PDA

View Full Version : Former horror fan looking for recommendations

Senden
10-21-2012, 07:20 AM
Used to be a HUGE horror fan growing up however started to go off them when once I entered my 20s.. probably due to the fact that half the ones made these days just plain suck.

Anyway, after seeing cabin in the woods, my faith in the genre seems somewhat restored (a miracle considering the last horror I seen prior to that was the nightmare on elm street remake).

Mainly, I'm looking for something dark and supernatural. Supernatural films always get me.. Poltergeist is probably the scariest film I've seen in my eyes however I'm looking for something darker than that and possibly good mystery elements, mystery themes always work well in horrors when done right.

Also a huge fan of 80s horrors like return of the living dead and killer klowns from outer space. Seen quite a few 80s cheese movies but happy to have any recommendations.

Also happy to have any recommendations for good horrors that I might have missed over the last 10 years. Prior to that though, I watched an awful lot of 90s horrors so probably be hard pressed to find one I haven't seen. My favorites being Dr Giggles and Nightbreed.

newb
10-21-2012, 08:26 AM
2 good supernatural movies with mystery

The Changeling [1980] and Ghost Story [1981]

The Ugly Duchess
10-21-2012, 09:47 AM

I recommend these highly

JudgeU
10-21-2012, 03:51 PM

Love the Changeling, but I've never heard of Ghost Story. I will have to check that out. My suggestions for "dark and supernatural":

Angel Heart (1987)
Devil (2010)
The House of the Devil (2009)
Lord of illusions (1995)
The Ninth Gate (1999)

Warnings: None of these are "campy" or have that kind of vibe. A lot of people don't like Lord of Illusions, but its one of my personal favorites. The Ninth Gate isn't going to scare you or make you cringe, but its an extremely dark tale directed by an Oscar winner and stars Johnny Depp.

Fearonsarms
10-23-2012, 10:13 AM
You might like Absentia (2011)

Bob Gray
10-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Insidious
Prince of Darkness
The Woman in Black
The Ward
Case 39
The Innkeepers
The Gravedancers
Silent Hill
The Skeleton Key
Drag Me to Hell
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
Phantoms
The Legend of Hell House
The Serpent and the Rainbow

irons
10-23-2012, 06:11 PM
'The Woman In Black' might be right up your street.
There's been a few decent horrors in the last 10 years, most you will have heard of. (Paranormal Activity and its ilk) Here's some less well known ones.

Let the Right One In

Rec

Dead Snow (brilliant Zombie film)

Juan Of The Dead (zombie comedy)

These are all foriegn films, but I find that Hollywood horror has been quite poor in the last few years.