PDA

View Full Version : Should We Get a Nightmare Sequel?

rlaugh0095
03-15-2013, 01:26 AM
Im sure many of you recall the 2010 remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street, and im sure many of you recall the mixed reviews it got from fans and critiques, but regardless do you think it deserves a sequel? What if they fix some of the bigger issues with the film?

Im not sure about you guys, but here is my list if things that would have to be improved in the event of a future movie.

#1.Better Actors: Honestly there was only 2 actors in the entire movie who I would vouch did a good job despite the others and thats Jackie Haley and Thomas Dekker. The rest of the actors were dry and looked way to old to play the part of high school kids.

#2.Fix the Make-up:Alright, I will admit the make-up didn't look that bad, but still...something about a crooked eyed killer doesn't scare me very much. Also, with the exception of the cgi hole in Freddy's face, I found the rest of his facial features tooooo smooth and gray. Add just a tent of red in their, and make his face a bit more rigid and I think we would have some pretty decent make-up.

#3.Less CGI: I feel the CGI from the remake took a way any thoughts of "could this happen to me?". Sure, cheap effects may not look as "cool" as CG, but because you are using real objects for effects, it adds a depth of immersion to it.

#4.Character Development/dynamics: This was probably the biggest complaint and what many would agree "ruined the film". No one cares about dull flat characters! When the first 30 year old high school student got killed at the dinner, I was just like "okay, why do I care this guy is dead?" I don't know this guy. Was he friendly? was he a bastard? Well, we will never know because he was killed of before any major development.

Other than whats listed, I don't have any problems with the movie. I like the darker, sadistic side of krueger over the silly one, and Jackie really made the role his own. If these things were fixed, I would love to see the remake, cause frankly, im still not tired of seeing freddy on the big screen. (though I do hope they focus more on elm street in the event of a remake, over the stupid Daycare!)

MichaelMyers
03-15-2013, 03:00 AM
Great first post, welcome to horror.com. I refused to watch the re-make because I had a feeling it would just depress me. Let me ask you this. Would you bring back Robert Englund if another one were to be made, or have you closed the book on him as Freddy.

Fulg HoarAR
03-16-2013, 09:48 PM
I'd say nay to a sequel , problem I see with these remakes or "re-imaginings" :confused: Is that they just try waaay to hard and its usually just eyeroll inducing, the desperation some of these movies give off is palpable, I saw this one and this and the Halloween "re-imagining" really made me reflect on the dying art of subtlety.

Anthropophagus
03-17-2013, 12:52 AM
I say NO.

The remake was bollocks anyways so really don`t give two shits to be honest.:mad:

Elvis_Christ
03-17-2013, 07:05 AM
I'd love to see a sequel. I dug the new look of Freddy because the burnt face looked more realistic. The darker more fucked up tone of the character was great too. I think there's potential for something really good to happen.

Geek
03-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Nope. Hated the new freddy. Robert Englund is freddy and always will be. Thats not me being closed minded, its the fact that he improvised the majority of the character so it quite literally is him.

Kandarian Demon
03-17-2013, 05:58 PM
No! I tried to be open-minded about the remake... but there's only one guy who can play Freddy. But I didn't really like the movie in any way, I thought it was boring. Just my opinion, of course.

I'd love to see Robert Englund as Freddy just one more time... but no more remakes, please.

The Villain
03-17-2013, 06:38 PM
No there shouldn't have even been a remake in the first place. I'm not a fan of remakes but there are certain times when i'll be interested in checking a horror remake out to see what they do with it, but there are some that are too iconic to be remade and should be left alone and Nightmare on Elm Street was one of them. Instead of trying to find ways to fix a remake that shouldn't have happened, filmmakers should be trying to come up with new horror movies.

MichaelMyers
03-18-2013, 02:05 AM
No there shouldn't have even been a remake in the first place. I'm not a fan of remakes but there are certain times when i'll be interested in checking a horror remake out to see what they do with it, but there are some that are too iconic to be remade and should be left alone and Nightmare on Elm Street was one of them. Instead of trying to find ways to fix a remake that shouldn't have happened, filmmakers should be trying to come up with new horror movies.

My sentiments exactly. But, what horror remakes pique your "interest"? I can't think of any, to tell the truth.

The Villain
03-18-2013, 03:14 PM
My sentiments exactly. But, what horror remakes pique your "interest"? I can't think of any, to tell the truth.

If it counts, the upcoming Godzilla remake has me interested. I'm also probably gonna check out Carrie

rlaugh0095
03-19-2013, 12:10 AM
Great first post, welcome to horror.com. I refused to watch the re-make because I had a feeling it would just depress me. Let me ask you this. Would you bring back Robert Englund if another one were to be made, or have you closed the book on him as Freddy.

