PDA

View Full Version : Horror Sequels Better Than The Original

Jigsaw Killer
07-10-2012, 02:35 PM
What are some Horror sequels you prefer to the originals? In no order, a few I like better include:

Phantasm II
Friday The 13th Parts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
A Nightmare On Elm Street 3 and New Nightmare
Saw II
Aliens
Predator 2
Puppet Master 2, 3 and 4
Evil Dead II and Army Of Darkness
Hatchet II
Maniac Cop 2 and 3

To name a few, I'm sure there's more. I know some of my picks like Predator 2 may seem odd, but that doesn't mean I dislike the originals, I just like their sequels more. Predator 2 I enjoy better for seeing more of the Predator and in a different setting, and I liked Nightmares 3 and 7 better for being more elaborate and creative than the first Nightmare. Even though I do love the originals in each of their series.

saw1
07-10-2012, 04:16 PM
welcome "jigsaw"

return of the living dead 2 ....
---
but in general....I see that first part often be the best .....
because the main story in it ...for example
saw 1
child’s play 1
scream 1
mirror 1
evil dead 1

Fearonsarms
07-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Agree about return of the living dead part 2

Also include Phantasm 2, Hellraiser 2:Hellbound, Beyond Reanimator

Puppetmaster 2, 3 and 4

Wishmaster 2 and 3

Amityville 2

Dawn Of The Dead (original), Day Of The Dead, Land Of The Dead

Predator 2

Maniac Cop 2 and 3

Friday The 13th Part 4

Art Of The Devil 2

August Underground Mordum

Bob Gray
07-10-2012, 07:21 PM
The Devil's Rejects
Hellbound: Hellraiser II
Dawn of the Dead
Demons II
Return of the Living Dead II
A Nightmare on Elm Street III, IV, V, and New Nightmare
Aliens

SofaKing
07-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Evil Dead 2
Aliens
most Friday the 13th are better than the original imo
The Devil's Rejects
Hostel 2

neverending
07-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Bride of Frankenstein

Fearonsarms
07-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Also

Exorcist 3
The Devil's Rejects
Child's Play 3

Anthropophagus
07-19-2012, 10:10 AM
What are some Horror sequels you prefer to the originals? In no order, a few I like better include:

Phantasm II
Friday The 13th Parts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
A Nightmare On Elm Street 3 and New Nightmare
Saw II
Aliens
Predator 2
Puppet Master 2, 3 and 4
Hatchet II
Maniac Cop 2 and 3

I have to disagree with each and every one of these.None are as good as the original movies in mu opinion.Even Aliens,superb that it is it isnt as good as Ridley`s Stunning original.

Dawn of the Dead would get my vote,not the remake of course,though i do enjoy that one too.
Hostel 2 and mainly because i fell in love with Bijou Philips.;)

It is hard to top the first movie in a franchise though.

Hocika
07-23-2012, 07:55 PM
My favorite is Aliens

Elvis_Christ
07-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Return of the Living Dead Part 2 better than the original? Get outta here! :D

Hatchet II and Final Destination 2 are a couple that come to mind for me.

Jigsaw Killer
07-25-2012, 03:41 AM
I actually slightly prefer ROTLD2 to the original though I love both. I liked how it was in a different setting than the first one which was almost always in one locale.

Fearonsarms
07-26-2012, 02:09 AM
I actually slightly prefer ROTLD2 to the original though I love both. I liked how it was in a different setting than the first one which was almost always in one locale.

I agree but the reason is that I found what happens to the characters to be more macabre. I still adore the original which is certainly dark and has some very memorable scenes but the second just about beats it.

Jigsaw Killer
07-26-2012, 08:17 PM
I agree. And like I said I like how ROTLD2 took place in different setting from the original.

Elvis_Christ
07-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Macabre characters? Don't really get that tbh. Maybe if you were talking about the third film because that's a lot darker than the previous films.

I did enjoy Part II but I wasn't a fan of how they veered the story into being basically a kid's flick.

donniedarko
07-27-2012, 08:50 PM
The only one I can think of is Scream 4 over the Scream series. Probably a minority in this opinion but I just though it was the funniest and scariest. Also would say it was the biggest shock ending.
Maybe it's because it's the only one I saw in the cinema, and that's why I enjoyed it more.

The Villain
07-28-2012, 06:52 AM
The only one I can think of is Scream 4 over the Scream series. Probably a minority in this opinion but I just though it was the funniest and scariest. Also would say it was the biggest shock ending.
Maybe it's because it's the only one I saw in the cinema, and that's why I enjoyed it more.

Couldn't disagree with you more. The original is a classic and started a new trend in horror. The 4th one was a joke, an insult to the original. It wasn't scary or funny and the ending wasn't shocking IMO, it was a lame twist more commonly seen in the Scream ripoffs then the actual Scream movies who knew enough to never go overboard with their reveals.

Fearonsarms
07-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Macabre characters? Don't really get that tbh. Maybe if you were talking about the third film because that's a lot darker than the previous films.

I did enjoy Part II but I wasn't a fan of how they veered the story into being basically a kid's flick.

Re-read my post I didn't say macabre characters-I said what happens to them is more macabre *sigh*

Jigsaw Killer
07-28-2012, 07:34 PM
The Devil's Rejects is another sequel I thought was better. House Of 1, 000 Corpses was good but TDR was a more refined and mature effort, IMO.

Elvis_Christ
07-28-2012, 11:09 PM
Re-read my post I didn't say macabre characters-I said what happens to them is more macabre *sigh*

So you did. Skimmed it too quickly but I didn't find what happened to them to be very macabre either *sigh*

Fearonsarms
07-29-2012, 05:11 AM
The Devil's Rejects is another sequel I thought was better. House Of 1, 000 Corpses was good but TDR was a more refined and mature effort, IMO.

I 100% agree I don't hate House of 1000 corpses but let's be honest it was a mess despite having some good moments. The Devil's Rejects built on the potential of the first film, broadened it's scope and was a more successful throwback to the grindhouse era.

Bob Gray
07-29-2012, 09:42 AM
I 100% agree I don't hate House of 1000 corpses but let's be honest it was a mess despite having some good moments. The Devil's Rejects built on the potential of the first film, broadened it's scope and was a more successful throwback to the grindhouse era.

I'm on the other side of the fence on this one. I absolutely love House of 1,000 Corpses and felt that The Devil's Rejects was a great sequel too but not as great as the first movie.

Straker
07-29-2012, 03:49 PM
It's really rare I prefer a sequel to the original and disagree with 90% of what people have listed in this thread, but I am kinda surprised noone has mentioned Blade 2 yet...

The Villain
07-29-2012, 03:53 PM
It's really rare I prefer a sequel to the original and disagree with 90% of what people have listed in this thread, but I am kinda surprised noone has mentioned Blade 2 yet...

Didn't even think about that. Blade 2 is a lot better then the first one.

Fearonsarms
07-30-2012, 04:01 AM
I'm on the other side of the fence on this one. I absolutely love House of 1,000 Corpses and felt that The Devil's Rejects was a great sequel too but not as great as the first movie.

I do genuinely understand that there will be people who prefer the first film it was full of some very great ideas-I just felt they were delivered in a patchy and messy way whereas The Devil's Rejects also had inventive ideas but were delivered in a more cohesive, well arranged and gripping way

Bob Gray
07-30-2012, 06:25 AM
I do genuinely understand that there will be people who prefer the first film it was full of some very great ideas-I just felt they were delivered in a patchy and messy way whereas The Devil's Rejects also had inventive ideas but were delivered in a more cohesive, well arranged and gripping way

Truth is, I don't even have a clue what it is about the first movie that I like so much, I just do.

realdealblues
07-30-2012, 08:03 AM
More Thriller maybe than Horror and while perhaps not a direct sequel in some minds, Silence Of The Lambs was perfect. I do still like Manhunter though.

