PDA

View Full Version : Amicus Horror?

Toadliquor
03-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Is anyone familiar with this production company? I recently watched a few of these by sheer coincidence. I decided to watch all the Peter Cushing movies I own that I have yet to watch. I watched Tales From the Crypt, The HOuse that Dripped Blood, and Dr. Terrors House of Horrors. Well the first coincidence I noticed besides Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, was that they were all Vignette type horrors (like Trick r treat or Creepshow), and on the house that dripped Blood, It finally hit me that they were all released by this Amicus company. I feel rather stupid since this is the first I'm hearing about them. I mean, I don't really read a lot about horror movies or anything, I just watch them. So I can sort of blame my ignorance on that, but I never heard them mentioned on any horror message boards before.

My questions are, is anyone really into them? Are they all vignette style? and is Peter Cushing and Chris Lee in them? And Does anyone have any particular favorites?

fortunato
03-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Is anyone familiar with this production company? I recently watched a few of these by sheer coincidence. I decided to watch all the Peter Cushing movies I own that I have yet to watch. I watched Tales From the Crypt, The HOuse that Dripped Blood, and Dr. Terrors House of Horrors. Well the first coincidence I noticed besides Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, was that they were all Vignette type horrors (like Trick r treat or Creepshow), and on the house that dripped Blood, It finally hit me that they were all released by this Amicus company. I feel rather stupid since this is the first I'm hearing about them. I mean, I don't really read a lot about horror movies or anything, I just watch them. So I can sort of blame my ignorance on that, but I never heard them mentioned on any horror message boards before.

My questions are, is anyone really into them? Are they all vignette style? and is Peter Cushing and Chris Lee in them? And Does anyone have any particular favorites?

Yeah, Amicus put out some really cool little films. They were an interesting alternative to Hammer in their day. Not all of their films are anthologies; one of my favorite single-story films of theirs is And Now the Screaming Starts. Asylum is pretty cool, too. It's actually another anthology film.
Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee weren't always in them, either. But Amicus did borrow quite a bit of cast and crew from Hammer.

Another one of my favorites is called The Skull, actually directed by Freddie Francis. That one actually does star Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. Definitely recommended.

Straker
03-24-2012, 05:24 AM
Amicus have a pretty good catalogue of films and alot of their stuff is worth a look. They have a certain style and creative flare to them and the anthology format really suits them. I'd definatley suggest checking out:

And Now The Screaming Starts: Feels more like hammer, mostly due to the gothic setting, but its pretty solid and has some really nice scenes and great set design. Well worth a watch and one of the more underrated horror flicks out there. Awesome atmosphere.
From Beyond The Grave: Maybe their best anthology.
The Beast Must Die: Werewolf tale, with bags of style. MINI SPOILER: cool interactive feel with a short "werewolf break" at the end so you can decide who the werewolf is. :cool:
The Monster Club: Decent anthology.

They are a few of my faourites, but there will be a few I've forgotten and those fortunato mentioned are well worth a watch too. Also, Horror Hotel is a cool flick by the same producers before they became 'Amicus' I'd definatley give that a watch too if you havent already. :cool:

zwoti
03-24-2012, 07:03 AM
as well as being involved in the peter cushing Dr Who films and the Doug McClure dino movies

FreddyMyers
03-24-2012, 07:30 AM
I never realized all those films were Amicus. Dont know too much about it but also didnt know up until right now that i enjoy their movies. Netflix time.....

fortunato
03-24-2012, 09:44 AM
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3074/3051053060_4cc14213d2_z.jpg?zz=1

Toadliquor
03-24-2012, 10:58 AM
From Beyond The Grave: Maybe their best anthology.

I think I"ve seen this one before. It sort of reminds me of the plot to the Friday the 13th TV show. But insted of re-acquiring cursed items, Peter cushing is selling them. And yeah, so far from the anthologys I've watched by Amicus, that was the best one.

Thecryptkeeper
03-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Amicus is definitely a great production company. I might even argue that I prefer their films over the films Hammer made.

I agree on The House That Dripped Blood, it's by far one of the best anthology films I have seen. I recommend that you check out Asylum (another great anthology) and The Beast Must Die ( a great atmospheric werewolf film)

I would also definitely recommend And Now The Screaming Starts to any fans of gothic horror.

Elvis_Christ
03-26-2012, 10:58 PM
I might even argue that I prefer their films over the films Hammer made.

Yeah I would tend to agree. I've found them to be more entertaining anyways.

Fearonsarms
03-27-2012, 03:05 AM
I love all their films-I personally loved "Asylum" the most of their anthologies and adore "And Now The Screaming Starts" great gothic horror. "The Best must Die" was equally inventive too. I would also say I found "Tales That Witness Madness" to be their weakest. As has already been mentioned "The Monster Club" is a gorgeous anthology film too.

Elvis_Christ
03-27-2012, 02:48 PM
The Beast Must Die! was a great flick for sure. Lots of fun. Really liked Asylum too.

Chief Brody
04-08-2012, 04:48 AM
Also a big Amicus fan. Love their anthology films that they became famous for. All their great films have already been covered on here; and of my favourites it would be Asylum from their anthologies and The Beast Must Die from their straight films.