PDA

View Full Version : Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut to get DVD Release!

neverending
07-19-2013, 06:56 PM
The story behind the film version of Clive Barker's Nightbreed is legendary. The studio cut Barker's finished version to fashion it into a standard slasher film, and the film did poorly at the box office.

The cut footage was discovered in a closet in Barker's home a few years ago, along with other unused footage. Barker's staff reassembled the film and the restored version has been making convention and festival appearances since then, to fabulous acclaim.

I recently had the great fortune to see the restored film at a festival, and posted about it in the last seen film thread. Needless to say, I was blown away.

Now, here comes this truly wonderful news!

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/175127-breaking-scream-factory-to-release-clive-barkers-nightbreed-the-cabal-cut-darkman-assault-on-precinct-13-and-more

cheebacheeba
07-19-2013, 09:02 PM
I have a Clive Barker book called Cabal.
Picked it up at a...I think a library sale or a thrift/charity shop?
Pretty sure I got it for 50c.
Have never read it, I got it when I saw it was by Barker and thought yep, I should check that out.

I didn't know it was related to Nightbreed, which I've heard of many a time but never actually seen.
Funny thing, I have a copy of that on a VHS that I picked up much the same way.

Given that I have neither read the book or seen the film, which do you think I should do first?

neverending
07-19-2013, 09:09 PM
You should probably read the book first, and then watch the film. You'll be disappointed in the film, but when The Cabal Cut comes out, get that, and be amazed at how much better it is.

Elvis_Christ
07-19-2013, 10:35 PM
This is great news. Can't wait to pick up a copy.

@cheeba: I watched the movie first then read the book and enjoyed both. Thought the movie was great then the book fleshed it out more.

Kandarian Demon
07-19-2013, 11:56 PM
That is definitely great news! :)

knife_fight
07-20-2013, 03:48 AM
YES!!!!
I'll be going to a screening of this at Dragon*Con with some of the actors and the director of the Cabal Cut. I can't wait!
Love this movie.

newb
07-20-2013, 05:29 AM
This is great news. Can't wait to pick up a copy.

I second that

_____V_____
07-20-2013, 05:42 AM
Indeed. My copy has gotten old so looking forward to one of these hitting the stores nearby.

neverending
07-20-2013, 09:08 AM
As I mentioned in the DVD thread, at the showing I attended one of the actors in the film was in attendance. In the release cut of the film his role is pretty small. In the Cabal Cut it's larger and more significant. That night was the first time he saw his role as Barker had intended, and it was quite an emotional experience for him.

neverending
07-20-2013, 09:42 AM
Make no mistake- it was at the studio's insistance that Dekker's role was expanded, to make the film more of a traditional slasher. In the Cabal Cut, there's less Dekker, so if you really like that character, you might have some disappointment.

Giganticface
07-20-2013, 09:47 AM
I'm pretty excited about this. Nightbreed used to be a favorite of mine when I was younger. I know I watched it at least 3 or 4 times. And then I distinctly remember the last time I saw it, probably 20 years ago, and I decided I didn't like it anymore, and have never watched it since. I don't remember why, just that I thought it was flawed somehow, and no longer worth my time. I'm hoping (and expecting) that the Cabal Cut will bring it back to life for me.

Bob Gray
07-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Been waiting for this for a long time.

Macready
07-30-2014, 11:13 PM
anyone who knows and likes this movie..

well I love you .. a great flic..