PDA

View Full Version : Most Underrated Film

Hate_Breeder
06-13-2004, 11:49 PM
I think that "The Ring" or "Ringu" is the most underrated film today..

wufongtan
06-14-2004, 12:11 AM
Thats a hard Q. i don't know how many times a critic had really panned a movie, even to the point of my not going to see it. but when i did eventualy see it , it was good or great. so i dont which one iwould say was the most underrated . theres been so many.

Hate_Breeder
06-14-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by wufongtan
Thats a hard Q. i don't know how many times a critic had really panned a movie, even to the point of my not going to see it. but when i did eventualy see it , it was good or great. so i dont which one iwould say was the most underrated . theres been so many.

I hear ya....28 days later was another

jay o2 waster
06-14-2004, 01:14 AM
i wouldn't call it underated because it would have to be known to be underated but i have to say this is a movie everyone should see:

http://image.allmusic.com/00/adg/cov150/DRT300/T321/t32188z5h8w.jpg

Vodstok
06-14-2004, 03:41 AM
How about overrated? I saw Mystic River this weekend and, my goodness. Bleh. Not awful, but not very good either. PLus, it is always hard to listen to decent actors BUTCHER a boston accent....

zes
06-14-2004, 04:32 AM
How about overrated? That is for definate, some of the highest rated films I've seen have been awful but some underrated ones are brilliant. But as to you question I can't think of just one either. A few recenter ones I can think of are Fear dot Com, Below and Long time dead.

Vodstok
06-14-2004, 05:03 AM
Ugh. Fear dot com was a terrible movie. it wasn underrated,, if it recieves any adulation at all, it is overrated.

BudMan
06-14-2004, 05:21 AM
Underated films. Exorcist 3. Another one that everyone seems to hate but I thought was pretty good was Jurassic Park 3.

Vodstok
06-14-2004, 05:32 AM
I agree on JP3 Bud. It never pretended to be anything other than a bunch of people stuck on dinosaur island. That is what the trailers made it out to be. Why did anyone expect anything else?

I think Alien 3 is one of the most maligned movies around, and doesnt really deserve to catch aas much shit as it does. I hated that they killed hicks and newt, btu they did well with that fact.....

nine9
06-14-2004, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Vodstok
How about overrated? I saw Mystic River this weekend and, my goodness. Bleh. Not awful, but not very good either. PLus, it is always hard to listen to decent actors BUTCHER a boston accent....

I just saw it too, and agree. Not really original either.

Ben Kingsley should have won for House of Sand And Fog. Very powerful movie, and a genuine Shakespearian like tragedy!

-->oscam5<--
06-14-2004, 07:00 AM
Im with ya there vodstok.
Both Jp3 [the best in the jurrasic park series] and Alien 3 were very good films, much underrated.

bloodrayne
06-14-2004, 07:04 AM
I actually liked all of the Jurassic Park movies...I don't know why everyone rags on them all the time:(

fattybluetit
06-14-2004, 07:12 AM
john carpenters vampires thats a classic but rare

GorePhobia
06-14-2004, 07:56 AM
mystic river was so very overrated and the ring was underrated but i think that bill and ted's excelent journy is underrated

ULTIMATE POSTER
06-14-2004, 08:34 AM
As newer movies goes, I think Wrong Turn was underrated, Freddy vs. Jason, sorry guys, over-rated.

Vodstok
06-14-2004, 08:38 AM
I agree with you 100% ultimate. FvJ sucked monkey balls, IMO.

Wrong turn was one i actually excpected to dislike immensly, but ended up liking it a lot.

Arioch
06-14-2004, 09:26 AM
I think Alien 3 is one of the most maligned movies around, and doesnt really deserve to catch aas much shit as it does. I hated that they killed hicks and newt, btu they did well with that fact.....

Agreed....its really not a bad movie and it is pretty well executed.....wrong turn on the other hand....

Hate_Breeder
06-14-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by GorePhobia
mystic river was so very overrated and the ring was underrated but i think that bill and ted's excelent journy is underrated

I totally agree with Gore on that one. I mean that Keanu Reeves and his friend provided some of the best acting talent ive ever seen! Funny Movie none the less.

