PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know any films that are terrifying?

baconxpancakes
05-13-2013, 01:02 AM
Hi im max im new here.

im just wondering if anyone knows any films that are actually terrifying?

me and my mates have been watching films to try and find one that actually scares us but the only thing that does is playing the new slender game.

any recommendations?

cheers

Anthropophagus
05-13-2013, 05:31 AM
It is all about how you watch a movie and your mindset i feel.

It is impossible to be scared in the company of others,i always watch alone.And i never have any lights on,not even a side light.

I would also include age in the equation,the younger you are the less you appreciate the what the filmmaker is trying to achieve.many young people,not all but many want to see blood and gore and have no interest in plots or characterization but want to get to the juicy stuff,this always fails.

The terrifying days of horror where back in the seventies i feel,the modern era does not have the same effect as the true masters once did.Today's movies are all about titillation and gore,which is no bad thing but it isn't scary.

baconxpancakes
05-13-2013, 06:35 AM
yeah we do get a good atmosphere goin no lights on at all. all quite and surround sound turned up.

I'm 24 and i dont want just blood and guts i want to be really freaked out by a film. I think its more the possesion/paranomal type films that are best for it.

We watched grave encounters last night. the concept of the film is very clever and it is scary in parts but i just think it wasn't quite there if you know what i mean.

we also watched V/H/S a couple of weeks ago and i thought that was very clever and it shit me up in parts to.

maybe i will have to watch some of the Spanish and Japanese films. any idea if they give a good scare?

newb
05-13-2013, 07:14 AM
Watch "The Eye"...the original one---> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0325655/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

CRANK UP THE SURROUND SOUND....guaranteed you will be freaked out a couple of times

Sculpt
05-13-2013, 01:19 PM
It is all about how you watch a movie and your mindset i feel.

It is impossible to be scared in the company of others,i always watch alone.And i never have any lights on,not even a side light.

I would also include age in the equation,the younger you are the less you appreciate the what the filmmaker is trying to achieve.many young people,not all but many want to see blood and gore and have no interest in plots or characterization but want to get to the juicy stuff,this always fails.

The terrifying days of horror where back in the seventies i feel,the modern era does not have the same effect as the true masters once did.Today's movies are all about titillation and gore,which is no bad thing but it isn't scary.

Very true, the setting, and state of mind are important. Being with bold friends, especially if anyone is likely to make fun of movie, yell out some funny lines, one is just not going to get into a scare mode. Alone at night with no distractions is usually the best environment. An open mind, believing ('suspension of disbelief') and engrossing oneself into the story are required.

In my opinion there a few, if any, terrifying movies.

Scary is subjective, but I think for most the scariest movies would likely be The Exorcist and Amityville Horror. The Ring (US), Jaws, Poltergeist, Texas Chain Saw Massacre and Halloween build to some effective scariness; with Texas being horror. I've heard Salem's Lot and The Devil's Backbone are scary. Also heard Rec 2007, Ju-on (2002) are scary, but I haven't seen them yet.

phantomstranger
05-16-2013, 07:51 AM
Recommending a film that will terrify you is difficult since your the only one that truly knows what terrifies you. But here are some films from different eras that were considered scary at one point or another. Hope you enjoy them:
Nosferatu (1922)
Dracula (1931)
Bride Of Frankenstein (1936)
The Wolf Man (1941)
Horror Of Dracula (1958)
Last Man On Earth
Evil Dead (original)

Psycho (1961)
The Haunting (1961)
Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
Legend Of Hell House (1972)
The Exorcist
The Others
Hellraiser
Nightmare On Elm Street (original)
Halloween (original)
Dawn Of The Dead
The Descent
Jaws

Anthropophagus
05-17-2013, 08:13 AM
The Legend of Hell House is very creepy and a personal favorite of mine.

Cole1982
05-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Watch Jacob's Ladder by yourself in a dark room. Don't think of it as a horror movie. You will be scared. :)

Sculpt
05-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Watch Jacob's Ladder by yourself in a dark room. Don't think of it as a horror movie. You will be scared. :)
Good point, Cole. Being unsettled, in awe, humbled, in fear, scared, frightened, in a manner of speaking, certainly is not synonymous with horror. Jacob's Ladder was unsettling.

redrobin62
06-02-2013, 05:25 PM
The most terrifying film I'd even seen was the black & white Belgium film "Man Bites Dog." Oy, it was nerve-wracking!

crazy raplh
06-03-2013, 06:30 AM
VHS at least the first part, the party scene
I also thought ATM was good to

alex83
06-03-2013, 01:30 PM
I agree with all what have been recalled earlier.

