PDA

View Full Version : What are your top 25 horror movies?

metternich1815
01-09-2013, 03:23 PM
My top 25 horror movies:
1. Scream (1996)
2. Psycho (1960)
3. The Thing (1982)
4. Jaws (1975)
5. The Shining (1980)
6. The Cabin in the Woods (2012)
7. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
8. Alien (1979)
9. Halloween (1978)
10. Clive Barker's Hellraiser (1987)
11. Predator (1987)
12. Candyman (1992)
13. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
14. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2007)
15. The Blair Witch Project (1999)
16. Saw (2004)
17. Rosemary's Baby (1968)
18. The Mist (2007)
19. Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
20. Friday the 13th (1980)
21. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
22. The Evil Dead (1981)
23. Pet Sematary (1989)
24. The Ring (2002)
25. Paranormal Activity (2009)

Fatmalky
01-10-2013, 05:27 AM
1.Evil dead
2.Hellraiser
3.A nightmare on elm street
4.Friday the 13th
5.The thing
6.gremlins
7.return of the living dead
8.Dawn of the dead
10.the stuff
11.basket case
12.feast
13. Ginger snaps
14. The mist
15. Brain dead
16. Alien
17. Cabin in the woods
18. Scream
19. Planet terror
20. Predator
21. Night breed
22. Canndyman
23. Pumpkin head
24. Re animator
25. Splinter

This is in no order just as I thought of them

Fatmalky
01-10-2013, 05:49 AM
Oh I forgot the child's play movies I love them too

swiss tony
01-10-2013, 05:52 AM
A couple of good lists right there. I have to take issue with Ginger Snaps:D That movie was a stinker. I think I prefer the FX in Teenwolf!!!

What about The Exorcist?

Fatmalky
01-10-2013, 06:01 AM
I loved the cheesie fx in ginger snaps its just a good movie. I have to admit that I hate the exorcist I don't see what's so special about it. I fell asleep the first two times I tried to watch it. It was a big disappointment for me personally

swiss tony
01-10-2013, 06:07 AM
Fair enough!

You don't have any foreign language movies in there. Have you partaken of any world cinema?

Fatmalky
01-10-2013, 06:17 AM
Ye seen quite a few just none I would put in my top 25. Most of tge world cinema I do watch aren't really horror though. I am always up for new film so will watch almost anything

swiss tony
01-10-2013, 06:20 AM
How about Pan's Labyrinth or A Tale of Two Sisters?

El Orfanato is pretty good too but maybe not Top 25...

There's also the J-Horror classics from Ju On to Onibaba?

Irreversible is also knocking on the Top 25 door.

Fatmalky
01-10-2013, 06:23 AM
I have seen both irreversible and pans labyrinth both are really good films would be in my top 100. I haven't seen the others you said but will look out for them

metternich1815
01-10-2013, 11:12 AM
I liked the Child's Play movies (except the third one) too. The first two were pretty serious, but the latest two Bride of Chucky and Seed of Chucky added alot more humor. I thought Bride of Chucky was especially funny. I think the Exorcist (1973) is a good well-directed and well-acted film made by William Friedkin, but I do not watch it very often. In my opinion, it is an overrated film and I have never understood how it still gets on the top of so many scariest movie ever lists. I understand why it is at the top of many best lists because it is is one of the most impactful films in movie history and marks the point when people began to at least take some of the genre seriously. It is just not a personal favorite of mine. I have heard of all the foreign horror films mentioned, but have seen none of them. It is hard for me to watch a movie with subtitles where they don't even speak english, which is the case with some of those films. But, I plan to do that eventually and watch Tale of Two Sisters, Ju-On, Ringu, among others. I also heard Let the Right One In was pretty good, but I have never seen it. Another foreign horror film I have heard of was The Orphange, which I know received high critical acclaim, but again I have mever seen it. I liked the Mario Bava's 1963 film Black Sabbath, I just would not include it in the top 25. I really liked the film The Others (2001) and in fact nearly included it. Granted it is not a foreign language film, but it was from Spain, they simply decided to shoot it in English. Thee film's take on ghosts, although explored in The Sixth Sense (1999) was explored much further in this film and perhaps more effectively. I did not realize Pan's Labyrinth was a foreign language film (I have not seen it), it too is on my list of horror films left to watch that I have not made it around to. Finally, on the Ginger Snaps idea, I liked it. I thought the film was an interesting spin on the werewolf theme and the acting especially of the two leads was really good. The plot was interesting and the film had an exciting climax. The only criticism I had of the film was the makeup and special effects, which were very low quality, even cheesy. This did not match the film. It should be noted this film was well-reviewed (it holds an 88% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes). I have noticed if the critics hate a horror film, either it is terrible or more often they simply missed the point. If, however, they loved a film it is usually great. In this case also I would agree with the critics that the film was great, although not great enough to be in my top 25, but great nonetheless. I actually just watched the film last night, but I have had plenty of time to sit on it and this is my evaluation of the film.

