PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite 'Hellraiser' movie?

Gh0st
09-14-2012, 07:52 AM
I'm curious what 'Hellraiser' movie is your favourite one, personally the 2nd one was my favourite, what about yours? (:

- GH0ST

Dara
09-14-2012, 08:14 AM
I'm curious what 'Hellraiser' movie is your favourite one, personally the 2nd one was my favourite, what about yours? (:

- GH0STSame as you,just for Kenneth Cranham really.

MichaelMyers
09-14-2012, 09:07 AM
http://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/52/MPW-26151

MichaelMyers
09-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Hey Ghost do you like the Scream or Hellraiser series better?

realdealblues
09-14-2012, 09:50 AM
I think part 2 was my favorite as well.

Gh0st
09-14-2012, 10:16 AM
I like them both equally, there are things I like better in Scream than Hellraiser and vice versa.

MichaelMyers
09-14-2012, 10:42 AM
I like them both equally, there are things I like better in Scream than Hellraiser and vice versa.

Well we will have to agree to disagree. I like Scream 1, but on balance, I think Hellraiser definitely outweighs Scream series in scare factor.

Gh0st
09-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Oh I didn't think you meant scare factor, definitely Hellraiser in that case.

Straker
09-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Hellraiser I is probably the better film, innovative, entertaining horror, solid performances from most of the cast, great story. Hellraiser II is ultimatley way more fun and the one I watch most. Kenneth Cranham put in an amazing performance and really carries the film, but the editing really can't be forgiven. It really is shocking, the plot is all over the place, pacing is ruined by the whole 'Uncle Frank' section, which is beyond bad and way the fuck out of place. Too many ideas, too much confusion. Tony Randel almost delivered, but not quite. Still quality though....

Gh0st
09-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Hellraiser I is probably the better film, innovative, entertaining horror, solid performances from most of the cast, great story. Hellraiser II is ultimatley way more fun and the one I watch most. Kenneth Cranham put in an amazing performance and really carries the film, but the editing really can't be forgiven. It really is shocking, the plot is all over the place, pacing is ruined by the whole 'Uncle Frank' section, which is beyond bad and way the fuck out of place. Too many ideas, too much confusion. Tony Randel almost delivered, but not quite. Still quality though....

I really enjoyed reading your mini-review Straker. :P

Jigsaw Killer
09-14-2012, 04:11 PM
The original for me.

Gh0st
09-14-2012, 04:22 PM
The original for me.

Any reasons why? :)

Jigsaw Killer
09-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Well in all fairness I haven't seen the last three (Hellworld, Deader and Revelations), but I find the first movie to be the most enjoyable and interesting of the first six, and it had a very good story to it.

Gh0st
09-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Fair enough. (: I haven't seen Revelations, that's the new one isn't it?

Jigsaw Killer
09-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Yes. It's gotten a dismal reception from what I've seen :/

Gh0st
09-15-2012, 06:02 AM
Yes. It's gotten a dismal reception from what I've seen :/

I just can't imagine Pinhead being played by someone other than Doug Bradley.

Fearonsarms
09-15-2012, 07:43 AM
I just can't imagine Pinhead being played by someone other than Doug Bradley.

The new pinhead is rubbish-absolutely no fear factor or menacing presense at all. I'm in the camp that thought Deader was the best after Parts 1 to 4
it felt like a reward to fans who had stuck with the series to that point.

My fave of the whole series is Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 I like how you see more of hell and the leviathan. I love the wacky doctor, mentalist hospital settings and the ending freaks me out.

Gh0st
09-15-2012, 04:19 PM
The new pinhead is rubbish-absolutely no fear factor or menacing presense at all. I'm in the camp that thought Deader was the best after Parts 1 to 4
it felt like a reward to fans who had stuck with the series to that point.

My fave of the whole series is Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 I like how you see more of hell and the leviathan. I love the wacky doctor, mentalist hospital settings and the ending freaks me out.

Many people feel movies with 9 sequels are terrible, but I love how the Hellraiser's explore more of the story, like you said 'I like how you see more of hell..' etc and you see just how Pinhead came to be.

chrisii2012
09-27-2012, 02:27 PM
I have 1-4 but so far only seen 1 and 2,id say 1 was the better

Gh0st
09-28-2012, 12:32 AM
I have 1-4 but so far only seen 1 and 2,id say 1 was the better

I personally liked the 2nd one more. I love the scene in which Kristy reminded the Cenobites that they were once human, amazing acting in that scene by Doug Bradley, you can see how touched his character is.

Fearonsarms
10-01-2012, 10:35 AM
I personally liked the 2nd one more. I love the scene in which Kristy reminded the Cenobites that they were once human, amazing acting in that scene by Doug Bradley, you can see how touched his character is.

