PDA

View Full Version : Most Obscure Horror Movie

metternich1815
07-18-2013, 10:42 AM
What is the most obscure horror movie you can think of from the 1970s to today (you may list more than one)?

neverending
07-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Well, I guess if I can think of it, it's not that obscure. :p

neverending
07-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Okay, I'll give it a shot for real. IMDB lists this as Action/Drama/Thriller but I think there are enough horror elements to classify it as a horror film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100661/

Sonny Boy. (1989)

A small time crime boss and his transvestite wife, played by David Carradine keep a small boy prisoner in a cage on their desert compound. They've cut out his tongue, and the crime boss (Paul Smith) torments the boy mercilessly, so he grows up a raging monster. Eventually the monster escapes and goes on a rampage in the surrounding area. Cast includes Conrad Janis and Brad Dourif.

It's one seriously strange movie, and Carradine as the transvestite wife gives the performance of his career. It's never been released in any format anywhere, and had a very limited initial run. This automatically makes it far more abscure than any film any of you mention once having had on an old tape or disc in the past. I only managed to catch it on one of TCM's "secret showings" where they don't list the film in their schedule- they just pop it in unannounced.

realdealblues
07-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Heavy Metal Massacre (1989) is a pretty obscure one I have...I haven't even seen a VHS tape come up on Ebay in quite a long time.

Sledgehammer (1983) is another one that is pretty obscure and hard to find on VHS.

That said, Both are awful and I don't recommend watching either unless you like being tortured...lol. My local video store (long since closed) back in the 80's & 90's had some doozies. Me and a friend rented every single horror movie they had one year. Good times, and we soon were able to laugh at seriously bad cinema and find a real enjoyment factor in it.

Kandarian Demon
07-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Well, I guess I could cheat and mention a Danish horror movie, and you would most likely have no idea what I was talking about :p

But seriously... I'm thinking "Galaxy of Terror", but it doesn't seem to be as obscure anymore as it once was... and I'm not sure if it ever was for those of you who are American, but it took me YEARS to find a new copy when my old tape broke. It says a lot about the time it took that my old copy was on a betamax tape and the new one is on DVD :D

Ferox13
07-18-2013, 03:04 PM
I think I may have "Galaxy of Terror" - it had great box art.

realdealblues
07-19-2013, 04:58 AM
Well, I guess I could cheat and mention a Danish horror movie, and you would most likely have no idea what I was talking about :p

But seriously... I'm thinking "Galaxy of Terror", but it doesn't seem to be as obscure anymore as it once was... and I'm not sure if it ever was for those of you who are American, but it took me YEARS to find a new copy when my old tape broke. It says a lot about the time it took that my old copy was on a betamax tape and the new one is on DVD :D

Galaxy Of Terror is a classic. It's out on DVD now in America so yeah it's not hard to find anymore, but it was for a time.

Elvis_Christ
07-21-2013, 11:44 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100661/
Sonny Boy. (1989)

This looks amazing I'm grabbing a rip of it now to give it a spin tonight.

EDIT: looks like you can still pick it up on VHS (http://www.amazon.com/Sonny-Boy-VHS-Griffin-Michael/dp/6301979850/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1374479265&sr=1-1&keywords=sonny+boy).

neverending
07-22-2013, 12:33 AM
That's amazing. I've always heard this was never released in any vhs or dvd form. It's just the kind of film you'd love, Elvis. Ferox would love it too.

Ferox13
07-23-2013, 12:34 AM
That's amazing. I've always heard this was never released in any vhs or dvd form. It's just the kind of film you'd love, Elvis. Ferox would love it too.

Yeah - I rented it on VHS when it came out (so it got a UK release for sure). Great film. I have a copy of it somewhere too.

neverending
07-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Another great obscure film is Night of the Bloody Apes. It's the dubbed version of a Mexican horror film that includes masked female wrestlers, footage of actual open heart surgery, a monster that is nothing more than a guy wearing a gorilla mask, topless females and a gory eye gouging sequence.

The Villain
07-23-2013, 02:42 PM
Another great obscure film is Night of the Bloody Apes. It's the dubbed version of a Mexican horror film that includes masked female wrestlers, footage of actual open heart surgery, a monster that is nothing more than a guy wearing a gorilla mask, topless females and a gory eye gouging sequence.

I actually have that movie downloaded. Definitely gonna have to watch it.

Ferox13
07-23-2013, 11:35 PM

Great Movie - coulda done with some wrasslin' the ape scenes though. The film was actually banned in the UK during the video nasty era (I have a UK ex-rental copy of the VHS - which may be worth a few quid). The film is pretty much a remake of the directors earlier (though less violent), Doctor of Doom which also a UK release.

The director's son also made some great exploitation films which got UK VHS releases that are probably pretty obscure now (but I image still on DVD) like the excellent, Guyana: Crime of the Century (a Jim Jones biopic in everything but name) and Survive (Another biopic about cannibal rugby players).

A lot of very obscure horror has not come out on DVD like Incubus - the William Shatner horror filmed entirely in Esperanto. However I don't think DEAFULA has yet to be released for the digital age:

http://www.prattlibrary.org/uploadedImages/www/books_and_media/blog/Pratt_Library_Blog/deafula_cropped%281%29.jpg

neverending
07-23-2013, 11:42 PM
I've seen Incubus. Crazy movie.

I'd love to see Deafula!

phantomstranger
07-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Dracula's Dog(1977)

And it really lived up to it's name.

DeaditeDave
07-25-2013, 06:06 PM
Awesome late 80s french horror movie '3615 code pere noel' i think it's 'Game Over' in the us. Anyway, great movie, saw it as a kid and it scared me for years. If you haven't seen it I definitely recommend it. Hard to find. I have it on VHS and made a dvd copy of it, but it took me years to find the VHS copy. you can watch the whole movie on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_EL9xgQOcs

Giganticface
07-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Awesome late 80s french horror movie '3615 code pere noel' i think it's 'Game Over' in the us. Anyway, great movie, saw it as a kid and it scared me for years. If you haven't seen it I definitely recommend it. Hard to find. I have it on VHS and made a dvd copy of it, but it took me years to find the VHS copy. you can watch the whole movie on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_EL9xgQOcs

Thanks for the tip. I might give it a whirl. Good first post.

Just curious, how did you manage to see such an obscure movie as a kid? Were your parents into trippy stuff, and are you French?