MichaelMyers
01-10-2013, 11:19 AM
^

What he said.

MichaelMyers
01-10-2013, 11:19 AM
^

What he said.

Oh shit, new page. Fail.

NormanBates
01-10-2013, 05:07 PM
1) The Shining
2) Psycho
3) Hellraiser
4) The house of wax (w/Vincent Price)
5) Misery
6) Halloween II
7) Interview with the vampire
8) Night of the living dead
9) Silence of the lambs
10) Nightmare on elm street
11) Fall of the house of Usher
12) Seven
13) The Game
14) From Hell
15) Alien
16) Predator
17) American Psycho (strangely humorous)
18) The thing
19) Pumpkinhead
20) Hostel
21) Invasion of the body snatchers
22) The fly (1986)
23) Carrie
24) Poltergeist
25) Phantasm

metternich1815
01-10-2013, 09:08 PM
1) The Shining
2) Psycho
3) Hellraiser
4) The house of wax (w/Vincent Price)
5) Misery
6) Halloween II
7) Interview with the vampire
8) Night of the living dead
9) Silence of the lambs
10) Nightmare on elm street
11) Fall of the house of Usher
12) Seven
13) The Game
14) From Hell
15) Alien
16) Predator
17) American Psycho (strangely humorous)
18) The thing
19) Pumpkinhead
20) Hostel
21) Invasion of the body snatchers
22) The fly (1986)
23) Carrie
24) Poltergeist
25) Phantasm

I think that you have alot of really good horror movies on your list. One I did not include on my list, but was really good was the Fall of the House of Usher (1960). It definitely is in my top fifty though. That movie actually creeped me out the first time I watched it. I also thought that Interview with the Vampire (1994) was an original movie and an interesting take on vampires, in that it built sympathy for them. Unlike the later Twilight series it did it in a very skillful and interesting way. I definitely would put Halloween (1978) a great deal ahead of Halloween II (1981), but it is still a really good movie. The film I disagreed with the Most was Hostel (2006). The movie was okay, but not phenomnal. There was way too much explicit content for me and honestly I did not really care about the characters, which is essential for a horror movie. The plot was an interesting ride and the plot twist was very original, even scary (The idea of it). I think the film had a lot of potential, but it was in many ways a rehash of other horror classics such as Psycho (1960) and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I certainly understand why it is in some horror movie lists, but as far me I think it is overrated in the horror movie channels. But overall your list was really good and I understand why you chose the films that you did.

Jaydens
01-11-2013, 01:28 AM
Not 25 but some of my favorite horror movies are as follow :
The Descent
The Host
Hostel
Wolf Creek
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
The Skeleton Key
Saw II
Them
The Hills Have Eyes
The Mist

The Horror fan
01-12-2013, 10:26 AM
I don't think I be able to Top 25, Ten is hard enough at times

1) Braindead AKA Dead Alive (1992)
2) The Thing (1982)
3) The Omen (1976)
4) The Birds (1963)
5)The Entity (1981)
6) Pet Sematary (1989)
7) The Eye (2002)
8) Carrie (1976)
9) Black Christmas (1974)
10) The Evil Dead (1981)

Another 15 Would be (Took me a while)

11) Ju-on- The Grudge (2003)
12) Ringu (1998)
13) The Baby (1973)
14) Deep Red (1975)
15) A nightmare on Elm street (1983)
16) A Nightmare on elm street 3 ( 1987)
17) Scanners(1981)
18) Friday 13th Part 3 (1982)
19) Final Destination (2000)
20) The Orphanage (2007)

21) The Texas Chain saw Massacre (1974)
22) The Exorcist (1973)
23) From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)
24) REC (2007)

Ice Pik
01-14-2013, 04:08 PM
idk...I've watched some movies tht I thought as a child was scary as hell then watched it again and was thinking they werent really all that i hype them up to be.