Honestly, I know how many fans feel about Robert, personally I myself feel more bonded with Englund over Haley, but I think Robert really doesn't want to step back into fred's shoes, so I would rather respect his wishes. so to provide an answer to your question, no, but Englund does deserve a cameo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I directed it, Robert's appearance would be the make or break of the movie for me. If he wasn't up for a cameo, then no sequel.

I know this is off topic, but I feel the same for the upcoming evil dead remake. If Bruce doesn't get the cameo he deserves, I will flip many tables.

Bob Gray
03-19-2013, 05:41 AM

I am also interested in Carrie, hope it's done right. Can't wait to see what is done with IT, The Fury, and The Creature from the Black Lagoon. I won't get my hopes up though. Other than those, I think they should leave the remakes alone.

Bob Gray
03-19-2013, 05:44 AM
Honestly, I know how many fans feel about Robert, personally I myself feel more bonded with Englund over Haley, but I think Robert really doesn't want to step back into fred's shoes, so I would rather respect his wishes. so to provide an answer to your question, no, but Englund does deserve a cameo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I directed it, Robert's appearance would be the make or break of the movie for me. If he wasn't up for a cameo, then no sequel.

I know this is off topic, but I feel the same for the upcoming evil dead remake. If Bruce doesn't get the cameo he deserves, I will flip many tables.

Bruce and Sam Raimi are two of the producers, so it is possible.

Geek
03-19-2013, 10:13 AM
I am also interested in Carrie, hope it's done right. Can't wait to see what is done with IT, The Fury, and The Creature from the Black Lagoon. I won't get my hopes up though. Other than those, I think they should leave the remakes alone.

Is there anything they're NOT remaking??

I actually find remakes quite arrogant, especially when they turn out crap because that is the ultimate "i can do it better.. Oh wait.."

rlaugh0095
03-19-2013, 03:16 PM
I do hate all of the texas chainsaw massacre remakes -_- That is one film series I think deserves a long rest. :3

Shemonsterdevil
03-19-2013, 04:08 PM
NOPE. Stop the pain. No more remakes. ESP if rob zombie is involved.

The Villain
03-19-2013, 04:28 PM
I do hate all of the texas chainsaw massacre remakes -_- That is one film series I think deserves a long rest. :3

I actually liked the prequel but the others were crap

Shemonsterdevil
03-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Agreed TCM prequel was good

Bob Gray
03-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Is there anything they're NOT remaking??

I actually find remakes quite arrogant, especially when they turn out crap because that is the ultimate "i can do it better.. Oh wait.."

I like the idea remaking those that I mentioned because the originals (with the exception of Creature) were horrible films, yes I'm including Carrie, never have cared for the original film. IT is by far the one I'm most interesting in because the tv movie was absolute crap, nothing about it was done right.

Geek
03-19-2013, 09:12 PM
Yeh but with remakes even films that werent brilliant to begin with can get worse

Take last house on the left for example

Bob Gray
03-20-2013, 04:29 AM
Yeh but with remakes even films that werent brilliant to begin with can get worse

Take last house on the left for example

True but I'll take that chance with those, if it's the right director we might be in for a treat. Remakes have been done since way back when, they aren't anything new, take The Invasion of the Body Snatchers, the original was okay but the 78 remake with Donald Sutherland is way better.

Geek
03-20-2013, 09:19 AM
True. Its just a shame when they cant leave the good ones alone. For instance the nightmare remake and friday the 13th (after kane hodder) i love kane as jason.

What was wrong with IT? (I didnt read the book)

MichaelMyers
03-20-2013, 10:46 AM
True. Its just a shame when they cant leave the good ones alone. For instance the nightmare remake and friday the 13th (after kane hodder) i love kane as jason.

Someone here once mentioned that Hodder wanted too much dime. Do you think they should have done what they did and made it anyway.

Geek
03-20-2013, 11:09 AM
No the new jason is naff and according to kanes book they never even offered it to him.

MichaelMyers
03-20-2013, 02:14 PM
No the new jason is naff and according to kanes book they never even offered it to him.

Downright offensive. :mad:

Bob Gray
03-20-2013, 05:08 PM

The film was sooooo bad, too vanilla, too banal, and too earnest to do the source material any justice. The acting was horrendous, the screenplay atrocious, it got practically nothing right. READ THE BOOK, seriously, you'll see what I mean.

The Villain
03-20-2013, 05:31 PM
The film was sooooo bad, too vanilla, too banal, and too earnest to do the source material any justice. The acting was horrendous, the screenplay atrocious, it got practically nothing right. READ THE BOOK, seriously, you'll see what I mean.

It wasn't that bad. IT is my favorite novel, not just from Stephen King, but all time and despite the fact that the movie didnt live up to the book at all i still enjoyed it in a way. I think for me i knew that they weren't going to get it right before i watched it so my expectations were low plus it was still fun in a bad sort of way. Also Tim Curry was great as Pennywise.