Angra
07-30-2012, 12:27 PM
Didn't even think about that. Blade 2 is a lot better then the first one.

Agreed.

Loved the new vampire breed and their crazy-ass mouths. :D

Nat94
07-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Agreed.

Agreed, I would say in order of my faves it would be 2, 3 then 1.. The series is just crap

The Villain
07-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Agreed.

Yeah plus the cast was a lot better. The villain's in the first were just stupid....not as bad as the third one though.

ispydork
07-31-2012, 02:48 PM
Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
Can't think of anymore right now.

Fearonsarms
07-31-2012, 11:46 PM

I LOVE that film and completely understand why you would say it is better than the original. I don't agree for the only reason that I think I've watched the original the most times. Though I saw Part 3 first so it will always have a special place in my heart.

donniedarko
08-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Another horror sequel I prefered is Poltergiest II over Poltergeist. I guess an all around film the first is better, and when I put my top 100 on another forum I belong to itvwas ranked higher, but I believe the second was scarier. Just had more shocking scenes and a better pace.

Jigsaw Killer
08-02-2012, 02:24 PM
I always have preferred Poltergeist II to the first one, also. Mainly because I liked the story better and Kane was a great villain.

Fearonsarms
08-05-2012, 01:08 AM
I always have preferred Poltergeist II to the first one, also. Mainly because I liked the story better and Kane was a great villain.

I found the dialogue to be very sharp and witty in Poltergeist 2 (much more so than the original) and it had some very memorable scenes such as those with creepy Kane-so I enjoyed it a lot. I've probably watched the first film more times though so still prefer it.

_____V_____
08-05-2012, 01:34 AM
Mod note :- Thread edited. Please stick to the topic in discussion.

Jigsaw Killer
08-13-2012, 07:23 PM
I think [REC] 2 was another I enjoyed more than the original, from my memory of the first two [REC] films.

Fearonsarms
08-17-2012, 07:23 AM
I think [REC] 2 was another I enjoyed more than the original, from my memory of the first two [REC] films.

I like them both equally. I'm in the camp that liked the different direction the second went in-much better than trying to re-hash the first film.

Dead&Bloated
08-17-2012, 09:05 AM

I agree completely! Dream Warriors is by far the best Elm Street. Love it! Another sequel that is better than the first is Dawn of the Dead. I love Night and Day has some damn good gore, but Dawn of the Dead is special.

Jigsaw Killer
08-18-2012, 04:28 PM
If it counts as at least part Horror, I also like Gremlins 2 better than the first. I love the original, but the second one was too much fun with the mutant Gremlins rampaging in the corporate building and Gizmo becoming a badass. While it lacked the darker tone and edge of the first one I think it more than makes up for it with sheer fun.

ChronoGrl
08-19-2012, 05:52 PM
I know I'm in the minority but I honestly think that 28 Weeks Later is superior to 28 Days Later. To me, the first movie had a lot of flaws that detracted from the mood and horror while the sequel was really a brilliantly made horror-fest.

Also, Evil Dead II is a far superior movie than the first though I tend to be of the opinion that II was more of a remake for Raimi than a sequel. On that note, Army of Darkness in my opinion is better than the original (though II is slightly better than AoD in my mind - not by much, but slightly better).

MichaelMyers
08-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Lep in Space > Leprechaun

Troll 2 > Troll

Gar19rett
08-25-2012, 02:19 PM
hhahaha troll 2 epic...what about Scream 2? Thought that one was a really good sequel

The Villain
08-26-2012, 09:30 AM
hhahaha troll 2 epic...what about Scream 2? Thought that one was a really good sequel

I thought Scream 2 was a good sequel but not as good as the first

Michael-Myers
08-28-2012, 04:34 PM
I'd have to go with Dawn of the Dead, aliens, and Devils Rejects.

Scream 2 was good but original still my favorite from that series. Although its funny watching that movie now and asking the boyfriend why he owns a cell phone... How times have changed since 96?

The Villain
08-28-2012, 06:24 PM
I'd have to go with Dawn of the Dead, aliens, and Devils Rejects.

Scream 2 was good but original still my favorite from that series. Although its funny watching that movie now and asking the boyfriend why he owns a cell phone... How times have changed since 96?

Ill agree with you on Rejects but NOTLD is my favorite zombie movie and Alien is much better then Aliens IMO. Alien was more a horror film while I felt Aliens ventured too far into action plus I really liked how in Alien they were just being hunted by one and it was more the fear of the unknown. Plus I felt the setup was better.

ferretchucker
08-29-2012, 03:18 PM
I rarely prefer sequels to the original, but I occasionally find myself enjoying them as much - often because they tried something different whilst also retaining links to the original. I think this is because these sorts of sequels feel more like a continuation of the story rather than a rehashing in a different location. For example;

Aliens - rather than simply having another crew come across another Alien in a similar ship, they took the terrifying creatures and moved them from a claustrophobic-horror setting and put them in a war film. This also worked in terms of Ripley's character development - the horrors she faced hardened her and essentially turned her from a victim to a soldier.

T2: Judgement Day - Yes, the essential theme of a cat and mouse chase is there, except (much like Ripley) the Mouse (Sarah Connor) has been hardened by the events of the original.

I guess for me it comes down to consequences. So many sequels - particularly horror sequels - ignore consequences. The survivor from the first film is gone and the antagonist now faces a similar set of potential bodies. Back to square one, "Here's the same film with a bigger body count - can I have some money now?" A true sequel is connected by more than just a single character who serves the same purpose (i.e. iconic masked killer).

Michael-Myers
08-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Ill agree with you on Rejects but NOTLD is my favorite zombie movie and Alien is much better then Aliens IMO. Alien was more a horror film while I felt Aliens ventured too far into action plus I really liked how in Alien they were just being hunted by one and it was more the fear of the unknown. Plus I felt the setup was better.

I agree that Alien was much more suspenseful however I liked the characters in Aliens much more.

Boddicker
08-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Phantasm 2
Evil Dead 2
Aliens

I also agree that most of the F13 sequels are better than the part 1. I can't agree that Bride of Reanimator or Beyond Reanimator are better that original though. Though I consider the Reanimator trilogy the the best trilogy in horror in overall quality.

MichaelMyers
08-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Phantasm 2
I also agree that most of the F13 sequels are better than the part 1. I can't agree that Bride of Reanimator or Beyond Reanimator are better that original though. Though I consider the Reanimator trilogy the the best trilogy in horror in overall quality.

Well I have a challenge for you. What about Romero's Dead trilogy.

Michael-Myers
08-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Phantasm 2
Evil Dead 2
Aliens

I somehow haven't seen phantasm 2 yet. Better than the original huh?

Jigsaw Killer
09-05-2012, 09:45 PM
IMO Phantasm II is better than the (already excellent to begin with) original and the best of the series, though all four are great. A rare series where every entry is top-notch.

Michael-Myers
09-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Definitely need to watch 2-4 then. I loved the first one.

Jigsaw Killer
09-06-2012, 06:10 PM
You'd probably like the sequels if you liked the original, as the sequels all had the same writer and director onboard. And if you're a fan of Aliens you also might like Phantasm II, as the two are very similar with how they compare to the originals.

Michael-Myers
09-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Comparing phantasm II to aliens, now I'm super excited. So glad Halloween season is upon us now...

Jigsaw Killer
09-26-2012, 12:51 AM
Did you finally see Phantasm II?

