PDA

View Full Version : Necronomican

yourlastmistake
06-20-2004, 04:15 PM
What do you know about the NECRONOMICAN.Is it a real book?
What is it about?

Gothic-chick
06-20-2004, 06:36 PM
It seems that i remember something about it in Motley
Crues book,"the dirt". I think it's a book of rituals to open doors to a spirit world of demons?Supposedly,nikki and lita ford messed around with the book and strange things started happening around the house. One person said they saw a fork fly off the table and stick into the ceiling. I've also heard it's a fictional book
written by H.P. Lovecraft.

Plaguewind
06-20-2004, 06:54 PM
YES, friends, it IS a real book... I've seen a reliable online version of it, but I don't remember the address, or if it still exists (I've seen it more than a year ago, we never know...). Anyway, it's not THAT hard to find... And students of the occult will certainly find one or two things of interest there.

Plaguewind
06-20-2004, 07:15 PM
And by the way, the book's name is Necronomicon, NOT Necronomican. It means "dead names" or something like that... Sorry, my Latin sucks!

yourlastmistake
06-21-2004, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the info gothic-girl and plaguewind.I couldn't find
much info on the internet.I'm sure the misspelling didn't help.
When i tried to search for it all i could find was some sight written
in ..... russian. From what little i know about it,i heard it's some
serious shit.

Stingy Jack
06-21-2004, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Plaguewind
And by the way, the book's name is Necronomicon, NOT Necronomican. It means "dead names" or something like that... Sorry, my Latin sucks!

What .... ? The Necronomicon, or "The Book of the Dead", is an invention of H.P. Lovecraft's. Granted, with all of the authors that have contributed to the Mythos since Lovecraft's death, this classic icon seems to have taken on the appearance of actually existing. But the history behind it (written by the mad Arab Abdul Al-Hazred (sp?))and much of what it contains is Lovecraft's own invention. Now, there was a book titled "The Necronomicon" that seemed authentic, and you could purchase it in the Occult section of some bookstores (I actually owned a copy), but it was a work of fictitious non-fiction, inspired by the work of Lovecraft. There really is no ancient book of spells and incantations titled "The Necronomicon". Now, there is a book titled "The Egyptian Book of the Dead", but that is a different thing altogether. It is more of an encyclopedia of Egyptian religious rites and practices centered on their view of death.

ShankS
06-21-2004, 08:39 AM
ED nuff said

Vodstok
06-21-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Stingy Jack
What .... ? The Necronomicon, or "The Book of the Dead", is an invention of H.P. Lovecraft's. Granted, with all of the authors that have contributed to the Mythos since Lovecraft's death, this classic icon seems to have taken on the appearance of actually existing. But the history behind it (written by the mad Arab Abdul Al-Hazred (sp?))and much of what it contains is Lovecraft's own invention. Now, there was a book titled "The Necronomicon" that seemed authentic, and you could purchase it in the Occult section of some bookstores (I actually owned a copy), but it was a work of fictitious non-fiction, inspired by the work of Lovecraft. There really is no ancient book of spells and incantations titled "The Necronomicon". Now, there is a book titled "The Egyptian Book of the Dead", but that is a different thing altogether. It is more of an encyclopedia of Egyptian religious rites and practices centered on their view of death.

What he said.
I have a copy. It is weird, but definately not a genuine item. Thnecronomicon is about as real as lightsabres.

Vampenguin
06-21-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Vodstok
Thnecronomicon is about as real as lightsabres.

And who says lightsabres arent real? Lol

zwoti
06-21-2004, 09:52 AM
necronomicon, invented by hp lovecraft and first turned up in the story "the nameless city" (1921). according to the mythos it was originally called "al azif" of the mad arab abdul alhazred, translated into latin (the book of dead names) by olaus wormius.

there is a book by george hay, which is half literary spoof/serious lovecraft scholarship

nine9
06-21-2004, 11:55 AM
I've had this book for years. Had been told it was true, but now I know otherwise..... :rolleyes: It would be cool if it were though.......well maybe not.:eek:

fluffho
06-21-2004, 12:04 PM
isnt that the book from beowulf?

grendel and alla them?

bwind22
06-21-2004, 12:06 PM
Here is a link to a pretty good page I found with lots of interesting stuff about the Necronomicon.

http://www.mystae.com/restricted/streams/scripts/necronomicon.html

Freddy Krueger.
06-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Plaguewind
And by the way, the book's name is Necronomicon, NOT Necronomican. It means "dead names" or something like that... Sorry, my Latin sucks! From what I herd, the Necronomicon, or also known as 'Book of the Dead' is not really bound in human fleshed and inked in blood as it says in 'Army od Darkness'. Thats all I really know of it... >.>