The Others
The excersim of Emily rose
hellraiser 2
the darkness
paranormal activity 1
child's play
the ring
sixth sense
evil dead
haunting in ct
13 ghosts
insidious
wes cravens new nightmare

A lot of the classics to me are good movies and served their purpose but yet they're really not my favorites. The excerist was an alright movie but I think it was really overrated but maybe because in the 70's that was something entirely new. Linda blairs face and voice can bring you nightmares but I think the hype really overplayed the movie. Stuff like Friday the 13th, Halloween, nightmare on elm street, tcm were pretty much all the same thing to me which really just ehhh took away interest. while I give nightmare on elm street credit for the original idea. I think the series was great but just not in my top lists.

benohmart
01-29-2013, 01:38 AM
It would take too long to think of my favorite 25, but in order, I know my favorite 5 right off the top of my head:

Saw 2
Halloween 3
Pyscho 2
Dawn of the Dead '78
The Thing '83

metternich1815
01-29-2013, 12:50 PM
I liked Saw II, but I thought the first was much better. I also liked Psycho II, it was actually a really good sequel, but Psycho (1960) is a classic directed by Alfred Hitchcock and was therefore my favorite. Halloween III was a good movie in its own right, but is my least favorite in the series because it did not feature Michael Myers. It was an interesting gamble, but I believe that Halloween (the series) is a brand that features Michael Myers and by not featuring him, it was not the right brand. To me, it would be like buying a bag of Lays potato chips and opening them to find pretzels. Those pretzels might be good, but that's not what you "bought".

MichaelMyers
01-29-2013, 01:15 PM
I liked Saw II, but I thought the first was much better. I also liked Psycho II, it was actually a really good sequel, but Psycho (1960) is a classic directed by Alfred Hitchcock and was therefore my favorite. Halloween III was a good movie in its own right, but is my least favorite in the series because it did not feature Michael Myers. It was an interesting gamble, but I believe that Halloween (the series) is a brand that features Michael Myers and by not featuring him, it was not the right brand. To me, it would be like buying a bag of Lays potato chips and opening them to find pretzels. Those pretzels might be good, but that's not what you "bought".

This might be apt, if Frito-Lay manufactured pretzels. But they do not. Hence the "grab bag" metaphor here is unconvincing, in my opinion. Now, tell me this, best of men: say you ordered a pizza from Pizza Hut, but received buffalo wings instead. Would this be similar to "getting" Halloween III without Michael Myers? Or would it be closer to Dominos delivering the pizza in place of Pizza Hut? Or the pie from Pizza Hut, but the toppings have been changed around?

metternich1815
01-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Pretzels are related to potato chips, which was the idea. The product in Halloween III was in the same family as Halloween movies (in that it was horror), but quite different. I think the metaphor holds up. The main point was that the brand in Halloween III varied from the other films. In other words, when one wants to watch a Halloween movie (the series), they expect to see Micahel Myers (At least I would have).

MichaelMyers
01-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Pretzels are related to potato chips, which was the idea. The product in Halloween III was in the same family as Halloween movies (in that it was horror), but quite different. I think the metaphor holds up. The main point was that the brand in Halloween III varied from the other films. In other words, when one wants to watch a Halloween movie (the series), they expect to see Micahel Myers (At least I would have).

Have you seen Friday 13th Part V yet. It has a similar "twist."

metternich1815
01-29-2013, 05:33 PM
I have seen that film and it was good, although far from my favorite in that series. The twist in that film was quite different than in Halloween III because in that film it is not until the end that we discover its Jason. During the movie, the presence of Jason at the least was clear. In Halloween III there is no reference by any of the characters to Myers and the very material in the film was very different than in other Halloween films.

tomcush
02-06-2013, 04:23 AM
Off the top of my head (in no particular order, and originals unless otherwise stated):

1) The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
2) Alien
3) The Wicker Man
4) The Thing (Carpenter)
5) The Fly (Cronenberg)
6) Psycho
7) Ring
8) Halloween
9) The Shining
10) Eyes Without a Face
11) Day of the Dead
12) Martyrs
13) The Devils
14) Repulsion
15) The Silence of the Lambs
16) The Wicker Man
17) REC
18) The Blair Witch Project
19) Suspiria
20) Nosferatu
21) The Exorcist
22) The Brood
23) An American Werewolf in London
24) Don't Look Now
25) Rosemary's Baby

This list would probably change on a daily basis.
Honourable mentions to the films of Lucio Fulci, Wes Craven, Takashi Miike & Hammer Horror

horrorfangirl66
02-16-2013, 08:21 PM
They are in no real order. It's hard to be precise about my favorites. I just know I like all of these. Most I first watched when I was younger. I was a rather scared child. My number one fear was of the dark. I did read Goosebumps books and I watched the show. So that was my first little taste. It was almost a way to get over my fears. I first really fell in love with horror films when I was 9 years old. My grandma showed me a lot of older films with Vincent Price and others from the 50s. Then my dad told me to rent Psycho and I was hooked. As I watched more and more I came to really like many of the 70s and 80s horror films. I also like the psychological thrillers of the 90s and sci-fi horror. And the others are newer favorites. Some might not be considered "good" by all but they are awesome in some way to myself.