Jigsaw Killer
10-20-2012, 11:56 PM
This is no doubt a controversial choice, but one sequel I preferred to the original was Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III. I found it more entertaining and it had a good balance of being a more fun traditional Horror movie while still having some pretty disturbing and mean-spirited moments in it. While I acknowledge the original's influence and impact on the genre and can admit objectively it's a better movie, I find TCM3 more entertaining.

metternich1815
06-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Predator 2 and A New Nightmare are two I can think of off the top of my head. Both of these series's original films were really good, but I thought the films mentioned were better than their originals. Honestly, I also liked Friday the 13th Parts III, VI, and VII were better than the original, even though the original was still good. It's just I prefer the ones with Jason (with his hockey mask) better.

Ferox13
06-21-2013, 05:05 AM
The Sub-Species sequels are better than the original.

Jigsaw Killer
06-22-2013, 06:12 PM
It's been forever since I watched the Subspecies films, but I think I might've liked the second better than the first.

TokyoTenshi
06-22-2013, 10:24 PM
^ I agree. I find Bloodstone: Subspecies II to be better than the first.

I think I find Poltergeist II better than the first, maybe because I find Reverend Kane so creepy.

Jigsaw Killer
06-22-2013, 10:52 PM
I like Poltergeist II better also, just by a little though. Mainly because Reverend Kane is so eerie.

TokyoTenshi
06-23-2013, 03:33 AM
Reverend Kane is awesome, too bad he didn't live up to his awesomeness in the 3rd one.

Jigsaw Killer
06-24-2013, 09:43 AM
He was recasted in the third since Julian Beck sadly died during the production of the second one. You could tell the replacement just didn't have the same magic.

sleepaway
06-24-2013, 10:03 AM
I LOVE that film and completely understand why you would say it is better than the original. I don't agree for the only reason that I think I've watched the original the most times. Though I saw Part 3 first so it will always have a special place in my heart.

Part 4 is my favourite - not saying it's the best - just my favourite!

Amityville 2 is way better than 1, also agree with Phantasm 2.

SuperFreddy
06-26-2013, 04:36 AM
Definitely Evil Dead 2. This sequel is so bad in terms of plot, acting and humour that it's actually good :). Sam Rami said one time that ED2 was the movie that he'd like to make from the beginning.

And of course there's the nostalgia factor - it was one of my first horrors.

Ghoulie Joe
06-26-2013, 03:12 PM
The Grudge II
When a Stranger Calls Back

Nates Vault
06-28-2013, 07:10 PM
For my part I would say

Phantasm II
Return of the Living Dead 2 (funnier, IMO)
Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead
Friday The 13th Parts 2, 4, 5, 6, 7
A Nightmare On Elm Street Wes Craven's New Nightmare
Exorcist III
Puppet Master 2, 3 and 4
Maniac Cop 2 and 3

These are subjective though. Ask me tomorrow and I may have changed my mind

Sculpt
07-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Definitely Evil Dead 2. This sequel is so bad in terms of plot, acting and humour that it's actually good :). Sam Rami said one time that ED2 was the movie that he'd like to make from the beginning.

And of course there's the nostalgia factor - it was one of my first horrors.
Agree, ED2 was superior to ED. Of course ED2 is a remake, not a sequel. I don't think the plot, acting or humor of ED2 was worse than ED.

For whatever reason, liking ED tends to depend on if you saw ED first, or ED2 first. Could be many reasons, but I'd have to point to nostalgia as a reason to like ED better or equally well as ED2.

metternich1815
07-03-2013, 04:12 AM
Agree, ED2 was superior to ED. Of course ED2 is a remake, not a sequel. I don't think the plot, acting or humor of ED2 was worse than ED.

For whatever reason, liking ED tends to depend on if you saw ED first, or ED2 first. Could be many reasons, but I'd have to point to nostalgia as a reason to like ED better or equally well as ED2.

Personally, I just think Evil Dead is a better film. I prefer it because of its darker, more serious tone. Although, I did see that film long before its sequel. (On home video, of course)

realdealblues
07-03-2013, 04:40 AM
Personally, I just think Evil Dead is a better film. I prefer it because of its darker, more serious tone. Although, I did see that film long before its sequel. (On home video, of course)

I agree as well. I love the feel of the original. Evil Dead II had a bigger budget and more comedic elements and things that generally make for a better more re-watchable horror film, but I still think the overall darker tone and feel of the original wins for me.

Jigsaw Killer
08-07-2013, 05:43 PM

I think it works as a sequel when you view it as it begins from where ED1 ended. ED2 is sometimes considered a remake but that's just because Sam Raimi couldn't get the rights to the first movie to use the first movie's ending for the recap, so he filmed the scenes at the beginning for a loose recap of the first movie.

LastNightOnEarth
08-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Yes ED2 is by far the best of the three, however I really did like the re-make and some of the original elements like: The pendant, Mia is sitting on Ash's car the first time we see her (are they trying to say Ash was there at some point years ago? hmmmm) TWO CHARACTERS LOSING HANDS! And then Mia sticking her stump in the chainsaw at the end. I admit I laughed out loud and cheered! Do have to admit I would have liked to have seen Bruce Campbell playing the father at the beginning, at first glance I did think it was him.

But we are talking superior sequels here aren't we. Ok here's my list in noparticular order.

Halloween 2 Because it is the only sequel ever (that comes to mind), that takes up the moment the previous installment left off. Plus there is no slow build up, Haddonfield is in the thick of it.

The Devil's Rejects Rob Zombie gets it right! And then only gets half of his Halloween re-make right...the first half...the backstory.

Phantasm II (props to Jigsaw Killer)

Friday the 13th part II (Introducing Jason!! Also i have to admit I am directly connected to the original cause the location was my boyscout camp in Blairstown, NJ so that was a hard decision for me)

Dawn of The Dead Honestly because it was bigger in vision, but the blue zombies still annoy me. However the Zach Synder version beats them all.

Evil Dead 2 all ready covered that

Prometheus yeah, yeah, Ridley Scott it isn't a "prequel" to "Alien"we know...cough, cough "BS!" And it has Fassbender!

Blairwitch 2: Book of Shadows basically because it was watchable, and there is something to be said about a Wiccan orgy in the woods....something that happens to be on my bucket list.

Let's see....Do we consider 3rd & 4th installments??? I guess so, I pulled "Prometheus" out of no where, bet you automatically thought of "Aliens"??? yeah that one is more exciting than the original, but I think "Alien" is a better film.

OHHH!!! American Psycho 2 starring William Shatner.....I kid, I jest, I joke. That movie is awful.

The Villain
08-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Halloween 2 Because it is the only sequel ever (that comes to mind), that takes up the moment the previous installment left off. Plus there is no slow build up, Haddonfield is in the thick of it.

REC 2 also picks up exactly where the first one left off

LastNightOnEarth
08-08-2013, 06:57 AM
REC 2 also picks up exactly where the first one left off

Interesting, I did not know that. I used to be way into foreign films, especially after the crouching tiger phase, but I really can't stand reading subtitles anymore. There was some french movie about a girl, and her car broke down and she was running from a killer and she had a chainsaw, but it turned out she was the killer, I don't remember, but I think that was the last one I actually watched.

metternich1815
08-08-2013, 07:18 AM
Interesting, I did not know that. I used to be way into foreign films, especially after the crouching tiger phase, but I really can't stand reading subtitles anymore. There was some french movie about a girl, and her car broke down and she was running from a killer and she had a chainsaw, but it turned out she was the killer, I don't remember, but I think that was the last one I actually watched.