As for me, I keep affirming that the more disturbing and terrifying movie is Antechrist (by Lars Von Trier logically).

Several scenes are frankly creepy. It's not that violent. It's not that gory. It's just kind of macabre... The result is very weird and you don't feel very good after having seen this one.

Apart from that, the opening scene is splendid...

metternich1815
06-09-2013, 06:05 PM
I don't know what scares you personally, but I will list some films that scare me (or at least creep me out).

Paranormal Activity (especially one and three)
The Devil Inside
The Blair Witch Project
The Haunting (1963)- did not terrify me, but it did sort of creep me out
Signs (creeps me out)
The Changeling (1980, not necessarily scary, but certainly creepy)

are_you_sad
06-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Paranormal Activity (especially one and three)

YES! Finally someone discusses the third one. I thought it was really scary!

metternich1815
06-12-2013, 12:56 PM

I agree I thought the first was the scariest and the third one was not far behind it. I also liked that it was set in 1988. I thought that that would make it less scary, but it didn't. The scenes I remember most vividly were when the sheet fell down and when they played that Bloody Mary game in the bathroom. I do want to be clear, although the second scariest one, to me, was the third, I still belive that the first was, by far, the scariest. The second one was still scary, but not as much as either one or three. Four had its moments, but it was, by far, the least scary. Not to mention, ridiculous (spoiler ahead) demonic, zombie witches, really? That is one of the worst horror movie endings I have ever seen.

Bob Gray
06-12-2013, 07:11 PM

I just couldn't get into it, too tedious waiting around for stuff to happen.

opaqueghost
06-20-2013, 04:15 PM
I'm sorry but all those lists are terrible.

Watch

The poughkeepsie tapes
VHS 1 AND 2
The house of the devil
Sinister
Dark skies
The new Maniac

metternich1815
06-20-2013, 04:34 PM
I'm sorry but all those lists are terrible.

Watch

The poughkeepsie tapes
VHS 1 AND 2
The house of the devil
Sinister
Dark skies
The new Maniac

That is your opinion, many will disagree. What scares you varies from what scares other people. I actually did not think that Sinister was as scary as people claimed. It relied too much on cheap scares. It was a pretty good movie that was pretty effective at building suspense, but overall I think it is a little overrated. I would not go as far to say that your list is terrible because that is a little rude. Many of the lists that other people created consist of many really good movies.

TokyoTenshi
06-20-2013, 07:44 PM
What scares each individual is different.. some fear living dead, some fear what cannot be seen, some fear ghosts etc I think age is a factor as well. I used to find Evil Dead terrifying when I was 9 but now not anymore.

I have such a hard time finding a good scary movie that could really scare the crap out of me.. if anyone have any suggestions, please let me know :( I actually miss being scared. I watched Insidious last week and found it scary because I find seeing dead people (not zombie) is a scary thing. Same as The Sixth Sense and The Eye (original).

Paranormal Activities put me to sleep.

If you have fear of clowns, I find Stephen King's IT to be scary. Damn that pennywise.

I find Lambertoo Bava's Demons to be scary.. especially their transformation part.

I should mention I find some classic Asian movies (like Indonesian) to be the scariest ever, but if you're not from Indonesia or Malaysia you won't get the same kind of scare and fear I think.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Giganticface
06-21-2013, 01:07 AM
I thought the concept behind Hostel was pretty terrifying. The thought that people could make a business out of killing for entertainment, and that if traveling through certain war-torn countries you could become a victim of it -- that stuck with me for days the first time I saw it.

I also thought The Strangers and Ils were scary. Something about home invasion does it for me.

The two girls in The Shining still creep me out every time I see them.

I also find insane asylums pretty freaky, although I'm having trouble thinking of a good movie example.

TokyoTenshi
06-21-2013, 02:42 AM
I just remembered I find Subspecies series to be quite terrifying.. especially Bloodstone: Subspecies II. I still find The Mummy mother to be scary. And compared to other vampires, Vampire Radu is really the awesome scary type of vampire with those creepy long fingers of his, able to make his own little demons, that can move in shadows, unlike sparkly Edward Cullen. I don't find Nosferatu scary though.

metternich1815
06-23-2013, 11:06 AM
I just watched Shutter (2004) this past weekend. I thought it was one of the scariest movies I have ever seen.