla Ice/4 Non-Blondes/Right Said Fred" is to "Music". Put simply, a one hit wonder.

Granted, "The Sixth Sense" was a box office hit monetary wise, and (personally) was a little creppy from time to time, with a hint of drama and suspence. After all, name another movie where one of the New Kids on the Block stands nearly naked mumbling with a gun in a bathroom.

That being said, a huge wad of cash and a "good job" was more than enough. BUt then, I was suckered into two movies not suitable for humans; "Unbreakable" and "Signs". The creepiness and curiousness were there, but it lacked story/modd/meaning/non-sucktitude. I have a feeling that "The Village" will be this as well.

First it was "why is this guy strong" and then it was "why are there circles in my crops". Now it's "what's in the forrest" and "why doesn't it like red?" It's kinda like the smoker at the party who thinks he's being smart or philosofical, but really is being over-dramatic to the point where it's funny.

And to top it off, Night made an appearance...a critical appearance in "Signs" as being (a) the reason Mel Gibson was messed up in the head and (b) the person that caught "the crop circle freak". His acting was sub-par the seens he had were more like little "I'm cool. I did this" tributes to himself.

All in all, that freak has taken me and friends for $15 each, and we want it back. His slightly engrossing stories are loose near the ending, he's had one good hit and multiple losers, and he gloats like nothing I've seen before (even going so far as to do a documentary about himself). As far as I can see, the man is milking it.

Downside

P.S. What the f*ck was the deal with aliens being hurt by baseball bats and <gasp> water??? And this guy is suppose to be creative!

Vodstok
07-20-2004, 05:43 AM
He blew his load witrh 6th Sense. That was an amazing movie. Then we have unbreakable, which was actually very good until the end.

Signs was also cool until the end. It is a great example of "It worked the first time". People liked it at first, then it fizzled. It has no staying power.

My hopes arent that high for the village either, and the Sci-Fi special of his didnt even warrant my attention. i agree, he is getting pretty full of himself. Maybe Village will flop, and he will get the hint to sit down and put some more thought into his next project.

Success has murdered better talent in the past....

downside
07-20-2004, 05:56 AM
Agreed completely, except for the "only the endings sucked" in "Unbreakable" and "Signs". Both bored me until the end, at which point I was hit with a horribly corny ending.

Still, I can see how a movie like Sixth Sense would make this guy go script-crazy and write down anything he thought of. Unfortuntaly, today's society eat's that shit up rather than spitting it back at his face. Dismal sales will be the only thing bringing Night down a peg and make him actually think about the story first.

And personally, just becuase you have a middle name like "Night" doesn't make you spooky. Especially if your first name is "Manoj".

Vodstok
07-20-2004, 06:42 AM
I agree. he is a shitty actor. He looks like a guy i used to work with, and everyone used to give him shit because he was absolutely RETARDED when it came to women... They both looked about as intimidating as a care bear.

Hate_Breeder
07-20-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Vodstok
I agree. he is a shitty actor. He looks like a guy i used to work with, and everyone used to give him shit because he was absolutely RETARDED when it came to women... They both looked about as intimidating as a care bear.

What actor are you talking about?

nine9
07-20-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by downside
Ok. This is really an opinion poll, so please feel free to let them fly. Here's an example.

"M. Night Shyamalan" is to "Movies" as "Vanilla Ice/4 Non-Blondes/Right Said Fred" is to "Music". Put simply, a one hit wonder.

Granted, "The Sixth Sense" was a box office hit monetary wise, and (personally) was a little creppy from time to time, with a hint of drama and suspence. After all, name another movie where one of the New Kids on the Block stands nearly naked mumbling with a gun in a bathroom.

That being said, a huge wad of cash and a "good job" was more than enough. BUt then, I was suckered into two movies not suitable for humans; "Unbreakable" and "Signs". The creepiness and curiousness were there, but it lacked story/modd/meaning/non-sucktitude. I have a feeling that "The Village" will be this as well.

First it was "why is this guy strong" and then it was "why are there circles in my crops". Now it's "what's in the forrest" and "why doesn't it like red?" It's kinda like the smoker at the party who thinks he's being smart or philosofical, but really is being over-dramatic to the point where it's funny.