And i liked wrong turn alright

KRUGERKID13
06-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Hate_Breeder
I think that "The Ring" or "Ringu" is the most underrated film today..

not that i don respect your opinion but are you mad that movie has such a huge fanbase and is way overrated. Look how much money it made in theaters

KRUGERKID13
06-14-2004, 01:32 PM
most underrated movie imo is cabin fever people just dont relise all the horror elements put into it. Its got elements from films like the thing, last house on the left, evil dead, and countless others

hellfire1
06-14-2004, 04:03 PM
this has been said before, but i thought the cell was pretty underrated. once you get past j. lopez, it's a pretty creepy film ( ugh... the she-man ! ). vincent d'onofrio is very underrated as an actor as well.

Arioch
06-14-2004, 04:05 PM
this has been said before, but i thought the cell was pretty underrated. once you get past j. lopez, it's a pretty creepy film ( ugh... the she-man ! ). vincent d'onofrio is very underrated as an actor as well

Hell YA!!! I fucking LOVE this movie and everyone else hates it just because of jennifer lopez....its a shame really....

Vampenguin
06-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by ULTIMATE POSTER
Freddy vs. Jason, sorry guys, over-rated.

Die.
Die Now.
Die A Slow,
Painful and Gruesome Death.
Right Now.
Die.

All I need to say, I think

As far as the actualy topic goes, I think some underrated ones would have to be,

The Time Machine(Remake)
House on Haunted Hill(Remake)
Mad City
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Underworld

Thats just IMO

friday13thfan
06-14-2004, 04:58 PM
id say NOES part 4 that was really underratted but i thought it was good

Freddy Krueger.
06-14-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by bloodrayne
I actually liked all of the Jurassic Park movies...I don't know why everyone rags on them all the time:( Same here. I actualy enjoyed those movies. The water in the foot-step moving was priceless. I mean, really, Dinosaurs coming back by DNA. How can you diss that?

KRUGERKID13
06-14-2004, 06:27 PM
vamp i definetly agree with the house on haunted hill (r) that movie rocks

Freddy Krueger.
06-14-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Vodstok
FvJ sucked monkey balls How fucking dare you, bitch? Just for that, you're off my favorite member list, and my list is ahard as hell to get on.

KRUGERKID13
06-14-2004, 06:38 PM
yeah fvj was awsome it had some inconsistencies but i kicked ass

Arioch
06-14-2004, 06:40 PM
id say NOES part 4 that was really underratted but i thought it was good

Agreed. It's got some really good scenes, like the roach scene, and the battle at the end in the cathedral ON TOP of the pue's that was kickass!!!

KRUGERKID13
06-14-2004, 07:02 PM
yeah that was cool the on NOES that i didnt care for that much was NOES 5. Not saying NOES 5 isnt good

Arioch
06-14-2004, 07:04 PM
I liked the motorcycle scene in 5, and the escher scene at the end with the staircases....and most of all, when freddy came back in the cathedral with that one broken arm...that looked BADASS....the one i cant stand is freddy's dead....nothing but comedy in that film really.....thank GOD we got new nightmare so we werent left with that piece of shit...

KRUGERKID13
06-14-2004, 07:09 PM
yeah i was really pleased with new nightmare

Amalthea
06-14-2004, 11:57 PM
Dracula 2001
League Of The Extraodinary Gentlemen
Poltergeist 3
Secret Of NIMH
The Last Unicorn
The Time Machine (Remake)
Underworld

KRUGERKID13
06-15-2004, 12:04 AM
clown house not big budget or well known but deserves to be

jay o2 waster
06-15-2004, 12:05 AM
I didn't really like underworld

MrShape
06-15-2004, 04:25 AM
I'll stick my neck out here and say Book Of Shaddows: Blair Witch Project 2. This was a much more interesting film then people made it out to be, and more entertaining then the original in my opinion.

Arioch
06-15-2004, 09:06 AM
I didn't really like underworld

One of the worst movies i've seen in a good while....

orangestar
06-15-2004, 09:29 AM
Pet Sematary 2, it doesnt get enough attention, it was actually pretty good.

I think Cabin Fever is underrated too. Awesome movie.

KRUGERKID13
06-15-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by orangestar
Pet Sematary 2, it doesnt get enough attention, it was actually pretty good.

