PDA

View Full Version : the sixth sence...horror or drama?

moonsorrow
10-23-2003, 11:46 AM
i saw the sixth sence a few days ago, exelent movie, but i keep asking myself wether its a horror or a drama?
the ghost scenes were scary as hell no doubt....any thoughts? flaming just as welcome as coments.

fishman12345
10-23-2003, 05:03 PM
Horror (as in horrible....like your spelling of the word senSe...)

moonsorrow
10-23-2003, 05:06 PM
well im norwegian, im sure you have an excuse to

Sick_As_Fuck
10-23-2003, 10:59 PM
Horror/mystery/suspense. Great movie by the way.

moonsorrow
10-24-2003, 04:40 AM
i still say horror drama

Tony
10-24-2003, 04:48 AM
I'm going to say both.

_Leatha_Face_
10-24-2003, 05:29 AM
both some parts were scary but that movie was over hyped and played out

avenger00soul
10-24-2003, 05:45 AM
Horror/drama...same as all of M. Night's films. Hope his next one is great too.

ChaoticMinister
10-24-2003, 06:53 AM
It would be classified as "Drama with Horror Elements," as it is primarily drama, and the horror plays a supporting part in it, sort of like in the Theatre with the genre: "Tragicomedy."

M. Night has a new movie coming? If so, then I say to you: "Sweet..."

I like how he always makes Alfred Hitchcock-esque cameos in his films... Though, they're really more "minor roles..."

(Minor Spoiler Below!)

I remember going over the lighting plot for the scene in Unbreakable at the train station... F'in amazing! It surprised me how many lights they used to create such a dull world surrounding Bruce Willis and the other characters... I have my notes at home.... I'll share them later if anyone cares... Also, I noticed that in the scenes where he sees the crimes, they all have the perspective of a Security Camera on high... that's only one snippet of symbolism... the layers in his films are stunning... purely stunning... You have no idea how many elements are in the Crop Circle in Signs... Different symbols from different cultures... He is amazing...

Ask me about it if you wanna know...

*FADE OUT*

moonsorrow
10-24-2003, 04:48 PM
thats exactley what iv been saying caotic, horror with drama elements, it makes a good combo though, for a great movie, im still freaked by that scene when he thought he saw mom in his kitchen.

HalkX
10-24-2003, 05:17 PM
sxth since s abot ded peple. hororor movie is aabot ded peopl 2 is hororr

moonsorrow
10-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by HalkX
sxth since s abot ded peple. hororor movie is aabot ded peopl 2 is hororr

hmmm.....what are you trying to say?

ChaoticMinister
10-24-2003, 05:26 PM
Why can't these "Halks" type properly... Or at least something close to being intelligible... Why?

Do us all a favor and stop abbreviating like newbs and take some time to write out what you are trying to say... Is this forum one big game of "Red Light, Green Light?"

I mean a couple or a few typos are fine, that's understandable... But this is inconcievable!

Do your parents beat you for being online too long? What could possibly make you do this? It baffles me...

Sorry for sounding so angry... I'm just irritated... Forgive my tone...

I'll give you some credit, what do you say? I'll just assume you do it on purpose to be "special."

*FADE OUT*

HalkX
10-24-2003, 05:42 PM
dam ass

ShamSham04
10-25-2003, 09:37 AM
If you look at some DVD covers of the film, you'll see that it says...

#1 THRILLER OF ALL TIME!

avenger00soul
10-25-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by ShamSham04

#1 THRILLER OF ALL TIME!

IMO, Thriller is just a word studios and filmmakers use when they don't want their film pegged as a horror movie. Like the label "horror" is so damn demeaning. This really pisses me off when they do that. Like when Silence of the Lambs won the Oscar, no one would call it a horror flick. No, it's a psychological thriller.

Thriller to me is like a racy whodunit film or a fast-paced, edge of your seat type movie, like Basic Instinct or Nick of Time.

Some films fall into different catagories, and those are often the best films. I think great movies shouldn't be easy to catagorize. I think Sixth Sense falls into several catagories, horror and drama are the two most readily identifiable.

Ritualistic
10-25-2003, 01:26 PM
Horror/mystery/drama

moonsorrow
10-25-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by ChaoticMinister
Why can't these "Halks" type properly... Or at least something close to being intelligible... Why?

