PDA

View Full Version : 75 Best Horror Movies of All Time - Rotten Tomatoes

metternich1815
07-11-2013, 07:41 PM
I thought this was an interesting link:http://www.listchallenges.com/best-horror-movies-of-all-time-rotten-tomatoes?ref=share. So, how many have you seen?

neverending
07-11-2013, 09:18 PM

That's a decent list. Though I haven't seen Paranorman, something makes me doubt its inclusion.

Giganticface
07-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Cool, thanks for sharing. I've only seen 47. A lot of the old ones I've yet to see.

Personally, I don't think Drag Me too Hell and Cabin in the Woods should be on that list. Not bad movies, but not top 75 of all time.

Sculpt
07-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Cool, thanks for sharing. I've only seen 47. A lot of the old ones I've yet to see.

Personally, I don't think Drag Me too Hell and Cabin in the Woods should be on that list. Not bad movies, but not top 75 of all time.
I enjoyed Cabin in the Woods, but I definitely wouldn't put in my top 75. I just saw House on Haunted Hill 1999 a few days ago, and I didn't even think it was that good, let alone one of the best all-time. Still, overall, it's a very good list. They missed The Thing 82.

bamahorrorfan87
07-11-2013, 11:28 PM
49 .

Giganticface
07-12-2013, 12:37 AM
I enjoyed Cabin in the Woods, but I definitely wouldn't put in my top 75. I just saw House on Haunted Hill 1999 a few days ago, and I didn't even think it was that good, let alone one of the best all-time. Still, overall, it's a very good list. They missed The Thing 82.

Oh wow, how did they miss The Thing? Glaring omission. I agree though -- overall, good list.

realdealblues
07-12-2013, 04:59 AM
What a crappy list. I've seen all of them but Paranorman. I don't see how half of them made the list. Attack The Block is one of the best 75 horror movies of all time...really!? Friday The 13th isn't on the list but Paris Hilton and the House Of Wax remake makes the cut? Wtf?

hammerfan
07-12-2013, 05:15 AM
What a crappy list. I've seen all of them but Paranorman. I don't see how half of them made the list. Attack The Block is one of the best 75 horror movies of all time...really!? Friday The 13th isn't on the list but Paris Hilton and the House Of Wax remake makes the cut? Wtf?

I think I'll skip looking at the list.

Giganticface
07-12-2013, 07:25 AM

Heh, yeah I don't think that list was comprised of a lot of people's input. It's just one guy's opinion of the best 75. I didn't realize that was the remake of House of Wax. -1, haven't seen it. Probably never will.

hammerfan
07-12-2013, 07:35 AM
Heh, yeah I don't think that list was comprised of a lot of people's input. It's just one guy's opinion of the best 75. I didn't realize that was the remake of House of Wax. -1, haven't seen it. Probably never will.

Good call. :D

neverending
07-12-2013, 07:35 AM
I think it's probably the top rated 75 horror films on Rotten Tomatoes. Sure, there's some crap there, but a surprising amount of what's there should be.

There's crap in HDC's top 100 as well.

To calculate Best Horror, we used a special mathematical formula, forged in the very depths of hell by Hollywood accountants. This formula considers a movie's Tomatometer, its number of reviews (requiring at least 20) and release year, delivering a unique weighted ranking for each.

realdealblues
07-12-2013, 09:50 AM
I think it's probably the top rated 75 horror films on Rotten Tomatoes. Sure, there's some crap there, but a surprising amount of what's there should be.

I take all the lists with a grain of salt because there aren't any guidelines. How do you rate what the greatest Horror movies of all time are? Box Office Sales? Impact on the Genre or Culture in general? Scare factor? Memorable characters? It's tough to judge. How much of personal preference goes into those lists?

I remember when "The Ring" came out and I swear that's all I heard about for weeks. How great and scary that movie was. It took me 3 consecutive days to get through that movie. The first time I sat down to watch it I fell asleep about 30 minutes in due to sheer utter boredom. I went back the next day (well rested) and started the movie from where I left off and fell asleep again after about another 30 minutes due to extreme boredom. I went back and finally made it through the last bit on the 3rd day. That's the only time I've ever fallen asleep multiple times on a movie, let alone taking me 3 days to get through it.