And to top it off, Night made an appearance...a critical appearance in "Signs" as being (a) the reason Mel Gibson was messed up in the head and (b) the person that caught "the crop circle freak". His acting was sub-par the seens he had were more like little "I'm cool. I did this" tributes to himself.

All in all, that freak has taken me and friends for $15 each, and we want it back. His slightly engrossing stories are loose near the ending, he's had one good hit and multiple losers, and he gloats like nothing I've seen before (even going so far as to do a documentary about himself). As far as I can see, the man is milking it.

Downside

P.S. What the f*ck was the deal with aliens being hurt by baseball bats and <gasp> water??? And this guy is suppose to be creative!

I TOTALLY COULDN"T AGREE MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have holding out hope for The Village though!

He seems to have some of the knack for horror........just doesn't know how to carry it through!

orangestar
07-20-2004, 03:21 PM
I think Sixth Sense was a wonderful movie. Great story, great atmospere and all that. I seem to be alone in saying that I enjoyed Signs quite a bit. I was actually scared a couple times. The ending was a bit hokey, but I can handle that.

Unbreakable was pure crap. Boring movie. Horrible ending. The only adjective I can think of is POINTLESS. It was just a boring story leading up to nothing.

So he has only one strike against him in my book. I am really excited to see The Village, even the commercials have good atmosphere to them.

I tend to love little cameos from anyone in movies, especially directors. Now that I think about it, he does act almost cocky about them though.

Steelsymth
07-20-2004, 08:41 PM
I guess I'm just old and easy to please but I like all of M. Night Shyamalan movies and I'm really looking forward to The Village.

donnie darkko
07-21-2004, 11:43 AM
M. Night Rocks, The 6th sense was great, Signs was awsome and I cant wait for the village, why do so many people dislike M. Night one of the coolest directors ye hes no Eli Roth but hes still awsome

Vodstok
07-21-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Hate_Breeder
What actor are you talking about?

M night in his cameo.

Hate_Breeder
07-21-2004, 01:35 PM
The title makes no sense at all............."New sign of Suckness?"

thepsychicfetus
07-21-2004, 04:51 PM
the thing that actually scared me the most about "signs" are the sounds made by the menu screen on the dvd. i had watched the movie for the 3 or 4 time and fell asleep toward teh end. the dvd went back to the menu and it started making the creepy clicking sounds. i was too lazy to get up so i continued to listen to the terrible alien sounds. i hear them in my sleep to this day........

....just kidding.

Chainsaw Guy
07-25-2004, 07:33 AM
i agree sixth sense scared me but signs was a piece of %$#@ this one looks good though

friday13thfan
07-25-2004, 05:23 PM
i still want to see it anyways

KRUGERKID13
07-25-2004, 08:52 PM
shamylan always delivers............

dissapointment

Hate_Breeder
07-25-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by KRUGERKID13
shamylan always delivers........

dissapointment

Have to agree with you so far

movieman64
07-26-2004, 07:59 AM
He is making big budget films with notable actors to appeal to the movie going masses, not necessarily horror aficionados. That said, I'm still going to see it, this weekend.

Scarymovie411
07-29-2004, 06:12 PM
The 6th Sense was awesome...Unbreakable sucked major ass...and the only thing scary about Signs was the sound effects...I must admit thought that I am very anxious to see this movie. I hope that it doesn't suck. I read some of the critics reviews already and it sad taht the movie wasn't that good.I hope for the sake of my $10 that they were wrong.

Sick_As_Fuck
07-30-2004, 10:49 PM
Sixth Sense was great...

Unbreakable was solid...

Signs was good until the end. Beating up an alien with a bat? Just...wow.

The Village was solid the whole way through. I'll admit the "twist" was pretty shocking. Both twists actually.

Anyways, it's kinda getting old now. It's like Shyamalan's movies are extended Twilight Zone or Outer Limits shows. He needs to try something new.

