PDA

View Full Version : Best horror flicks

fishman12345
10-22-2003, 02:00 PM
I am hosting a fright night and want to get the top horror flicks I can find that fit a specific category. I am not into gore. I want flicks that have a good story and a lot of pop out and scare you type scenes. Halloween is one of my favorites but I have seen it before too many times. A few that were brought up to me are

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Suspiria
The Candyman

But I have not seen any of them and again am not into gore. Also saw a decent one years ago (80s) where teenagers spend the night in a supposedly haunted house on a dare and a mentally-defective child still lives there and hacks them all up during the night. That was on this kind of order but I don't remember the name.

Any advice or links are greatly appreciated!!!

Tony
10-22-2003, 02:15 PM
Dude...Suspiria is the most overrated boring piece of celluloid waste ever created. I don't see how this movie ever got the following that it has generated. Don't show it. People will laugh at you. It's that bad in my opinion. I have seen two Argento films and hated the both of them. Suspiria and Deep Red. Both have one really good scene each. The rest of it is awful.

Sick_As_Fuck
10-22-2003, 09:11 PM
How can you say you're not into gore, yet you're considering showing both Candy Man and TCM ?

_Leatha_Face_
10-23-2003, 05:19 AM
get "Rose Red" its long but its worth it and it has some scary parts in it

unbroken
10-23-2003, 07:33 AM
go to your local movie store, not walmart but one that focuses on entertainment only, and pick up one of those four or ten pack of horror movies
some of them are pretty good
and the best thing is that they are only about 10 dollars
amazing
and get peices, great movie
it's pretty much an old version of may in a sense
take it easy
charlie

redruM
10-23-2003, 08:08 AM
check out Vulgar

its a sick, demented film.

also try and check out Ichi The Killer on import. its a japanese action film about a hired killer named Ichi with a razor in his boot.

theres so much gore in it and dismembnerment, that it could make Scream look like a walk down Sesame Street

meetthecreeper
10-23-2003, 05:40 PM
Friday the 13th is still one of my favorites, especially the first 2. They both have some pretty good jump out scenes. Plus its cool to see the roots of the Jason Voorhees story.

avenger00soul
10-23-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by fishman12345
Also saw a decent one years ago (80s) where teenagers spend the night in a supposedly haunted house on a dare and a mentally-defective child still lives there and hacks them all up during the night. That was on this kind of order but I don't remember the name.

That sounds a little like Hell Night with Linda Blair.

ShamSham04
10-24-2003, 09:06 PM
Here's a few movies I would recommend:

- Child's Play
- Leprechaun
- Halloween
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
- Friday The 13th
- A Nightmare On Elm Street
- Jeepers Creepers
- Wrong Turn
- Junior (2002)
- The Evil Dead

AUSTIN316426808
10-25-2003, 12:43 AM
THIS IS WHAT I'D DO

I'D GO WITH CHILD'S PLAY PART2 FOR A LITTLE HUMOR.

YOU SAID NO GORE BUT I STILL SUGGEST TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE THERE'S A FEW BLOODY SCEENS BUT IT'S MOSTLY A MENTAL HORROR.

YOU SAID YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A GOOD STORY SO ROSE RED WOULD BE A GOOD PICK. I'M JUST WARNING YOU THAT IT'S LONG AS HELL.

AND THE EVIL DEAD SERIES WOULD BE A GOOD PICK AS WELL.

AND AS FOR CANDYMAN DON'T DO THAT TO YOURSELF!

I HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT TIME!

avenger00soul
10-25-2003, 05:23 AM
I gotta throw in my two cents about Rose Red. It's definitely NOT a party movie. It's like 5 hours and nothing even happens til the last part of the movie. You're friends will hate you. I'm not saying it's terrible, just not a party movie.

Ritualistic
10-25-2003, 08:27 AM
Fishman sounds like you are always hosting horror movie nights..

Krzychu
10-25-2003, 12:28 PM
Rose Red is too long? What about Stephen King's The Stand?? :) What is your opinion, good horror should be 1.5h attack or 6h battle?

avenger00soul
10-25-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Krzychu
Rose Red is too long? What about Stephen King's The Stand?? :) What is your opinion, good horror should be 1.5h attack or 6h battle?

The Stand is a damn good flick and needed every bit of that 6 or 7 hours to tell its story. I don't have a problem with Rose Red's length either, it's just not something to show at parties. You want something quick and to the point in a party environment. Half of the people aren't going to be watching the movie anyway ESPECIALLY if nothing's going on.

bone collector
07-29-2004, 08:37 PM
I recomend to watch

Red Dragon
Urban Legand
Valentine
Hollowman
Scream

They are all good and not gore either

How could you like gore man, ur freaking me out

Threl kaar
07-29-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by redruM
check out Vulgar

its a sick, demented film.

also try and check out Ichi The Killer on import. its a japanese action film about a hired killer named Ichi with a razor in his boot.

theres so much gore in it and dismembnerment, that it could make Scream look like a walk down Sesame Street
i dont know why people keep calling that a horror movie... and i think Dead Alive has the all time gore title.

xGuardianx03
07-30-2004, 12:27 PM
Here's a few suggestions...

The Eye (if you don't mind subtitles)
The Ring
Session 9
What Lies Beneath

I found all of the above to be pretty creepy without too much gore. :)

xGuardianx03
07-30-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Threl kaar
i dont know why people keep calling that a horror movie... and i think Dead Alive has the all time gore title.

I would have to agree. I just watched Dead Alive not too long ago and it was the goriest, yet funniest movie I have seen.
I like it!!! :)