Do us all a favor and stop abbreviating like newbs and take some time to write out what you are trying to say... Is this forum one big game of "Red Light, Green Light?"

I mean a couple or a few typos are fine, that's understandable... But this is inconcievable!

Do your parents beat you for being online too long? What could possibly make you do this? It baffles me...

Sorry for sounding so angry... I'm just irritated... Forgive my tone...

HAHA! dont appologise cahoticminister, agression is good, i like agression.
it pisses me off to, im pretty sure you can do it a little bit better then that.

moonsorrow
10-25-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by avenger00soul
IMO, Thriller is just a word studios and filmmakers use when they don't want their film pegged as a horror movie. Like the label "horror" is so damn demeaning. This really pisses me off when they do that. Like when Silence of the Lambs won the Oscar, no one would call it a horror flick. No, it's a psychological thriller.

Thriller to me is like a racy whodunit film or a fast-paced, edge of your seat type movie, like Basic Instinct or Nick of Time.

Some films fall into different catagories, and those are often the best films. I think great movies shouldn't be easy to catagorize. I think Sixth Sense falls into several catagories, horror and drama are the two most readily identifiable.

il have to dissagree, thriller and horror arnt the same, i mean in horror movies the killer is USUALY...please not usualy something un-natural, like jason back from the dead, freddy the dream demon or that thing from jeeper creepers.
thrillers tend to have people killing people.

but horror drama would be a fitting description for 6th sense...hey i learn something new every day.

avenger00soul
10-25-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by moonsorrow
il have to dissagree, thriller and horror arnt the same

I didn't say they were the same. I gave a different definition altogether for what thriller means to me.

Ritualistic
10-25-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by moonsorrow
il have to dissagree, thriller and horror arnt the same, i mean in horror movies the killer is USUALY...please not usualy something un-natural, like jason back from the dead, freddy the dream demon or that thing from jeeper creepers.
thrillers tend to have people killing people.

but horror drama would be a fitting description for 6th sense...hey i learn something new every day.

He didnt say Thriller and Horror are the same.. He said that Thriller movies are more like "Basic Instint" ...

slasherman
08-22-2006, 01:53 AM
Drama (http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/08/17/osmont.DUI.ap/index.html)

...guess he has grown up....:p

PR3SSUR3
08-22-2006, 04:15 AM
When they fall, they fall hard.

>snigger!<

bwind22
08-22-2006, 04:48 AM
I can't believe how old that kid is already.

On topic, I'd say it's a suspense film involving a ghost story, but not a 'horror' movie. It's sort of annoying that people automatically lump this in with horror simply because it has ghosts in it, but don't give a second thought to the fact that they'd never even consider the film 'Ghost' as a horror movie. I'd say suspense.

urgeok
08-22-2006, 05:17 AM
for my own personal filing system - i DO lump it in with horror because it is a ghost story.

mainly because i group horror with fantasy .. for sake of ease.
(sci-fi is next to horror and often the 2 blend together.

one other thing to consider .. we're pretty jaded now but believe me the mention of the word ghost - pre Casper times - would automatically be considered horrifying.

with the exception of Weathering Heights - which some consider to be a ghost story.

Roderick Usher
08-22-2006, 06:41 AM
It's a supernatural thriller

Thriller is a tearm used to describe a film with frights AND a mystery.

Yes 6th sense has elements of drama, horror, even a bit of gallows humor, but it is a supernatural thriller through and through.

urgeok
08-22-2006, 06:44 AM
really - other than for your own personal filing system formed in your brain - it really doesnt matter what it is ..

novakru
08-22-2006, 07:21 AM
I think that scene where the boy sees people hanging from the rafters at his school pretty much says it all.

That scene, to this day, gives me the mega willies.

urgeok
08-22-2006, 12:14 PM
i guess if you saw that up ahead there was a car accident and you were able to see the dead person walking away from it ...

you'd have to see at that time if you felt thrilled or horrified.

alkytrio666
08-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by ShamSham04

#1 THRILLER OF ALL TIME!

...and your point? That's most likely a reviewer. On the back of Silence of the Lambs it says something like "The best thriller I've seen in years!". People always classify 'Lambs' as horror, but not The Sixth Sense. Why? Because of the PG-13 rating? I don't understand it.

The sixth Sense is about ghosts, it makes you jump. It's pretty scary.

It's horror.

paws the great
08-23-2006, 08:28 PM
The Sixth Sense is horror.