PDA

View Full Version : What films gave you a major jolt?

are_you_sad
06-11-2013, 04:24 PM
I am going to have a week later this month with the house all to myself. My wife is going away on a trip, so I'd like to watch some films at night after I come home from work.

To prepare for this, I'd like to get my hands on a bunch of films that truly will give me a jolt. By that I mean films that will leave me feeling emotionally exhausted and euphoric.

Films I've seen in the past that have given me this feeling were: Martyrs, Inside, Haute Tension, and The Woman. These are just some examples of what I'm talking about.

My question for all you guys is, what films (maybe not even necessarily horror) have given you a huge jolt?

Thanks!

The Villain
06-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Check out Cannibal Holocaust and Poughkeepsie Tapes (If you can find it.) I found them both disturbing.

MichaelMyers
06-11-2013, 06:16 PM
There was a thread a few months ago on animal torture you might search for. ;)

Bob Gray
06-11-2013, 07:08 PM
It really depends on what gives you that jolt you speak of, personally for me I would agree with The Villain about Cannibal Holocaust, it is very disturbing. Some others that have left me feeling drained are The Collector and The Collection, Grave Encounters and Grave Encounters 2, Alien 1 & 2, Altered States, The Blair Witch Project, The Changeling, Cube, The Exorcist, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, The Evil Dead, From Beyond, The Abandoned, The House by the Cemetery, The Orphanage, The Ring and The Ring 2, The Grudge and The Grudge 2, The Serpent and the Rainbow, Silent Hill, Sinister, Insidious, The Skeleton Key, Splinter, and Tourist Trap.

The Villain
06-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Anthropophagus is another particularly draining one

_____V_____
06-11-2013, 09:00 PM
http://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30312

Ferox13
06-12-2013, 06:21 AM
Threads

http://neofilm.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/rare-uk-tv-threads-1.jpg

are_you_sad
06-12-2013, 09:24 AM
It really depends on what gives you that jolt you speak of, personally for me I would agree with The Villain about Cannibal Holocaust, it is very disturbing. Some others that have left me feeling drained are The Collector and The Collection, Grave Encounters and Grave Encounters 2, Alien 1 & 2, Altered States, The Blair Witch Project, The Changeling, Cube, The Exorcist, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, The Evil Dead, From Beyond, The Abandoned, The House by the Cemetery, The Orphanage, The Ring and The Ring 2, The Grudge and The Grudge 2, The Serpent and the Rainbow, Silent Hill, Sinister, Insidious, The Skeleton Key, Splinter, and Tourist Trap.

Are you serious? I thought that was one of the most un-exhilarating films I have ever watched!?

metternich1815
06-12-2013, 01:12 PM

Many of those are really good. I also agree that Cannibal Holocaust was really disturbing (and I consider that an understatement). It has more sexually explicit and violence material than I have ever seen in any horror movie. In my opinion, It makes movies like Saw, The Human Centipede (which, by the way, I have not and probably never will see), and Hostel look like "kid's movies". I thought the Grudge was okay, but a little overrated and it did not scare me hardly at all. As far as being scared I would re-post the following films that I posted on another thread (I am not entirely sure what you mean by jolted)
Paranormal Activity (especially one and three)
The Devil Inside
The Blair Witch Project
The Haunting (1963)- did not terrify me, but it did sort of creep me out
Signs (creeps me out)
The Changeling (1980, not necessarily scary, but certainly creepy)

xX_StarChild_Xx
06-12-2013, 03:25 PM
I'll go out on a limb and suggest Harmony Korine's "Gummo". I would also suggest Combat Shock, There Will Be Blood and Leaving Las Vegas.

xX_StarChild_Xx
06-12-2013, 03:32 PM
I would suggest Harmony Korine (not entirely sure how to spell it) "Gummo" and "Julian, Donkey Boy". Also, Combat Shock, There Will Be Blood and Salo or The 120 Days of Sodom. That and Cannibal Holocaust are two of the most excruciating film viewing experiences ever.

Bob Gray
06-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Are you serious? I thought that was one of the most un-exhilarating films I have ever watched!?

Yes, it did actually unnerve me, I like it a lot. I love movies about voodoo and The Skeleton Key had a creepy vibe to it. It's just my opinion, I'm sure you like a few movies I wouldn't care for.

Bob Gray
06-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Many of those are really good. I also agree that Cannibal Holocaust was really disturbing (and I consider that an understatement). It has more sexually explicit and violence material than I have ever seen in any horror movie. In my opinion, It makes movies like Saw, The Human Centipede (which, by the way, I have not and probably never will see), and Hostel look like "kid's movies". I thought the Grudge was okay, but a little overrated and it did not scare me hardly at all. As far as being scared I would re-post the following films that I posted on another thread (I am not entirely sure what you mean by jolted)
Paranormal Activity (especially one and three)
The Devil Inside
The Blair Witch Project
The Haunting (1963)- did not terrify me, but it did sort of creep me out
Signs (creeps me out)
The Changeling (1980, not necessarily scary, but certainly creepy)

are_you_sad actually said jolt, I'm assuming he means movies that catch you off guard and really unnerve you to the point that you feel emotionally exhausted after a movie. The first Paranormal Activity was decent, I love The Haunting and it certainly can give you the creeps, I love Signs but not because it unnerves me, parts of it cracks me up.

metternich1815
06-12-2013, 07:27 PM
are_you_sad actually said jolt, I'm assuming he means movies that catch you off guard and really unnerve you to the point that you feel emotionally exhausted after a movie. The first Paranormal Activity was decent, I love The Haunting and it certainly can give you the creeps, I love Signs but not because it unnerves me, parts of it cracks me up.

In that case, I think you gave a pretty good list.

sleepaway
06-17-2013, 09:52 AM
Not really a jolt but The Changeling is one of only a handful of movies that actually freaked me out.

Bob Gray
06-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Not really a jolt but The Changeling is one of only a handful of movies that actually freaked me out.

Yeah, it's one of the better haunted house flicks.