I think that film is called High Tension (also known as Haute Tension). I have not seen of it, but I have heard of it. I recently (like in the past year) started watching foreign (mainly horror) movies. I really enjoyed Rec, Shutter (2004), and Tale of Two Sisters.

hammerfan
08-08-2013, 09:02 AM
I think that film is called High Tension (also known as Haute Tension). I have not seen of it, but I have heard of it. I recently (like in the past year) started watching foreign (mainly horror) movies. I really enjoyed Rec, Shutter (2004), and Tale of Two Sisters.

Check out "Dumplings"

LastNightOnEarth
08-13-2013, 04:54 PM

High Tension! Yeah that's it! that was great!

metternich1815
08-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Check out "Dumplings"

I think that film was included with the special edition of Three...Extremes (3 Extremes) I bought today. Unless it's just part of the film, I do not know, I have not seen it yet. I just know that I saw a disc that said Dumplings on it.

LastNightOnEarth
08-31-2013, 08:04 PM
Ok, here's a sequel that blows away the original..."V.H.S 2" watched it last night On Demand. WOW! It was freaky good. Loved he original but this kind of blew it away. Found it very creative in the use of camera work and picture quality. I mean it's called VHS but who the hell wants to watch grainy camera footage.

One story had a guy with a prosthetic eye with a camera in it to give him sight cause he lost his eye in a car accident and he saw everything in HD....story was he was seeing ghosts, but it was HD.

Another one was a first-person zombie story from the zombie's perspective. Dude is mountain biking in the woods with a helmet camera and he gets turned into a zombie.

Another was a Jim Jones story with a camera crew inside the compound...that one was freaky as hell and pretty disturbing.

The final was an alien story, this didn't get the HD treatment but the SFX were pretty wild.

Jigsaw Killer
09-03-2013, 07:58 PM
I still have to see the V/H/S movies, been intrigued to see both of them.

hammerfan
09-04-2013, 04:12 AM
I still have to see the V/H/S movies, been intrigued to see both of them.

I saw the first one, thought it was entertaining enough. Still have to see the second one.

Bren
09-04-2013, 04:34 AM
Dawn of the Dead. IMO .. the original has a wtf scene involving a bunch of biker gang members which has no valid reason to be in the film and is quite silly.The new version is much better I think.

Sicknero
09-04-2013, 05:00 AM
I watched V/H/S 1 and 2 not long ago. I thought they were both pretty good fun and would have a hard time picking a favourite.

Both have some good sub-stories, though I didn't really click with the Ring-style death by video thingy...

In some ways I personally preferred 1 - the found footage in 2 seemed a bit too contrived in places and occasionaly spoiled the flow/immersion for me.

Both very good films anyway imo, some of it quite inventive and with a few moments of (unintentional?) hilarity. I did think the last segment of 2 was a poor choice. Enjoyable enough but guys in Roswell-style alien suits are never going to be frightening really. Or not in this anyway.

Jigsaw Killer
09-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Dawn of the Dead. IMO .. the original has a wtf scene involving a bunch of biker gang members which has no valid reason to be in the film and is quite silly.The new version is much better I think.

Are you referring to the Dawn OTD remake there?

Haifisch
09-04-2013, 04:57 PM
I liked the new Dawn of the Dead more than the original as well. I never thought I'd find someone who agrees with me.
As for actual sequels, though...hmm...
I liked Hostel Part 2 more than the first. I thought it was way more satisfying and entertaining. The first was decent enough, but I expected more from it.
I also find Saw 2 to be a criminally underrated sequel. It had one of the best twist endings in the entire series, and I liked how more people were involved in the main trap.
Evil Dead 2 is not only my favorite from its franchise, but one of my favorite horror movies of all time. I'm not sure if it counts, though, since it's technically a remake.
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 is another one I find underrated. A lot of people hated the finale, but I had no qualms with it. The film holds a special place in my heart for being the first ever Hellraiser movie I watched. I saw it back when I was 11, and it left an impression on me.
Subspecies 2 is miles above its predecessor. I found the first one to be an absolute bore, but from start to finish I enjoyed the hell out of the second.
Also, I'd like to make mention of my favorite prequels. Puppet Master 3: Toulon's Revenge was my favorite in the PM series. There was more suspense, more personality, and you can never go wrong with a movie that involves killing Nazis.
I don't know how many of you consider Planet of the Apes to be horror, but Rise of the Planet of the Apes is one of my all time favorite films. I think it has its place in the horror genre, being a cautionary tale about man's self-destructive nature.

Jigsaw Killer
09-05-2013, 02:54 AM
I remember seeing the first two or three Subspecies films as a kid, I sort of seem to remember liking the second the best from my memory.

Hapexamendios
09-05-2013, 01:27 PM
I recently watched the first 3 Universal "Frankenstein" movies and I think each is better than the one before. Especially Son of Frankenstein which is really well paced and structured.

Jigsaw Killer
09-05-2013, 05:03 PM
I can't remember if I even saw the Frankenstein sequels, been so long since I saw the old Universal Horror films.

ozzy554
04-04-2014, 05:51 AM
Phantasm 2

Friday the 13th parts 2, 4, 6

Bride of frankenstein/Son of frankenstein

Day of the dead, Dawn of the dead

Silence of the lambs

The devil's Rejects

I don't know if this counts has horror but The toxic avenger 4

maniac cop 2

Leprechaun 2, 3

Wrong turn 2

28 weeks later

FryeDwight
04-05-2014, 02:45 AM
I liked 28 WEEKS LATER myself.
Also THE MUMMY'S HAND (1940-actually moves compared to the Karloff film), REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1958), BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935-still love the original too) and DRACULA'S DAUGHTER (1936).

The Villain
04-06-2014, 05:21 AM
Phantasm 2

Friday the 13th parts 2, 4, 6

Bride of frankenstein/Son of frankenstein

Day of the dead, Dawn of the dead

Silence of the lambs

The devil's Rejects

I don't know if this counts has horror but The toxic avenger 4

maniac cop 2

Leprechaun 2, 3

Wrong turn 2

28 weeks later

Does Silence of The Lambs really count? Was it supposed to connect with Manhunter or were they supposed to be separate films because i thought Red Dragon was the Manhunter of that series, you know since it was the actual first one. Red Dragon was a prequel so that doesn't really count as Silence being a sequel.

a stranger
04-06-2014, 06:59 AM
Creepshow 2

Kandarian Demon
04-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Definitely Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. Better acting, better story, more depth to the characters... just a much better movie than the original.

Ferox13
04-07-2014, 12:12 AM
Definitely Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. Better acting, better story, more depth to the characters... just a much better movie than the original.

Has the world gone mad....

The Villain
04-07-2014, 03:12 AM

You're definitely in the minority there bro

Kandarian Demon
04-07-2014, 07:40 AM
It's just an opinion, guys... I realise that TCM is a classic, and that it was extreme for it's time. I'm not saying the original was crap! But it doesn't have much of a story, and it ends just as it starts to get good. The sequel? That was my first step towards vegetarianism, I couldn't eat meat for days after watching it for the first time. I've seen much worse since then, but at the time it was just about the most disturbing movie I had ever seen, and that included the original.

The Villain
04-07-2014, 08:47 AM
It's just an opinion, guys... I realise that TCM is a classic, and that it was extreme for it's time. I'm not saying the original was crap! But it doesn't have much of a story, and it ends just as it starts to get good. The sequel? That was my first step towards vegetarianism, I couldn't eat meat for days after watching it for the first time. I've seen much worse since then, but at the time it was just about the most disturbing movie I had ever seen, and that included the original.