This is a movie i would love to see remade, i think they should do it in two parts. One part the kids, one the adults. Although that may just get repetitive. I'd also like to see it be darker.

Bob Gray
03-20-2013, 07:09 PM
It wasn't that bad. IT is my favorite novel, not just from Stephen King, but all time and despite the fact that the movie didnt live up to the book at all i still enjoyed it in a way. I think for me i knew that they weren't going to get it right before i watched it so my expectations were low plus it was still fun in a bad sort of way. Also Tim Curry was great as Pennywise.

This is a movie i would love to see remade, i think they should do it in two parts. One part the kids, one the adults. Although that may just get repetitive. I'd also like to see it be darker.

I have to disagree about Tim Curry, his Pennywise was nothing like the Pennywise in the novel. It was a completely cheesy performance by a cheesy actor. The Pennywise in the novel oozes with sinister vibes, Pennywise in the miniseries does not.

The remake is suppose to be two films and much darker with an R rating. As long as I see an inclusion of the fire at the Black Spot, the Interludes, the Smoke Hole, the House on Neibolt Street, the death of Patrick Hockstetler, and the disguises of Pennywise that are in the novel, I will be happy.

Geek
03-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Michael - if you like Kane Hodder you really need to read "Unmasked" its such an eye opener about all the pain he went through and then finding his confidence as a stuntman.

Bob - i dont think its really Tim Currys fault about pennywise. It always comes down to the director if he didnt want it to be like the original pennywise then tum couldnt really do much about that. I will have a look at the book and maybe check out the remake.

Bob Gray
03-21-2013, 06:10 AM
Michael - if you like Kane Hodder you really need to read "Unmasked" its such an eye opener about all the pain he went through and then finding his confidence as a stuntman.

Bob - i dont think its really Tim Currys fault about pennywise. It always comes down to the director if he didnt want it to be like the original pennywise then tum couldnt really do much about that. I will have a look at the book and maybe check out the remake.

Whether it was the director's fault or Tim's fault really doesn't matter, the fact is that the part wasn't portrayed well at all, none of the parts were. It's just a terrible adaptation of the novel.

metternich1815
03-21-2013, 07:20 AM
They should not make a sequel to the remake of a Nightmare on Elm Street. Honestly, that idea does not make any sense because the film was so terrible. I agree there were some things I liked such as the darker tone and some of the psychological explanations of what was going on. Other than those, the film was absolutely terrible. First, the acting was terrible, including Jackie Earle Haley (He just was not Freddy). Second, thye plot was uninteresting and as you mentioned there was virtually no character development. Honestly, it would take all day to break down what was wrong with this film (no offense). As far as sequels go, I agree that many of them are terrible and should never have been made. Some exceptions being John Carpenter's The Thing, Thirteen Ghosts, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (which I actually thought was relaltively good, not a master piece, but good), and The Haunting. The worst remake of all time would have to be The Friday the 13th film, unlike Rob Zombie's Halloween and A Nightmare on Elm Street (where there were interesting ideas that wered poorly executed, making these films terrible) this film had absolutely nothing redeeming. As far as originals, I thought the original The Last House on the Left was disturbing, but still pretty good, although I would agree the remake was terrible. I enjoyed the original Carrie a lot, there were many great things about it. I especially liked how De Palma gave a more negative ending to it than in King's book. As for It, I have always thought that was a terribly overrated film and am glad to see that there are a number of people who agree with me.

Geek
03-21-2013, 07:26 AM
Totally agree he made an awful kreugar, infact there was a review made by phallus (phalen porteous) on this film ill see if i can find it although it might be difficult on my phone

Geek
03-21-2013, 08:10 AM
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/phelous/32878-a-nightmare-on-elm-street

Sorry its actually phelous (oops)

Straker
03-21-2013, 08:18 AM
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/phelous/32878-a-nightmare-on-elm-street

Sorry its actually phelous (oops)

That review was more irritaiting than any sequel could ever be....

Geek
03-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Ill remind you of that after you watch the sequl if one happens :-P

Straker
03-21-2013, 08:36 AM
ill remind you of that after you watch the sequl if one happens :-p

:(

Geek
03-21-2013, 10:42 AM
My spelling is awfull today, i do apologise!

Straker
03-21-2013, 10:57 AM
My spelling is awfull today, i do apologise!

Awful. :rolleyes:

The Villain
03-21-2013, 01:13 PM
I have to disagree about Tim Curry, his Pennywise was nothing like the Pennywise in the novel. It was a completely cheesy performance by a cheesy actor. The Pennywise in the novel oozes with sinister vibes, Pennywise in the miniseries does not.