Obviously, I wouldn't rank it very highly but yet I see it on lots of lists. I use the lists more as a tool to see if there's something I haven't seen and might want to watch.

metternich1815
07-12-2013, 09:54 AM
I take all the lists with a grain of salt because there aren't any guidelines. How do you rate what the greatest Horror movies of all time are? Box Office Sales? Impact on the Genre or Culture in general? Scare factor? Memorable characters? It's tough to judge. How much of personal preference goes into those lists?

I remember when "The Ring" came out and I swear that's all I heard about for weeks. How great and scary that movie was. It took me 3 consecutive days to get through that movie. The first time I sat down to watch it I fell asleep about 30 minutes in due to sheer utter boredom. I went back the next day (well rested) and started the movie from where I left off and fell asleep again after about another 30 minutes due to extreme boredom. I went back and finally made it through the last bit on the 3rd day. That's the only time that has ever happened in my life with any movie.

Obviously, I wouldn't rank it very highly but yet I see it on lots of lists. I use the lists more as tool to see if there's something I haven't seen and might want to watch.

That is funny because I thought the Ring was stupid for the longest time, despite never seeing it. Then, I actually watched it and was completely blown away. I thought it was an excellent film with a great story and really good acting. Additionally, I thought it was very good at building suspense. Ultimately, I believe that this film was definitely as good as the hype claimed it was. Of course, supernatural stuff naturally scares me. Note: it was not as scary the second time, but no less good, in my opinion.

metternich1815
07-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Initially, my score was 54, but by the end of today, it will be up to 58. By the way, I do not agree with all the films on the list (ex: Paranorman and the House of Wax-remake being some examples), but, overall, as neverending stated it is a pretty good list. I do agree that The Thing (1982) is a glaring omission. I also completely disagree on what has been said about The Cabin in the Woods (2012). It definitely deserves to be on a top 75 list. In fact, it would make my top 20 list, easy. It was an absolutely brilliant film that was both intelligent and hilarious. The acting was incredibly good and the character were very well-developed. Additionally, I loved the story. It was incredibly weird and, personally, I have always been a lover of strange storylines (2001: A Space Odyssey is one of my favorite movies). Anyway, in my opinion, The Cabin in the Woods definitely deserves to be in the top 75, if not top 20 of all-time.

tiberius
07-12-2013, 10:06 AM

Pretty good list.

realdealblues
07-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Initially, my score was 54, but by the end of today, it will be up to 58. By the way, I do not agree with all the films on the list (ex: Paranorman and the House of Wax-remake being some examples), but, overall, as neverending stated it is a pretty good list. I do agree that The Thing (1982) is a glaring omission. I also completely disagree on what has been said about The Cabin in the Woods (2012). It definitely deserves to be on a top 75 list. In fact, it would make my top 20 list, easy. It was an absolutely brilliant film that was both intelligent and hilarious. The acting was incredibly good and the character were very well-developed. Additionally, I loved the story. It was incredibly weird and, personally, I have always been a lover of strange storylines (2001: A Space Odyssey is one of my favorite movies). Anyway, in my opinion, The Cabin in the Woods definitely deserves to be in the top 75, if not top 20 of all-time.

See, I had the exact opposite opinion of The Cabin In The Woods...lol. It wouldn't go in my top 2000. All the hype about the twist ending and how the movie was so "messed" up. I watched it and knew in the 1st two minutes the whole story of the movie and by 20 minutes in I knew exactly how it was going to end. I felt like I was a baby being spoon fed everything never being allowed to think for myself.

2001: A Space Odyssey however I agree with you on...it is an absolute masterpiece. Kubrick gave you every chance to think for yourself and decide what you were seeing.

metternich1815
07-12-2013, 10:21 AM
See, I had the exact opposite opinion of The Cabin In The Woods...lol. It wouldn't go in my top 2000. All the hype about the twist ending and how the movie was so "messed" up. I watched it and knew in the 1st two minutes the whole story of the movie and by 20 minutes in I knew exactly how it was going to end. I felt like I was a baby being spoon fed everything never being allowed to think for myself.