You're entitled to your opinion and no one should make you feel otherwise. Personally I'm surprised by it and don't agree because to me TCM is one of the most disturbing, scary films I've ever seen. To your point on not having a story I think it had a really good one and the abrubt ending fit with the movies blunt delivery.

Ferox13
04-08-2014, 07:37 AM
Though I did like Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, it was very campy and played for laughs a lot of the time. Leatherface having a love interest wasn't a good idea either.

Didn't they pretty much do the Granpa scene all over again in it too?

shadyJ
04-08-2014, 09:26 AM

I never realized that an opinion could actually be wrong, but here we are...

Sculpt
04-08-2014, 03:59 PM
Hi Kanda! I just want to make sure... are you talking about TCM2 1986, right? I would agree TCM2 had a more elaborate story, characters and acting... but towards what end, we might disagree.

IMO, I thought a lot of the acting in TCM2 seemed like acting... a bit cartoonish. In contrast to TCM1, where the characters were simple, but followed the documentarian/vérité format of film. I thought TCSM1 displayed the villains as real people who ate people. They were deranged in a simple immature way, but they didn't physically torture people. In TCM2, it seemed like the film was glorifying them, they seemed more cartoonish, smarter, witty, like they wanted to torture, and unbelievable. I don't even remember any of the non-villain characters. It was a black comedy, that I thought was utterly without humor... in the way I wouldn't be laughing while watching TCSM1, because what was happening was so despicable. After seeing TCM2 on the big screen, I wished I hadn't -- I wondered if Hopper was making fun of people who'd be interested in "TCM" subject... so as to be ironic. I've never read Hopper say anything of the sort. It just seemed sardonic in a mean-spirited way; but more so, I wasn't entertained.
You're definitely in the minority there bro
Actually, Kanda isn't a bro, she's a sis.
I think the abrupt ending was part of the vérité-ish format: you swoop in and watch what happens, and swoop out. The unresolved issue (story) is part of the deep seated horror of it. I know you're not slamming TCM1. I'm not saying I prefer those type of movies, just that is was self-consistent and effective doing it.
You're entitled to your opinion and no one should make you feel otherwise. Personally I'm surprised by it and don't agree because to me TCM is one of the most disturbing, scary films I've ever seen. To your point on not having a story I think it had a really good one and the abrubt ending fit with the movies blunt delivery.
Agree on the ending.
I never realized that an opinion could actually be wrong, but here we are...
It's not a wrong opinion, ShadyJ, just a different one. HDC members try to be very respectful of each other, especially in the area of divergent opinions. If everyone agreed, what would be the point in posting at all?

The Villain
04-08-2014, 04:17 PM
Actually, Kanda isn't a bro, she's a sis.

Oops sorry Kandarian, i didn't know that.

It's not a wrong opinion, ShadyJ, just a different one. HDC members try to be very respectful of each other, especially in the area of divergent opinions. If everyone agreed, what would be the point in posting at all?

Totally agree. No one here should ever make someone feel like they're opinion is wrong or stupid. You have every right to like what you want just as we have every right to disagree respectfully.

Baron Von Marlon
04-08-2014, 09:15 PM
It's nice to see there are still places online where people treat eachother with respect.
On most movie sites I visit people seem to have a real hard time understanding that there are people with a different taste in movies than themselves.
Also applies to music.
How does that saying go? One man's trash is another man's treasure?

Sculpt
04-09-2014, 11:53 AM
There aren't many sequels I've seen that I liked better than the original.

The Road Warrior (mad max 2)
Spiderman 2
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
Evil Dead 2
Last Crusade>Temple
Goldfinger>Russia/Dr No

I liked Alien, Predator, Night of the Living Dead, Frankenstein, Return of the Living Dead and Terminator either better or about as much as the sequels. There's quite a few others have listed that I haven't seen.

Kandarian Demon
04-09-2014, 12:59 PM
Hi Kanda! I just want to make sure... are you talking about TCM2 1986, right?

Yes, that's the one.

Btw I think that first impressions has a LOT to do with how we feel about a movie, even when we re-watch it years later. I'm just about 37, so a bit too young to have seen TCM when it was released - I can easily imagine that it MUST have been very disturbing then, if I compare it to other movies from that time. In the same way - TCM 2 was one of the first horror movies I saw after my parents stopped censoring what I could or couldn't watch, and I'm sure that influenced my opinion too.

I thought TCSM1 displayed the villains as real people who ate people. They were deranged in a simple immature way, but they didn't physically torture people. In TCM2, it seemed like the film was glorifying them, they seemed more cartoonish, smarter, witty, like they wanted to torture, and unbelievable.

The thing is that as cartoonish as they were, I found especially the older brother to be much creepier. The other brothers, you'd know on sight to stay away from them, and they were a bit limited by their low intelligence... but the older one? He was the one who could blend in with the rest of us, but he was probably much more disturbed than his brothers combined. That's something that always gets to me in a horror movie. Leatherface is a scary character too, but you wouldn't accidentally invite him home for a cup of tea.

Oops sorry Kandarian, i didn't know that.

Don't worry about it, I've been called much worse ::big grin::

I very much agree with this one, which is my all time favourite Star Trek... anything. Khan happens to be one of my all time favourite villains, too... Ricardo Montalban did an amazing job playing that character.

By the way... another sequel I think is better than the original, and this one might raise a few eyebrows too:

Hellraiser II

I love the first one too - but the second one just creeped me out so much more (especially Dr. Channard!), and visually I think it's almost a little work of art. I absolutely loved the first 4 movies, but after that... probably the franchise with the worst sequels ever.

xX_StarChild_Xx
04-09-2014, 07:17 PM
Hellraiser II

So, I am not the only one. :) This movie gave me nightmares, and I believe it is the Hellraiser film that most fully embodied the idea behind the films. The surrealist imagry, gonzo violence, and Sadomasachistic tone....a little gift for the deranged in all of us.

Kandarian Demon
04-09-2014, 10:30 PM
So, I am not the only one. :) This movie gave me nightmares, and I believe it is the Hellraiser film that most fully embodied the idea behind the films. The surrealist imagry, gonzo violence, and Sadomasachistic tone....a little gift for the deranged in all of us.

Yep... and I also think it's the one where they used the Pinhead character most effectively.

That scene with the guy who is trying to cut out the maggots from his body... it's one of the few scenes from a horror movie that I just won't ever "get used to". And like I mentioned earlier, Dr. Channard... there's just something incredibly disturbing about him, and for some reason, that sound he makes really gives me the creeps ::big grin::

Jigsaw Killer
04-16-2014, 09:04 PM
I must chime in and say nobody is wrong for having a controversial opinion like TCM2 being better than the first, it's all a matter of personal taste and preference. Heck, I happen to prefer TCM3 to the original myself as well as the 2003 remake and it's prequel, though with that said I respect the original for it's legacy and influence.

HorrorHound9
05-04-2014, 12:41 AM
Yes, it was a long time between films, thus more of a reason why was one was in the "so bad its (almost) good variety and another in the "this totally rocks my world" for the revenge horror sub-genre.

haven't seen the remake? Here's some pics, etc

http://wickedhorror.com/horror-reviews/horror-movie-reviews/i-spit-on-your-grave-sexy-revenge/

Ferox13
05-04-2014, 11:11 AM
I must chime in and say nobody is wrong for having a controversial opinion like TCM2 being better than the first, it's all a matter of personal taste and preference. Heck, I happen to prefer TCM3 to the original myself as well as the 2003 remake and it's prequel, though with that said I respect the original for it's legacy and influence.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bP6k59dMHBI/UnQmzKaljjI/AAAAAAAAZUA/3ZDsMcXw4d0/s400/grumpy-cat-8141_preview_zps9177ab07.png

Jigsaw Killer
05-05-2014, 08:43 PM
It's all purely personal taste...

lucioargento
05-08-2014, 01:27 PM
Well nobody's gonna agree with this but I LOVE Cabin Fever 2! Well better than the first.
And that's my only one for me where the sequel is better than the original. Phantasm 2 does come close though.......