I think Cabin Fever is underrated too. Awesome movie.

yes finally someone who agrees on the cabin fever thing

alot of stephen king sequals get underrated like carrie 2 i liked it

GorePhobia
06-15-2004, 06:43 PM
i liked nightmare 5 too

jay o2 waster
06-15-2004, 07:03 PM
me 2

Vampenguin
06-16-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by KRUGERKID13
yeah fvj was awsome it had some inconsistencies but i kicked ass

vamp i definetly agree with the house on haunted hill (r) that movie rocks

Wow.....I think you may just be one of my favorite members now....!

I just bought Haunted Hill for $7 at Zellers! Some sweet special features on that one, I tell ya.

GorePhobia
06-16-2004, 04:53 PM
house on haunted hill (r) did rock

IT ROCKED MY FUCKING SOX OFF

Vampenguin
06-16-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by GorePhobia
house on haunted hill (r) did rock

IT ROCKED MY FUCKING SOX OFF

Yay!!! Prolly my all time fave horror movie, but I havent seen many of the REAL classics yet, tho.

Hate_Breeder
06-16-2004, 05:41 PM
The remake was ok. The only part i didnt like was the whole soul devouring thing at the end but other than that.....

bloodrayne
06-16-2004, 05:54 PM
Okay, not horror but...Bulletproof and Long Kiss Goodnight are two really good movies that I don't believe EVER received enough recognition

Hate_Breeder
06-16-2004, 10:53 PM
Okay, not horror but...Bulletproof and Long Kiss Goodnight are two really good movies that I don't believe EVER received enough recognition

Bulletproof=Awesome Fuckin movie! My dad lost it though...
Long Kiss Goodnight=another great movie....i still have that one though

Crow
06-17-2004, 07:24 AM
Friday the 13th part 8
C.H.U.D.
They Live

Vampenguin
06-17-2004, 07:45 AM

I havent seen Long Kiss Goodnight,but I agree 100% on Bulletproof. Funny. Action-Packed. Now chuck a vampire or a Zombie in there, and......well, it would ruin that particular movie, but the formula would be perfect.....Horror/Comedy/Action....he he he

movieman64
06-17-2004, 07:57 AM
The Eye

MrShape
06-17-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Hate_Breeder
I think that "The Ring" or "Ringu" is the most underrated film today.. I wouldn't consider Ringu to be underrated. The film completely revitalized horror in Asia and not a lot of Jap horror films get made that don't make a nod to Ringu (Ju-On is a cool series but obviously takes some cues from Ringu). I wouldn't call it overrated either as it has some of the creepiest atmosphere I've seen in a Japanese horror film in a long time Some of this is lost in Dreamwork's DVD which unnecesarily brightens up the print. The jap DVD has much darker contrasts and works better.

Hate_Breeder
06-17-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by MrShape
I wouldn't consider Ringu to be underrated. The film completely revitalized horror in Asia and not a lot of Jap horror films get made that don't make a nod to Ringu (Ju-On is a cool series but obviously takes some cues from Ringu). I wouldn't call it overrated either as it has some of the creepiest atmosphere I've seen in a Japanese horror film in a long time Some of this is lost in Dreamwork's DVD which unnecesarily brightens up the print. The jap DVD has much darker contrasts and works better.
\
Im just saying this because most the people in America whos seen it are like " I hate that movie....it wasnt even scary" so im just saying it isnt getting the recognition it deserves...

KRUGERKID13
06-18-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Crow
Friday the 13th part 8
C.H.U.D.
They Live

yeah i agree except with the whole they live

jay o2 waster
06-18-2004, 12:59 AM
yeah i agree except with the whole they live
I quoted you.....and what r u gonna do about it

KRUGERKID13
06-18-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by jay o2 waster
I quoted you.....and what r u gonna do about it

kill your family

jay o2 waster
06-18-2004, 01:06 AM
kill your family

I was drinking orange juice when i read this and i spit it all over the key board......lmao, i needed that

ps, my butt itches

MrShape
06-19-2004, 08:15 AM
Another one to add would be Alex Proyas' Dark City. This is a really great film from the guy who made The Crow that nobody seems to have seen. I was a little pissed off when The Matrix copied it's central premise (a guy with special powers is persued by unknown forces through a world that turns out to be false) from Proyas' film and DC was much better done then Matrix. But Matrix was a hit and DC was not (despite an endorsement from Roger Ebert). Can't wait for Proyas' I, Robot.