2001: A Space Odyssey however I agree with you on...it is an absolute masterpiece. Kubrick gave you every chance to think for yourself and decide what you were seeing.

I understand what you are saying, but disagree. I do agree it would have been better if they did not explain anything.

CaraBloodyCara
07-12-2013, 10:57 AM

I was pretty shocked about the House of Wax remake being included, as well as Paranorman. I would have liked to see Cabin Fever over that.

Anyways, my score is 62.

Sculpt
07-12-2013, 01:10 PM
True dat. There's around 10 I think are poor films -- sign of one person's list. I thought that was the original House of Wax as well.

Sculpt
07-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Say, Real, did you see The Innocents? What did you think of it?

Sculpt
07-12-2013, 01:30 PM

Check this out, Neverending, on RT.com the tomato meter on House on Haunted Hill 1999 (the pic icon is clearly the 1999) has Critic Review rating of 29% and Fan Review rating of 49%.

But I'm quite sure the picture icon of the film is an error, as House on Haunted Hill 1959 is rated 95% and 70%, respectively. Means the other film pic icons for remakes may be wrong as well. That being the case, then it goes back to actually being a straight 'highest Critics RT.com rating list', just like you said. And that works out, as Nosferatu 22 and King Kong 33 are the highest Critic rated.

nightmare_of _death
07-12-2013, 01:43 PM
I got a score of 49
quite a few gems on there. I think they make up for the crap that's on the list.

newb
07-12-2013, 06:33 PM
59 here
many greats on there but yeah....House of Wax remake...and not the original???

Sculpt
07-12-2013, 07:59 PM
59 here
many greats on there but yeah....House of Wax remake...and not the original???
It's which ever one has the highest Critic's Review rating on RT.com.

Freak
07-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Only managed to get a 39. Have to say I'm a little disappointed in myself.

Ferox13
07-13-2013, 05:25 AM
Seen 72.5 (only saw half of Cronos)

Not seen Phantom of the Opera or Vampyr (despite having the later on VHS for about 18 years)

realdealblues
07-13-2013, 07:27 AM
Say, Real, did you see The Innocents? What did you think of it?

Yeah, It's a classic, but anything with Deborah Kerr usually is. Beautifully shot, it deserves the praise it gets.

ChronoGrl
07-22-2013, 07:58 AM
I've seen 54... Not a bad list I suppose, considering that I believe that the masses are typically idiots (IMDB scores and comments always baffle me)

Sculpt
07-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Yeah, It's a classic, but anything with Deborah Kerr usually is. Beautifully shot, it deserves the praise it gets.
Deborah Kerr is such a beauty, and fine actress. I agree it was beautifully shot and well acted. The story is interesting. The boy possessed by the former valet is creepy for sure.

Of course, I prefer when I highly appreciate every film I see, especially highly regarded ones. Besides the aspects of the film that were accomplished, I thought the film was a bit plodding (I need to find a new word) and not very scary. Just wondered if I was the only one who thought that.

Aylmer23
07-30-2013, 06:03 AM
The Blair Witch Project is in there? WHY????

metternich1815
07-30-2013, 08:06 AM
The Blair Witch Project is in there? WHY????

Because it was an absolutely brilliant film and, more importantly, one of the most impactful films in the genre after such films as The Exorcist and Jaws. I have never understood all the hate for Blair Witch. Of course, the list is entirely based on ratings on Rotten Tomatoes.

Sculpt
07-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Because it was an absolutely brilliant film and, more importantly, one of the most impactful films in the genre after such films as The Exorcist and Jaws. I have never understood all the hate for Blair Witch. Of course, the list is entirely based on ratings on Rotten Tomatoes.

You're not the only one, Mett. I saw Blair Witch in the theatre and was along for the ride. I really enjoyed the story and film, er I mean movie, experience. I liked it up to the very last scene, which, as I recall, the heroine goes down into the basement and finds one of the main male figures facing the wall, mumbling, and then the camera turns away, the end. I thought that was an extraordinarily poor ending. I didn't think it was interesting, creative, scary, shocking, exciting, cathartic nor complete; and was very anticlimactic to me. That's why I'd never consider it one of the best ever.