MichaelMyers
05-08-2014, 02:29 PM
I believe Friday the 13th III to be superior to either of its predecessors.

Jigsaw Killer
06-10-2014, 02:17 PM
I may like Paranormal Activity 2 slighty more than the first, I went through the series pretty recently and it held up quite well.

metternich1815
06-10-2014, 05:17 PM
I may like Paranormal Activity 2 slighty more than the first, I went through the series pretty recently and it held up quite well.

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

The first film was released in 2009. That's not that long ago. The reason I say that is that when people say something like "I went through the series...it held up quite well", that usually implies that it has held up good despite being old. Personally, I think the first was far and away the best in the series. The first two sequels were not pretty good, but the first was brilliant. The fourth one was terrible, the fifth was better than the fourth, but not as good as I expected. At least it did not take itself seriously. I think the fact they introduced time travel is evidence of that. Overall, it's not a bad series though.

Triombies
06-11-2014, 10:47 AM
Aliens.
Army of Darkness.
The Devil's Rejects.
Dawn of the Dead.

Jigsaw Killer
06-12-2014, 11:18 PM
*POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

The first film was released in 2009. That's not that long ago. The reason I say that is that when people say something like "I went through the series...it held up quite well", that usually implies that it has held up good despite being old. Personally, I think the first was far and away the best in the series. The first two sequels were not pretty good, but the first was brilliant. The fourth one was terrible, the fifth was better than the fourth, but not as good as I expected. At least it did not take itself seriously. I think the fact they introduced time travel is evidence of that. Overall, it's not a bad series though.

I liked them all and even 4 was better than I remembered. I find 1 and 2 are pretty close for my favorite of the series.

BloodSweatAndFears
06-13-2014, 08:07 PM
I liked the TCM remake in 03 best

Jigsaw Killer
06-20-2014, 07:42 PM
I liked the TCM remake in 03 best

Not a sequel, though.

Jigsaw Killer
07-20-2014, 12:34 AM
The Purge: Anarchy is an instant addition to any superior sequels list. Totally blew away the original.

Giganticface
07-21-2014, 09:27 PM
The Purge: Anarchy is an instant addition to any superior sequels list. Totally blew away the original.

I agree, it was better, but didn't think it was amazing. Entertaining though, and without the "no you di'nt" moments that made the original a bit hard to swallow.

Well nobody's gonna agree with this but I LOVE Cabin Fever 2! Well better than the first.
And that's my only one for me where the sequel is better than the original. Phantasm 2 does come close though.......

I like the original better, but agree the sequel is underrated, and really super freakin gross.

Jigsaw Killer
08-07-2014, 02:48 PM
It felt like it did much more with the concept. The first Purge wasn't bad but didn't go all-out with the urban setting like the sequel. Which in all fairness is no doubt due to the much smaller budget.

Damn Heathen
08-24-2014, 03:58 AM
I've always preferred Hannibal to Lambs. To watch Hannibal unbound in Florence is a treat. So, better setting, better Hannibal, better investigation, better variety of threats, etc.

Jigsaw Killer
07-06-2017, 11:49 AM
Long time since this thread was last active. Time to bring it back.

The Conjuring 2 is one I'd definitely add to my list of Horror sequels that surpass the original. Blade II is another, though it and the original are very close for me.

Roiffalo
07-08-2017, 09:48 PM
I've always preferred Hannibal to Lambs. To watch Hannibal unbound in Florence is a treat. So, better setting, better Hannibal, better investigation, better variety of threats, etc.

I'm not alone!

Also

Aliens > Alien

Jigsaw Killer
07-09-2017, 12:14 AM
I remember not much liking Hannibal but it's been so long since I last saw it I feel I need to give it another go to give it a fair shake. At the time it came out it didn't help that it'd been ten long years since TSOTL and expectations were impossibly high.

Sculpt
07-09-2017, 01:31 PM
I remember not much liking Hannibal but it's been so long since I last saw it I feel I need to give it another go to give it a fair shake. At the time it came out it didn't help that it'd been ten long years since TSOTL and expectations were impossibly high.
I'm with you... it's been a long time since I saw Hannibal... I remember the Ray Liotta scene, and not liking the film much compared to Lambs. Just kinda felt unhinged to me... and not in a good way. I don't remember being scared, just more grossed out... horrified? meh...

Actually, I really liked Red Dragon (2002) a lot more -- with Edward Norton and Anthony Hopkins -- thought it was an effective thriller. I mean Hannibal is an intelligent psychiatrist... that's the distinctive spice of the character. I don't remember the film Hannibal using that aspect.

Jigsaw Killer
07-09-2017, 08:25 PM
I still haven't seen Red Dragon, though I have seen Manhunter, which I like a lot. I like TSOTL the best of the Hannibal films but Manhunter is surely in second place.

Sculpt
07-09-2017, 09:59 PM
I still haven't seen Red Dragon, though I have seen Manhunter, which I like a lot. I like TSOTL the best of the Hannibal films but Manhunter is surely in second place.

Manhunter was cool, though the loud background music was rather odd at times.

Jigsaw Killer
07-10-2017, 06:38 PM
Manhunter is very 80s, which I think is part of it's charm. Excellent score and music as well.

Jigsaw Killer
07-14-2017, 08:48 PM
Another Horror sequel I personally prefer to the original and very controversially so is The Fly II. While the Cronenberg remake is excellent I always enjoyed the sequel just a little more. Objectively the Cronenberg film is probably better from a filmmaking and story perspective, but I find the sequel a little more entertaining overall. Always been a big fan of the MartinFly creature as well which I always felt was an underrated monster and still a terrific creature design.

Sculpt
07-14-2017, 10:17 PM
Another Horror sequel I personally prefer to the original and very controversially so is The Fly II. While the Cronenberg remake is excellent I always enjoyed the sequel just a little more. Objectively the Cronenberg film is probably better from a filmmaking and story perspective, but I find the sequel a little more entertaining overall. Always been a big fan of the MartinFly creature as well which I always felt was an underrated monster and still a terrific creature design.
Not to be a contrarian... I saw The Fly 2 twice, shortly after it came out, and then some 10 years ago. I really didn't like it either time. There's just something wrong about it... I want to say it's incoherent... but it's not that I don't understand it, just that something is off as a film. Peaking at Rottentomatoes.com over 21,000 audience 23%, 15 critics 27%. Pretty universally disliked. *shrug*

Jigsaw Killer
07-15-2017, 12:00 PM
It's never been a well-received film, but it's one I've always enjoyed. It's more of a traditional monster movie in contrast with the original which is more of a tragic love story. Both are radically different films and with the sequel they were probably going for the splatter/monster movie crowd who were more interested in seeing gruesome special effects.

Sculpt
07-18-2017, 04:45 PM
It's never been a well-received film, but it's one I've always enjoyed. It's more of a traditional monster movie in contrast with the original which is more of a tragic love story. Both are radically different films and with the sequel they were probably going for the splatter/monster movie crowd who were more interested in seeing gruesome special effects.
Can't argue that They probably should have called it "The Fly: Transformation", or something like that -- rather than calling it "The Fly II". You know, if you're going to hook yourself the original so directly like that, you're courting expectations. When not met, people feel ripped off and fooled. Darn marketing executives! ::big grin::

Jigsaw Killer
07-18-2017, 06:10 PM
I give them credit for at least trying something different with the sequel as I don't think doing the original's plot all over again would've worked then. I also think the infamous dog sequence plays a big part in people disliking the second film, I recall it got quite a bit of backlash for that sequence. Nearly 30 years later it's still quite a disturbing and upsetting moment.