The remake is suppose to be two films and much darker with an R rating. As long as I see an inclusion of the fire at the Black Spot, the Interludes, the Smoke Hole, the House on Neibolt Street, the death of Patrick Hockstetler, and the disguises of Pennywise that are in the novel, I will be happy.

Well see that's why i liked him as Pennywise. The movie was cheesy and he played the character accordingly. Obviously if they do a remake like the book, they need to change his character. I would love to see a much darker and insane version of Pennywise.

Shemonsterdevil
03-21-2013, 04:00 PM
This is really just no win... either its original or its a hollow remake. A remake could br awesoe.. but its never going to be the original and without that it will always be missing something. That made no sense did it... makes sense in my brain...

Bob Gray
03-22-2013, 07:28 AM
Well see that's why i liked him as Pennywise. The movie was cheesy and he played the character accordingly. Obviously if they do a remake like the book, they need to change his character. I would love to see a much darker and insane version of Pennywise.

I love campy, cheesy horror films as much as the next guy and for its part, IT is exactly that. I enjoy it for that reason only, all I'm getting at is that I'd like to see a serious attempt at adapting the novel, one where they don't completely gut the novel like the miniseries did, one with a proper R rating, one that is as psychologically effecting as the novel is, that's all.

The Villain
03-22-2013, 02:48 PM
I love campy, cheesy horror films as much as the next guy and for its part, IT is exactly that. I enjoy it for that reason only, all I'm getting at is that I'd like to see a serious attempt at adapting the novel, one where they don't completely gut the novel like the miniseries did, one with a proper R rating, one that is as psychologically effecting as the novel is, that's all.

Yeah i totally agree. I would love to see that

jessieblood
03-23-2013, 09:52 PM
#3.Less CGI: I feel the CGI from the remake took a way any thoughts of "could this happen to me?". Sure, cheap effects may not look as "cool" as CG, but because you are using real objects for effects, it adds a depth of immersion to it.

I agree with this, I think they should of use physical effects and add CGI to it, if needed. We have seen movies use this and have it look really good. My friends said I was wrong about this, but the CGI did turn me away.

jessieblood
03-23-2013, 10:05 PM
#4.Character Development/dynamics: This was probably the biggest complaint and what many would agree "ruined the film". No one cares about dull flat characters! When the first 30 year old high school student got killed at the dinner, I was just like "okay, why do I care this guy is dead?" I don't know this guy. Was he friendly? was he a bastard? Well, we will never know because he was killed of before any major development.

Jackie Earle Haley did bring something new to Freddy, when i seen the new Nightmare on Elm Street I was not looking for the old Freddy that was done by Robert Englund, but like you said it was flat, however there were a few oneliners in the new film that gave hope for the new freddy. 1. Jackie Earle haley was a bad pick for the roll and could not pull it off or 2. Filmmakers did not give him enough space to really play with the idea for freddy on screen, becasue he did bring a different side to Freddy. but did not sell me on his portail of Freddy, now I think if Jackie Earle haley had the room to play with Freddy to really make him his own, i think he could of pulled it off. I tend to sway towards option one with a shadow from option two. I think the new Nighmare suffered from lack of imagination, thus why we see a flim that was some what flat. In the new Friday the 13th film they change jason up a bit on how he acts, made him more like a hunter/predator stocking his pray, they toke extra time to knock home the point that Jason is a Hunter and your dont screw with him when he is in his hunting grounds. We really dont see this type of imagination in the new Nightmare movie, we see a flatness, a bone with out meat or blood.

rlaugh0095
03-25-2013, 01:11 AM
Jackie Earle Haley did bring something new to Freddy, when i seen the new Nightmare on Elm Street I was not looking for the old Freddy that was done by Robert Englund, but like you said it was flat, however there were a few oneliners in the new film that gave hope for the new freddy. 1. Jackie Earle haley was a bad pick for the roll and could not pull it off or 2. Filmmakers did not give him enough space to really play with the idea for freddy on screen, becasue he did bring a different side to Freddy. but did not sell me on his portail of Freddy, now I think if Jackie Earle haley had the room to play with Freddy to really make him his own, i think he could of pulled it off. I tend to sway towards option one with a shadow from option two. I think the new Nighmare suffered from lack of imagination, thus why we see a flim that was some what flat. In the new Friday the 13th film they change jason up a bit on how he acts, made him more like a hunter/predator stocking his pray, they toke extra time to knock home the point that Jason is a Hunter and your dont screw with him when he is in his hunting grounds. We really dont see this type of imagination in the new Nightmare movie, we see a flatness, a bone with out meat or blood.

Wow, thanks for taking the time to write that post! :)

Bob Gray
03-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Wow, thanks for taking the time to write that post! :)

Yeah, we got a bit off topic, nice post jessieblood.