I think they could have had a fantastic ending. For instance, when she gets down into the basement, she could have found the guy slightly hovering. Then he turns to her, with an evil 'witch possessed' face, looking ultra excited to attack her. He pulls out a large serrated hunting knife, and gives her an evil smile, and slowly moves toward her. We then see him tense up and shake with a bellowing "No!" scream, as he wrestles control over himself from the witch, and then flies backward, while appearing to go translucent, and enters into the solid basement wall, with a cool wall swallowing sound, with his clothes and knife pressing flat against the basement wall, and slowly the knife releases and falls to the ground. For me, that would be an interesting, and cathartic ending.

metternich1815
07-30-2013, 07:35 PM
You're not the only one, Mett. I saw Blair Witch in the theatre and was along for the ride. I really enjoyed the story and film, er I mean movie, experience. I liked it up to the very last scene, which, as I recall, the heroine goes down into the basement and finds one of the main male figures facing the wall, mumbling, and then the camera turns away, the end. I thought that was an extraordinarily poor ending. I didn't think it was interesting, creative, scary, shocking, exciting, cathartic nor complete; and was very anticlimactic to me. That's why I'd never consider it one of the best ever.

I think they could have had a fantastic ending. For instance, when she gets down into the basement, she could have found the guy slightly hovering. Then he turns to her, with an evil 'witch possessed' face, looking ultra excited to attack her. He pulls out a large serrated hunting knife, and gives her an evil smile, and slowly moves toward her. We then see him tense up and shake with a bellowing "No!" scream, as he wrestles control over himself from the witch, and then flies backward, while appearing to go translucent, and enters into the solid basement wall, with a cool wall swallowing sound, with his clothes and knife pressing flat against the basement wall, and slowly the knife releases and falls to the ground. For me, that would be an interesting, and cathartic ending.

It appears you have given this some thought. Personally, I do not think that that ending would match the rest of the film. The brilliance of this film was what it did not show. In my opinion, the ending was perfect. It would definitely make my top 75, more likely my top 20.

Sculpt
07-30-2013, 08:23 PM
It appears you have given this some thought. Personally, I do not think that that ending would match the rest of the film. The brilliance of this film was what it did not show. In my opinion, the ending was perfect. It would definitely make my top 75, more likely my top 20.
Oh, sure, I get the value of what's not shown. That can be done effectively, as long as the director remembers it's a movie, not a book. If you go with the 'what's not seen', I would have preferred the movie did not show the guy facing the wall.

How about this... we pick it up where she's shooting the video as she's walking down the basement steps, and then it appears as though the camera is pulled away from her, points back at her, and while pointing at her the camera appears to be swirling around in a bigger and bigger circle, going back and back, we see her shocked face, and then the shot spins out into blackness. How about that ending?

Or is it, in the whole of time and the multiverse, there could never be a better ending than the current ending? = )

Giganticface
07-30-2013, 08:29 PM

I agree. The ending was the scariest part of the film for me. It literally gave me goosebumps in the theater, and the image of the guy standing in the corner is etched in my mind forever. Subsequent viewings didn't have the same effect, but that first time.... *shiver*

metternich1815
07-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Oh, sure, I get the value of what's not shown. That can be done effectively, as long as the director remembers it's a movie, not a book. If you go with the 'what's not seen', I would have preferred the movie did not show the guy facing the wall.

How about this... we pick it up where she's shooting the video as she's walking down the basement steps, and then it appears as though the camera is pulled away from her, points back at her, and while pointing at her the camera appears to be swirling around in a bigger and bigger circle, going back and back, we see her shocked face, and then the shot spins out into blackness. How about that ending?

Or is it, in the whole of time and the multiverse, there could never be a better ending than the current ending? = )

That is a pretty good ending, but, to be honest, I really enjoy the current ending. It still creeps me out. Actually, this film, despite having seen it 15 times still terrifies me.

Sculpt
07-31-2013, 01:29 AM
That is a pretty good ending, but, to be honest, I really enjoy the current ending. It still creeps me out. Actually, this film, despite having seen it 15 times still terrifies me.
You're a gentleman, Mett. = )

I did a little digging, and found this explanation of why the Blair Witch Project was highly appreciated. It makes good sense to me. Is this basically what you and Gigan thought as well?