Jigsaw Killer
07-21-2017, 12:48 PM
It's a prequel, but last year's Ouija: Origin Of Evil is definitely much better than the original. I actually didn't dislike the original like so many did but it was ultimately pretty forgettable and not something I'd want to see again. the prequel on the other hand felt old-school and had much better atmosphere and suspense, and more interesting characters.

LostKite
10-28-2017, 06:28 AM
I like to be open to sequels but horror is one genre where it doesn't seem to make sense to me to make one.

However there are indeed horror sequels I thought were better than the first one though I still find Saw I is the only one in the series that doesn't annoy me.

I thought Cube 2: Hypercube was definitely better than the first, partly because it adds a new dimension it the gameplay (both figuratively and literally) and doesn't have the same scrips problems.

I though Paranormal Activity 2 was the best of the series back when it was still fresh but didn't give things away as easily as the first so you feel the characters are actually in danger.

I also thought Revenge of chucky was better made than the child's play.

Hostel 2 is better than the first one? The first one is like my 2nd favourite horror movie... though I vowed to never watch the 2nd in case Eli Roth was enough of a jerk to invalidate the ending of the first movie. And we all know he is capable of trolling the audience in the worse way (Knock Knock).

Jigsaw Killer
11-04-2017, 06:55 PM
There's no Child's Play sequel called Revenge Of Chucky so far, I think you have it mixed up with another.

Sculpt
11-04-2017, 08:22 PM
There's no Child's Play sequel called Revenge Of Chucky so far, I think you have it mixed up with another.

Ya, isn't the sequel called, "Romancing the Chucky" or something?

fudgetusk
11-06-2017, 05:32 AM

HAHAHAH.

Is that real? You never know these days.

Jigsaw Killer
11-30-2017, 07:07 PM

Ha, no. Not yet anyway, who knows if we won't get that as the next sequel.

Crimson Jade
12-01-2017, 08:58 AM
I thought the sequel to "The Crow" was pretty darn good...I also liked the sequels to "Candyman"--just awesome!!! ::devil::

video
12-05-2017, 09:27 AM
not really a sequel (sort of an odd spin off) but targets

Sculpt
12-05-2017, 05:03 PM
I'll re-post from years ago... There aren't many sequels I liked better than the original.

Spider-man 2 (2004)
Evil Dead 2
Last Crusade>Temple (going by my theater viewings)
Goldfinger>From Russia with Love/Dr No

Jigsaw Killer
12-08-2017, 07:42 PM
I'll re-post from years ago... There aren't many sequels I liked better than the original.

Spider-man 2 (2004)
Last Crusade>Temple (going by my theater viewings)
Goldfinger>From Russia with Love/Dr No

These aren't Horror, although Temple Of Doom does toy with Horror-y aspects. I recall saying you saw TOD again years ago and you might've liked it more than Crusade. I definitely far prefer it. Crusade is fun but I felt too campy at times and too deriative of Raiders.

Sculpt
12-09-2017, 03:14 PM
These aren't Horror, although Temple Of Doom does toy with Horror-y aspects. I recall saying you saw TOD again years ago and you might've liked it more than Crusade. I definitely far prefer it. Crusade is fun but I felt too campy at times and too deriative of Raiders.
Too true, I didn't follow the thread title specification for horror films. ::stick out tongue::

And you have a great memory... yes, I do like Temple of Doom better than Last Crusade, particularly because TOD is fully engrossing, suspension of disbelief is well maintained, and it's just flat-out fascinating. Whereas Last Crusade feels much too self-aware, like it knows it's being watched by an audience, often feels like a parody, and it's less engrossing and less believable as a result.

However, comparing the first viewings at the theater of both films, Doom was a let down to the long shadow of 'Raiders' (certainly a difficult act to follow, especially via a prequel that must ignore the character changes Indy earned through Raiders), but I really enjoyed Crusade. I think seeing Crusade in the more forced engrossing confines of a theater, and the big screen, quite simply helps Crusade mightily.

Jigsaw Killer
12-09-2017, 04:58 PM
Too true, I didn't follow the thread title specification for horror films. ::stick out tongue::

And you have a great memory... yes, I do like Temple of Doom better than Last Crusade, particularly because TOD is fully engrossing, suspension of disbelief is well maintained, and it's just flat-out fascinating. Whereas Last Crusade feels much too self-aware, like it knows it's being watched by an audience, often feels like a parody, and it's less engrossing and less believable as a result.

However, comparing the first viewings at the theater of both films, Doom was a let down to the long shadow of 'Raiders' (certainly a difficult act to follow, especially via a prequel that must ignore the character changes Indy earned through Raiders), but I really enjoyed Crusade. I think seeing Crusade in the more forced engrossing confines of a theater, and the big screen, quite simply helps Crusade mightily.

No worries there, mix-ups happen :D

I wasn't born yet when the first two Indy films were out (I was 2 when Last Crusade came out), but I can imagine TOD at the time being so hot off the success of Raiders probably had massive expectations and probably didn't meet them for a lot of people, and moreso with it in terms of the story and tone being a big change from Raiders. TOD is so much darker and at times goes into some uncomfortable territory such as human sacrifice and child slavery, which I felt just added to how evil the villains were and made you want to see Indiana Jones succeed that much more against them. People probably weren't expecting such a dramatic tonal shift and the movie to get as dark and grim as it did at times.

Last Crusade is entertaining but at times way too goofy and comical, and definitely far too deriative of Raiders at times. Spielberg has even said when he made the film he had the idea to basically have it be Raiders but with Sean Connery in the mix, which at times it very much feels like. It played it too safe much of the time and also suffered from dull villains, a somewhat underwhelming climax and really hurt both Sallah and Brody's characters. Still a fine film, but a sizable stepdown from the first two for me.

TOD is the closest the series ever got to Horror and I'd like it if the next film was more Horror-oriented. Indy is a character who lends himself well to Horror scenarios for sure. Funny enough, one of the earlier concepts for Last Crusade involved a haunted castle, which I would've liked to have seen.

Sculpt
12-09-2017, 07:04 PM
No worries there, mix-ups happen :D

I wasn't born yet when the first two Indy films were out (I was 2 when Last Crusade came out), but I can imagine TOD at the time being so hot off the success of Raiders probably had massive expectations and probably didn't meet them for a lot of people, and moreso with it in terms of the story and tone being a big change from Raiders. TOD is so much darker and at times goes into some uncomfortable territory such as human sacrifice and child slavery, which I felt just added to how evil the villains were and made you want to see Indiana Jones succeed that much more against them. People probably weren't expecting such a dramatic tonal shift and the movie to get as dark and grim as it did at times.

Last Crusade is entertaining but at times way too goofy and comical, and definitely far too deriative of Raiders at times. Spielberg has even said when he made the film he had the idea to basically have it be Raiders but with Sean Connery in the mix, which at times it very much feels like. It played it too safe much of the time and also suffered from dull villains, a somewhat underwhelming climax and really hurt both Sallah and Brody's characters. Still a fine film, but a sizable stepdown from the first two for me.

TOD is the closest the series ever got to Horror and I'd like it if the next film was more Horror-oriented. Indy is a character who lends himself well to Horror scenarios for sure. Funny enough, one of the earlier concepts for Last Crusade involved a haunted castle, which I would've liked to have seen.
Well said. And really Raiders plays a great deal with fear and other elements of horror. TOD was darker and added even more horror elements, but I wouldn't say those were the things that made it a step down from Raiders. There was less awe and wonderment, and also less surprise and suspense.