That's a great scene :)

horcrux2007
08-12-2014, 07:43 PM
I'm surprised I'm not dead because I know a lot of people that love that movie.

Sculpt
08-12-2014, 07:45 PM
I'm surprised I'm not dead because I know a lot of people that love that movie.
In time...

horcrux2007
08-12-2014, 07:56 PM
In time...

There's another movie that I'm not particularly keen on that I'm not even gonna bring up because it's a classic.

horcrux2007
08-12-2014, 08:01 PM
I can see why you didn't particularly like Hellraiser. I wasn't keen on it either the first time I watched it, but I gave it another shot and loved it.

Sculpt
08-12-2014, 09:34 PM
I was very mixed on Hellraiser -- loved the box to other dimension concept and interactions. But the human characters & their interactions left a lot to be desired, especially the mom and the undead ex-lover.

The Villain
08-13-2014, 03:26 AM
I was very mixed on Hellraiser -- loved the box to other dimension concept and interactions. But the human characters & their interactions left a lot to be desired, especially the mom and the undead ex-lover.

Yeah they focused too much on that but I actually think the box and the cenobites work better when they're not the main focus or else you end up with Hellraiser 3

horcrux2007
08-13-2014, 03:54 AM
Yeah they focused too much on that but I actually think the box and the cenobites work better when they're not the main focus or else you end up with Hellraiser 3

That was by far the worst of the first 4 movies. They turned Hellraiser into a fucking slasher series!

The Villain
08-13-2014, 07:54 AM
That was by far the worst of the first 4 movies. They turned Hellraiser into a fucking slasher series!

Yeah and tried to make Pinhead into a witty Freddy Krueger type which didn't work at all.

Sculpt
08-13-2014, 11:48 AM
I agree, 9 times out of 10 the Cenobites shouldn't be the main focus; so the human main characters have to offer something to draw you in & to care about them. With Hellraiser I didn't find much of anything with the main characters to latch onto -- I didn't care about them. Eventually I cared about & identified with the daughter, but only through her interaction with the box & Cenobites.

As has been said many times, & I wholehearted agree, the key for a horror film is for the audience to care about & empathize with the characters so they experience the horror with them. Otherwise you might as well page through a Fangora magazine.
As for Hellraiser, its a masochistic masterpiece and the character interactions and relationships are what makes the first movie so great. Its focuses on two of the staples of horror, sex and death until there's nothing left but a bloody mess. What more do you want?
I want more from the characters, to make it a story, not a exploitumentary.

I agree with you, there's more there (masochism) then meets the eye, but with the ex-lover, I didn't find it particularly engaging.

I agree sex is a staple in Horror, but only in the sense it's a staple in life and all films - "sex" as in "mate interest" is a staple in all fiction film. I would say Horror film simply focuses more on the visceral side of everything, including sex. If a film offers nothing but the boobs-gore, boobs-gore button pushing formula, I don't think that makes it more classic Horror, & certainly not a better film. (Not talking about Hellraiser.)

Netflix has uploaded a ton of Hellraiser' films. I've only seen Hellraiser. Can anyone recommend the best ones, story/character-wise?

horcrux2007
08-13-2014, 12:00 PM
That's what Clive Barker wanted originally. I think I read he actually wanted Julia to be the main villain.

FryeDwight
08-18-2014, 03:20 AM
Have seen three of them and liked the first one best. Original weird story, plus think Andrew Robinson is a great actor, especially in DIRTY HARRY (1971) and CHARLEY VARRICK (1973).

Damn Heathen
08-24-2014, 03:22 AM
Hellraiser Rankings:

Great:
Orig.
Hellbound

Good:
Inferno

Average:
Hellworld
Deader
Bloodline
Hell on Earth

Turkeys:
Hellseeker
Revelations

Nihilove
08-25-2014, 07:54 PM
I think the original film is by far the best. I've seen that film an ungodly amount of times, and yet I can still happily watch it. Can't say the same for any of the sequels. But, I will admit, 'Hellbound' has it's charm.

Tracy133
08-25-2014, 08:27 PM
I am a huge fan of Hellraiser. I loved the first one, but I really enjoyed the second one more. The Dr. Channard cenobite was scary as hell! I His laugh really freaked me out! Doug Bradley's performance was awesome. I also loved how we got to see more of hell and leviathan. I actually met Doug Bradley and told him that I really enjoyed Hellraiser 2 more because of my above statement. His exact words were " I can't believe that you just said that."He looked at me like I was insane. He is a pretty cranky man. I shouldn't have expected anything else from they guy. He plays a cenobite for a living. lol

tfantasy
08-31-2014, 01:12 PM
The 3rd one. I found it to be fun and extremely entertaining!