Source (https://sites.google.com/site/alexisbrookex/the-blair-witch-project-the-mindjob-and-the-ending-explained)
The Blair Witch Project, the Mindjob, and the Ending Explained

***This write-up contains spoilers.*** If you haven’t seen this movie yet, do NOT read any further. I am TOTALLY not kidding about this.

The last scene of The Blair Witch Project is, in my opinion, the most ingeniously terrifying and psychologically traumatic scene in the history of cinema, and possibly won’t ever be, and in fact probably cannot be, equaled. The last minute of the film consists of Heather running through the witch’s house and down into the basement, where she sees either 1) the witch, 2) her friend Mike standing in the corner with his face to the wall, or 3) probably both (what she sees is never confirmed, but the camera catches a view for several seconds of Mike in the corner, so we could assume that she atleast saw this). Her screams are quickly silenced, and the camera she’s carrying drops immediately to the floor and records for several more seconds before stopping.

Now, the last ten seconds are something that I will hereafter refer politely to as the cinematic mindjob, if you prefer. The last scene is the culmination and meaning of the entire movie. Nothing that occurs prior to the ending is particularly important (or scary, for that matter, in my opinion), save for one scene at the beginning of the movie that is required for the mindjob to work properly. While it’s interesting to watch the mental deterioration of the characters for the other ninety minutes, the point of this film is ultimately the proverbial kick in the head it gives the viewer at the end. Here’s how it works:

The last scene reveals Mike standing in the corner of the basement with his face to the wall. Why was he standing there? The answer is: because the Blair Witch told him to. No, he wasn’t under her spell. Nor was he stunned, dead, or hanging from the ceiling. He stood in the corner because he was told to by the Blair Witch. Any other explanation causes the failure of the mindjob to occur and, thus, destroys the entire meaning of the film, making the ending about as scary as a doorknob.

Understanding Mike’s behaviour is the key to the mindjob working. At the beginning of the movie, the characters are told a story about a serial killer named Rustin Parr who, decades ago, presumably under the influence of the Blair Witch, murdered a number of children. Parr would bring the children into his basement in groups of two to kill them. According to the story, he could not bear to have the children’s eyes on him while he killed, so he would tell one child to stand in the corner while he killed the first; he would then kill the child he made stand in the corner.

A young child would likely be very easy to order to stand in a corner by a knife-wielding, witch-possessed madman. A grown man, especially one who had heard the Rustin Parr story, would be nigh-impossible to convince. And yet, there Mike stands in the corner.

Enter the mindjob: what could *possibly* be so horrifying that it would cause a grown man to obediently stand in a corner and wait for his turn to be killed? When the viewer sees Mike doing this very thing and pieces this together with the Rustin Parr story from the beginning, the film forces the viewer to ask themselves this question. The viewer’s mind searches frantically for an answer to fill in this missing piece of information, but is unable to find a satisfactory answer. There IS nothing that is so horrifying that Mike would obey its command to stand and wait for death. And yet, there Mike stands; we can see him there waiting to die. The Blair Witch, who, naturally, cannot be displayed on screen, is something so horrible that it defies any sort of description, or even definition. That is the mindjob, the paradox: seeing Mike in the corner, instantly understanding the reason he’s doing so, and then being forced by the film to, in order to make sense of the scene, imagine something that ultimately the mind is incapable of defining.

Because of the nature of this event, it can only work once, and it must work on the viewer’s initial viewing. Comprehension of the meaning of the scene and all its implications must be done within a period of seconds.

neverending
07-31-2013, 01:48 AM
I disagree with this scenario in only one respect- I don't think the only reason someone would stand in the corner is because the witch told him to. If I was suddenly trapped in an abandoned basement by some huge freak with a big fucking machette or a gun, or even as Monty Python might put it "a big pointy stick," I'm standing facing the wall. I'm already half out of my mind, it's not going to take much to make me comply.

I'll admit to being confused by the ending when I saw the film, but I still found it scary.

metternich1815
07-31-2013, 04:15 AM
@ Sculpt That pretty much sums up why it's scary. Of course, neverending makes a good point too.