Leather_Face17
07-30-2004, 11:36 PM
I just saw "The Village" today and I was incredibly dissapointed. The acting was great in this film, especially by Bryce Dallas Howard, but it just wasn't that scary and had some pretty dull and boring parts in it. The ending also really sucked and ultimately led to the film's downfall IMO. I won't give anything away, but I'm warning everyone that $9 is not worth seeing this film for.

Hate_Breeder
07-31-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Leather_Face17
I just saw "The Village" today and I was incredibly dissapointed. The acting was great in this film, especially by Bryce Dallas Howard, but it just wasn't that scary and had some pretty dull and boring parts in it. The ending also really sucked and ultimately led to the film's downfall IMO. I won't give anything away, but I'm warning everyone that $9 is not worth seeing this film for.

I couldve guessed because i hated Signs and the Others

hoRRoRfanatiC
08-05-2004, 09:20 PM
i have seen The Village, and I sadingly must say that it's suckage level was EXTREMELY high! boring beginning...... boring "climax" ....... and worst of all, stupid ending! the twist @ the end was awful! total let down.

luke_dm5
08-31-2004, 03:23 AM
Has anyone else seen THE VILLAGE yet and liked it? It still hasn't been released in Australia (our copyright laws are weird). The preview looks awesome but god didn't Signs suck ?

hoRRoRfanatiC
08-31-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by luke_dm5
Has anyone else seen THE VILLAGE yet and liked it? It still hasn't been released in Australia (our copyright laws are weird). The preview looks awesome but god didn't Signs suck ?

yeah. i saw it. it was awful as a horror movie, but i'd still see it if i were you cause i thought it was good as a comedy! but i thought the blind girl in it was an awful actor though. good luck w/ whatever u do c!;)

MichaelMyers
08-31-2004, 02:20 PM
It was a solid film. Nothing great.

luke_dm5
09-08-2004, 02:11 AM
Well I have just seen THE VILLAGE. I thought it was a good movie, but not a good horror movie. I feel a bit cheated in the way it was advertised as being something it is not, scary or a horror movie.

After Signs and now The Village, I don't think I will be in a rush to see the next M. Night Shyamalan movie, how about you guys?:o

Old Banyan Tree
09-09-2004, 03:51 AM
Manoj sucks big time. I like Trasem singh much better although i am not sure if he came out with anything else other than the Cell.

As an Indian, id put my bet on Tarsem , if he does release any more flicks.

JDMX
10-06-2004, 11:06 AM
My first take was The Village sucked but I have this feeling I have to see it again. The movie can't be this lame can it? We'll see

Chainsaw Guy
10-06-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by JDMX
My first take was The Village sucked but I have this feeling I have to see it again. The movie can't be this lame can it? We'll see

Noob heres a tip for you:
Dont drag out 2 months old threads.

:slaps JDMX:

JDMX
10-06-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Chainsaw Guy
Noob heres a tip for you:
Dont drag out 2 months old threads.

:slaps JDMX:

Ha, hell no. 'Cause then when I start a new "The Village sucked" thread then people bitch 'cause a thread was already started a long time ago about this blah blah blah. I'm was just going throught the old ones and catching up. I've done forum thing before ;)

ShankS
10-07-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by JDMX
Ha, hell no. 'Cause then when I start a new "The Village sucked" thread then people bitch 'cause a thread was already started a long time ago about this blah blah blah. I'm was just going throught the old ones and catching up. I've done forum thing before ;)

have to agree to some extent here..... these n00bs do get bashed when they dig up old threads, to talk about a film previously talked about, cos they dont wana start another thread.

it's better than loads of threads about the same old shit, especially village ones. But I'd much prefer Village threads to stay at the bottom of a stinking hell hole where it belongs.

other than that, I like bashing n00bs for being stupid.

JDMX
10-07-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by ShankS
have to agree to some extent here..... these n00bs do get bashed when they dig up old threads, to talk about a film previously talked about, cos they dont wana start another thread.

it's better than loads of threads about the same old shit, especially village ones. But I'd much prefer Village threads to stay at the bottom of a stinking hell hole where it belongs.

other than that, I like bashing n00bs for being stupid.

Ha, it's all good. I expect the bashing. I'll do it too when I've been here long enough. Bash away