Siemelle
09-25-2014, 07:40 PM
I have to say, first and foremost, that I haven't seen all of the movies in the series and those I have seen past the third installment....I can't actually remember so I think it's safe to say I can rule those films out. The first will always be the superior in my own world of preferences because it has a sick, gothic, sadomasochistic simplicity to it that, despite the fact that this could have taken on a totally different feel given those elements, somehow managed to be horrifying. The score is eerie, there are JUST enough of the cenobites in it for me, and it is brutal yet has this otherworldly appeal to it that makes it one of my favorites!

Crimzon Naga
09-29-2014, 06:44 PM
I personally like to think of Hellraiser and Hellbound one movie, considering I always watch the two together anyway. But Hellbound is considered a Horror masterpiece in my book.

horcrux2007
09-30-2014, 03:36 AM
I personally like to think of Hellraiser and Hellbound one movie, considering I always watch the two together anyway. But Hellbound is considered a Horror masterpiece in my book.

I thought of Hellbound as just a bunch of random scenes strung together. I didn't really enjoy it much.

Straker
09-30-2014, 04:38 AM
I thought of Hellbound as just a bunch of random scenes strung together. I didn't really enjoy it much.

Hellbound had a bunch of problems with editing and there are a few scenes that really don't work at all. Tony Randel talks about some of the issues and problems he had making Hellbound in the directors commentary if I remember right.

That said, if you can get passed that, its really a great movie and lots of fun. Kenneth Cranham as Channard is awesome and there are plenty of cool concepts thrown in there and lots of nice ideas with some great sfx to back it all up. The climax is pretty badass too. It doesn't capture the same sadomasochistic tone or grim atmosphere as the first movie, but its still a good flick.

horcrux2007
09-30-2014, 05:05 AM
Hellbound had a bunch of problems with editing and there are a few scenes that really don't work at all. Tony Randel talks about some of the issues and problems he had making Hellbound in the directors commentary if I remember right.

That said, if you can get passed that, its really a great movie and lots of fun. Kenneth Cranham as Channard is awesome and there are plenty of cool concepts thrown in there and lots of nice ideas with some great sfx to back it all up. The climax is pretty badass too. It doesn't capture the same sadomasochistic tone or grim atmosphere as the first movie, but its still a good flick.

The climax was really disappointing. Pinhead and the others were wiped out way too easily and quickly for a good and interesting fight. And I don't really like forgiving some flaws, I suppose, just because the director had issues.

Straker
09-30-2014, 06:19 AM
The climax was really disappointing. Pinhead and the others were wiped out way too easily and quickly for a good and interesting fight. And I don't really like forgiving some flaws, I suppose, just because the director had issues.

Its not really about forgiving the flaws, it has tons of flaws, but that doesn't stop it being an awesome movie.... But whatever, each to their own and all that.

120DaysofSodom
10-04-2014, 09:26 AM
The first was the best.

I forget which one it is that sucked, but it was the one about that detective that lost his wife in the car accident.

horcrux2007
10-04-2014, 10:46 AM
The first was the best.

I forget which one it is that sucked, but it was the one about that detective that lost his wife in the car accident.

I believe that's either Inferno or Hellseeker.

120DaysofSodom
10-04-2014, 11:09 AM
I believe that's either Inferno or Hellseeker.

Whichever it was, it was a huge bore and had not one cenobite in the whole film.

horrorlover101
01-19-2015, 04:24 PM
Hellraiser I was definitely the best for me personally but i really like the whole franchise...

http://www.wickedhorror.com/top-horror-lists/things-probably-didnt-know-about-hellraiser/

Scream one was also the best of that franchise.. they started to go about ott (funny considering my love for hellraiser that i find scream to be ott) and the greatness from the first got lost on many of the others...

I actually watched Hellraiser again last week and it is one of the classics that withstand the test of time 100%

cheebacheeba
01-20-2015, 02:55 AM
Probably the second one. Not sure why I think that though, it's been ages.
I've only seen the first one of the un-numbered sequels though, the one on the space station. Kind of interesting in ways, but not great.

ImmortalSlasher
01-20-2015, 05:30 PM
The original movie after watching almost all of them this past Halloween.

TeddyFreddy
01-28-2015, 07:15 AM
what an excellent question.... personally i liked the first one (a stickler for the first one of everything) but bloodline added an interesting twist that caught me too. so kinda torn between them.

Jigsaw Killer
01-30-2015, 10:06 PM
Seen them all up to Hellseeker and thus far like the original the best. I have a feeling that won't change.