Giganticface
07-31-2013, 06:52 AM
That explanation is pretty good, and I think it explains why a viewer's first thought when seeing the image of Mike in the corner is that the event is supernatural in nature (or maybe I should just say witch-caused). The fact that he's a grown man doing that contributes to that notion and makes it all the more chilling. However, as neverending pointed out, the logic is flawed, and it doesn't prove that it's supernatural. That's one of the things that makes the ending scary though. You don't actually know what happened. The first thought might be supernatural, but then you start to wonder about other options. Is it actually a serial killer? If so, is he under the influence of the witch, our just using the story of the witch as inspiration to fuel his madness? Or is it really the Blair Witch, and if so what form does she take? The confusion and vagueness is why the ending works so well.

OliviaSlovak
08-02-2013, 06:41 AM
Not a bad list!!. alot of favorites of mine. I am happy they included Vampyre that movie is really awesome

Sculpt
08-02-2013, 01:59 PM
I disagree with this scenario in only one respect- I don't think the only reason someone would stand in the corner is because the witch told him to. If I was suddenly trapped in an abandoned basement by some huge freak with a big fucking machette or a gun, or even as Monty Python might put it "a big pointy stick," I'm standing facing the wall. I'm already half out of my mind, it's not going to take much to make me comply.

I'll admit to being confused by the ending when I saw the film, but I still found it scary.
Me too. I was a bit confused by the ending. I didn't connect the story told of Blair Witch with the ending. I saw that 14 years ago at the theatre with a group of friends. Not sure if I just didn't put it together, or I may have missed witch story due to friend interruption. Good reason to see it again sometime. Plus I'll see if I can grab some good audio clips for my radio show.

Sculpt
08-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Not a bad list!!. alot of favorites of mine. I am happy they included Vampyre that movie is really awesome
I'm ashamed to say I've never seen it. It's on my list. I've seen 56 of them, and a few partials of others. I'm looking forward to it. Anything in particular to look for in Vampyre? What are some of the things you like best about it, Olivia?

Tracy133
08-04-2013, 05:13 PM
I've seen 58. I watched Let the Right one In in a creepy little movie theater in Charlotte, NC. It's so old... It looks like something out of a horror movie. Of course I love it! The movie was awesome. I ended up buying the book.

Sculpt
08-04-2013, 07:32 PM
I've seen 58. I watched Let the Right one In in a creepy little movie theater in Charlotte, NC. It's so old... It looks like something out of a horror movie. Of course I love it! The movie was awesome. I ended up buying the book.
Funny you mention buying the book... I often will watch a movie when I sit down to a late dinner. I put on Let the Right One In, but, you guessed it, it has subtitles. So I guess you already read the book, in a way. :) It's really hard to eat a dinner while trying to read every line. That's one of my partial seen movies. Have to catch it before it leaves Netflix.

Sculpt
08-04-2013, 07:33 PM
-double post-

zombiegummiebear
11-28-2013, 04:28 PM
Sadly I've only watched 33 or so of them.

shadyJ
11-29-2013, 12:26 AM
Seem most, score of 65, and some like the House of Wax remake and Paranorman I am not interested in seeing. However, I am ashamed to admit I have yet to see Repulsion, I am putting that in my queue right now. I am interested in seeing Eyes Without a Face and The Innocents as well. For a list based on sheer populism, this list isn't as bad as it could have been, although my own list, if I had to make one, would be quite different.

roshiq
11-29-2013, 01:56 AM
73!

Decent list but surprised to see films like Paranorman, House of Wax (remake) & Attack the Block (hated it!) into the mix, when the title is Best horror movies of all time!?

Fearonsarms
02-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Seen 67 I also have no intention of seeing the House Of Wax remake and find it bizarre Attack The Block is there.

Yogobro298
02-05-2014, 05:47 PM
Blair Witch project was a disappointment for more,I liked it but expected alot more than what people told me

Crude
02-09-2014, 11:17 PM
Sad to say only seen 25 of the list, and also disappointed not to see make the list 'Friday 13th' 'Candyman' 'Brainscan' '13 Ghosts' and as for 'Paranorman' and 'Shaun of the Dead' to make the list I think they were just clasping at straws TBH.... not to mention they didnt even have 'The Ring' and 'The Grudge'... I could keep ranting but will stop there for now.