Ultimately the subject matter is certainly going to make its mark on the film. Going from the Ark of the Convenant tug-of-war with Nazi Germany to an extremely isolated cult in India is going to take its toll.

TOD is a hell of an Indy film, I think it pushed into the TV serial much more than Raiders did, which was really the inspiration for both, but the Raiders story just went for epic and hit it, whereas TOD had no such aspiration.

And so true, Crusade had one of the weakest villain(s) in film. For the most part Crusade lacked the omni-present visceral fear that Raiders and TOD carried throughout. There were dangerous thrilling moments in Crusade, but along with lacking an arching continuity, the goofiness of the humor-for-humors-sake as opposed to seamless comic relief, and the sense of parody, left the audience feeling much too safe and aware of the "film".

Jigsaw Killer
12-18-2017, 07:20 PM
TOD is definitely the one that most felt like the vintage adventure serials that inspired the series in the first place. That with the darker mood and borderline Horror feel make it a standout of the series. I've had it a couple of times in my Horror marathon viewings and it's definitely not out of place in a Horrorthon. The closest the series ever came to Horror. I'd love for Indy 5 to be more like it.

That's very true about Crusade as well. It never had that feeling of danger and foreboding the first two had. There was that feeling Indy could die at any moment and maybe things might not work out so well. With Crusade it felt much more by the numbers.

Jigsaw Killer
01-03-2018, 01:56 PM
It's a prequel, but another more recent Horror follow-up I found better than it's predecessor was Annabelle: Creation.

stonebrothersproduction
01-04-2018, 02:32 PM
I'd have to say I enjoyed the re-release of The Babysitter more than the original. I have no idea if that counts due to it not being the original movie maker not making the sequel or remake I should say, but I thought I should include it for those interested in one better than the original. It was hilarious too.

Sculpt
01-04-2018, 04:41 PM
I'd have to say I enjoyed the re-release of The Babysitter more than the original. I have no idea if that counts due to it not being the original movie maker not making the sequel or remake I should say, but I thought I should include it for those interested in one better than the original. It was hilarious too.

The Babysitter (2017) was pretty good until after the big reveal. But, ya, I'd agree with you, it doesn't count because I don't see any previous films that have anything to do with this film. Well, I guess I should ask you, Stone, what prior "The Babysitter" film did you see that you thought might be related to the 2017 film? There are a lot of films with that name.

Jigsaw Killer
01-17-2018, 06:25 PM
That film sounds familiar somehow, but I've yet to see it. Consider my interest piqued.

nat23
02-06-2018, 07:54 PM
The Secret Window is a great thriller with horror elements. I think the last version with Johnny Depp is better than the one of 1987. Really appreciate Depp as an actor and basically all the movies he plays at are memorable. There was this story about a mysterious dark house he worked at, looks quite like his own old villa in France (https://tranio.com/france/adt/1635106/) which he bought in 2001.

LuvablePsycho
04-22-2018, 07:35 AM
I like Bride of Chucky a lot more than the first three Child's Play films. In fact I'd go as far as to say that it's one of my favorite horror movies of all time.

I also liked George Romero's Day of the Dead a lot more than I did the previous movie Dawn of the Dead. I really don't get why most people preferred Dawn of the Dead because the make-up for those zombies sucked. The zombies looked so much better in Day of the Dead and even the original Night of the Living Dead.

STTC2K18
04-22-2018, 08:52 AM
The only legitimate sequel better than the original is New Nightmare > Nightmare. I can't think of one other. I don't agree with most posts in this thread haha

Maybe Romero's "Dead" series got better as it went. Dawn was certainly better than Night haha

LuvablePsycho
04-24-2018, 10:19 AM
The only legitimate sequel better than the original is New Nightmare > Nightmare. I can't think of one other. I don't agree with most posts in this thread haha

Maybe Romero's "Dead" series got better as it went. Dawn was certainly better than Night haha

I disagree I think Night of the Living Dead was better. The zombies in Dawn of the Dead looked so bad but at least in Night of the Living Dead the movie was in black and white so you couldn't even see the make-up very well. They were more believable as zombies.

Sculpt
04-24-2018, 06:24 PM
I disagree I think Night of the Living Dead was better. The zombies in Dawn of the Dead looked so bad but at least in Night of the Living Dead the movie was in black and white so you couldn't even see the make-up very well. They were more believable as zombies.
I agree with you, Luv. I liked both, but I think Night of the Living Dead is much better film, having so many levels to it. If you just want to see heads blown up and people being bit, Dawn is your film, but after it's made it's point about zombie consumerism, Dawn is a fairly repetitious film.

LuvablePsycho
04-24-2018, 07:03 PM
I agree with you, Luv. I liked both, but I think Night of the Living Dead is much better film, having so many levels to it. If you just want to see heads blown up and people being bit, Dawn is your film, but after it's made it's point about zombie consumerism, Dawn is a fairly repetitious film.

Yeah and I feel like Night of the Living Dead showed a very realistic glimpse of what the apocalypse would really be like. I can picture people everywhere hiding in their homes and turning on the news trying to figure out what to do during all the panic and confusion and eventually whatever it is killing everybody else outside would make its way into their houses and kill them too. The horror in Night of the Living Dead touched me in a very real way because there was such a realism to it that other zombie movies just don't seem to capture. It's no wonder that it became an instant classic despite the low budget!

Sculpt
04-27-2018, 08:24 PM
Yeah and I feel like Night of the Living Dead showed a very realistic glimpse of what the apocalypse would really be like. I can picture people everywhere hiding in their homes and turning on the news trying to figure out what to do during all the panic and confusion and eventually whatever it is killing everybody else outside would make its way into their houses and kill them too. The horror in Night of the Living Dead touched me in a very real way because there was such a realism to it that other zombie movies just don't seem to capture. It's no wonder that it became an instant classic despite the low budget!
Well said! It was riveting... people would board up their house and watch the TV news. When I saw the naked zombie woman (from behind), I thought it was so sad and horrible, she didn't know she was naked... Then you have the fight for control, and the little girl at the end... so many dimensions of horror.

LuvablePsycho
04-28-2018, 10:17 AM
Well said! It was riveting... people would board up their house and watch the TV news. When I saw the naked zombie woman (from behind), I thought it was so sad and horrible, she didn't know she was naked... Then you have the fight for control, and the little girl at the end... so many dimensions of horror.

Yeah the naked female zombie was shocking. It made me wonder why she was naked when she died and came back as a zombie (of course now when I rewatch the movie I notice the tag hanging from her wrist so she must have come from a morgue).

BTW another horror sequel I thought was better than the first two films in the series was Leprechaun 3. That movie has some funny deaths like when the leprechaun made a woman's breasts and buttocks explode and when he literally sawed a magician in half lol.

Bloof
04-29-2018, 08:03 AM

Yeah the naked female zombie was shocking. It made me wonder why she was naked when she died and came back as a zombie (of course now when I rewatch the movie I notice the tag hanging from her wrist so she must have come from a morgue).

BTW another horror sequel I thought was better than the first two films in the series was Leprechaun 3. That movie has some funny deaths like when the leprechaun made a woman's breasts and buttocks explode and when he literally sawed a magician in half lol.

Have this lined up for tonight!

LuvablePsycho
05-20-2018, 07:47 AM
I also think I liked Ju-On 2 better than Ju-On 1 even though they are both great horror movies. The second one had a more intriguing plot twist in my opinion.