1. The Exorcist
2. Nightmare on Elm Street
3. The Shining
4. Creepshow
5. Fright Night (85)
6. Friday the 13th
7. Night of the Living Dead
8. Trick r'Treat
9. Halloween
10. Rob Zombie's Halloween
11. The Amityville Horror(79)
12. The Devil's Rejects
13. House of 1000 Corpses
14. Aliens
15. Re-Animator
16. Psycho
17. The Crazies
18. Scream
19. Evil Dead 2
20. Se7en
21. The Silence of the Lambs
22. Predator
23. Underworld: Evolution
24. Dracula 2000
25. Phantasm

Ice Pik
02-17-2013, 02:40 PM
The Crazies was a good one. Haven't seen the original but the were some bad ass death scenes in the remake.

Anthropophagus
03-06-2013, 10:31 AM
In no particular order,and the list will change tomorrow anyways.

Jaws
Dawn of the Dead (original)
Phantasm
The Thing from another World
TCM
The Orphanage
Martyrs
Frontiers
Rec
I Saw the Devil
Dead Snow
Inside
Suspiria
My Bloody Valentine (original)
The Bride of Frankenstein
King Kong (original)
Let the Right one in
Freaks
Alien
The Omen
The Fog (original)
Funny Games
Devils Backbone
Zombie Flesh Eaters
Funhouse

Oh forget that list,i will do another one tomorrow,then again it might change again.:D

MichaelMyers
03-06-2013, 10:35 AM
In no particular order,and the list will change tomorrow anyways.

Jaws
Dawn of the Dead (original)
Phantasm
The Thing from another World
TCM
The Orphanage
Martyrs
Frontiers
Rec
I Saw the Devil
Dead Snow
Inside
Suspiria
My Bloody Valentine (original)
The Bride of Frankenstein
King Kong (original)
Let the Right one in
Freaks
Alien
The Omen
The Fog (original)
Funny Games
Devils Backbone
Zombie Flesh Eaters
Funhouse

Oh forget that list,i will do another one tomorrow,then again it might change again.:D

Nice list, lots of classics and some out-of-the-box films. Surprised I don't see any slashers on your list, with the possible exception of TCM.

Anthropophagus
03-06-2013, 10:42 AM
My lists are constantly evolving and changing but the classics are just as good if not better than recent stuff.

Any list i make if different from the last.

tommywikkid
03-11-2013, 08:54 AM
1. Evil Dead
2. Trick Or Treat (1986)
3. Friday The 13th
4. Night Of The Living Dead
5. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
6. Childs Play
7. Combat Shock
8. Halloween
9. Tales From The Darkside
10. Amityville Horror
11. American Psycho
12. Toxic Avenger
13. Trick R Treat
14. Jack Frost
15. Creepshow
16. Puppet Master
17. Big Bad Wolf
18. Vampire Bat
19. Frankenstein
20. Saw
21. Sleepaway Camp
22. House By The Cemetary
23. Henry
24. The Crazies (2010)
25. Thankskilling

Giganticface
03-12-2013, 10:46 AM
It's so hard for me to come up with a "Top n" list because I need to know exactly what the parameters are.

It could mean...

The 25 "Best" Horror Movies of All Time

This list, however, is too debatable, so I'll leave it to film historians.

Instead I could do...

My Top 25 "Favorite" Horror Movies of All Time

This list might include:

- Halloween
- Donnie Darko
- Signs
- The Descent
- The Blair Witch Project
- Night of the Living Dead

However, since I would have to pine hard over this list, aching over which movies make it and which are left out, I might never feel good enough to actually finish it. So instead, it might be easier to do...

The Top 25 Movies Most Influential on My Horror Fansmanship

Which would include:

- Water Babies
- The Watcher in the Woods
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
- Something Wicked This Way Comes
- Poltergeist
- The Birds
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Alien
- Burnt Offerings
- The Exorcist
- Carrie

In the end though, it's easier to list only the movies that occupy my current consciousness. Those that, right now, haunt the dark corridors of my home, each summoning me to rewatch it again. And again...and again...

My Favorite 25 Horror Movies Right at this Moment

(This list, by nature, is probably going to be over-represented with more recent movies.)

Evil Dead (2013) Red Band Trailer
The Evil Dead
Evil Dead II
Martyrs
Cannibal Holocaust
Inside
Antichrist
Hostel: Part II
Saw
Saw II
Audition
Black Swan
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
The Exorcist
Ils
Lovely Molly
The Wicker Man
The Shining
Session 9
Santa Sangre
Jacob's Ladder
The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
Martha Marcy May Marlene
Haute Tension
May

(BTW, Anthropophagus, your list is dope.)