SodaGirl
02-15-2014, 10:36 PM
Only 32 for me so I have some catching up to do.

I enjoyed reading that Blair Witch write up, thanks for sharing.

Scarecrows
02-16-2014, 09:45 AM
54..Awesome list guys!!

FryeDwight
03-14-2014, 11:08 PM
Saw 66...like a lot of you, curious as some of these films (DRAG ME TO HELL, HOUSE OF WAX remake, DON't LOOK NOW etc) were in here::confused:: and could think of a few more deserving titles like THE HOWLING, FRIDAY, THE 13th (1980), DAY OF THE DEAD, THE TINGLER etc etc could have been put in. Well, as Sarah Jessica Parker said in ED WOOD, "It was just one man's opinion".

CreepyCarrie
03-15-2014, 10:28 AM
So far I've only seen 25. I just bought Jaws and the original Cat People so I'll be watching them soon. I was surprised too at some of the inclusions and also films that didn't make it. I couldn't stand Cabin in the Woods or the House of Wax remake. Definitely agree that John Carpenter's The Thing and Friday the 13th should have made it.

Angra
03-16-2014, 06:00 AM

I don't watch a lot i oldies.

The Villain
03-16-2014, 12:08 PM

Really dont agree with some of the movies on this list

simonleezombie
03-27-2014, 07:29 AM
I scored a 45--I thought I was better than that. Then I realized the list isn't great. I mean, obviously there is going to be varying degrees of taste, but there are some serious omissions on this list. Some already mentioned like the Thing, but seriously how could anyone leave the original Halloween off the list? Love it or hate it, it has to be in the top 75 of horror films. Also no Friday the 13th? I would have picked part 4, but jeez, you should put at least one of them on there. 28 Weeks Later, and multiple other omissions make me feel my score isn't too bad.

I do need to catch up on my Hammer films though, I've only ever seen one (I think it's Hammer), Captain Cronos or something.

That's a decent list. Though I haven't seen Paranorman, something makes me doubt its inclusion.

Paranorman is pretty good--I saw it with my son in the movie theater, I mean it's obviously a kid's movie, but it's a real creepy one. The people who made it definitely had a love of 80s horror. Should it be on the list? I don't know. It reminded me of a good version of Return of the Living Dead 2, and it has a cool synthesizer theme.

That movie was amazing, I far preferred it to the remake. The girl who played Eli was pretty phenomenal, though I heard rumors that's not her voice, they did a voice over because the actress' voice sounded too young.

Jigsaw 666
04-09-2014, 09:54 PM
amy of darkness
reanimator
child's play
child's play 2
child's play 3
bride of chucky
seed of chucky
curse of chucky
you're next
evil dead
evil dead 2
reanimator 2
fright night
fright night 2
28 days later
house of a 1,000 copies
smilly
rec
zombie
zombie 2
em st
friday the 13
freddy vs jason
ring
ring 2
hellraiser
hellraiser 2
alien
alien 2
alien 3
alien 4
psyco
psyco 2
decent
six cent
fright night 2

tfantasy
08-06-2014, 11:18 PM
It would not have been my top 75 but I like to see what other people watch ::cool::

starbaseone
08-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Blair Witch should definitely NOT be in there. The Rottentornadoes list isn't great, but the IMDB list is even worse!! Some are not even horror movies.

I'd rank The Changeling as the best, same as this list:

http://www.top2040.com/2014/08/top-20-horror-movies-of-all-time.html

My 2 cents.

starbaseone
08-10-2014, 07:51 PM
I've seen most of those, but I have a problem with a few on the list Silence-lambs isn't really horror, it's a thriller or mystery (or serial k). Shaun-dead is great comedy, but not really horror. yes? and ParaNorman, really?

This list is closer to my likes:

http://www.top2040.com/2014/08/top-20-horror-movies-of-all-time.html

starbaseone
08-10-2014, 08:05 PM
One more: Carnival of Souls!

I always thought that was a creepy movie, but it's missing from all the lists.